fb

Fantasy Writers

Feedback 2.0

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Lona
    @lonathecat

Hello again, lovely people!

So, I have here a continuation of the Life and Death section that I put in my last Feedback forum. (Though, this time I have it as a Google Doc instead of a too-long forum. Heh.)

As last time, if you want to read it, then great! Any feedback would be appreciated.

Have a nice day. 😀

Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_vK_ZxVECNUN1O1jBcbfYUfnTGyK7Xhs8j9ljmVgrKg/edit

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

Read and LOVED it!! Will you give my thoughts as soon as I find the time. (So probably not tonight, but hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday night!

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Lona
    @lonathecat

@mischievous-thwapling

I’m gad you liked it! I look forward to seeing your comments, but no rush, take your time. 😀

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@lonathecat

Nice!! That was so awesome. Just some notes:

“Accordingly, he was reluctant to let his daughters create such a creature, but when they assured him that they would personally teach the creature, he relented.”

I would suggest cutting the second “the creature” and replacing it with, “it.” The two “creatures” just sound mite word-y to me. 🙂

“The other creature had taken on a larger, more powerful, form.”

I think that it would be grammatically correct to cut the second comma after powerful, but I might be wrong (I’m not completely sure) and if you put it there for pausing effect, then keep it. 😀

“When they saw Life and Death before them, they were terrified, and cried out.”

I think the comma needs to be cut after terrified.

” ‘You are both People. You are Man, and she is Woman.’ Death explained patiently, “For just like your names, each is a part of the other.’ ”

I think it would be: “You are both People. You are Man, and she is Woman (comma instead of period),” Death explained patiently (period instead of comma), “For… etc.”

I know that sounds silly that it’s reversed like that, but I know that the comma should be there before Death.  As for the “period instead of a comma”, well, if that’s a continuation of Death’s sentence, then you should keep the comma and make the “F” in “For” lowercase, but if it’s a new sentence for what Death is saying, I believe grammatically it would be a period. 🙂

You did great job, and I really loved reading it!! I hope in my critique, I didn’t sound like a know-it-all or harsh… I have a hard time not sounding mean when I’m giving critique..

And, uh, I’m really, really sorry, but on the part where it’s talking about how Man seems ready to face more trials, I was trying to copy and paste it to give you a note, but I accidentally suggested an edit, and I can’t fix it b/c I can only suggest, not actually edit.  So I suppose you will have to delete that.  I’m so sorry, it didn’t mean to!

~Author Unknown

Lona
    @lonathecat

@mischievous-thwapling

Thank you so much! Those were super helpful! I think I fixed all the grammar stuff.

And don’t worry about your critiquing sounding harsh.

“If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise. ” (Prov. 15:31)

And I do believe you mean constructive, not destructive criticisms. 🙂

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Lona.
    Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@lonathecat

Yay! Glad I could be of some help!  And thank you, I always want to give that constructive criticism, y’know? 🙂

~Author Unknown

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@lonathecat

*bursts through the door waving a sheet of paper in my hand, then doubles over and catches breath. “I — finally — made it!” Hands you the paper and then sheepishly makes my exit. You read the paper:*

Ah! That was so good! I read the part before it, and it is so creative! I like, first of all, how Death is not mean, lol. That’s how I thought she was going to act. Your story is like a telling of creation from the point of some other religion or a people who do not know God. Now, I was just thinking of this, but do the Man and Woman and all the other creatures have a land to live in?

I get myself tangled up when I’m writing, trying to make it easy to read and understandable. You did such a good job with this in your story; you made it sound elegant and gentle and easily understandable.

Here are a couple of grammar things I thought that I might point out, I just hope I’m right about them! If I’m wrong, ignore me 😛

The smaller creature’s face contorted, its eyebrows pushed together and its mouth opened but no words escaped.

(I put the suggestions in italics; but if it was meant to be the other way for style or something else, ignore them 😉 I think it could go either way)

The two creatures looked at each other, realized the same thought at the same moment, and turned back to the sisters. The larger one spoke. “No, no we do not know our names.” He paused, “What are they, may I ask?”

(maybe just add that word for extra clarity?)

These are just suggestions, and I hope I didn’t come off as a smarty pants or something (I’m actually not very smart); it’s hard to give advice! You are really good at taking advice. Anyhow, I really enjoyed your story. Keep up the awesome work!! 😉

Btw, that is a really wise Bible verse, Prov. 15:31

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Lona
    @lonathecat

@wingiby-iggiby

*takes paper, uttering incoherent exclamations of happiness and bouncing up and down like a sugar-high toddler. “Thank youuuuu!” Proceeds to devour paper’s contents. *

Yeah, I’ve always been kind of annoyed how people make death this terrible, horrifyingly evil thing, so… in my fictional universe it’s just not haha. 😛

The creatures and Man and Woman have a land (actually a planet, but same difference haha) that Life and Death chose for them. With Life and Death’s help they (the creatures and Man and Woman) turn it into a more livable, and overall more pleasant place to live.

Thank you so much! That means a lot! 😀

My goodness…*facepalm* How did I miss 3 -eds in one sentence? That has to be a record.

Oh, you’re right that does make it sound more clear. Thanks!

No worries! You came across very well-meaning and helpful.

And what are you taking about? From what I can tell you definitely know your stuff. 😀

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@lona-the-cat

*”You got it!!!” Dances absurd little jig*

For Christians, death certainly shouldn’t be horrifying. So you hit the nail on the head for that one. 😉

Ohh…. (I’m ohh-ing about your explanation for their world and how it makes sense now 😛 ) ….

Thank you so much! That means a lot!

You are totally welcome! 😀

No worries! You came across very well-meaning and helpful.

Oh, thank you! I’m so glad I was a help! 😀 (I love smilies 😀 😀 😀 )

And what are you taking about? From what I can tell you definitely know your stuff.

Thank you; you are really nice! 😀

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@lonathecat

Oh man, I’ve been doing your tag all wrong! *face-palms, head-bang-on-desk, pulls hair 😛 * I think I am the only person on this forum who keeps getting tags wrong at least once every time I post something!

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Wingiby Iggiby. Reason: I forgot the @ in front of you tag. Typical of me. 😛

Lona
    @lonathecat

@wingiby-iggiby

So you hit the nail on the head for that one.

I always laugh a little to myself when people put me and that expression together. I am very clumsy (and really, really, spacey when I’m tired), so let’s just say giving me hammer…is not a very smart idea… 😛

Yesss! Smilies are great! I was actually talking about this with a friend the other day. She uses all sorts of emojis -hearts, bongos, smilies, llamas…you get the idea haha-, and I only use smilies. My reasoning, is that, llamas are nice, but smilies are nice and they are just so much more helpful. You have no tone or facial expression when you just use text to communicate, so, obviously, you need smilies. Thus, I say smilies win. 😀

Thank you; you are really nice!

You’re really nice, too! Actually, all you StoryEmbers people are really nice. Why can’t I have you guys as my neighbors instead of the ones that insist on blasting rap music until three in the morning? Ah well… (They’re not that bad, though. They own a really good soup restaurant, they’re just loud. 😀 )

And all good! I mean, I probably miss like 5 commas every time I post, but I don’t even bother to try and fix it, so good job to you. 😀

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@lonathecat

Ha ha (how do you express laughing correctly?….)! 😛 I can get spacey too (and sometimes my brain doesn’t work); example: when I was supposed to be concentrating on molar mass for chemistry, but I was just like: “hmmm…molar mass is equal to…… I wonder if I’ll get on the forum later…..atomic weight…..I want to draw that picture after school…..expressed in…my dream last night was SO weird….grams?” pause. “Huh?”

EXACTLY!! Smileys are SO helpful, I just wish I knew more. And llamas are nice, but what are you trying to say with a llama? 😛 And, of all of the others, I think hearts and the thumbs-up are the best.

Aww, thanks! I’ve found everybody’s really kind on here too, which is so awesome! And we have a neighbor that on occasion plays loud music too! I was lying in bed one night and I was hearing their house’s heartbeat…. boom boom boom boom boom boom….. But they didn’t do it for that long, and I’ve only heard it twice, so that’s a relief.

Ha, right? I see a typo almost every time I post, so I just won’t read them after I post 😛

Lona
    @lonathecat

@wingiby-iggiby

Oh boy haha. Chem with so many other things sounds difficult. 😛

Yeah, thumbs up are pretty good too. I also use them all the time in real life when I want to give a response to a person, but don’t feel like talking haha.

Oh that’s good that they don’t play it too often! (Also; love your wording there. The house’s heartbeat. 😀 ) My neighbors actually play their rap music as background music for their restaurant (their restaurant is directly across the street from my family’s house) so we used to hear it about every other night, really late at night. Buuuuuuut then all my other neighbors got mad and made a petition, so now they have to shut the restaurant music off at midnight. 🙂

Oh, smart haha. I think I’ll start doing that. 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest