Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

(Hey guys, I forgot to mention that Virtus is one-handed. Okay, I actually forgot. XD So, IDK if it’s easier to pretend that he has two or to switch, so… erm. 😛 I guess I’ll switch for now, then if it’s too much of a hassle I’ll forget about it. Again. XD)

Virtus’ brown eyes flicked back and forth between Isaac and the lad as they argued. Whoops. Had he made a mistake in voting Isaac when everyone else had been for the lad? Too late now.

Isaac’s reasoning stung, but it was logical. Virtus was a soldier; he’d done this kind of thing twice now. He understood, and he had agreed to follow Isaac. He was determined to stick with that.

“Denied. Reason one, I have ranged weapons, explosive and knifes and I know how to use them well.”

Explosives? Those must be the odd things Isaac carried around. Virtus quenched his desire to find out more.

“Reason two,” Isaac continued. “You lack any knowledge of the man’s position. This castle changes. Rooms that used to be joined won’t be when you return. Which leads to reason three. If you leave, there is a better chance of you not returning and then we would have two missing instead of one.”

“Sir…” the lad’s voice soft. “Either you’ll have to ostracize me from the group, or determine an appropriate punishment for insurrection.”

“Idea!” Virtus shouted. Everyone turned and looked at him, including Vulferym. Whoops, Virtus thought again. I guess we’re not going for subtlety?

“What?” Isaac asked.

Virtus felt a devilish grin overtake his face as he laid his hand on the hilt of his sword. “We don’t have to go find him. Why not have him find us? It might attract unwanted attention, but if we’re ready for it, we would probably be able to survive it. If we create some kind of noise, or something, then we might be able to lead this…” he glanced at the book, which was laying open on the table between then. “This Avatus to us, while still sticking together. It’s a risk, but I think we could pull it off.”

——————————————

@rusted-knight

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it can’t be done alone.
    ~AP

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

“We don’t have to go find him. Why not have him find us? It might attract unwanted attention, but if we’re ready for it, we would probably be able to survive it. If we create some kind of noise, or something, then we might be able to lead this…this Avatus to us, while still sticking together. It’s a risk, but I think we could pull it off.” said Virtus.

Isaac remembered the dragon and shivered. He had few fears but that monster was one of them.

“I would rather not. I just about destroyed the dragon’s right arm and it regenerated the limb in under a minute. I also suspect that it learned how it was hurt because it avoided my second attack. I doubt we could destroy the monster.”

Isaac now noticed that Virtus had only one hand. his combat potential was smaller than Isaac had initially thought. This group could not kill the dragon. Not a chance. Making noise might draw it in and that would be the end of them.

Almost on que, a roar echoed into the room. Isaac snatched up his pack and ran toward the door opposite the sound.

“Run.”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Hey guys, I forgot to mention that Virtus is one-handed.

Dude that’s cool, is there a story behind him being one-handed? (*insert big puppy eyes here*)

“Idea!” Alessio jumped out of his skin at the voice. Virtus glanced around, realizing he’d gotten everyone’s attention. It surprised him but Alessio really liked Virtus, he seemed pretty personable and maybe almost trustworthy. Almost…possibly…
    “What?” Isaac asked
    Alessio immediately felt some misgivings as an implike grin crept across Virtus’ face, one that had the potential to put the mischievous fae to shame. On his own Alessio could get into a lot of trouble, he wasn’t sure he needed help implementing bad ideas…
    “We don’t have to go find him. Why not have him find us? It might attract unwanted attention, but if we’re ready for it, we would probably be able to survive it. If we create some kind of noise, or something, then we might be able to lead this…This Avatus to us, while still sticking together. It’s a risk, but I think we could pull it off.”
    Exactly what are you planning to do to make noise? With all the warning signs that this would be a horrible idea, Alessio was intrigued. Was that actually feasible? It–Alessio looked up at Isaac, waiting for his response. Even if Alessio didn’t like it he was still in command.                                                                                                                                                                                    “I would rather not. I just about destroyed the dragon’s right arm and it regenerated the limb in under a minute. I also suspect that it learned how it was hurt because it avoided my second attack. I doubt we could destroy the monster.”                   Dragons? There were only domesticated dragons or the dragons in the Sioan Forest…? There was a reverberating roar.            “Run.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                        “Have you ever tried to outrun a dragon before?” Alessio retorted as he followed orders and dashed for the door, halting halfway with his bow ready waiting for the others to get in first.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

A roar reverberated throughout the room, making everyone jump. Virtus unconsciously grasped his sword hilt. Dragons were myths. He’d never heard of one re-growing forgotten limbs.

“Run,” Isaac cried, springing away towards a doorway. The lad followed hesitantly.

“Wait!” Virtus shouted. “If the castle changes, it can redirect us straight into a trap – or a dragon’s jaws. We need to figure out how to kill it.” His eyes narrowed. His stump itched.

“Kill it?” someone repeated.

“It is made entirely of metal,” Isaac said. “And it regenerates its body. Even if we slew the beast, would it not return?”

The question was obviously meant as a statement, but Virtus just grinned. “Maybe. It’s made of metal? Does it perchance have a digestion system? Or…” he glanced at Brendin and the lad. He had noticed the fire flickering over the lad’s hand, and had momentarily been surprised. Perhaps there were more than just three Fire powers.

Bringing his gaze back to Isaac, Virtus strode over to him. “Does any of it melt?”

————————-

@rusted-knight

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it can’t be done alone.
    ~AP

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“Denied.” Isaac already had an answer. “Reason one, I have ranged weapons, explosives and knives, and I know how to use them well. Reason two, you lack any knowledge of the man’s position. This castle changes. Rooms that used to be joined won’t be when you return. Which leads to reason three. If you leave, there is a better chance of you not returning and then we would have two missing instead of one.”

Nithel’s face became a perfect mask, except for his eyes. They were open portals, trying to understand, but failing. So he made basic assumptions until later.

But did Alessio understand? Nithel’s eyes slowly slid toward his friend, though glanced back to their leader a few times.

“I respect your wish to find the missing person but you are important to this group. I cannot risk anyone over something, or someone, that has these slim chances of success.”

The words were reasonable.

But Alessio’s arms tensed the smallest bit. He disagreed. Nithel tried to feel Alessio’s emotions, thinking about everything he knew about the youth. What just happened.

Nithel felt a burning inside himself, pain. Physical burning and pain, but truly in Nithel’s mind… His pity for the youth increased, and his love. Alessio doesn’t want to leave the man behind. He doesn’t plan to. Noble. Some of the greatest fools are heroes. Nithel’s chest clenched painfully as he stared at his friend.

Alessio didn’t look up, glaring at the table as if it was the root of his problems.

Then Nithel’s brows lowered. His eyes getting a sliver of fear. Fire. Fire flickered on Alessio’s finger. Real fire. Noy. That-

It disapeared, but re-lit. Then went out, just to relight again.

Alessio was getting tenser, biting his lip. Nithel felt his own arms and shoulders tighten. What am I seeing? How? Not even stars,

Nithel swallowed hard, waiting as the men spoke. He shut his eyes a second, then reopened them. Still there. Now completely burning. 

Alessio was looking at him, Nithel didn’t look away. He always made eye-contact, but still, his eyes were far away. It felt like a hand grabbed his chest. Noy, zounds, and egad! What is that?

Alessio’s hand disappeared inside his cloak. Nithel’s breath trembled. The fire wasn’t real. It didn’t burn his clothes. NOY and EGAD. It didn’t burn his hand? What was it? Was he a warlock too? Noy noy noy. 

Nithel’s lips tightened. Or was he some strange race? Like the trees, or people of the water? One who was born with flames? It was the thing of untold legends. Stars didn’t even retain their fire after becoming men. Noy NOY NOYY. 

Nithel’s eyes weren’t wide, but his thoughts were written in them. Panic. His mind somewhat gathered what Alessio was asking him.

Gain possession. Nithel growled in his mind, and though still racing, he was able to make his body loosen its tension. Noy, and egad. 

Alessio’s eyes said ‘tell no one’. Tell no one! Egad! Why tell a one? Could they explain the mystery? Would they take the time? Likely not. And there might be danger to Alessio if they knew. Best not. 

BUT WHAT WAS IT? HOW? Alessio would answer. Nithel’s mouth was dry, and he found it hard to clear his throat. Noy, noy, noy. But Alessio wouldn’t answer now.

The smallest bit of white smoke shown, leaked from beneath Alessio’s jacket. Nithel shut his eyes.

“Sir…” Alessio considered softly “either you’ll have to ostracize me from the group, or determine an appropriate punishment for insurrection.”

Nithel’s eyes fluttered open. He had heard, but wished he hadn’t. Truly? The leader hadn’t even been elected a span before you’re trying to steal his thrown. Boy, boy, boy… You still have much to learn. 

“Idea!” Virtus shouted, and Nithel nearly jumped from his skin.

What?

The man looked slightly embarrassed a moment.

But Isaac didn’t wait. “What?”

Nithel liked him. The man ran his eyes once over the leader. A cool head, he held logic, but also wisdom. But how would he keep this group in line?

Nithel’s eyes fell back to Virtus, and his chest tingled. What a stare.

The hair on Nithel’s arms went up. Like a mindless robber. Noy, where am I? Is this all a dream? He lowered his head, eyes clenching.

“We don’t have to go find him. Why not have him find us? It might attract unwanted attention, but if we’re ready for it, we would probably be able to survive it. If we create some kind of noise, or something, then we might be able to lead this…”

Nithel peeked his eyes open slightly. He glanced toward Alessio.

“This Avatus to us, while still sticking together. It’s a risk, but I think we could pull it off.”

His eyes went to their leader. And the man shivered a moment.

“I would rather not.” His voice was even, strong. “I just about destroyed the dragon’s right arm and it regenerated the limb in under a minute. I also suspect that it learned how it was hurt because it avoided my second attack. I doubt we could destroy the monster.”

Nithel didn’t know what a dragon was. But he had already learned to fear it.

There was a reverberating roar.

Nithel ducked, lips tightening. His sling and a stone were out in a second. But they would be of no use from what he’d heard.

“Run.” Isaac was already springing away towards a doorway. Alessio followed hesitantly.

Nithel’s chest clenched. Why go into that door? Why? What if the thing was in there? The noise had not reached them yet. Nithel wanted to stay. But submitting, even dying for authority, was a must. And Alessio had gone. 

“Wait!” Virtus shouted, and Nithel jumped in start again.

“If the castle changes, it can redirect us straight into a trap – or a dragon’s jaws. We need to figure out how to kill it.”

That made sense. But Nithel still didn’t trust him. Even a villain can have a good mind. “Kill it? H-”ow?

“It is made entirely of metal,” Isaac had turned around. “And it regenerates its body. Even if we slew the beast, would it not return?”

The question was obviously meant as a statement, but Virtus just grinned again. That disgusting grin. The man was sick.

“Maybe. It’s made of metal? Does it perchance have a digestion system? Or…” the man glanced right over Nithel, to the two with fire.

Virtus then strode toward Isaac.

Nithel put the stone in his sling.

“Does any of it melt?”

Nithel’s brows lifted, and though still tense, he didn’t let fly at Virtus. Wow. That was genius!  And fire… Nithel made himself not glance back to Alessio. If the dragon was metal, they could melt it. But…. how did metal move? Metal wasn’t alive? 

Nithel slowly calmed himself to normal. He looked to their leader. Gabrel and Amit had driven it into him, One was not supposed to speak with authority unless spoken to. None here seemed to follow that rule. 

Nithel then took several steps backward, toward Alessio. He still didn’t look at his friend, however.

@rusted-knight
    @this-is-not-an-alien @joelle-stone @anne_the_noob14 @skylarynn @sylvain-alistair

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Wait!” Virtus burst again, Alessio instinctively glanced at Isaac. He didn’t have a problem questioning authority but in the middle of a crisis there’s no time to argue. “If the castle changes, it can redirect us straight into a trap–or a dragon’s jaws. We need to figure out how to kill it.”
    Alessio had heard of melting iron and mixing the substance with meats or something that would emit a scent the dragon might like. In theory the dragon ate the substance which would eventually solidity as it cooled in its stomach killing the beast (dragons in Casumbra don’t breathe fire anymore but retain a heat-repellant body). Some dragon hunters in the old days knew how to do that. Alessio wasn’t one of those people.
    “It is made entirely of metal,” Isaac returned But there’s not any time to debate this! Unless Isaac thought it might be more sensible? “And it regenerates its body. Even if we slew the beast, would it not return?”
    Was he welcoming different ideas from the group? Alessio stared at Isaac, he’d never met anyone in any position of authority who accepted any advice or difference of opinion from his subordinates. Alessio really had believed he’d be severely punished for arguing, he’d taken for granted he’d pay for every outburst, it just seemed worth it if he had a chance of finding the missing person.
    “Maybe.” Virtus grinned “It’s made of metal? Does it perchance have a digestion system? Or…” He glanced over at Brendin and then at Alessio. Alessio flinched and bit back the urge to look down at his hand to ensure it wasn’t still on fire. The moment Virtus turned to Isaac Alessio peeked furtively at Nithel, who avoided his gaze.
    “Does any of it melt?” Alessio could hear Virtus ask in the back of his mind but he wasn’t paying attention. His eyes were fixed on Nithel trying desperately to meet his gaze. I can explain, please, I didn’t mean to, it’s not something I can control…Too late. It was really the best he could expect, ability-borns were usually killed the moment they were discovered, he was ‘lucky’ his mother decided to bring him to a wizard to magically push his abilities to his subconscious so he couldn’t use them. She probably never learned he’d accidentally reactivated them and she probably wouldn’t have cared. If Nithel didn’t say anything it was more than Alessio could’ve hoped for. But he’d wanted a friend so much..
    Nithel backed closer to him, still not meeting his gaze. Alessio swallowed a shaky breath. He hated his ability so much. If I’d been born normal none of this would’ve happened to me. He would’ve have been manipulated, starved, broken if…And, if I’d ever learned how to shut up. He amended. People always treated him differently, first for being of a scandalous birth and then for being an ability-born. He just knew he’d always be an outcast, he’d just thought maybe this time it’d be different. Why was he always so stupid, he always wanted to think that there were good people or that good people would accept him, he couldn’t help being born like this.
    Nithel was going to treat him differently from now on, wasn’t he?
    “I’ll fight it, sir,” Alessio said quietly to Isaac “if you order me to. It would give you enough time to escape.” He hoped the dragon killed him, he was so tired of good people distancing themselves from him and bad people using him. Maybe his ability would be useful just this once.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“I’ll fight it, sir,” Alessio spoke quietly.

Nithel looked toward him, the man’s eyes were warm, still kind. Whether Alessio was some strange race that could use fire, or a warlock… He was his friend. The first couldn’t be helped, and the latter was wrong. But a wrong could be righted. Confusion fought in the gates of Nithel’s eyes, but he wouldn’t give up what he knew, for what he didn’t. Alessio was his friend.

“if you order me to. It would give you enough time to escape.” Alessio’s voice was of one who had given up. On everything.

Why? What had brought that about? “You won’t fight alone.” Nithel’s tone was firm, still staring at the youth. Whatever the thing was, he wouldn’t leave his friend. Even if he died. ‘Death is where friendships are sealed.’ Nithel had won against wolves, and a bear…. But this seemed different.

He waited, silent.

_________

@rusted-knight
    @this-is-not-an-alien @joelle-stone @anne_the_noob14 @skylarynn @sylvain-alistair

Jominkreesa

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

“I’ll fight it, sir, if you order me to.” The lad sounded like he had given up. “It would give you enough time to escape.”

“You won’t fight alone,” Nithel replied, firm. He was staring at the lad, and Virtus noted the swirl of emotion in his eyes.

Virtus really wanted to say something, but he just straightened his back and turned his eyes on Isaac. He thought this was a time to stay quiet and let the leader work things out. The soldier thought that, if they set it up right, the small group might be able to defeat this metal dragon, but to do so they would have to make a plan, and make it fast.

As if in answer to his thoughts, a low growl echoed through the room, along with the sound of claws scraping across stone.

——————————

@rusted-knight

@everyone: is this really the dragon, or another critter? ‘Cause we do have gryphons and pretty much everything else imaginable at our disposal to torture our characters with. XD

~AP

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“You won’t fight alone.” Alessio wasn’t sure he’d actually heard that. It wasn’t something he’d ever expected to hear, maybe he just wanted it so much his mind fooled him. For several second Alessio didn’t dare look at Nithel, certain if he did it would prove he hadn’t really said it. Or maybe it was a trick, maybe…
    He finally did unwillingly dart a glance at Nithel. Just as quickly he dropped his eyes when Nithel met his gaze, sure he’d see too much. He was so desperate for any kind of acceptance anyone could–and had before–take advantage of him. This was stupid, he couldn’t keep getting his hopes up so quickly. This was so stupid there was no way Nithel actually meant to genuinely…befriend him. How many times was this now? So many times he kept immediately trusting people or letting them back in and then…
    Slowly Alessio’s dark eyes drifted back to Nithel. Please don’t do this me. If you don’t actually care please don’t pretend it’s…He couldn’t even finish the thought. He really still hoped Nithel was his friend…

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Alessio wouldn’t look at him for a time.

Then when he did it was just a flash. A flash of desperation and fear. Have I harmed you? Nithel’s chest ached some at the thought. He doubted it was likely, Yet still.

Alessio’s dark eyes slowly lifted again. Locking on Nithel’s confused ones. Please don’t do this to me. If you don’t actually care, please don’t pretend you do. Such raw pain and fear. Like that of Corban. The child when he had fallen in the water. 

But Corban had trusted him, Alessio did not. That cut all in itself. Nithel let the pain fill his eyes, but also a kind love.

Small anger touched his eyes as well, at those who had harmed this boy. That had wounded him so deeply. It made Nithel want to find them. That firey anger wasn’t very small seconds later.

This anger isn’t towards you. Nithel wanted to say, but hoped it was in his eyes. That hope, and steady love was in his eyes beside the fire that slowly dulled.

Nithel would have spoken. He would have touched Alessio’s shoulder, and spoken as if he was his son. Their eyes still locked. But too many were watching. Alessio wouldn’t appreciate being made a spectacle when trying to gain respect. Would he? Nithel didn’t know. But he waited, still looking into his friend’s eyes.

I will not leave you.

_________

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

“I’ll fight it, sir, if you order me to. It would give you enough time to escape.” said Alessio.

“You won’t fight alone,” reassured Nithel.

Isaac smiled, an unfamiliar movement. Closer now, a steady pounding of steel on stone echoed ominously.

“Such sacrifice is not necessary.”

Listening carefully, Isaac guessed the path the dragon was coming from. The doorway was framed in stone, a structural arch like all the doors. Reaching into his coat, Isaac drew the flaregun. Breaking open the breach, he loaded the grenade.

“Everyone into the passage, fast. I’ll slow the dragon. I got this.”

Taking aim at the keystone, he watched the others leave his peripheral vision. He could hear the dragon’s joints creaking now. Close enough. The keystone vaporized into flame. The rest of the arch crumbled into itself and onto the door. Turning, he entered the passage behind him. Quickly tying two grenades to the sides of the doorway, Isaac set a tripwire. If he could trick the dragon into fearing every doorway, it would buy them plenty of time. Brushing his hands, Isaac ran to rejoin the others.

“That tie him up for at least a half hour.”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

For one long second Nithel returned a look Alessio recognized. It had come from a bounty-hunter who’d decided to spite Asmodeus by helping him escape. He’d been one of those paradoxical killers who believed murder was wrong but didn’t apply it to his own case. Alessio had gotten that look from him moments before he offered to ‘get rid’ of his parents. Ironically enough, that same bounty-hunter was now hired to kill him and probably would if he got the chance.
    “Such sacrifice is not necessary.” Isaac said, smiling a long-shattered smile. Closer and closer the noise of the assumed dragon reverberated across the stone. Stone doesn’t burn, that was why he was trapped in stone walls when…The man pulled out a couple odd tools.
    “Everyone into the passage, fast. I’ll slow the dragon.” He pointed one of the strange items at a keystone. “I got this.”
    His voice didn’t have a lie in it. Alessio hesitated all the same, staring at Isaac’s weird equipment. In a second the keystone burst into fire cracking the arch over the doorway. Was he a wizard? No, he wasn’t mumbling spells or anything, maybe the things were enchanted, that happened, was it one of the inventions of the North?

It abruptly occurred to Alessio he was disobeying a direct order by not running. He had irritated wizards before and that was not fun; he better get moving before Isaac caught him. By the time they reached the passage Isaac was already following after.
    “That should tie him up for at least a half hour.” he said. Alessio didn’t know how long ‘a half hour’ was supposed to be but he was more interested in what other exotic tools were hidden under the man’s strange coat.
    The passage was stone like room, lacking so much as even a window for light. Instead a couple stones lining the walls emitted phantasmal multicolored glows. He felt swallowed by stone and barely managed to breath. Somewhere inside he could hear a constant siren-like trickle of water, the noise of the metal joints screeching dully, the quick tip thump of his heart seeming to trip over itself in its haste. Alessio’s eyes dropped to Nithel’s hand, wanting desperately to reach out and touch his fingers maybe just to reassure himself he was real.
    Numbly Alessio tugged his cloak tighter around himself with a morbid cocktail mix of dread and anticipation. Was Nithel going to confront him about his powers when this was over? Or pretend it didn’t happen or blackmail him, try to kill him or just ignore him?
    “It could be worse,” Alessio remarked, somehow achieving both a melodramatic and deadpan tone “We could all be estranged from our homes, being chased by some metal monstrosity, trapped in an enchanted stone castle that is bent on our own demise.”
    He peeked a glance over everyone’s reaction, giddy with an incessant, oddly freeing sort of fear that just couldn’t care anymore because something bad was going to happen whatever he did. The only thing he could do now was wait for Isaac’s next orders, or for Nithel to..he didn’t even know, or for the next bad thing to happen to him.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio waited several seconds but nobody laughed. Or gave him a weird look. Or beat him for being a snarky jerk. He was beginning to get a little uneasy at their lack of aggression toward him, he’d never had this much freedom before he was pretty sure if he kept this up eventually someone would snap at him. But not knowing what points to avoid was more disconcerting to Alessio because he was used to everything being ok and then they’d suddenly lose it.
    He shook off the thought, instead staring after Nithel, half waiting for the explosion whenever he got a chance to talk to Alessio in private about his powers half wondering if there would be one. Nithel didn’t strike him as someone who’d get angry without any warning. Some people he knew were subtly vindictive all the while acting so kind while others were around. But Nithel wouldn’t be like that…?
    Alessio finally decided he couldn’t take the suspense anymore and it’d be best to get it over with either way. He almost made a move to touch Nithel’s shoulder but he didn’t. After a second Alessio thought it might be better to wait until Nithel brought it up, he might just want to ignore it which would’ve been the best Alessio could’ve expected from anybody from his world. Was Nithel still going to talk to him or maybe prejudice was deeply enough entrenched he would avoid conversation with Alessio now?
    “Why do you call yourself ‘son of Father’?” Alessio attempted very softly, hoping he’d reply. “Is it a title or…”
    He faded off, awkwardly waiting with the unnaturally upbeat idea that maybe things would go back to normal, whatever ‘normal’ was.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Virtus turned to run with the others, but he couldn’t help glancing back just once to see what their leader was doing.

There was a flash, then the archway crumbled into a pile of rubble. Virtus restrained a surprised yelp and sprinted faster, through an opening and into a dark, arched-ceilinged tunnel. No windows.

“That should tie him up for at least a half hour,” Isaac remarked, appearing beside Virtus. He looked satisfied.

The passage they were in was made of stone, like the rest of the place. No torches fizzled on the walls, not even so much as an arrow slit offered any sort of light. Instead, odd stones that glowed lined the walls, giving off eerie luminescence. There was a kingdom that made glowing rocks, Virtus remembered, but he couldn’t recall which one.

Water was trickling somewhere, and the sound of scraping metal limbs echoed through the  tunnel from time to time, a constant reminder of their danger. Virtus blew out a breath, raking his left hand through his hair. If this wasn’t a life-or-death situation, it would almost be fun. Or if Marina were here.

“It could be worse,” the lad offered, somehow sounding melodramatic and deadpan at the same time. “We could all be estranged from our homes, being chased by some metal monstrosity, trapped in an enchanted stone castle that is bent on our own demise.”

Virtus smiled distractedly. The boy had some sense of humor, after all. Yet his mind was on other things. What other traps might this place throw at them? How was he supposed to get back to the Keepers – to Marina? Were they all going to die? The book had said that they’d need food, water, and rest, none of which had come with Virtus when he’d fallen from the solid ceiling. The book! Why hadn’t he remembered to grab it? It would have most certainly come in handy.

Another thing. Virtus was still worried about what Isaac had said: that the castle rearranged itself. If that was the case, it might be safest to just wait in one spot, instead of being redirected wherever this crazy building wanted them to go. He glanced at their leader. It was his choice. Virtus was determined to trust the strange man’s experience.

The lad had turned to Nithel and was speaking with him in soft tones, so Virtus approached Isaac. “You said we should get to the ground level,” he said. “How exactly are we going to do that again?”

——————————

@rusted-knight

~AP

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

A flash of flames, and smoke. A boom. Nithel stumbled back, mind lost for words as he stared at the fire, and the cloud with wide eyes. Then so many thoughts raced through him none prevailed. He swallowed hard, and glanced around.

Isaac was looking over his responsibilities… “That should tie him up for at least a half hour.”

He sounded satisfied, if only temporarily. How long was an hour? Nithel cleared his throat and pushed to his feet. One of his elbows hurting whenever he moved it, But that would be fine.

Alessio stood nearby. He looked unharmed. Nithel sighed, relieved.

Then Nithel’s arms shivered a bit. This room was a bit colder than the last. There was no fire, no window. Rocks lined the walls, glowing like worms, in dull blues and greens. The light was a sad one.

An incessant trickle reached Nithel, and his ears perked up, Water… Though he wasn’t thirsty yet, he knew the rest and himself probably needed it.

His eyes ran along every wall, slowly, looking for the shimmer of light off liquid. Nothing.

Was it inside the stone? 

“It could be worse,”

Nithel looked over his shoulder to Alessio.

“We could all be estranged from our homes, being chased by some metal monstrosity, trapped in an enchanted stone castle that is bent on our own demise.”

Nithel’s brows almost came together. Isn’t that what’s happened? But, Alessio knew that. Why, Nithel sighed softly, and shook his head mentally, turning back to face a wall. Of all the things to figure out, that was the least.

He then went and pressed the side of his face to the nearest wall. He jumped back like he’d been burnt.  Nothing should be that cold. Ever. He shivered from head to foot. And it wasn’t water making it cold. He hadn’t heard rushing or trickling water through the ear that touched the stone.

Nithel slowly drifted back toward Alessio, eyes looking over the strange glowing stones again, then the ceiling.

“Why do you call yourself ‘son of Father’?” Alessio’s voice was so soft Nithel almost missed it. “Is it a title or…”

Nithel’s turned to look at his friend, running over the question. None had ever asked him that before either. His stomach did a strange motion, It was close. Very close to what Mihael had advised him never to tell. “It is the name of Who gave me being.

The first man who helped me was called Gabrel son of Tasc. His name, and then the name of his father. His daughter is called Elia daughter of Gabrel, and his son Corban son of Gabrel. The father’s name is retained, but the mother’s released. For the woman becomes part of her husband, and they are one. That is why I call myself, Nithel son of Father. It is required to have a second calling in The Ten, and required that it be the father.” And… this was assuming Alessio didn’t wish to hear the blessing bestowed on good parents, and the curse on those who were wrong. Nithel’s forehead wrinkles a second, and his eyes are hopeful but willing to try again. “Does it make sense? I will try again.”

_____

@this-is-not-an-alien
    (Sorry about not answering you yet… I read it!!! Life’s pretty crazy right now. (: )

Jominkreesa

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest