fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.5

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 522 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“You suppose, Old Snake?” Nathair gritted his teeth. Of course, of course!! He should’ve changed his name… “Would that imply you don’t remember your name?”

Smarty Mouth was almost as bad as Alessio. He should be used to it by now.

“Well, since you can’t clearly remember your name,” Arsene ran over before Nathair could retort anything. “you wouldn’t happen to remember a certain paranoid, possibly traumatized boy named Alessio?”

Nathair looked sharply at Arsene, his bored mien completely dropped into something so deathly alert and reassessing he could’ve been a different person. Whose side was Arsene on, how much did he know? Nathair didn’t even know for sure if Alessio was alive – this could be a trap. He needed to find that kid before it was too late (and he needed to not give away anything to them).

“How do you know him?” Nathair asked softly, the barest hint of dangerous edge in his voice.

If anything happened to the boy…

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

“How do you know him?” Nathair asked with a clearly strained cool-headedness. His mood had changed rather quickly at the mention of Alessio.

Ah yes, we’re getting answers now. “Well, that is a long story. I hope you love long, boring tales.”

Exploding flash powder, Arsene drew up his best dramatic voice. “Once upon a time, there was a cunning, good looking thief named Arsene. He had been arrested by his twin brother, Sherlock, only to escape jail. Trust me, that was rather easy. After falling off a cliff, Arsene recovered, before going through with a carefully planned bank robbery. Guess who happened to be in the bank at the time?”

Not giving Nathair an opportunity to mess up his storytelling, Arsene interrupted once again with his charming voice. “Alessio! Yes, Alessio was there. Just when I was about to leave, the banker went insane and tried to kill me and Alessio, since he attempted to save me. So, I did the logical thing and rescued Alessio. But he didn’t appreciate my efforts, in other words, he tried to kill me, so we tumbled off another cliff into river.”

Nathair didn’t look happy with Arsene’s theater-worthy play. He sent him a verrrryyyyy strained look.

“Luckily, good luck is a part of my charm, because we both were found by a ferry boat. They nursed us back to health, giving me an opportunity to see what kind of treasures were there. I found a safe with unregistered goods, which I planned to open it. At some point, some crazy assassin broke the forth wall and walked into this story. How do I know this? Because he tried to kill Alessio, working for some insane man called the Necromancer. Alessio managed to escape and find me, as I was opening the safe. And what do you know, I get teleported to some kind of ‘Trial of Fear’ or something like that. And guess who showed up. My own brother, Sherlock. He was so happy to see me that he punched me in the face. Do you think that brute has any manners at all? Completely anti-social. One would think all our troubles were over, but we teleported to ANOTHER area after I opened the safe. Yes, the safe teleported with us. Well, after that, we ended up in a city, where I scammed a hotel for us. But Alessio had difficulty sleeping. To which, I mean, when he was having a bad nightmare, I woke him up. But he punched me in the face. I fell flat on the floor and cracked my head.”

Sighing, Arsene continued. “And, since this is obviously the afterlife, Alessio is probably panicking over my corpse. So, what do you know about Alessio? He mentioned you, as he punched me in the face.”

You can only come to the morning through shadows: Tolkien

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Well, that is a long story. I hope you love long, boring tales.” Arsene exclaimed, entering full dramatics, and hurling another sparkling powder. Reader dust perhaps. But Nathair had lost all his time for games now, he didn’t even bother to give a retort.

“Once upon a time, there was a cunning, good looking thief named Arsene. He had been arrested by his twin brother, Sherlock, only to escape jail. Trust me, that was rather easy.”

Nathair didn’t care in the slightest about Arsene’s backstory – but he filed the information anyway to use later. The story couldn’t possibly be more meandering than council debates; now it was just a matter of figuring out if Arsene was dumb or playing dumb with his ramblings.

Nathair fiddled with a die in his pocket, idly, processing, his eyes never leaving Arsene’s face.

“After falling off a cliff, Arsene recovered, before going through a carefully planned bank robbery.”  He didn’t have to have Alessio’s lie detecting skills to know Arsene’s narrative was extraordinarily exaggerated. “Guess who happened to be in the bank at the time? Alessio! Yes, Alessio was there.”

Arsene…kept talking, until he had spilled just about everything he could possibly theatricize. And in no time Nathair got the entire story – devils, Arsene really was clueless. Just mentioning Alessio’s name could’ve gotten him killed if he’d talked up the wrong side.

Well, it seemed Alessio was more or less safe…or at least alive. He’d expected to waste a lot more time whittling information out of Arsene, but this guy didn’t know anything. That made him no threat to Alessio, but he might attract a lot of unwanted attention.

Nathair would have to work with it if he wanted to find Alessio in one piece.

“And, since this is obviously the afterlife, Alessio is probably panicking over my corpse.” Arsene finished, just about out of breath now. “So, what do you know about Alessio? He mentioned you, as he punched me in the face.”

Nathair was silence for several moments, calculating how much information he could risk on this random stranger to how much he was likely to get for his efforts.

“I know quite a lot about Alessio,” he said slowly “I was his private tutor and advisor to the royal family.”

This was a gamble and a pretty big one but he needed more leads.

“I imagine he never told you he was a prince,” Nathair said, with a bit of a dry smile at the recollection. “he didn’t love titles when he was younger, I doubt he does now.”

He let out a breath.

“I need to find him before anyone else does – he…disappeared when he was fourteen and no one’s heard a breath about him since – except once, almost a year later, in the Hesgmarde castle the night of the queen’s murder.”

Nathair could still remember that night with blinding clarity. Crystalline blue moonlight pouring into the room like some incantation on the stark, slim silhouette of the queen – not that he was crying for her, she just got the devil’s due. The only person who might disagree would be that stupidly loyal boy…

“I’m sure we both know he couldn’t possibly have murdered her, but whatever he saw that night…it made him run away from everything, and he’s the only witness.” Nathair said “So I need to find him, as soon as possible.”

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

“I guess this is what you call my reality.” Ax-Punk drinks his stupid drink and I mournfully try to remember the name of the fire-drink. Dragon something-or-other.

Clunk-clunk-clunk goes Metal-Punk. Perfect.

I seriously consider distancing myself from him but the chances of me blending in are slim enough. Might as well stay in the group…

… and not think about whatever the Abyss-bound void is out there. What chamber is that big? It’s the size of the Five Hives but … it’s wrong, okay! Where’s the water coming from? What cruddy irrigation system waters houses but not food? Huh?! Huh?!

… don’t think about it.

Or… you could confront your fear, like you did the first week of staying in the Hives. You could walk until you hit the wall and then go up until you hit the roof…

Well, I’m not sure there is enough hustle and bustle to indicate people have settled up there enough for safe climbing. But still. All I have to do is find the wall.

“We should get you some plain clothes. You stand out a lot.”

Ax-Punk talking to Metal-Punk. Ignore them. Make plan.

Okay, two, well three, goals:

One) Find wall to this massive chamber. It’s just another Hive.

Two) Revenge.

Three) Escape.

Both of those – now that I’m thinking about it – likely will be facilitated by reaching the boundaries off this abyss-scape.

Except that if you get out of the boundaries, you face the Endless Sea – certain death. So actually bad idea. Except that this is a different realm so there might not be an Endless Sea…

Stop thinking about it.

Fire. Right. I want to drink…

… Bar fight. Nevermind.

“Drinks on the house!” Snake-Punk yells. I hear coins hit the bar.

He whispers something I can’t quite make out – something about leaving? And revenge plan.

“Yeah let’s do that!” I say. As unusual as it is, I actually don’t want to get caught up in this fight.

I’m pretty sure the punks agreed with me? But it’s loud! Okay punks, it is very loud and my hearing isn’t good differentiating in these scenarios.

I … eh, I’ll just take all the smoke in this room. Nobody’ll miss it and it’s free!

I navigate through the contorting bodies and thrown fists, mugs, glasses, chairs – oh. That was actually a table. This escalated. Wonderful! – and toward the door.

Hm. Is there law-enforcement that’s called to these? They are back home!

(And scolding adopted-parents. Lots of that!)

“Uh. Punks? Yo punks? Where are you?” I stand beside the door – away from the window because contrary to popular opinion, I am not an idiot. “Hey punks! We’re burning Bright-Shifts!”

They’ll … come out eventually.

Uh. What’s that?

I poke it with Umberuin.

Hm. A person.

Naw it isn’t.

Unless?

Neh.

But perhaps?

Hm. Snake-Punk did start a bar-fight – I could hear him talking in the background the entire Abyss-bound time.

Hm.

Okay, my good deed for the day is to pull some poor punk out of the way. Even if he isn’t Snake-Punk.

He smells like Snake-Punk.

Why is he on the ground?

And where are the other two?

DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING?

Okay, I did barely anything, fair enough. But still, the point remains. They should be out by now. I am not going back in.

I curl the smoke around me, the wind is tugging it…

… that’s a lot of wind. And unnatural amount of wind. Hm.

I do not like this place.

Where are those punks?

I’m bored. I want to go back home.

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

It was just a dream it was just a dream…it was just a dream…

Four breaths in, six breaths out – he was going to fixate on that until he succeeded. Things were slowly coming back into focus, as his mind started catching up with everything that happened. He was in a ‘hotel’ and –

“Arsene!” Terror shot through Alessio as he stared at the limp robber collapsed on the floor. He didn’t mean to harm him he’ll never forgive himself. Arsene hadn’t hurt him…

‘…a weapon…’

“About time.” Arsene’s Evil Twin said, sending a kick into Arsene’s ribs. Something suddenly snapped a little inside, something like the realization he could never go back to being treated like that – not him, not anyone. Before he even knew what he was doing, Alessio sent a punch across his jaw, hard enough to knock anybody back.

“What’s wrong with you!?! What the devil is your problem!?!” Alessio shouted

“Arsene is my problem.” The guy snorted

“You’re your own problem, he hasn’t done anything to you!” Alessio blurted, he could barely control his voice now. He gritted his teeth and tried to calm down. He wasn’t used to feeling angry he wasn’t used to feeling. With an effort he forced his voice to almost a normal volume. “You can’t just treat people like tools or animals you can take your problems out on!”

“I’m just doing what society expects me to do.” Evil Twin retorted grimly

Alessio bit his lip until it bled, balling his knuckles till they turned white. This kind of blinding, burning rage all through him – he’d numbed out his emotions for so long so hard he barely knew how to respond to any of this. He held the man’s glower more than a full minute his brain trying to force him to come to terms with the fact that nothing he could say was going to make this man any less of a jerk.

Biting a curse, Alessio wordlessly proceeded to ignore Evil Twin and turned his attention back on Arsene. He made a move to feel his pulse but the stupid handcuffs were in the way!! Sucking in a breath, Alessio dragged Arsene’s limp body closer by whatever limb was in reach.

Several cards splattered lamely across the floor with that motion like pathetic dead moths. Behind him he could feel Evil Twin facepalming. Alessio shook Arsene on the shoulder violently, willing him to spring up with some dumb, dramatic comment or anything.

“Come on Arsene, stop doing this to me!” He whispered under his breath, checking his pulse on his neck and wrists. Faint, but steady. The longer someone was unconscious the more

likely they were to receive brain damage or some sort of permanent condition. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry you idiot please wake up”

He felt so nauseous with the effort to choke back his emotions enough to focus – he had to focus! He hadn’t meant to do this he hadn’t meant to hurt anyone he just wanted to be safe.

. He wanted to protect Arsene, he couldn’t possibly believe they were brothers his brother was the only person who’d ever tried to protect him.

“You can’t blame society for all your problems when you’re the part of society that causes all the problems.” Alessio said in a low voice at Evil Twin

“I’m doing what should’ve been done years ago and tearing it down. Arsene’s doing nothing different.”

“You want to tear it down to build what!? What can you possibly destroy that’ll make people better!?” Alessio snapped “There’s a significant different between you and Arsene; he at least tries to lift others up with him, all you ever do is tear things down – are you even satisfied with your work!?”

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Are you even satisfied with your work?! Not the first time he was asked that. “I won’t be satisfied unless society itself is uprooted and burned to the ground.”

“Why?!”

Sherlock frowned, barking an aggressive speech. “How can you not know, you fool?! It’s because structure becomes evil over time! It can only last one generation, until it becomes corrupt! Because of that, structure cannot be allowed to live on. The only way to live is without belonging to any kind of order or authority. The only reason I belong to society is because I don’t simply wish to destroy it. I want to use it like the cheap tool it is!!! Force it to SUFFER!!! BURN IT FROM THE INSIDE!!!”

By now, Sherlock knew he was angry. He wanted people to see that. He wanted to show the world that structure the creator of monsters.

“You say Arsene is different from me, but that is not the case!” Sherlock spat with venom in his voice. “We are the same. The only difference is our tactics. If we switched positions, everything would still play out the same way.”

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“The only reason I belong to society is because I don’t simply wish to destroy it. I want to use it like the cheap tool it is!!! Force it to SUFFER!!! BURN IT FROM THE INSIDE!!!” Sherlock continued furiously “You say Arsene is different from me, but that is not the case! We are the same. The only difference is our tactics. If we switched positions, everything would still play out the same way.”

He sounded just like them.

In Casumbra, there were secret guilds – lynch mobs a lot of desperate people joined, some out of spit some because they thought they really meant to bring a change. It was hard, to just exist if you were born…different from the rest. Alessio spent his whole life treated like an animal because society couldn’t accept someone born with powers.

You know, he actually used to naively think they actually meant to bring some sort of justice to the ability-born.

He wouldn’t hurt someone just because he can,” Alessio said in almost a harsh whisper. “You don’t care who you hurt to get what you want, and that’s the only difference that matters to me.”

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

“He wouldn’t hurt someone just because he can,” Alessio hissed like a soaked cat. “You don’t care who you hurt to get what you want, and that’s the only difference that matters to me.”

Naive fool. “Do you think Arsene’s any different from me? I’ll let you know he’s a criminal for the same reasons I am a detective. He wants to bring society to its knees, like I do. The only difference is he’s doing it from the outside, by robbing their banks and living outside of order. In other words, a rebellion.”

I need to find him quickly. “Ha, you and me both, Old Snake. And since you’re Alessio’s tutor, I’d imagine he’d be so happy to see you again.”

Putting on hand over Joker, Arsene smirked, “It’s unfortunate really. Truely unfortunate that I don’t trust you. He disappeared for one year and came back later? Since you’re an advisor for a royal family, you must have some idea where he went off to. I mean, surely you can’t get a high position like that without being involved in some kind of corruption. A kind of corruption that would involve removing Alessio from the center stage, am I right?”

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“I really don’t care about your goals as much as your methods,” Alessio said. “people’s lives matter more than your petty philosophies.”

“Ha, you and me both, Old Snake. And since you’re Alessio’s tutor, I’d imagine he’d be so happy to see you again.” Sarcasm dripped from his voice, and he added with a somewhat triumphant voice. “It’s unfortunate really. Truly unfortunate that I don’t trust you. Since you’re an advisor for a royal family, you must have some idea where he went off to.

“I mean, surely you can’t get a high position like that without being involved in some kind of corruption. A kind of corruption that would involve removing Alessio from the center stage, am I right?”

Oh, but that was the tragic part. He’d been hired to do the exact opposite.

Normally, Nathair was so calm, but Arsene had finally touched a nerve. He’d worked so hard to just survive, but it was never enough. And no one believed any good could come from a born liar.

Nathair smiled chillingly, murderously, taking a step closer to Arsene.

“You think you have it all figured out, don’t you?” The nails in his fingers itched like claws. He fiddled with the dice in his pockets, soothingly, still hanging by a thread to his own self-control. He laughed softly. “You…want to know exactly what sort of ‘corruption’ I was in? My job was to keep Alessio alive and well”

It was madness – a slow debilitating madness. His role, his training, all to be a weapon not a person. But that was not where he would let it end, someone had to set those sons of ghouls ablaze. His body was beginning to shift, just a little, face a little unnatural like a doll.

“Ask me why, why I became a corrupt royal advisor to an insane war-devil and a pampered little paramour queen with more lovers than friends,” Nathair said in almost a cracked whisper. “go on, ask me.”

You think I had a choice who I became…?

Before Arsene had a chance to answer, Nathair grabbed his shoulder and shoved him into a wall. His power hissed to life almost involuntarily pressing into Arsene’s mind sensations of paralyzing, clutching terror from his own childhood memories.

“I wasn’t there for my own gain,” – Arsene’s skin became shifting but his ability froze as Nathair glared at him, blocking even the memory of how to tap into his powers. “Do you know what people do to us? People with powers?”

Nathair leaned so close Arsene’s breath was on his neck as he whispered into his ear.

“Have you ever been experimented on, and told to be grateful to be left alive?” He said “Do you know what they’ll do to Alessio once they find him again – and they will find him, if I don’t reach him first.

“I was not hired to get a bastard-child prince off a throne that would never be his if the kingdom followed its natural order.” He hissed “If he lives to take the throne, he will be the first ability-born to have any royal ties since the Great Wars – he would be a symbol of a new age that is coming whether we like it or not.”

If this was my plan the whole world would be burning.

Nathair pressed his power even further – blocking the memory of his face and his name from Arsene’s recollection. He’d remember everything Nathair said – he made sure of that – but he’d forget the man himself. He wanted Arsene to understand this much at least.

“Every cult, every guild, every insurrection in Casumbra would kill to get their hands on an ability-born in his position or get him out of the way –“ He said softly “if you want to know where the boy disappeared to, ask him. Think what you like of my motives, but I will keep him safe and get him on that throne.

With your help –“ He dug his nails into Arsene’s arm, forcing a sharp prickling under his skin crawling with pain from experiences he absorbed that he could project at will. “or without it.”

Then the world went black.

And both of them woke up because I don’t want to write a murder. XDD

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Nathair smiled. A smile that a little too big. Okay, definitely too big. If you heard of the Smile film, you’d know what he was talking about. Arsene was having second thoughts. He hoped that someone would find that will that he drew up somewhere.

“You think you have it all figured out, don’t you?” The distinct sound of dice was like music, as Old Snake stepped closer. He laughed softly, like he was descending into madness. Ah yes, good times. “You…want to know exactly what sort of ‘corruption’ I was in? My job was to keep Alessio alive and well”

His body was beginning to shift, just a little, face a little unnatural like a doll. Now Arsene knew why he felt a little unsettled.

“Ask me why, why I became a corrupt royal advisor to an insane war-devil and a pampered little paramour queen with more lovers than friends,” Nathair said, teetering on the edge of insanity. “go on, ask me.”

“Sounds fun, why did you…?!”

Naithar immediately grabbed his shoulder, gripping him with inhuman strength. There was no way that was the strength of a man.

“I wasn’t there for my own gain,” – Arsene started shifting his skin to the black dragon scales, but it didn’t do anything to protect him. “Do you know what people do to us? People with powers?”

Nathair leaned so close Arsene’s breath was on his neck as he whispered into his ear.

“Have you ever been experimented on, and told to be grateful to be left alive?” He said “Do you know what they’ll do to Alessio once they find him again – and they will find him, if I don’t reach him first.

“I was not hired to get a bastard-child prince off a throne that would never be his if the kingdom followed its natural order.” He hissed “If he lives to take the throne, he will be the first ability-born to have any royal ties since the Great Wars – he would be a symbol of a new age that is coming whether we like it or not.”

Arsene couldn’t focus on anything. He was seeing something, but what exactly he didn’t know. He felt the pain like needles going into his skin, seeing what appeared to be the memories of someone else. Old Snake’s perhaps.

“Every cult, every guild, every insurrection in Casumbra would kill to get their hands on an ability-born in his position or get him out of the way –“ He said softly “if you want to know where the boy disappeared to, ask him. Think what you like of my motives, but I will keep him safe and get him on that throne.

With your help –“ He dug his nails into Arsene’s arm, forcing a sharp prickling under his skin crawling with pain from experiences he absorbed that he could project at will. “or without it.”

Arsene didn’t know what happened, but he felt the mostly forgotten feel of his power activating. A burst of nether hit Naithar, stopping whatever that was. But it didn’t even work now. His power immediately deactivated. Arsene felt confused, like a part of his mind was missing. He ran, trying to get away, only to run into a wall. Naithar casually walked up to him, grabbing him by the throat.

Before whatever Snake Eye’s power was could activate again, he spoke in a sickly-sweet voice. “Sorry, but you will forget about me after this, my silly clown. Do you have any final words for me?”

Nauseous and tired, Arsene did the only thing he knew how to do. “Bubba shot the jute box last night, said it played a sad song that made him cry…”

Something dropped out of his coat, erupting in a white explosion.

Arsene snapped up, clutching his head. Everything seemed clearer now, but still garbled at the same time. He remembered everything that was said, but that was all. He couldn’t remember anything about old snake’s face except for that unnerving smile. Feeling in his pocket, Arsene realized something was missing. His flash powder. Wait a second, that white explosion. Was that…?

Did he just drop ALL of his flash powder because of old snake? And why was it old snake? Oh well, it was catchy and fitting. It would work until he figured out who that was.

But for now, Arsene just burst out laughing. “Good one, old snake! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, I can’t wait to figure out who you are!”

(DO NOT LOOK INTO THAT FILM ARSENE MENSIONED!!! IT WILL SCARE YOU INTO HIDDING UNDER YOUR PILLOW FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!)

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

*Walks in expecting to go on about how I haven’t been able to be on, and-*

Wow ok… that is a lot to catch up on. Can somebody please clear this up and explain a bit what just happened?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Suddenly, Arsene bolted upright clutching his head. Alessio leapt back with a stifled yelp. And then. Then Arsene burst out laughing like a maniac.

“Good one, old snake! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, I can’t wait to figure out who you are!”

The longer the concussion the more likely he’d have brain damage…

“Arsene – Arsene…” Alessio stammered, shaking him a couple times as if that would get him to focus. “Ok, tell me where you are? Do you remember how old you are? What’s your name?”

“Saga Lore, I’m eight…thousand years old…” He slurred a little, blinking and shaking his head. That was crazy…but he looked to be coming around now. Alessio stared at him, absolutely terrified.

“Saga…is that your real name…?” He asked, almost hopefully because that would be he was at least of that much sound mind right? Also, he had his real name now – which was completely unintentional but still kind’ve satisfying.

Arsene looked at him blankly for several seconds until his gaze started to come back into focus.

(DO NOT LOOK INTO THAT FILM ARSENE MENSIONED!!! IT WILL SCARE YOU INTO HIDDING UNDER YOUR PILLOW FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!)

YOU SAY AFTER MAKING ME WATCH THE PREVIEW BEFORE BECAUSE YOU WERE UPSET YOU HAD TO WATCH IT!!!!!!

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

*Walks in expecting to go on about how I haven’t been able to be on, and-* Wow ok… that is a lot to catch up on. Can somebody please clear this up and explain a bit what just happened?

Hehe… Well, uh lemmie see you left off at the barr…Nathair started a bar fight and got knocked out, Alessio had a nightmare and reflexively kicked Arsene who fell on his back and got knocked out so that we could have them together for a couple scenes to get some backstory but Arsene successfully antagonized Nathair who almost murdered him and that’s where they woke up and so now Nathair and Arsene are back in their respective places.

So Nathair’ll wake up, Burn dragged him out of the barfight and everybody from that group is leaving the bar and Caleb just offered to help your guy get out of his suit of armor and into some civilian cloths to stop standing out so.

And in Arsene’s group, Alessio’s panicking over accidentally knocking Arsene out but now he’s regaining consciousness after Sherlock and Alessio had a philosophical debate.

Ok…that’s a lot…hehe…did it make any sense…?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nathair woke up in yet another environment. Ugh. He climbed on his elbows and glanced around.

Oh.

Apparently he was back at the bar. That was nauseating.

And the first thing he saw was Blin – Burn’s face, awkwardly fingering the scars under the bandages covering his eyes. Huh. Well that was interesting. Nathair rubbed his head numbly.

“Ah…well, how long was I out?”

His mind sifted through all the information he’d gotten now- but there wasn’t much he could do about it yet. He’d just have to bide his time.

“Anyway, we should probably be going now…”

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

I waited a bit for probably-Snake-Punk to wake up. I spent that time very productively and not at all chewing on my claws! (Don’t tell Search. She’ll kill me.

Well, she won’t. But Drake might.)

I miss them. Darn. Didn’t think I had it in me.

“Ah… well, how long was I out?”

Hm. Where have I heard that line before?

(Drake. Search. Whitely. Even Vi! That was super upsetting. Little mini-punks should not get knocked out!)

Uh. Actually, that’s a good question. How much time has passed?”

“Anyway, we should probably be going now…”

“Yeah. I’m about tired of waiting for those slow-punks in there.”

The bar-fight doesn’t sound like it’s about to end.

“So what do’ya think the response time for law-enforcement – whatever they call it here – is anyway?”

Someone is thrown out the window. I’m … surprised it took this long.

I’m also surprised that any of these establishments even have windows? Isn’t that a budget drain?

“So, how far do we have to walk before we reach the wall? Ya got any idea Snake-Punk?” He has a name. Abyss might remember it but I don’t.

Search is right. I really should try to remember people’s names. But see, the problem is that implies I care about them!

“See, I’d scout ahead.” More crashing and banging. “But the thing is, this is Ax-Punk’s home. So it’s stupid to take point when someone else knows the territory.”

Screaming now. Well, there was screaming before, but it’s particularly loud, furious, and piercing now.

“Anyway, if they don’t come out soon, I’m leaving without them. I can’t stand this place! It’s too big. I think its even bigger than the Hives. How is that possible?! Hives were made by magic – now Oscar has opinions about that but frankly that makes me think I’m right! – but this is soooo big it’s wrong.”

Stop rambling.

“We should move before law enforcement gets here. They’ll be mad at me – or pitying. Depends on if they know me. Let’s move. Come on!”

There’s a nice little building a short walk off that I mean to investigate – with or without Snake-Punk.

But what if they leave without me?

I can take care of myself.

Except for the tiny, minuscule fact that I don’t know anything about this place?

“That’s a little Ma’n’Pa shop for sure. Let’s investigate before the cops come. I don’t want to get arrested.” Again. “Especially for something that isn’t my fault.” Sure is yours Snake-Punk.

Wow, I literally can’t sound more whiny and needy. Yikes.

Just shut up and walk. Just shut up and walk.

And don’t get hit by any improbable abominations.

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 522 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest