fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 2,509 total)
  • Author
    Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

I have not done a fight scene in so long, so yayyy!! XD

The creatures pretty much came out of nowhere.

Lorcan had been in a quiet, contemplative state while Liorah and Ferran spoke to the newcomers. All these different people. From different realms to his own. How long had he been here anyway? A few hours? A day?

If this was anything like Tír na nÓg – he could have been in this hell for years. His jaw tightened with worry. His tribe – he had sworn never to abandon them. To protect them always. And now this-

He clenched his fists. He had to get out of here. Immediately.

He fleetingly wondered how the High Queen was faring without him. A snort escaped him as he thought of her. That witch – fooling her into believing he served her – and only her – took little effort. Especially considering their familial history.

Then the wolves emerged, and he was forced to briefly put his thoughts aside. He had a battle to fight. He was going to get out of here alive, that was for sure.

The wolf was of a different kind. Huge, muscles, crazed eyes hungry for blood. They were almost an exact copy of the Laignach Faelad.

He charged and leapt onto Liorah before any of them could process what was happening. But the assassin fella – Klein – broke its neck with one swift move. At least no one was dead but – Lorcan certainly would not have mourned that stupidly arrogant girl.

“Now now, that was too fast.” The castle rumbled.

Everything around Lorcan shifted and twisted, the floor sections rising and falling. And he was suddenly standing in what looked like a typical city street.

“Try again,” the castle said. Lorcan blew out a short breath. Right. This was his kind of expertise. Exactly what he was used to. Tall structures for running and leaping, long shadows stretching out in every direction. His bones relaxed ever so slightly.

Howls filled the air and more wolves appeared. They charged towards them.

Finally. A smirk played on his lips beneath his mask. Monsters to fight.

Everyone pulled out their weapons, ready to defend themselves.

Lorcan wasn’t just trained to defend himself. He was trained to be the best fighter there was. He was trained to have the ability to kill just about anything.

He strode towards the pack, ease and determination in his muscles. One snarling wolf with fur of brown and beige leapt at him, maw open wide, claws at the ready to slice him into ribbons. With one swift move, he batted him aside with his arm. It slammed into a wall, just as Lorcan caught another wolf and flung it far over his shoulder.

Spotting another wolf leaping towards a small group of his companions, Lorcan disappeared into shadow and reappeared in between them and the creature, his fist closing over the creatures throat. He looked directly into the eyes of the creature’s yellowish eyes as it hung there, suspended simply by Lorcan’s sheer raw strength. It slashed at his thick armour, snarling and snapping at his face.

Lorcan didn’t flinch. Only glared at this miserable thing who was unlucky enough to be born a mutant like this. And used both of his hands to snap the monster’s neck. Even now, the sound was something he had never gotten used to.

He turned around to see Ferran and Liorah staring at him in shock. He raised an eyebrow. “Thank me later.”

He turned just as another wolf made for him. He ran towards it, his fist driving into it and slamming the hunk of fur and muscle into the floor. Then two more appeared. Then another. And two more. They flew towards him as if they were bees attracted to a flower.

Now was the time for desperate measures. One monster at a time, he could hold off with just his super strength. But five or six of them at once-?

Lorcan smiled as they circled him. “Well hello there.”

They charged. Lorcan flicked the switches in his arms, and his two blades came shooting out, the sturdy handles landing in his hands. “I didn’t realise I had so many fans. And such ugly ones too.”

The wolves bounded towards him. “Aren’t I lucky?”, Lorcan said and leapt. His blades, forged from a metal none could destroy, braced for the kill.

It was over far too quickly. He took them all down swiftly, his blades slicing through them as he teleported in a circle, his blades moving in rainbow arcs. He landed braced on one knee, his blades pointed away from him, and the wolf carcasses lay in a heap around him.

@rose-colored-fancy
    @noah-cochran @this-is-not-an-alien @mischievous-thwapling @calidris @rusted-knight @sparrowhawke

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”

~ St. Augustine

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Hugon is from Medieval France. (I think, @noah-cochran ? Please tell me I remembered right XD)

Indeed you did remember right, I’m honored. 😉 Btw, how do you pronounce his name? The intended way was Hugh-gun. I’m just afraid people will pronounce it Who-gon.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Now that, Cathy my friend, is a grand idea.

Lol, thanks, but I have to stand corrected; my brother, @rustedknight, told me C4 is more effective as an explosive because it’s more reliable and you can stick it on anywhere. And that’s a correction I can live with 😜 (That is, until I explode 😄)

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@this-is-not-an-alien

The plot thickens…or grows more explosive, whatever. 😄

Mr. RPG guns blazing is your brother huh, your family is quite explosive. 😉 @rusted-knight Hey mate. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Btw, how do you pronounce his name? The intended way was Hugh-gun. I’m just afraid people will pronounce it Who-gon.

LOL!! Who-gon!! XD That’s hysterical, but don’t worry, I do mentally pronounce it Hugh-gun. XD

After some mental debate, may I add. It’s very similar to the Dutch name “Hugo” which is pronounced with a hard g instead of a soft one.

I was curious as to which would be more historically accurate. If he was actually from the northern regions (Northern Netherlands and Germany, broadly) it would be pronounced in that way since the hard g was a thing back then, (as far as I know) but since he was from France, I’d say you have a pretty correct pronunciation.

Wait, what was my point? Yeah, I was pronouncing it right and Whog-on is the worst possible way to pronounce it XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Hey everybody.

I just wanted to let you know that I’m gonna back out of character castle for now.

It’s been probably the most fun and funniest collaborative stories I’ve been part of, but it’s a lot to keep up with right now and I think at this point my characters will develop better in their own world.

I’ve had a blast doing this with Y’all, and I’ll still be around Story Embers.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

The plot thickens…or grows more explosive, whatever. Mr. RPG guns blazing is your brother huh, your family is quite explosive. @rusted-knight Hey mate.

Lol that is an awful pun and I love it! Yep, my awesomest big brother eva! Aaaand my family be that yeah 😄

I just wanted to let you know that I’m gonna back out of character castle for now. It’s been probably the most fun and funniest collaborative stories I’ve been part of, but it’s a lot to keep up with right now and I think at this point my characters will develop better in their own world. I’ve had a blast doing this with Y’all, and I’ll still be around Story Embers.

Oh no! We’ll miss you! But I totally get too many things to keep up with! *hugs* See ya around tho! <3

11:50 pm
    Rosy freezes, without looking at me. But it’s all kinda clicking that was the last memory.
    “We met here…” It looks really scary and dizzying no, I don’t remember it looking that way. Was always kinda a safe place. “There was the Cherry Tree here–”
    I started to wander onto it and that when Rosy grabbed my hood. That…why is that so comforting? I guess it’s almost tradition now, something she does all the time. She’s…so amazing I don’t deserve to dangle over the same precipice with her! Oh shoot, I’m glad it’s dark if she saw me blushing she’d…probably pummel me?
    Then she let go of my hood, looking over the Bridge slowly almost warily. Her hand drops to her side. We probably have to get on it quick, before the whole thing falls behind us. Since her hand’s right beside me I take it, I’d never really thought about holding her hand so much, we’ve been friends since we were kids. But I don’t want to let go, ever.
    I never told her how much she scared me that day, at the Bridge. It really scared me that she coulda let go…of herself there. Maybe like my mom…
    Her hand is so warm and calloused. She kinda smells like cigarette smoke and sweat, I don’t know why that’s so comforting she’s been trying to quit. Why is her hair so pretty curling over her face? (I wanna touch it)
    She squeezes my hand!
    She doesn’t even look at me but she squeezed my hand! This place is so dark and cold it’s just crazy. We’ve been friends for forever, she’s been family when I didn’t have one. But I don’t wanna just be friends/I don’t want this to ever end.
    “We’re not gonna make it out,” I mumble outloud “are we?”
    Rosy doesn’t answer for several seconds so I already know the answer.
    “No.” She says in a dead tone.
    After a moment I walk onto the Bridge and Rosy doesn’t stop me. So we get out of the noise and the Tower, breathy ice wind stings my eyes. It’s crazy how the rails even look like finger-bones bleached pale with moonlight.
    Tick tock, tick tock goes our footsteps.
    “Rosy…” I don’t know why, but I still held her hand and I walked right up to the rails and she kinda looked at me as if she couldn’t quite make me out. “I’m gonna climb up.”
    “Ehu–” She grips my hand tight when I hop on the rails and nearly lost my balance but I know she had me. I know she won’t let me fall, I know it. ‘…everybody needs somebody to help if they wanna do more than survive!’ I always thought that was just something simple everybody got…I don’t know anymore.
    “Ehud,” Her hand is tighter than she has to grip, and we used to do this all the time… “do you remember when we met?”
    I halt, and glance back. My other hand is in my pocket although I should be holding it out for extra balance. Rosy never talks about that day, not even when I blurt something about it. Kinda too close to her past or something…
    “Yeah…” I look down at the rails I’m dangling on. And kinda wonder how I managed to actually climb that without any help for approximately five seconds. Mostly how I actually dared to do that…I guess I was more scared about her than the rails.
    “It’s really high up…” I wonder what happened to the Cherry Tree. “It almost looks like you can see the whole world up here.”
    When I look over Rosy’s shoulder the Tower looks perfectly fine and pretty and even inviting and the Tower we’re headed to looks twisted and broken. Yike, tell me this isn’t another puzzle! Whichever one falls it’ll bring down the Bridge.
    “Rosy…” She glances over and sighs. She doesn’t look at me.
    Te amo con todo mi corazon, carino.
    When did I get so lost in your heart? When my life has been a wall, a secret and a lie, how do you tear me down without even trying? No puede ser, I can’t be someone you could ever trust…I’m a monster/(I don’t know how to trust anyone)
    I know he’s staring at me now, eyes so big they…
    “You know what I was doing here, carino.” It’s a statement not a question. I…hadn’t expected her to bring it up. She looks a little different tonight, she always has a calm assurance in everything she does. Most of her emotions if she shows them it’s very deliberate, a certain level of trust maybe, otherwise I just have to guess.
    But tonight I don’t know if she meant to or not.
    Her past is a wall I’ve never been over and she never broke down. I was so scared that night, I remember that so much. I thought she was gonna do it…
    “Yeah.” I mumble, dropping onto my heels on the rails so I can try to see her face. “You never, uh, told me why…”
    I’m not sure why I asked, maybe I was that desperate to see her. She never opens up, and it’s gonna keep breaking her like that. (But I don’t want her to run away) Rosy’s eyes slip up to me, they’re so dark I could never find my way out. And…for a second I don’t know if she recognizes me, did I really think I could reach what’s going on inside her? (Sometimes, she scares me…)
    “No,” she says “I didn’t.” And then she pulls me off the rails so she can let go of my hand. I don’t know what I’m thinking, I shouldn’t have felt punched with that. Rosy always wins any emotional hide-and-seek like it’s a game or a cycle we never stop spinning in.
    “Why won’t you just talk to me?! Are you afraid I’d leave you?!” I don’t know why I said that but her eyes flash up and I had my answer. And it’s more ‘oh crap’ than ‘bingo’.
    “Just drop it, Ehud.” It’s that voice, the low edge that scares badguys. But I’m not ready to drop it.
    “Why?! Why do you keep pushing me out, Rosy?!” My eyes sting. I can’t stop myself I don’t even know what I’m saying it doesn’t feel real. But she doesn’t face me I can’t see her eyes. “You think you’re being selfless but you’re just flying scared!”
    Rosy freezes.
    I didn’t mean to say that, I didn’t mean to. Maybe I’ve wanted to say it for a while I don’t think I should.
    11: 50 pm

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Good, that makes me feel much better Rose. You never know how people will pronounce things. xD

@this-is-not-an-alien

I’m good at bad puns. It’s a learned skill. 😉

Which one of you has been writing longer?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

I loved that fight scene! It was so in character for Lorcan, and I liked how he still rescued Liorah even though he really doesn’t like her XD

@this-is-not-an-alien

THEY HELD HANDS!! We’re getting closer!! *Squeals* Man, that was so cute!!

@jasmine

It’s been probably the most fun and funniest collaborative stories I’ve been part of, but it’s a lot to keep up with right now and I think at this point my characters will develop better in their own world.

Oh, I understand! It was amazing having you and Gwen here! She was such a fun character and I’m sure she’ll be amazing in her story! *Gives you a big hug*

@noah-cochran

Good, that makes me feel much better Rose. You never know how people will pronounce things. xD

Very valid point XD Though, if that’s really an issue, you could put a pronunciation guide in the front/back of your manuscript. I quite like them in books, it’s easier than trying to piece together how uncommon names would sound.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy
    Aw thanks so much that means a lot!! XD I find that I have more fun writing fight scenes when Lorcan is involved – he is probably the most exciting thing I have ever created😂. Yeah he really doesn’t like Liorah lolll. But I think he likes to lord things over people or being one step ahead of them, so saving people he doesn’t like or who don’t like him is something he would definitely do in order to get something out of it. And he always does things in order to prove a point. Plus he likes saving girls too heehee he’s a bit of a ladies man😅 a gentlemanly one though, not one of those promiscuous cheating knuckleheads. Lorcan may seem “dark and dangerous” but once you get to know him he’s actually a really honourable chivalrous guy🥰

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ferran

The wolves were massive, supernaturally large. Yet, Liorah barely seemed surprised at them. Before I could keep track of it, one of the wolves attacked Hugon, then turned on Liorah. There was no way I could get there in time.

Before I could do anything, Lorcan shoved Liorah to the ground, out of the way of the wolf. Then Klein snapped its neck with barely any effort. The sound made my blood turn cold.

The landscape changed to a city, too large, too grey and too unfamiliar.

Liorah scrambled away from Lorcan, then turned tail and sprinted to the other side of the room. To anyone else, it would have seemed like she was simply fleeing, but I knew her better than that. I’d seen her pull the strap of leather from beneath her belt as she ran.

One of the creatures’ yellowish eyes fixed on her, trailing her, then gathered itself for a spring. Oh, no, it wouldn’t.

I estimated the distance and swung my staff in a wide arc just as it leapt. I struck it squarely on the jaw, so hard it flew far out of its course. The blow had been so hard I stumbled, barely able to keep my feet. What were these creatures made of, steel?

The animal crouched back, its bloodshot eyes fixed on me now. It was now so close, even if I did hit it, it wouldn’t make much difference.

“Liorah, give me a hand here?” I called back, trying to catch my breath.

“Stop nagging, I got it,” Liorah snapped, with the kind of annoyance that came when she was trying to concentrate and someone interrupted her.

“Take your time, I’ll wait,” I said, sarcastically. I positioned my staff like a spear, so the creature would land on it as it jumped. It wouldn’t make much difference but it might buy me a few seconds.

I heard a whirl, then a sharp snap as the creature gathered itself for the jump. Either the creature had very creaky joints or Liorah was finally in the right position.

“I told you I had it,” she called back, triumphantly, as the creature collapsed with a roar. Its fur was so thick you could barely see where the lead bullet from her sling had dented its skull.

“Keep doing that,” I said, without turning around.

“Wish I could, but I’ll hit someone sure as the sunrise. It’s chaos, I can’t aim that precisely.”

I could see what she meant. It was a seething chaos of people and wolves.

I was just in time to see a wolf slash at Lorcan’s armor. I took a step forward, ready to help, only to watch him lift the wolf up with his bare hands and snap its neck with barely any effort. He had superhuman strength and it was unsettling to watch.

He tossed away the wolf and looked over his shoulder. “Thank me later.”

“I’ll consider it if we both survive this,” Liorah called from across the room. She sounded like she’d almost prefer dying if it meant she wouldn’t have to thank him. I smiled wryly.

I cast a look over my shoulder. Liorah had found a large rock where she could stand, so she had a fairly good view of the battlefield.

“And?” I asked.

“Too crowded, I can’t get a clear shot,” she said.

I had an idea.

Azar had stuck close to my side throughout, only mildly disconcerted at the horse-sized wolves.

I made a hand signal that meant she had to bark.

She looked at me as though I were barking mad but obeyed. (Author’s note: I, too, enjoy terrible puns and y’all are going to have to live with it XD)

One of the wolves reacted to the sound and charged toward us. I scrambled to get out of the way as the wolf  stormed us with slavering jaws.

“That’s your cue,” I shouted up to Liorah.

Whiz, snap, crack. 

The creature roared and crumpled in a heap of fur. I gave a low whistle of admiration. Liorah had hit him squarely in the eye, a ridiculously tiny target from that distance.

“I’m impressed,” I said.

“Yes, of course. I was– definitely aiming there,” Liorah said, sounding sheepish.

I laughed through the roar of battle.

“Mission failed successfully,” I commented. “You should miss more often.”

“Do your part and leave the commentary up to me.” Her tone changed abruptly. “Over your left shoulder.”

I didn’t have time to hesitate but dodged sideways as a bullet screamed by me. Literally. It was one of her whistling bullets that gave off a ridiculously loud screech as air passed through the holes drilled in the stone.

It hit a creature coming from the front. I’d missed it completely, because it wasn’t as large as the others. This looked more like a black chunk of slime.

“Thanks, was the whistling bullet another successful failure?” I asked, ducking out of the way of a wolf Lorcan had sent flying.

“Dramatic effect.”

“Brilliant reason.”

“Hugon, go left!”

This came out of nowhere and I was left hesitating. It took Hugon by surprise just as much since he promptly turned right, trying to figure out where the voice had come from.

I saw what Liorah was trying to do. There was a knot of three creatures to his right, and they were headed straight for him.

“Your other left! Sinister!” she shouted, in annoyance, throwing in the sword fighting term either because she suspected he hadn’t understood her or because of the aforementioned ‘dramatic effect.’

This time he did dodge to the left and Liorah hurled three bullets in quick succession. Two of the creatures fell, one wounded and one dead.

Liorah cursed, then hurled two more. She’d missed in her hurry, but this time she hit and it went down.

Lorcan had cast a circle of wolves around him and stood gazing over them as a rich farmer gazed over his well-tilled property. And failed to notice the black slime oozing nearer behind him.

I gave a sharp whistle to attract Liorah’s attention and pointed my staff toward Lorcan.

“Lorcan, out of the way, now,” Liorah shouted.

I was just hoping he’d actually do it. He might miss the creature entirely or be just too late, while Liorah could hopefully hit it in time. Probably.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Aw thanks so much that means a lot!! XD I find that I have more fun writing fight scenes when Lorcan is involved – he is probably the most exciting thing I have ever created . Yeah he really doesn’t like Liorah lolll. But I think he likes to lord things over people or being one step ahead of them, so saving people he doesn’t like or who don’t like him is something he would definitely do in order to get something out of it. And he always does things in order to prove a point. Plus he likes saving girls too heehee he’s a bit of a ladies man  a gentlemanly one though, not one of those promiscuous cheating knuckleheads. Lorcan may seem “dark and dangerous” but once you get to know him he’s actually a really honourable chivalrous guy

He’s such a cool character!! Liorah may not like him but I certainly do! He’s fun, and I like how he has this kinda bravado but also seems to have a soft side. It makes him that much more interesting!

I’m going to see if I can in any way convince Liorah to behave properly and stop goading him XD Liorah has this interesting thing where she grew up surrounded by arrogant people and became a little too fond of knocking them off their high horses. (In canon this causes all kinds of chaos XD) And she has this terrible habit of jumping to conclusions and being generally annoying so… I can see why he doesn’t exactly like her XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Oh, forgot to mention, I took the liberty of kinda throwing some stuff at Hugon, it might help you get a start. Hope you don’t mind 🙂

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

He’s such a cool character!! Liorah may not like him but I certainly do! He’s fun, and I like how he has this kinda bravado but also seems to have a soft side. It makes him that much more interesting!

Aw that actually means a lot to me thanks! He definitely has a softer side. I have this secret dream that if my book ever gets published, there’s gonna be a huge Lorcan fan base with memes and fanart galore bahahaha

I’m going to see if I can in any way convince Liorah to behave properly and stop goading him XD Liorah has this interesting thing where she grew up surrounded by arrogant people and became a little too fond of knocking them off their high horses. (In canon this causes all kinds of chaos XD) And she has this terrible habit of jumping to conclusions and being generally annoying so… I can see why he doesn’t exactly like her XD

I think Liorah is a pretty cool character too, she’s spunky and doesn’t let anyone undermine her XD oh yes do try, it would be interesting to see how well they would get on if she wasn’t so mean. I think the poor guy is totally worn out from all the crap he gets from her hehe. But I do love their dynamic, she’s like his nightmare nemesis.

Neasa

Lorcan

“Lorcan, out of the way, now!”

Lorcan turned and cocked his head at Liorah, who was gesturing frantically. Why was she-?

His nerves went on high alert as he felt a shift in the molecules behind him. He turned in time to see something highly unpleasant. A black chunk of slime creeping towards him. It opened it’s mouth, exposing it’s disgusting teeth.

Lorcan moved a fraction of a second before it pounced. Teleporting, he reappeared several feet above the creature and sprinted along the side of the building, trying to circle it and get a better look. His gaze followed its movements as it pursued him. It was this sickeningly shiny blob monster with a huge maw that made noises like a dying cat. What in Anu’s name was that thing?

Teleporting behind the creature, Lorcan made to slice it apart with his swords. Which he did so easily.

Blowing out a breath, he pulled down his hood and ran a hand through his black locks. And looked towards Liorah. “There. That wasn’t so hard was it?”

A sickening squelching sound was heard. Lorcan turned to see the creature literally knitting itself back together. So his attack had had no effect whatsoever. He swore, the Gaelic coming out as a guttural growl. This was certainly going to take a while.

Worse still – the monsters, packs of them now, were continuing to appear out of nowhere. And they were totally overwhelmed

Lorcan let out a frustrated growl, brandishing his swords as he braced himself for the onslaught. He hated this Castle to bits.

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”

~ St. Augustine

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 2,509 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest