fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 929 total)
  • Author
    Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@tal Haha I get ya lol!

@anne_the_noob14

Okay see ya!

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@kimlikesart

Sorry for being a little slow.

You’re doing great on Libby. She’s a huge football fan, with a lot of spunk. Yes, she likes to talk a lot.😄 I think she warms up easily. She has three older brothers (ages 16, 14, and her twin, Ryker, 10) and she hangs out with their friends a lot (high-school football team guys, mostly). She also has two younger siblings, a sister, and a little brother. Her sister likes princesses (Libby does not like princesses😆). She’s not afraid to say her mind, and she can be quite sassy sometimes (something her mother is working on).

Don’t worry too much about getting her right. You can hardly go wrong with Libby as long as she’s fun-loving and talkative.😄

Your parts are really great.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

Libby waited for him to speak again. He seemed tense for a moment, then his blue eyes met her’s again.

He grinned, and let out a laugh. “Okay, looks like we’re both new to this. What do you suggest, Lady Liberty?”

Libby didn’t answer for a moment. What did she suggest? “I don’t know.” She glanced around the room again. “Maybe we should just explore, and try to find someone.” If it had been a store, they should have found the front desk…but this was just an old castle. There was no front desk. Duh, Libby. She was glad she wasn’t thinking out-loud.

“That was what I was thinking. Only…” He rubbed the back of his across his rough chin. “…it could be dangerous, you know.” His mouth was curved upward, still optimistic. She was just a kid…just a normal American kid. She wasn’t used to this sort of stuff. Not that he had been lost in a mysterious castle before either.

Her hands tightened on her Nerf rifle, finger on the trigger.

He laughed, “At least one of us thought to bring a weapon.” His eyebrows lowered. “I should probably find myself something too.”

She was obviously relying on him to make the first step.

“Alright.” He shrugged. “We’ve already been in the hall, and we didn’t see any monsters down there. Let’s go that way, and try to find me something I can defend myself with.” He smirked. “A curtain rod or something, you know.”

She cracked a little grin. “Okay.” She patted the side of her gun. “I’ll shoot anything we run into.”

“Great.” He looked down at his bare feet, and then at hers. “And we’ll be able to sneak on the carpet, because neither of us thought to bring footwear.”

She gave him a sassy smile, and flipped her pony-tail over her shoulder. “I didn’t think to bring anything. I don’t even know why I’m here.” She paused. “Do you?”

“No.” He winked. “No matter, Liberty. Let’s go find me a weapon.” He moved toward the door.

She trotted to keep up. “You can call me Libby if you want now.”

“Sure, Libby.” He had won her trust.

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

@rusted-knight @anne_the_noob14 @beth20 Forgive me if I got any details wrong. I’m still trying to familiarize myself with all the characters. 🙂

The book in Marlowe’s hands was readable. The kings and queens of olden days kept their peace in warring ways… Some sort of history? No, just a poem. A poem in her native dialect. Either she had somehow returned to the Homeworld, or she had discovered a high-ranking citizen’s private vacation castle. I would almost rather believe that aliens abducted me. 

Or that I am in a coma. 

Or that this is all just a really, really weird dream. 

Shut up. No more distractions. She snapped the book closed, then placed it down gently. When she glanced up, she found the other individuals eyeing her warily. Most of them were armed with primitive swords. One had a gun and several other weapons stashed away.

Words are powerful, she considered, her expression unchanging. Especially if it comes to fighting for my life. 

What am I talking about? They could kill me in at least five different ways. 

So could I, and much more creatively. Marlowe chose not to revisit that train of thought.

Three of them approached a mirror. Whatever they beheld in it caused them to react in various ways. Dharin’s reaction was particularly interesting. He appeared mentally disturbed and stormed out of the library. With a wary glance around, the fellow with the gun slipped after him.

If I hear a gunshot or a death cry, that’s one less to worry about. 

Shut up. They’re not stupid.

What about Dharin? What’s wrong with him? 

Obviously, he has a backstory. A very interesting one. 

Marlowe silenced the deliberations as the boy from earlier, Jaylin, glanced over at her. The mirror had caused him to shed tears, though he wouldn’t want to draw attention to that. He smiled at her—genuine but slightly uncertain. “I didn’t see you come in.”

A serene smile flitted across her face, smoothing out the stern lines across her brow. Put him at ease. “I heard voices and followed them here. I was distracted by all these books.” She gazed around, feigning admiration. “It’s magnificent.”

Jaylin nodded slowly. “What happened to that other girl?”

The corners of her mouth twisted into a puzzled frown. “That’s what I’m wondering. She ran off, and when I tried to follow her, all I found was you, Dharin, and that other fellow. Any idea who he is?”

The boy shrugged. “He doesn’t seem very talkative.”

Too bad. Talkative people are always such founts of information. Marlowe brushed a speck of dust off the sleeve of her white Ensign uniform. “You’re Jaylin, right? I didn’t have a chance to properly introduce myself earlier.” Lying about one’s name was usually more trouble than it was worth. Lying about rank…not so much. She maintained her easy smile as she addressed Jaylin. “I’m Commodore Marlowe Reynolds. You can call me Marlowe if you like.”

“Nice to meet you, Marlowe.”

“Likewise.” She glanced at the mirror, which was distorted at this distance. “What’s the deal with that mirror?”

He followed her gaze, his expression thoughtful. “It’s not an ordinary mirror, that’s for sure. I think it shows everyone a different reflection.”

“What kind of reflection?”

His forehead scrunched up. “It’s hard to explain. You would have to look for yourself.”

A sense of warning tingled in the back of Marlowe’s mind. The mirror was something she didn’t have the ability to control. Her hand closed around the spine of a book on a nearby table. One instinct prompted her to shatter the looking glass. Another stayed her hand and instead moved her to flip absently through the book’s pages.

Information in any form was power. As long as no one else saw what she would see in the mirror, she still had control. I must have control. This directive was the one thing all the players in the stage of her mind agreed upon.

Writer, illustrator, Parimi Alcan

Check out my new blog! https://arbitraryfairy.wordpress.com/

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@arindown

Cool! Thanks. I was actually thinking about Teagen going to find a fire poker for a weapon… So, that works and is good. (: I like Libby.

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Teagen poked his head out the door, and glanced both ways down the hall. All was clear, aside from a few torches casting eerie shadows on the stones. “Let’s go,” He waved for Libby to follow, and held the door open for her as she followed.

They took five steps in silence before Libby jumped in front of the man, and began walking backwards. Teagen halved his gait so she wouldn’t go to fast and trip. No telling how long it would take to get help if she cracked her head open.

“Sooo,” her eyes widened as she surveyed him, “Tell me about yourself?”

He took a hesitant breath, looking over his shoulder a second while nibbling on his cheek a second, “Uh, well.” He shrugged, when his eyes met hers the little trust he’d gained was already being tested.

“I’m a sailor. The last ship I was on was called the ‘Darling’. She was fine, freshly painted white with red trim. She could really throttle, and maneuver really well.”

She cocked her head.

“Have you ever been on a ship?” Teagen’s brows lifted on the girl.

She sucked on her lip, “No, but I’ve been to the beach.”

“What’s your favorite thing about it?” Teagen’s eyes sparkled, and his heartbeat quickened. The sea was his favorite subject, and any who enjoyed and appreciated it couldn’t be all bad in his book.

“(@arindown?)”

(I can go on, sorry. (:)

Jominkreesa

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@ariella-newheart

I’m liking Marlowe more and more! 😀

_____

Dharin stood there for a moment still, gathering his thoughts. The man was still looking at him, face blank. Dharin sighed mentally. The man would be a dangerous enemy and a strong ally. Best to try to make some sort of bond before the man decided Dharin was a threat. Dharin sheathed his sword and took a step closer to the man, extending his hand.

“I don’t believe we’ve been properly introduced. Dharin Rider, captain of the fifth Trio, of the East Quintant.”

The man glanced down at Dharin’s hand, then back up at his face before slowly reaching out and shaking the proffered hand.

_____

And I’m gonna stop there cause I don’t know if Isaac would give Dharin his name or not. So I’ll let @rusted-knight take over 🙂

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@ariella-newheart

Awesome! I couldn’t have done any better with Jaylin myself! lol

I will write something soon!

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Isaac looked at the man’s hand. He had to answer for formalities sake but how would he. Then an idea went through his head. In the event that they did not return immediately to their own dimensions but all returned to one, he would need a name in case they returned to Earth.

“Franz Fenrir. Unaffiliated.”

He felt bad for fooling them but it would further his plans. Fenrir was not a name anyone used. The SS and Gestapo knew it as a codename for Isaac. He was enough of a problem for them that anyone using such a name as Franz Fenrir would become a person of interest at least. As long as they did not teleported near Rastenburg, the SS and Gestapo would be chasing a phantom name in another direction, away from his mission.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@arindown

What do you think about doing a short dialogue between Libby and Teagen? So they are friends instead of just allies upon meeting everyone else.

We could each type out the questions our characters could ask while peeking into rooms, (Nothing to deep or personal…) and then we could answer them this way, before actually putting it all in the story?

Do you like that idea or not?

Jominkreesa

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@kimlikesart

Sure. I’m a little slower than you on the castle stuff…sorry about that.😄

Sure, Libby loves making friends. I’ll answer the beach question, and maybe ask a few more. I’m not totally sure how you want this to work out.

Libby: “The beach?” *grinning* “Ultimate Frisbee with my brothers…especially if we’re allowed to tackle each-other. Dad always gets us ice-cream too. I’m not very good at swimming, but Ryker is really bad. He doesn’t like getting his face wet.” *disgusted*

“Do you like ice-cream? It’s actually not very good for you, but it tastes good. So I eat it, even if I’m trying to be healthy. All professional athletes eat healthy.”

“Do you have any sisters and brothers? I have four brothers, and one sister. Most of them like sports. My sister Tia says figure skating is a sport. It’s not. Figure skating isn’t even hard, so it can’t be a sport. Football is the best. I’m going to play running-back for the Chicago Bears when I grow up.”

“Do you like going barefoot? I do. I can run faster in bare-feet than I can in shoes, except if my brothers are wearing cleats, then I have to wear shoes because my brother Asher always steps on my feet. He never watches where he’s going.”

“How old are you?”

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@arindown

You’re fine.

I like Libby a lot. Your questions are great! (I like the answers to, so, here goes…)

“What’s your favorite thing about it?” Teagen’s eyes sparkled, and his heartbeat quickened. The sea was his favorite subject, and anyone who enjoyed and appreciated it couldn’t be all bad.

“The beach?” She grinned eyes looking up for the slightest second. Then her young voice spoke fast and sure. “Ultimate Frisbee with my brothers…especially if we’re allowed to tackle each-other.” Teagen’s teeth shown as he chuckled. “Dad always gets us ice-cream too. I’m not very good at swimming, but Ryker is really bad. He doesn’t like getting his face wet.” Her nose curled, and her eyes narrowed like she couldn’t believe anyone didn’t like getting water in their eyes.

“Do you like ice-cream?” Libby went on, almost without a breath, “It’s actually not very good for you, but it tastes good. So I eat it, even if I’m trying to be healthy. All professional athletes eat healthy.

Do you have any sisters and brothers? I have four brothers, and one sister. Most of them like sports. My sister Tia says figure skating is a sport. It’s not. Figure skating isn’t even hard, so it can’t be a sport. Football is the best. I’m going to play running-back for the Chicago Bears when I grow up.”

The corners of Teagen’s eyes wrinkled, as his mind tried to track. His chest felt like it was racing, he loved kids, especially ones like her, “Yeah, I like icecream. Anything with nuts, pistachios are my favorites though.” Libby’s nose crinkled, and he shrugged. “I got nine siblings last count. What are yours like? Tia sounds annoying. But, then again, I’ve met people who call Chess a sport (not that I get it).”

She lowered her chin, and surveyed Teagen’s face. What? Clearly shown on her face, and Teagen couldn’t help laughing as he paused at a red door. The color of blood.

“Do you wanna go in?” He whispered, lips pressing into a sly dare as his fingers tickled the handle.

Libby stopped, shoulders lowering slightly, before she lifted her chin, and got a high look. “Sure.”

Teagen bounced his brows, then, before opening the door, he went and pulled a torch from it’s notch in the wall. “Just in case.” He glanced at Libby who had her hands on her hips, “You’re gun raised madam.”

She muffled a smile, and lifted one hand, the Nerf gun clutched loosely in her fingers.

“Let’s go.”

(I have to go, will continue unless @arindown has an idea)

“Do you like going barefoot? I do. I can run faster in bare-feet than I can in shoes, except if my brothers are wearing cleats, then I have to wear shoes because my brother Asher always steps on my feet. He never watches where he’s going.”

“How old are you?”

Jominkreesa

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@kimlikesart

I’m going to post another part, but probably not until later. I have it partly written out, but I haven’t had a chance to post.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@arindown

Great!

Jominkreesa

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@ariella-newheart

So sorry it’s not very long. I was having a hard time with your character lol. I didn’t really know how she would respond. Haha

So hopefully I did her alright!

His forehead scrunched up. “It’s hard to explain. You would have to look for yourself.”

Jaylin could tell Marlowe wasn’t very pleased about the mirror. She reached out her hand and started flipping through the pages of a book.

He stood there uncertainty for a moment. “Did you see where Dharin and the other man went?” he finally asked.

She shook her head. “I saw them leave, but I don’t know where they went.”

His stomach growled and he blushed as he saw her try to hide a smile. “I wonder if this place has any food.” he said.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 929 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest