fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.5

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 522 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Yeah. I’m about tired of waiting for those slow-punks in there.” They were still fighting? Talk about petty. Nathair guessed he couldn’t have been out that long then. “So what do’ya think the response time for law-enforcement – whatever they call it here – is anyway?”

“Far too long, undoubtedly.” Nathair said with no hesitation as someone careened out the window.

“So, how far do we have to walk before we reach the wall?” Um, what wall? Does he mean the walls of the next building or what…? “Ya got any idea Snake-Punk?”

That’s it, he’s done. He was nice and remembered Burn’s name but he’s Blind Guy from now on!

“See, I’d scout ahead. But the thing is, this is Ax-Punk’s home. So it’s stupid to take point when someone else knows the territory.”

“Indeed,” Nathair said over the banging inside the bar “where is he anyway?”

“Anyway, if they don’t come out soon, I’m leaving without them.” They’re…still inside. Oh devils why would they be so stupid? Blind Guy’s still rambling. “I can’t stand this place! It’s too big. I think it’s even bigger than the Hives. How is that possible?! Hives were made by magic – now Oscar has opinions about that but frankly that makes me think I’m right! – but this is sooooo big it’s wrong.”

Blind Guy was amusing – at least he wasn’t stuck with someone dumb and boring. Instead he got someone dumb and interesting. Nathair assumed everyone was dumb on some level.

“We should move before law enforcement gets here. They’ll be mad at me – or pitying. Depends on if they know me. let’s move. Come on!”

Sure. Why not?

“That’s a little Ma’n’Pa shop for sure. Let’s investigate before the cops come. I don’t want to get arrested.” He said “Especially for something that isn’t my fault.”

That sounded pointed.

Rolling his eyes, Nathair got to his feet and glanced over at the shop Blind Guy had been talking about. Looked decent and pretty much they’re best option for now.

“It’s not my fault they were so insecure about their own accomplishments,” He smirked “Besides we can now afford food and stay for several weeks – you’re welcome!”

Blind Guy seemed to know his way around well enough Nathair didn’t bother to offer any assistance getting to the shop (not that he would’ve appreciated it anyway), They’d need to make a pretense of buying something at the shop – to be efficient.

Blind Guy was turning out to be a good asset, Nathair should probably be nice to him that would be useful later on.

“If you stay out of trouble I might buy you something you like.” Nathair said as if addressing a toddler.

Yeah, he was evil.

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

After Leana and Crorie finally laid down to go to sleep, Leana found herself staring at the ceiling. She wished it was sky, above, so she could see the stars. Leana could name almost all of the glowing embers. At least the closest ones. Papa said he didn’t know the fainter ones, as well. And more or less guessed their names, from the reaches of his memory. He never said where he learned all their names.

Leana used to imagine all the possibilities, for how he learned… and reasons Papa wouldn’t want to say how he knew all he did.

She remembered hiking up to the top of the hill, not far from their home. All of them. Time and again. How they’d sleep in the grass, way up there, and Papa would point out the different lights. And tells stories about all of them. About why the Star Breather created all of them. Their purposes. Their fears. Their joys. He made one almost believe they were alive, with how passionately he spoke. Bethan definitely believed him, as she’d crawl in his lap, and he’d tickle her. Soon they’d all be playing tag, and laughing, in the rare dark night.

What star are you, Papa? 

Leana sat up, stunned, and looked about the room. Still dark. I couldn’t have been sleeping too long, then? Crorie was either still asleep or still faking that she was.

Leana dragged her feet over the edge of the perfect bed and gently stood. The cloud didn’t creak. She tiptoed, though she didn’t need to on this carpet, to the door. She glanced back, just a moment, and tried to pull open the door. It… Wouldn’t. Budge.

Leana bit her lips together and fear grabbing her chest. Is it like a prison cell? A lock, needed? Didn’t that nice guy mention a lock, when he dropped me off? She gritted her teeth a second. But it was simpler, than she thought it would be. She flipped the bolt and gently pulled open the door.

I’m gonna find Alessio. I can’t just wait here and do nothing. She remembered where their room was.

~~~~

@ragnarok
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

'Forth now! And fear no darkness!'

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio was in the middle of panicking over Arsene when there was a faint tap on the door. He might’ve tensed if he wasn’t as tense as humanly possible already. There was a sound of a slight jiggling of the lock, and Alessio bit his lip, glancing around.

From the sound – not aggressive. Perhaps dangerous, likely female (there’s just like, the kind of sound, don’t ask me to explain but you know).

Oh devils, if Sherlock opened the door…

Maybe they’d go away…?

He’d crack open the door but well there’s this tiny detail that’s been mentioned before about his being handcuffed to his would-be assassin! Automatically, his hand slid to his knife (he was verrrrry good at throwing those) and he looked around for someone to open the door, hopefully Con and not Sherlock?

@ethan-leonard
    @kimlikesart @ragnarok

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Leana bounced on her heels, outside the door. She glanced both ways, down the hall, Am I waking them up? She knocked softly, again, and decided she wouldn’t knock a third time.

@ragnarok
    @this-is-not-an-alien @ethan-leonard

Jominkreesa

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

“Saga Lore Longwei, I’m forty…five years old…” Arsene answered, not fully in control of his mind yet.

“Saga…is that your real name…?” Alessio asked with a very hopeful expression.

…Whoops… Well, no going back now. “Arsene Lupin is my name, young man. Saga died in a ditch somewhere outside of Mithril. Isn’t that right, dearest brother of mine?”

Sherlock glared at Arsene, before finally shrugging. “I’m going to bed… Too tired for this…”

Right on que, there was a loud sound, like a rooster. One glance out the window and at the clock told Arsene that it was morning. To be specific, 5:30.

Gritting his teeth, Sherlock hurled a pillow at the clock, the source of the bird noises. The excessive use of strength knocked the cuckoo clock off the wall and sent it crashing onto the floor. A very strained, high pitched, cuckooing continued, as Sherlocked covered his ears desperately.

“IGNORE THAT CONTRAPTION!!! LET ME SLEEP!!!”

It was almost a little amusing. If of course, the uncivil, shrieking contraption wasn’t disturbing everyone in the room. Taking the other pillow, Sherlock covered his head with it. One would think he was having a nightmare.

There was a knock on the door.

Sherlock lost it. “NO!! Go away and kill someone else!!!”

He was getting up to answer the door. And Arsene knew he very much did not need to be the one who did that.

You can only come to the morning through shadows: Tolkien

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Leana’s eyes nearly jumped from her head. WHAT? “I… Don’t mean to kill anybody?” She leaned close to the door, brows furrowed. At the moment, anyway… 
    (She’s never killed anybody. Now, that baby bird she ‘saved’ years ago? Yes..? But that was a horrible accident.)

“You guys alright?”

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Arsene Lupin is my name, young man.” Young man? Alessio raised an eyebrow like Arsene swapped brains with a stereotypical grey-headed grandfather. “Saga died in a ditch somewhere outside Mithril. Isn’t that right, dearest brighter of mine?”

Alessio glanced between them uneasily. That was very specific for a random quip – what happened to Arsene/Saga? What did Evil Twin do?

The brothers held eye contact for several minutes before the Endlessly Angry One shrugged finally.

“I’m going to bed…Too tired for this…” He grumbled.

Suddenly there was a loud COO-COO-DOO!!!!! from across the room. With a stifled cry, Alessio reflexively hurled his knife through the clock as it crashed to the ground from Endlessly Angry’s blow.

It continued to eerily, painfully crip at a skin-crawling pitch making Alessio tense into a near paralysis.

“IGNORE THAT CONTRAPTION!!! LET ME SLEEP!!!”

Another knock on the door.

“NO!! Go away and kill someone else!!!” Endless Angry shouted, storming to the door. Oh noooo, he was the last person who needed to answer the door…

“I…Don’t mean to kill anybody?” Came a muffled reply – Leana. Oh nono no – please anyone other than Sherlock open the door… “You guys alright?”

Depends on your definition of “alright” but just fine just perfectly, unequivocally fiiiine.

Alessio winced so bad as Endless Angry swung open the door.

@ragnarok
    @kimlikesart @ethan-leonard

(Ahh you “saved” baby birds too!! 😭😭😭)

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Leana gaped and took a step back, before she thought better of it. Don’t let these geezers think you’re afraid of them. She pulled her shoulders back, and waved at the frumpy man with a fake smile, “Hi?” Papa never used fake smiles. 

—-

@ragnarok

(Aw. <3)

Jominkreesa

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Sherlock jerked the door open, as he glared at the mindless witch. “WHAT IN THE WORLD IS YOUR PROBLEM?!”

Before he could break that dummy’s nose, Sherlock felt Arsene tackle him from behind. Unfortunately for the traitor, Sherlock was able to fall backwards onto him. As he winced in pain, Arsene squeaked like a mouse. “Everything’s fine, ma’am. Go back to sleep.”

“It’s morning.” The peasant added.

“No, it’s an illusion, go back to bed.” Arsene said in a strained voice, “Now get off of me, Sherlock.”

“Make me, mouse.” Sherlock hissed.

With the giveaway smirk of chaos, Arsene responded with far too much satisfaction in his voice. “I thought you’d never ask.”

Oh heck. Before Sherlock could stab the rat, Arsene hurled him into the wall. The thief’s hands now had shiny black scales, with the powerful dragon claws having torn through his already in bad shape gloves.

Sherlock was about to lecture his older brother, when he sniffed the air. Absentmindedly, Sherlock let his attitude change as he asked. “…Is something burning?”

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“WHAT IN THE WORLD IS YOUR PROBLEM?!” Bellowed Endlessly Angry, swinging open the door. Alessio was going to yell at him but he noticed the slight change in his position – he recognized that motion and fired and arrow (with his teeth, as he only had one hand to spare!) right in front of his face to scare him before he could hit her. A little too late as Arsen – Saga tackled his twin, knocking him to the floor.

It suddenly occurred to Alessio that he fired an arrow to scare the man away from her but…that really didn’t look too good since Leana and him were so close and nobody else would know he purposefully missed…

“S-sorry!” He stammered at Leana. I wasn’t trying to kill anybody I swear!

“Everything’s fine, ma’am. Go back to sleep.” Squeaked Saga, being crushed by his brother.

“It’s morning.”

“No, it’s an illusion, go back to bed.” Saga attempted

“Hey get off him!” Alessio snapped overlapping whatever else Saga was saying. With a loud thud, Saga slammed Endlessly Angry into the wall. He was going to attack again?

“…Is something burning?”

Devils.

He was on fire, wasn’t he?

“Leave him alone!” Alessio yelled at Saga’s brother, flames thrashing between the pair – completely disintegrating the coocoo clock which gave one last pathetic shrieking COO.

@kimlikesart
     @ragnarok @ethan-leonard

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

She took another step back at the absolute chaos in the room. At Alessio’s apology. At the arrow. At the two guys trying to wrestle the other to the ground.

Run? She bit her lips and whispered, “It’s morning.” One of the suns had just started to flicker through the drapes, at the end of the hall. Finally.

The man growled as the other tackled him. “No, it’s an illusion, go back to bed.”

Illusion? Her brows furrowed, You think I’m delusional? Really? 

“Hey, get off him!” Alessio added to the jumble. With a loud thud, one guy slammed the other into the wall. Scales appeared on the first shouting one. Claws, like a bird of prey. Oh, zounds. 

Her heart almost stopped.

I- She pivoted and bolted down the hall. Away from the window and the room. “You know what?” She hissed, trying to make it to the stairs. I’ve got to be dreaming. First appearing in this crazy place. Meeting a friend of dad’s? Floor soft as moss. SCALES AND TALONS APPEARING ON A GUY?  Oh, please let my brother’s death be a dream, too. 

She wanted to wake up, but she also knew she had to get away.

———–

@ragnarok

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio glanced up at the doorway, brain still fumbling for some sort of explanation he could give, but she wasn’t there.

“Uh, wai-?!” Is she going to be ok…? Alessio yanked his handcuffs, uselessly, and bit his lip. What was he supposed to do now? He glowered at Endlessly Angry.

“Do you have any shred of decency in you or are you nothing but spite!?” He snapped “How can you even live with being so petty and insufferable!?!”

@ragnarok
    @kimlikesart @ethan-leonard

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Hades did not know how he managed to sleep through ALL of this. By the time he woke up, the cuckoo clock had exploded, Sherlock was answering the door (he probably should have stopped him), Arsene had tackled Sherlock, and Alessio was on fire again. Hades even noticed the scales and claws on Arsene’s hand, making him wonder if the thief was a hybrid like him.

Alessio was angry and currently shouting at Sherlock.

“Do you have any shred of decency in you or are you nothing but spite!?” He snapped “How can you even live with being so petty and insufferable!?!”

Sherlock stirred, glaring at anything in sight. “DID HUMANS CARE ABOUT DECENCY WHEN THEY TOOK MY FAMILY?!”

Furious like he always was, Sherlock bashed the wall, with scales and claws forming on his arm as well. Only unlike Arsene, his scales were white, glittering black in the dim light. “SO WHAT IF I AM NOTHING BUT SPITE?! I WOULD HAVE BEEN A PERFECTLY FINE PERSON IF HUMANS LIKE YOU DIDN’T EXIST!”

Panting with familiar rage, Sherlock became quieter when he spoke. “And you know fully well what I am talking about. Don’t think I didn’t notice how you would try to hide and appear small or how you would often grip your knife if something remotely threatening appears. These aren’t habits a normal person has. You learned these habits to survive.”

A malevolent smile formed on Sherlock’s face, as he asked. “So, who was it that did it? An abusive family member? A teacher? Or people in general?”

Hades had enough. Drawing the Muramasa, Hades let the black tech activate. Flame reminiscent stardust consumed his left arm, as Hades’ voice distorted. “S#HerL&ock! Yo<U’v>e $<aid> <enough>!”

We both know you want to hurt him.

Ignoring the voice inside his head, Hades spoke in a tensed, focused voice. “Do you think you are the only person whose had your life ruined by society? I was in a war. I learned long ago that all people contained evil in some degree. But what matters isn’t whether or not people are good or evil. What matters is do they try to be good people.”

Hades was trying his best to be calm, but the aggressive tone in his voice made his opinions about Sherlock obvious. “But so far, I’ve never seen you do so much as one good deed. And if you harm any of the people in our company ever again, I will not hesitate to hospitalize you.”

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

NEW CHARACTER: Sonja Jo Rosewood (Search)

Personality: cunning schemer, takes the lead, headstrong, loyal, confident, loves learning. Religious. Bookworm but can kick butt.

Appearance: long, thick flaxen hair frequently worn in two braids. Pointed ears (not an elf. Stop.) bronze skin. Slight scoliosis due to leg length discrepancy. Squared face. Higher-pitched voice. Curvy. Tall.

Talent (super-power): Psychometry. She can see the past of any non-living object if she holds it in both hands. This extends to pieces of an object if they are whole and unbroken (so a handle of a machine). She can only use psychometry with a targeted intention.

World: Diplopia. A nation / country in the center of the earth. An Orb brightens or dims for a sort-of night/day cycle. However, it’s only present in the central chamber – the most notable settlement there is the Five Hives, a floating city that nomads scornfully call the “OverRealm.” In the branch caverns there is Blue Moss which is bioluminescent. The caverns are highly unstable and ever-changing. There are about 12 stable zones outside the Center and all these are settled and almost micro-kingdoms. Nomadic tribes live in the Shifting Zones. There is a high level of crime outside the Center and Stable Zones. The Shifting Zones are inhabited by Cold Shadows, mysterious monsters that prey on the people living in Diplopia.

It has been three months since I last saw Burn. Five hours since our last conversation (over the phone – which he threw at a Cold. In the middle of talking with me. Why Burn? Why?). An indeterminate amount of time since I last ate.

At the moment, I’m browsing a small store – a little Ma’n’Pa shop with a low variety of food and some little nick-knacks. They have some canned wares and fresh-foods mostly.

I’ve got a few vegetables (okay, carrots and salad) and fruits (all of them) in my basket – enough for me.

Since the shopkeeper was busy at the counter with another customer, I started browsing the knick-knack table.

I pull out another accessory from the tray – a gold hairclip.

Hn. Definitely not this one.

The shopkeeper walks past me. “See anything you like?”

“Oh yes, lots! But I’m not buying for me.”

“Ah. Well take you time. If you want, I have some things in the back.”

“Thanks!”

He leaves, bustling around the counter with a damp cloth. A nice man, I suppose. I won’t have the time to actually get to know him. That’s the tragedy of the world. You can’t actually really know everyone.

I pick up another bracelet from the tray and roll it around my fingers. It has a nice texture – a bunch of gears fused to a simple metal band. It is also silver which matches his skin-tones better than the other bracelets here. Burn’s a mass of freckles – he doesn’t show a clear inch of skin. Although Grimme says he’s got a spot on his back about the size of an adult’s hand.

Hn.

“Eh, what the abyss. I’ll get this one.” But … “No. He’s too likely to do something stupid with it.”

Notice: he threw his phone at a Cold. While talking to me.

I massage the growing headache in my temples. When I see that idiot again, am I gonna hug him or punch him?

I quietly shift my wriggling pack to the other shoulder. Hope nobody notices the lizard.

It’s … the fifth? … one I’ve rescued this week. They’re gonna be on the endangered list soon if this keeps up.

And that’s the scary thing – keystone species keep dying out. Ever since the disaster of the last Flood.

Don’t think about it.

Oh! Oh that’s perfect!

“This one!” I drop it on the counter and wait for the price.

“Are you… sure…?” he says dubiously.

“Absolutely.” I say smirking.

I pay for my purchases and stow them in my basket – stop wiggling around lizard.

The bell tinkles over the door.

“If you stay out of trouble I might buy you something you like.” Someone says indulgently.

The tone of voice makes my skin crawl. That poor kid he’s talking to needs prayers…

What … the abyss …

“BURN?!”

“SEARCH?!”

It’s my idiot he’s talking to!

“What are you doing here?” Burn waves his arm – thankfully not the one with his stupid ‘staff’ – and almost knocks a glass bottle off the table. He pauses before disaster – narrowly

“What do you mean ‘what are you doing here?’ You’re supposed to be half-way across This Place!” I say. My headache is growing. “Are you okay? I did NOT like how that last conversation ended.”

“Waddya mean?” Burn tips his head. The red-dyed bangs fall over his blindfold – he needs a haircut but honestly, the look flatters him.

“Do you not remember throwing your phone?”

Yeah, but he needs to cut pack some of that scruff on his jaw – I’ll do it if I have to (if I can wrangle him into sitting still, more like).

“Oooh yeah. I did do that.” He shrugs, chewing his claw again. “Well, it worked.” Something’s got him high-strung again.

“Stop that.” I march forward and pull his hand out of his mouth. “Now tell me what happened.”

“Everything’s fine.” He leans over to his companion. “Hey, did we fall through another hole in reality?” he whispers.

What?

I switch my grip to his jacket-sleeve – darn it! The pin is missing. That’s gonna make using my talent a lot harder.

“Um. Do you notice anything off about this place?” he says, waving his hand – this time more carefully – over the room.

“It’s just a Ma’n’Pa shop.” I say. Okay. What is he carrying that a) fits in my hand and b) I can lift without him noticing?

“Yeah. I know.” he grumbles. “That’s why I wanted to come here.”

I sigh. Welp. I have something to replace the pin.

“I mean outside the shop.” He says.

“What do you mean outside the shop?” Might as well humor him – might find out what’s going on.

“Um. Come look?”

I roll my eyes and catch his arm, guiding him to the doorway. “Alright. What do you want me to see?”

“Um. Look up?”

What the abyss what the abyss what the abyss what what what

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Arsene was recovering for the bruises on his body, when Tall, Dark and Broody final spoke up.

After hearing his threat, Arsene started clapping. “Excellent. Wonderful deal. Now, if you homicidal maniacs are done, who’s hungry?”

To tell the truth, he just wanted to lighten the mood. “Please go downstairs to the dining room, while I explain to Mrs. Leana and Lady Crorie what will be happening. Oh, and I should also find that man from before and alert him on what’s going on. Also, if there is so much as a chipped piece of glass when I get there, I’m putting a bounty on your head. And I am not talking about Alessio.”

Opening the door, Arsene smirked at his brother. “Good day.”

And he closed the door.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 522 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest