fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 908 total)
  • Author
    Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

OK NO BUT LIKE. I’M ACTUALLY SPEECHLESS IRL RN HALP. THAT’S SO NICE OF HIM and like obviously I know he’s not… real? But still like- gee, I’m actually tearing up right now XD Just goes to show… idk, what does it show? But seriously, thank you for that <3

Ha, sorry Grace XD I forgot you and he have a bit of a quarrel.

Dharin, fixing his hair: Huh? We do?

Me: Yes. Remember when you first met?

Dharin: How could I not?? *is now adjusting his tie*

Me: Dharin, where on earth did you get a suit?? They don’t even exist in your world?? And why are you wearing it??

Dharin: *spritqqzzlles more mousse in his hair* It’s to impress the beauty over there by that other author. The beauty who seems to be head-over-heels… glaring… at… me…?

Me: *rolls eyes* She’s taken.

Dharin: NOOOOO WHO KIDNAPPED HER???

Me: *facepalms* No. Dharin, sweetie… that means she’s got a boyfriend. Or something.

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 <3 <3 <3

Kiet: *sees your eyes getting teary* *squeak* Aunt Livi, are you okay??? *gives you a hug*

Kiet: *just kind of blinks at Dharin and Grace for a moment, deciding whether to say anything*

Grace: *rolls eyes* What she means is, I’m with this one. *grabs Kiet’s arm and pulls him closer*

Kiet: *tenses*

Grace: Oh my gosh, sorry Kiet. *quickly lets go* You alright?

Kiet: *swallows hard and stares at nothing for a moment* Um. . . yeah. . .

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

claire
    @claire-h

@anne_the_noob14  @ariella-newheart @christlover@kristianne-hassman

Ok, I just realized that I had completely forgot about Marlowe! Is 5 characters too many at one time? Should we group them off somehow? I’m not quite sure how this works…. 😛

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@claire-h

You’re good! I think the limit for the moment is 10 characters 🙂

@naiya-dyani

*sniffs, hugging back* I’m fine. 🙂 And I love my nephew Kiet, too 😉 <3

I smell past angst… XD

Dharin: *is silent for a moment*

Well…

*claps a hand on both Grace and Kiet’s shoulders*

Invite me to the wedding.

🙂

*walks off, loosening tie and ruffling his own hair*

*muffled voice from bathroom* Stilton, how do I take this thing off??

Stilton: … brb

Stilton, from bathroom: Dharin, how did you manage this…?

*a few minutes later*

Stilton, emerging from bathroom: Livi, don’t let him get a suit ever again. He somehow got his tie caught on his cuff links, wrapped around his pants leg, and he still had it around his neck.

Dharin, now dressed in his usual outfit, still with traces of mousse in his hair: Aah, much better!

Me: … ‘kay then.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 Oh yes. . . past angst indeed. . . poor traumatized boi

Kiet: *freezes at the mention of “the wedding” and blushes crazily*

Grace: finally

Kiet: . . .

Kiet: I actually feel kinda bad for him

Grace: don’t bother

Kiet: Um. . . okay. . .

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Naiya Dyani.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@ariella-newheart Hey, what kind of clothes does Marlowe wear?

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani *grins* Stilton can, once again, relate 😉

XD

*is actually chuckling irl*

Yeah, Kiet, he doesn’t really need any pity.

Dharin: *is sorta sulking*

Me: *hands him tankard of ale*

Dharin: 😀 😀

Me: *rolls eyes, turns back to Kiet* See? He’s fine. XD

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani XD XD XD I didn’t see the edit til just now XD XD

Aunt Livi wants to be invited as well 😉

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

Grace: *staring at Dharin, shaking her head* My word. . . it’s like if Kiet was disappointed and I gave him a cat.

Kiet: *blinks and also stares*

Tai: Hey, I like ale, too! *whips out can* So, it’s ginger ale, but still works, right?

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

Oh, I’m sure you’ll have a front row seat! 😀

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

XD Exactly like that.

*laughs* Same here, actually, Tai. *pulls out my own can of ginger ale*

Dharin: *throws an interested look at my can* Is it any good?

Me: … *winks at Tai* Here, try some. *hands Dharin the can*

Dharin: *empties can into his tankard, nodding satisfactorily at the foaming*

*takes huge swig*

*spits it out, coughing*

WHAT IS THAT STUFF??? IT’S TICKLING MY THROAT. IT’S GOT HAGWEED IN IT.

*hacks and gags*

Me: *dying of laughter*

Me: It’s a drink from my world. It’s a soda. That means it’s fizzy. Why it’s called ginger ale, I have no idea. But it’s not like ale ale. There’s no hagweed.

Dharin: *rinsing mouth out with his own ale* I don’t believe you.

Me: *still laughing*

Yay!! 😀 😀

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@ariella-newheart @christlover @claire-h @kristianne-hassman

It’s short, but Ariella’s gonna have to take over with what Marlowe says next, so… *shrugs*

Here we are:

He sheathed his sword as he opened the door, smiling as he thought about Dragon. She was a good horse, and served him well in his long trips. He knew she would be relaxing in her stall, probably being fed one too many apples by the stable boy.

Dharin continued down the corridor, noting how the torches on the walls cast odd shadows and light onto the floor and ceiling. He shivered, despite himself, wishing he had brought his cloak. Then he rolled his eyes at himself. He had no way of knowing that he’d end up here, and he wasn’t in the practice of wearing his cloak during dueling practice.

He settled for counting his strides as he went, counting by fives. There was ten, then fifteen, twenty… Before long, he’d passed sixty, still seeing no end to this corridor. Then he heard a noise from behind him. He turned and saw a woman, wearing strange clothing, walking down the corridor towards him. The first thing he noticed was how tall she was, and the way she carried herself. For someone who usually towered over the women he met, Dharin was pleasantly surprised that he was only about six inches taller. She had her hair pulled up on top of her head, and had an air of importance about her. Perhaps she was the head housekeeper or cook. They were generally, in Dharin’s experience, the leader types, with the sharp and slightly judging look that this woman’s expression hinted at.

As she got closer, Dharin decided that being a little extra polite might get him a good meal or an explanation of how the castle was laid out.. He donned a polite smile, and said,

“Good afternoon, mistress. I seem to have lost my way in this place. Would you be kind enough to point me in the direction of the privy?”

She stopped, seeming to scrutinize him. The look reminded him of one his mother used to wear, and Dharin felt the sudden urge to straighten his tunic and make sure his hair wasn’t awry.

“I’m afraid I can’t.”

Dharin knew he had a frustrated expression flit across his face. That was one of the hardest emotions to smooth over. He composed himself and kept the smile intact. “But surely since you work here, you know the layout of the castle?”

Her face remained blank, but Dharin sensed her carefully thinking something over. The silence was just getting uncomfortable when she took in a breath, saying,

[letting Ariella take over!]

(Btw, I don’t think I ever said exactly how tall Dharin is. He’s about 6’5″)

And hopefully I wrote Marlowe alright… XD

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Livi Ryddle.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Livi Ryddle.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@urwen-starial @jennythefaun

Tagging y’all cause you both were here on the first page, and I don’t want you to think we forgot about ya 😉

claire
    @claire-h

@ariella-newheart @christlover @anne_the_noob14 @kristianne-hassman

Ok guys,here goes Emory’s introduction… 🙂

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Emory recited under her breath a few lines of the poem she was memorizing. “The tapestry woven of sorrow swayed in the icy wind. The hearth was dark and the room was cold…” Wait. Or was it “The hearth was cold and the room was dark”? She frowned in concentration, then gave up. Retracing her steps down the corridor, she entered her room and scooped up the book of poems. As she flipped through it, she sunk down into a chair by the window. It was an overcast day and a hawk was swooping through the crisp autumn air. The landscape fell away into gently rolling hills, dotted with houses. Emory found the line of the poem and smiled. She’d been right the first time. A shadow suddenly fell across the page and a tapping sound on the window pane made her look up. An evergreen was being tossed by the wind and its branches were hitting the glass. Emory blinked. What was happening? Her bedroom was on the third floor of the palace and there were no trees nearby! Quickly, she stood and turned around. Her bedroom had disappeared and in its place was a snug little chamber that only had room for a round little table and a few chairs. The painted wooden door was shut. Emory closed her book with a muffled thump. Peering out the window, all she could see was a forest of evergreens with some mossy boulders. What had happened? Confusion washed over her. Emory took a few tentative steps towards the table in the center of the room. On it was a map. Strange lights hovered in the air above it. Emory squinted at the parchment, tracing with her finger the various continents. The only one she recognized was Faran. Above it hung a star. Stretching out her hand, she touched the hovering lights and they blinked out. Deciding there wasn’t much else to find in there, Emory opened the green door.

A hallway lined with more doors presented itself. The woodwork was elaborately carved and the ceiling was vaulted. Whatever this was, it was magnificent. Echoes came from further down the corridor. They sounded like voices. Trying to decide if she should be relieved or frightened, Emory tiptoed down the hall, peering through some of the doorways as she went. One opened to a garden, heavy with the scent of flowers. Another led into what looked like a kitchen. Emory sighed. She’d always longed to learn the art of cooking, but her mother wouldn’t have it. “Cooking is below your station, my dear,” she would always say. Emory pushed the remembrance from her mind and continued down the hall. The next room she peered into looked like a very sophisticated lavatory. Raising her eyebrows, she turned the corner and almost collided with two people. Both were tall, and, judging from their clothes, weren’t from anywhere she’d ever been. Emory blushed under their stares and took a step backward. “I beg your pardon.”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ok, I hope that all makes sense. 😛

How does the character interaction work? Should I write other character’s responses, or do their authors want to do that?

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@claire-h Oooo I like it!!

I personally don’t mind id you’d like to write Dharin’s response! Just a couple things to keep in mind is he’s flirty, but he can, as you can see from my newest addition, buckle down and be reasonable 😛 I’ll see if I can kinda give a more fleshed-out version of his personality tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 908 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest