Fantasy Writers

Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 706 total)
  • Author
    Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@this-is-not-an-alien

Woooaaaaahhh that sounds epic!! I say let’s go for it! 😀

Of course, the characters can’t actually escape the castle. But that won’t keep us from making them try 😉

Ohhhh what happens if a character gets killed by another character? Wait, they just fade, don’t they. Like the guy who the dragon killed. Teagan?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Livi Ryddle.

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@this-is-not-an-alien

that if they’re told they have to get to the top of the castle to escape and every level ends up being a place from one of the characters’ worlds? And then we get world building with character building and we can fight all the different elements and animals from everybody’s world!

Cathy, that sounds amazing!!! What do you mean bad idea?

I have little to no idea how to do it, but it sounds good. (:

On this line,

“Respectfully, sir, you are a ignominious liar.”

I laughed aloud. Thank you for that Cathy!

Kimmi wrote:
      Oh Cathy!!! How little you know! It is a beautiful, sideways, yet true statement. <3

Ah ha! Tell me more!

More? Perhaps Alessio could find out, actually…maybe not. Nithel is pretty closed about his life. The only thing you’ll be able to get him to talk about are around the last six autumns. And he’s incredibly open about that…

But… Nithel is old. Quite old. Several thousand years old. He won’t answer if asked how old he is. Not directly at least, and then he’ll twist the question to where he’s not lying.

Jominkreesa

Why is surviving important? Would you not rather die for the truth?

Kimmi
      @kimlikesart

@anne_the_noob14

I’ve been laughing out loud at y’all’s characters’ thoughts about Vulferym XD Especially Nithel, figuring out what the names mean

I’m glad Nithel’s translation made you laugh!!! (:

How are you Livi?

Jominkreesa

Skylarynn
        @skylarynn

Is it too late to join this?

The character I have in mind is from my High Fantasy story.  I don’t want to spoil much of his story, so I’ll be vague for now.

The name he answers to is Brendin Warin, though he isn’t sure it still belongs to him.  Among the Kelts ‘Brendin’ means ‘dark prince’, an irony which is not lost on him.  In appearance he is tall and fit, strong, with light reddish brown hair between his chin and shoulders in length, reddish stubble, and piercing blue eyes.  His skin is marred by patches of burns across his arms, shoulders and chest.  On his right forearm there is a black mark, about the size of his palm, in the shape of a triangle sided by flames.  Brendin is suffering from deep turmoil and furor as a result of his mutilated soul and the loss of his memories, the memories of who he was before his soul was torn.  He tries to isolate himself to avoid hurting others when he lashes out.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Kimmi
          @kimlikesart

@skylarynn

(Your profile picture is beautiful, by the way.)

I don’t mind if you join!!!

Several characters have been, or are about to be, flipped for new ones. Good timing.

@rusted-knight
            @anne_the_noob14 @beth20

@joelle-stone
            @this-is-not-an-alien

(I feel like I’m forgetting somebody. Sorry!) What do you all think?

Jominkreesa

Skylarynn
            @skylarynn

How should Brendin enter the castle or the village?  (Also I would write that on the Castle Chronicles, right?)

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Kimmi
              @kimlikesart

@skylarynn

It is a castle, and there are so many ways! ( @this-is-not-an-alien has started one with a village though.)

You could read through the Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1 to get some ideas.

Basically, you just drop them somewhere in the castle, somewhere they won’t be alone too long. Or you could drop them in a room of people as well. (:

Then, let the games begin!

Jominkreesa

Livi Ryddle
                @anne_the_noob14

@kimlikesart I’m good! About to be really busy with classes, starting Friday, but I’m looking forward to it. I always feel better mentally and physically when I have a schedule to work off of. I like having breaks, but the break is getting too long for me lol.

@skylarynn
                Glad to have you join us! Like Kimmi said, just plop Brendin down in the castle, wherever you want. And don’t worry about being too consistent with descriptions of rooms and whatnot. The castle changes itself at will, adds more rooms, takes rooms away… So pretty much anything is fair game. Make up a new room to stick him in, or whatever you want!

(Just keep in mind that the characters can’t ever go outside the castle [though if there’s a garden inside the castle, like in an inner courtyard or something, that’s cool].)

Have fun! 😀

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Skylarynn
                @skylarynn

Brendin has arrived at the castle and is quite confused.  Be warned, he may be a bit dangerous if provoked, but he makes a powerful ally.

Joelle Stone
                  @joelle-stone

@skylarynn,

Wow, I love your picture! Have you read the Guardians of Ga’Hoole by Kathryn Lasky (if I remember right, anyway)?

And WELCOME!! Your intro was amazing; I’ll try to get Virtus (my new character) in this afternoon. 😉 Mind if he falls on top of Brendin or something? I think that could turn out amusing for us authors and probably terrifying for Virtus. 😛

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it can’t be done alone.
                    ~AP

Joelle Stone
                    @joelle-stone

@kimlikesart,

OY!! WE’RE LOSING TO WATER!! MUST WRITE LIKE CRAZY LET’S FILL UP THE CHRONICLE!

(If you aren’t Kim or on CWW, then this most likely makes absolutely no sense. :P)

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it can’t be done alone.
                      ~AP

Skylarynn
                      @skylarynn

@joelle-stone

I have not read those stories no, but I’ve heard of them and they sound interesting.  The picture is actually the owl form of a wereowl side character in my urban fantasy story (her name is Cyrene Alistair and she works as a barista in a coffee shop run by Nicolas Flamel).

As for Virtus falling on Bren, go for it.  Just be warned Bren may react violently.

Joelle Stone
                        @joelle-stone

@skylarynn,

Ooh, a werewolf/owl thingamabob? Cool idea!

Alrighty, writing a post now…

~AP

Kimmi
                          @kimlikesart

@joelle-stone Indeed!!!!

EVERYONE: If you’d like to join a free week-long writing challenge Mr. DeGraaf works at….

theyoungwriter.com/challenge

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Kimmi.

Jominkreesa

Skylarynn
                            @skylarynn

@joelle-stone

he landed on something that was hard with muscle (? Skylarynn ?)

Yeah Bren’s pretty solid.

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 706 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest