fb

Fantasy Writers

Friendly debates here!

Viewing 12 posts - 151 through 162 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    C. Leonard
    @lady-grace

@jared-williams

(now im interested….). so…….. what parts made you laugh? ? ?

Hanniumm wearing a frilly nightgown, the scene where Aefflaed finds out they’ll be riding a bear, the diamond poop😂. I think there may be a few others, but they don’t want to be remembered right now, lol.

Live a life filled with wonder

Mr.Trip Williams
    @jared-williams

So… Okay. it’s hard to think of debatable topics cause many of us agree to so much. lol…

Here is an interesting topic… I’ve personally done a lot of research, but would be interested to hear what other people think.

When a Christian dies, the common platitude is that he/she is with Jesus in heaven now. However, besides when Jesus said to the thief “Today, you will be with me in paradise…”, I do not recollect any other specific verse that says we go to heaven after we die…

On the other hand, there is verses that talk about the resurrection of the dead at the end of days and as we rise with Christ, there will be a new heaven and a new earth, and we will live upon the new earth in the new Jerusalem and Jesus will be our king…

so…. my question is… which do you think it is? Do we “sleep” in the earth until the resurrection, or do we go straight to heaven to wait….?

(I will say, I have my opinion on it, and there are people on both sides who use the Bible to support their beliefs…. and I still firmly believe the Bible Does NOT contradict itself… but still interested in your thoughts. 🙂 _)

Oh, a second question(s), I guess…. do you have doubts about Christianity? Do you think the Bible is inerrant or are there parts of the Bible that you feel contradicts itself?  Has there ever been a question about your faith that has ‘stumped’ you? Would love to hear them!

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and left untried. ~ G.K.C.

C. Leonard
    @lady-grace

@jared-williams

So… Okay. it’s hard to think of debatable topics cause many of us agree to so much. lol…

Haha, yeah

When a Christian dies, the common platitude is that he/she is with Jesus in heaven now. However, besides when Jesus said to the thief “Today, you will be with me in paradise…”, I do not recollect any other specific verse that says we go to heaven after we die…

so…. my question is… which do you think it is? Do we “sleep” in the earth until the resurrection, or do we go straight to heaven to wait….?

That’s an interesting thought. I’ve never actually considered that before🤔

calidris
    @calidris

So this isn’t really a theological question, but I have a writing related discussion for you guys involving modesty.

1 Peter 3:3-4

3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.

4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

My understanding is that this verse relating to modesty really focuses on expressions of materialism and status rather than indecency or revealing clothing.  To be clear, we’re supposed to dress appropriately as well, and not wear revealing or indecent clothes (although I will say, this topic is really heavily debated, there’s a whole spectrum of stances on it, and I’m not really wanting to debate on that right now XD)

So here’s the issue.  I’ve got a few extremely fashion forward, impeccably dressed male characters in my story who all fall somewhere on a sliding scale of flamboyance.  Now this story is set in the upper crust of a vaguely mid-1900s society, so naturally the people in this circle are well dressed.  However, these characters are running around on a spectrum of “handsomely dressed” to “completely outrageous,” and are considered rather dressy even by their society’s standards (Kit from the character castle is the main example, but there’s a couple of others – including his eccentric older brother Jasper, who claims to have “taught” him fashion XD)

So, I was curious about what you guys think.  Is this an issue?  Are these guys being immodest?  Does it all depend on motives, or is there a clear “too fancy” line?  I personally think a lot of it has to do with motives – I don’t think there’s anything wrong with fancy clothes, but we shouldn’t turn to them for our self worth, and we shouldn’t rely on them to define our value.  I think a lot of it has to do with the context and occasion too – some clothes are appropriate in one time and place, but not so much in another.

As for these characters, it’s an expression of personal style – nothing more, nothing less.  They’re just having fun with it because they can, and because it they think it looks cool (they’ll disagree with each other on that one though lol).  And to be clear, these characters aren’t effeminate – and this has absolutely nothing to do with their sexuality or any gender issues or anything like that.  I don’t think they have ulterior motives – it’s not a competition or anything, and I don’t think they’re intentionally trying to show off their wealth.  Again, they just like nice things.

So, what do you guys think?

Unrelated, but I don’t know how all of the fashionistas ended up being male???  It’s funny to me, because it just kind of…happened XD

Also guys I’m really not looking to start an argument on gender roles or anything – I just have to throw that out there because the topics of modesty and masculinity are EXTREMELY volatile and I’m just not prepared to get in a debate on that XD

*laughs as one fey*

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

Hi @calidris,

I think too often we miss the central issue of what Peter was saying:

1 Peter 3:3-4 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

He is pointing to the importance of having a beautiful soul and not just superficial and showing dress and outward adornments.

Some people may be coiffed to the nines, have a sharply cut and tailored suit, golden cuff links, a $200 haircut, clean shaven, with buffed and manicured fingernails, and be such an ugly person on the inside that does not comport with their outward appearance.

Remember where God’s focus is.  Two verses come to mind:
    But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for [the LORD seeth] not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart. [1 Samuel 16:7 KJV]

Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ’s, let him of himself think this again, that, as he [is] Christ’s, even so [are] we Christ’s. [2 Corinthians 10:7 KJV]

Peter is not prohibiting the wearing of nice clothes or jewelry, or a fancy hair-do, but is asserting that these should not be a woman’s primary source of beauty.

Too often women who desire to look attractive to men, may get caught up in those things thinking that their outward appearance is what makes them beautiful, but Peter is reminding them that a beautiful character, and a pure and loving heart should predominate and define what is or is not “beautiful”.

He is essentially saying be beautiful in what matters to God and in the place where He is focused, rather than trying merely to be beautiful in the shallow view of where human males look.

The principle thing is loving God most and considering that His view is on your heart and not your body.  When you take that understanding the pressure of trying to please males will be off of you, but that inner spark of light and freedom, knowing God loves your heart has a way of making its way outward in your countenance and behavior and in the settling of your spirit knowing you are His treasure and you need not live in the fear of being rejected by the foolish standards of men.

Does that help?

In the KJV version, it actually uses the word “heart”:

Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, [even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. [1 Peter 3:3-4 KJV]

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

calidris
    @calidris

@obrian-of-the-surface-world that actually really does help!  Thank you so much for your input!

*laughs as one fey*

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@calidris You are very welcome! 😁

Scripture illuminates scripture.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@…everyone *grins*

Hello, I’m here! Did someone tag me?! *looks around empty room* Oops, might be a little late to the party lol. Anywho, great to see the debate thread open again. Apologies for my lateness. My characters had me…erm, detained for awhile XD.

I won’t try to catch up with all the debates, but rather, go back to the most pressing and concerning of them all: should fire-breathing turtles be classified as dragons, turtles, or something else.

@lady-grace

By the way, I’m Lily and it’s really nice to meet you! Welcome to the S.E forum; I hope you’ve been having a great time. By the way, I love the term you coined, ‘voluntold’ XD. My younger sister did something similar, except she voluntold herself to be my editor *lol*.

But back to the debate. Personally, I think fire breathing turtles are just turtles who breathe fire (though I’m happy to go with a ‘shell dragon’.)

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Adnyole
    @adnyole

Hey, Kinda late to the party but I got some comments from the peanut gallery. I think a lot of what Christians can consume comes down to their personal freedom and their personal weaknesses. Each person needs to discern with their people and God, what they can and can’t handle. Some read LOTR, some can’t, some read Harry Potter, some adamantly refuse to. I’m not sure I can determine whose convictions are objectively correct, but maybe not all convictions are completely objective.

Still, I don’t think Christians should read fiction that glorifies evil as if it were good, or is particularly crude/ sexual. That is some dangerous territory. I also don’t think horror, or particularly spiritual horror, in particular, is great for Christians to consume either. I think the world offers enough of that and it shouldn’t be an entertainment option– reminds me too much of Roman Gladiators or real demonization. But I won’t vehemently condemn any brethren who enjoy that stuff either, I’d just let them know it concerns me if I felt it necessary. It’s between God and that person ultimately. (That said I think non-fiction is different because that can be read in order to gain perspective for the purpose of conversation and understanding ‘the lost’ but again requires good personal discernment)

Now for cussing… I think it can be honest… honest that people cuss, secular people cuss and even Christians cuss sometimes. The Bible uses cuss words probably more than most people realize cause they’ve been, ah, censored out. I think we should take our writing from the Bible — it doesn’t gloss over anything sinful (not even cussing), it is matter of fact, it glorifies God, it uses its descriptions and words intentionally and its context is extremely important. I think the intentions and purpose behind the usage are what matter the most. I would only use a select few cuss words in life for very specific emotional emphasis and since I don’t use said words regularly, that makes the point even more impactful. (Like when Paul says he considers his accomplishments to be dung in light of Christ. I learned the term for dung is much more, shall we say potent?)

But I think censorship of such words can be useful in writing especially for Christian authors. A good ‘&%*$^@’ is a great way to indicate cussing without making the audience read it. Or you can just say ‘He swore’. ‘Johnny cursed. ‘You— ‘ (insert interruption here). The reader gets the point without the onslaught of language. I prefer that when I am reading so I use it in writing.

Sydney Witbeck
    @sydney

Kind of random….but didn’t know where else to post this…

In case anyone wants to know, we have 802 days left of Biden as President

C. Leonard
    @lady-grace

@imwritehere1920

My characters had me…erm, detained for awhile XD.

I won’t try to catch up with all the debates, but rather, go back to the most pressing and concerning of them all: should fire-breathing turtles be classified as dragons, turtles, or something else.

😂
    Yes! It’s very concerning, and it has now grow to a bigger issue. They are getting colds and their heads are imploding when they sneeze.
    *chokes on laughter* well, sort of… it’s just regular dragons that have colds. … I think XD

By the way, I’m Lily and it’s really nice to meet you! Welcome to the S.E forum; I hope you’ve been having a great time. By the way, I love the term you coined, ‘voluntold’ XD. My younger sister did something similar, except she voluntold herself to be my editor *lol*.

Hello, Lily! It’s nice to meet you, too. I’m Chloe🙂.
    I have! It’s been a lot of fun meeting other writers and making my always happy character cry.
    Haha, yeah, she may or may not have threatened to write the book if I didn’t… 😂

But back to the debate. Personally, I think fire breathing turtles are just turtles who breathe fire (though I’m happy to go with a ‘shell dragon’.)

Ok, now… what if the turtle had wings and could fly? 😂Jkjk

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@lady-grace

Oh dear (I hope you meant the turtle and not my characters’ head exploding *hears crashing in background* Erm, but who can tell with that crazy lot of mine? XD)

But either way, you should’ve seen my baby dragon with the hiccups! It’s a miracle the house is still standing! *hides scorched rug behind dresser* *grins*

Hey, that’s great! I’m glad to hear everything is going well. Lol, my sister was tempted to rewrite my book too.

Hmm, turtles with wings? That’d be interesting…

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Viewing 12 posts - 151 through 162 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest