fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,096 through 1,110 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@calidris

@rose-colored-fancy

Typed this up with about twice the words, but SE crashed for like the zillionth time this summer and I didn’t feel like typing it all up again.

Hugon slipped around another alabaster pillar with silver lines crawling up its smooth side. He seen enough of those to last him a life time. He stopped in front of an incongruously plain door with tarnished hinges, and tried the latch. Unlocked. Slipping inside, he took a quick look around the interior. All darkness, he took a step forward and froze. There were voices coming from where candle light spilled around the wall. He walked over to the bend, pressed his ear to the dank wall, and listened. Someone was giving a boring speech on rifts, whatever those were. He had probably stumbled into a room for madmen, his current luck would demand such a circumstance. Well, he might as well introduce himself.

“…no telling where they lead.” said voice that had been speaking and stopped dead as Hugon sauntered into the room.

The speaker was a man of medium build with worried lines etching furrows into his face. There were two others, one indistinguishable in the shadows, the other a young woman who was pulling the tassels on her tunic so hard she looked about to rip the clothing right off her body.

“Hello my friends,” he said, lacing his voice with sarcasm, “it is absolutely fantastic to see you, and since you’re all tongue tied, I’ll introduce myself. I’m Hugon, and you three are incompetent prison breaks.”

“We are no such thing!” the young woman pulling on her tassels snapped.

“Yeah, whatever. Now could you show me to the lord of this snobbish establishment? Or are you in line for the beheading block. If you are, I’ll be taking my leave. With my current luck, accidental beheading seems just the thing to happen. “

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Ugh, annoying when that happens 🙁

Yep! You got it, that’s exactly what you should do! Also, you got Liorah perfect XD

@calidris

(*Just wondering, did Ferran ever introduce himself?*).

LOL, no he didn’t, I totally forgot! XD

Liorah

“You haven’t happened to see or hear anything odd, have you?  This is an uncanny place, to be sure, but it seems fairly…stable if you know what I mean.  You would know if a Rift had been opened.”

I hesitated, then shook my head. I knew what he meant but I had no gift for telling the difference. I didn’t feel anything spiritual until it was so strong anyone else could too.

“I didn’t feel anything,” I said, then glanced at Ferran.

“Ferran, did you–”

He shrugged.

“There was something just before you came but that might have been you,” he told Misu.

“There’s nothing we can do about it now. Any that he left behind were opened hastily and dangerously, and there’s no telling where they lead,” Misu finished.

“Okay, so that’s no way out. We’ll just have to figure this out as we go…” Ferran said, doubtfully.

“Hello my friends,” A male voice spoke behind me, edged with sarcasm.

I let go of my tassels and spun around, the curved blade of my shamshir already arcing out of the scabbard. The shining steel shimmered in the few sparks of candlelight.

I held my shamshir in an easy guard but made no move to attack yet.

“It is absolutely fantastic to see you, and since you’re all tongue-tied, I’ll introduce myself. I’m Hugon, and you three are incompetent prison breaks,” the man said, haughtily.

My eyebrows shot up. Arrogant one, wasn’t he? Alright, two could play at that game.

I casually tucked my shirt back into my loose linen pants, ignoring the stains of blood still on them. I looked like a mess but I wasn’t letting on.

I tossed my head back, and the sapphire attached to the gold chain in the middle of my forehead flicked back. If the man was from Yerasht, he would know I was the Lehabim princess. If he wasn’t, I would save that fact for a more convenient moment.

“We are no such thing,” I snapped, as haughtily as he had.

Ferran gave an exasperated sigh, somewhere behind me.

“This again,” I heard him mumble.

“Yeah, whatever. Now could you show me to the lord of this snobbish establishment? Or are you in line for the beheading block? If you are, I’ll be taking my leave. With my current luck, accidental beheading seems just the thing to happen.” This Hugon said.

“Take your leave all you wish. We might as well be,” I said, shooting an amused look at the door behind him. I’d bet my boots it was locked by now. Lord Castle had an awful liking for locking us all up in the same room.

“As for the lord, if you find him, tell me. I promised to strangle him with his own intestines and that threat stands,” I said, cheerily. I did not return my sword to its scabbard, not yet.

“You promised several other things but we can’t go over all of them right now,” Ferran mumbled,

I snickered, then looked Hugon up and down pointedly, from his leather riding boots to his unusually light hair. Probably from Tirbren or Shykval, if he wasn’t from another alternate universe. He wasn’t from the deserts of Yerasht like Ferran and I. He was dressed like it too, with heavier clothes of wool instead of linen.

“I’m Liorah,” I said, as soon as I’d let the silence become awkward. “No, I don’t know where we are, I don’t know how to get out, I don’t know who or what Lord Castle is, thanks for asking.”

~~~~~~~~~

Oof, Liorah always makes the weirdest first impressions XD

I can’t wait to see how Hugon and Liorah interact, Hugon looks so cool!

@everyone

I think as soon as Hugon has kinda met everyone, I’ll get the Castle to put in some action! *Evil writer’s laughter*

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

calidris
    @calidris

@rose-colored-fancy oooh sounds good!  I just wanted to clarify: Liorah would absolutely know if a Rift had been opened… *flashback to the Shrike’s dramatic entry*

I had some stuff to contribute, but SE kept crashing.  At least I had a backup, so I’ll post that soon 🙂

Also, as soon as everyone’s settled I might introduce another character – we’ll see if he gets tired of his warm welcome at the villain castle first lol

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@calidris

oooh sounds good!  I just wanted to clarify: Liorah would absolutely know if a Rift had been opened… *flashback to the Shrike’s dramatic entry*

LOL, sorry, misunderstanding on my side! So, a Rift is only opened when they actually switch dimensions, not when they only pass through. Got it!

Also, as soon as everyone’s settled I might introduce another character – we’ll see if he gets tired of his warm welcome at the villain castle first lol

“Warm welcome” LOL XD

Liorah is going to freak out if she sees the Shrike! XD

@noah-cochran

@this-is-not-an-alien

@sparrowhawke

@jasmine

@rusted-knight

@irishcelticredflowercrown

Okay, the initial idea was to figure out the laser tag, but I still can’t think of any way to introduce it to medieval characters without them getting horribly confused or freaking out XD

SooOOoo… Hey, Cathy, Jasmine, and RustedKnight, remember the beast attack wayyy back? Maybe something like that again? It was fun!

For everyone else who wasn’t there yet, it involved a bunch of random fantasy beasts attacking them. Just a bit of fun fight-scene writing. (And I really, really want to write another fight scene with Liorah and Ferran together since that’s always awesome)

So, could be fun? What do y’all think?

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

I’m up for writing a piece about that. So, basically a bunch of monsters come into the castle the characters are at and are character fight them?

calidris
    @calidris

@rose-colored-fancy exactly!  In my story, reality is composed of this collective element that makes up this things called the  Veil, which is basically the fabric of reality.  Rifts occur when a hole is torn in the Veil.  Misu can only pass through Rifts, not create them.  Because this element as massive amounts of potential energy (think like radioactive elements), some people want to use it to make a superbomb…

Yeah I’ll probably introduce him soon.  I’m just going to leave him in a little longer, then he’ll probably get sad and leave 🙁  He’s going to have an interesting surprise waiting at the character castle lol.

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

I’m up for writing a piece about that. So, basically a bunch of monsters come into the castle the characters are at and are character fight them?

Yep! Basically! Anything goes, but last time it was stuff like lion-headed dogs and any kind of mildly disturbing creature you can invent! Oh, and they have green blood. I don’t know who started that but it stuck.

Last time there was some kind of opening latch. (Did Liorah open it? nO, oF cOUrse not!) And the creatures attacked them from there. It’s more fun if we can get the characters to work together!

I’m down to start it if you like, but go ahead if you think you got it! 🙂

@calidris

exactly!  In my story, reality is composed of this collective element that makes up this things called the  Veil, which is basically the fabric of reality.  Rifts occur when a hole is torn in the Veil.  Misu can only pass through Rifts, not create them.  Because this element as massive amounts of potential energy (think like radioactive elements), some people want to use it to make a superbomb…

That’s SO COOL! That’s such an awesome premise!!

Yeah I’ll probably introduce him soon.  I’m just going to leave him in a little longer, then he’ll probably get sad and leave    He’s going to have an interesting surprise waiting at the character castle lol.

LOL, yes! I’m curious to see how he’ll react to my angsty assassins XD Though, I’d like to see Liorah’s reaction too when not one but two supernatural beings drop from the sky XD

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

11:39 pm

Two seconds and it all goes south, dead in tracks. The moment I recoil it shifts form, turning into a monster. Nails grow long and sharp like spiderlegs, the bastard I promise I’ll rip it apart. The thing looks up at me, without any pupils and its face twisted into some sort of taunting grin

Click in

My gun in its face as it turns black and blobish like ink words meshed together. Snap! I duck before it even slashes and the game, the adrenaline kicks in. I know a fight like I know Ehud’s mind, don’t even have to think. It makes a jab at the gun so I knee its stomach and in a flash I’m in the wall black ooze in front of me like a fiery pitch. Not good, not fighting with something human better change my tact.

11:40 pm

Grab its skin, fire twice into its almost paralyzed almost-human face make an undercut out. Thing of beauty, master’s touch. But I knew better the bullet cut through but didn’t do nothing except make it scream, glopping a thick paste of green blood. Lucky for me, I’d be disappointed if it just died on me that quick, the little cochino. Not with all this crap I’ll have my piece.
    Sudden as Santa Muerte the room shakes like it’ll shatter, twists to the side just in time for that creature to make its go, dead at my face. It knows it’s targets but I know my way about and I kick into the sideway wall with a fist ready. Maybe just half a second not fast enough as it knocks my jaw but I already jerk free. Breath, I can hear my breathing like an animal in a flight/fight frenzy. Ha, this is the point where I become a monster.
    “Go ahead and cheat,” I say low and raspy, spit blood out the side of my mouth, crisp smile edging in. “It’ll give me two seconds more satisfaction..”

11:41

And it gets up with a hissing growl, la sombra. Now you’re dead.
    “Ros–”

Click out

Ehud followed me. And how am I supposed to do what it takes to survive with innocent itself watching? But in a second the thing springs again, I shoot at the neck just to offset its leap and twist to the side, the floor is cracking.
    “Excuse me, Murderous Mayhem here–” Lord Castle’s stupid drawl crackles off the walls

Click in

“You humans might have a problem with the collapsing bottom soon so I’d start climbing…”

“Just shut the he–” Claws rake at my face, bend back just in time and I return with a kick into its body hard enough it’d send most two-ten pound men flying but that creature’s skin adheres to my leg trying to knock off balance. I crash to the floor spun in an agile crouch just as the floor cracks out under me. Flip up, hear Ehud give a yelp, I know he can climb he’ll make on his own. Then I catch eyes with the deformed black, and it’s holed mouth contorts in a sick grin. It’s face twist to Ehud. Hurt him and I’ll break–

Click out

11:42,
    11:43 pm

Click in

It slashes at my man, he scrambles back in time, I will murder it slowly.
    “Waitwaitwait! Can’t we talk this ov–” With another high-pitched yelp, Ehud ducks back at another attack. Oh, that’s my idiota, he’s trying to get it on an unstable tile. That’s a really stupid plan. I yank it by the glob of its neck and flip the thing onto a cracked set of floor. Stomp hard of its stomach, fire the rest of my round saving one bullet into it. Every bullet it lurches back and Ehud gives a noise like it’s hitting him instead. Tender heart, he’s not right for me, I’m not right for him.
    “Let’s just get out of here befo–” He starts to plead then catches his breath. “Marsha! Marsha’s still down there!”
    “Then she’s dead!” I snatch his hood before he can dash down. It takes the creature two seconds to claw back at it, I aim back to fire but then its face shifts. And then I’m staring at Ehud’s disbelieving face, eyes so wide they–

Click out

I don’t fire in time, I miss and my hands shake they’ve never shook in a fight before. Before I can think the creature is gone, dashed out the room downward. Ehud is yelling something but all I see is his face and my gun in his face. Click in out. His face and my gun I’m a monster his face, click–
    “Ros–Rosy!” I blanche, can’t come to, everything blurred. It’s…my tears I don’t have emotions. He’s tugging my arm like an over-excited puppy. Clickinclickoutclickinclickou– “Are you ok–?”
    I slam him into the wall and his gray-blue eyes widen. Click in/out–
    “Do you remember me now?” It’s not the question I meant to ask but it’s out now. I already know the answer, he’s too scared of me to have remembered…
    “I–I don’t know…” He blinks a lot, I can already feel his fingers in my pocket as his nervous habit of stealing kicks in. Not a very good pickpocket but good enough for a kleptomaniac. Words aren’t coming to my head. “I remember…remember

something about a bridge…”
    The Bridge.
    “That’s where we met.” I say tersely. Even without remembering me…he asked if I was ok. Funny kid–I release him, just as the ceiling is starting to bust. “We need to get moving.”
    My own voice sounds harsher than usual.
    “But Marsh–”
    “If you go down there you’re dead, Ehud!” I snap. It’s the truth, she’s dead by now if she’s still down there. Dead–I could’ve killed him, I saw him, his face my gun ImamonsterImamonster “you’re dead…”

11:49 pm

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

calidris
    @calidris

@rose-colored-fancy

Ferran shrugged.  “There was something just before you came, but that might have been you.”  Misu shook his head.

“It wasn’t me.  I don’t have the ability to make Rifts.”  He sighed.  “Oh well.  There’s nothing we can do now.  We’ll have to be careful.  Any Rifts that he left behind were opened hastily and dangerously, and there’s no telling where they lead.”  Misu groaned.  If only Avathi were here…

“Okay, so that’s no way out.”  Ferran murmured doubtfully.  “We’ll just have to figure this out as we go…”

“Hello my friends.”

Misu whipped around.  Liorah drew her sword – curved, like the types Avathi and young Khamal Khanzada carried long ago.

“It is absolutely fantastic to see you, and since you’re all tongue tied, I’ll introduce myself.  I’m Hugon, and you three are incompetent prison breaks.”

Speaking of Khamal Khanzada…

Perhaps it was good that Avathi wasn’t here, after all.  He would have a few choice words for this arrogant stranger.

Liorah tossed her head, tucking her shirt back into her loose pants.

“We are no such thing,” she snapped haughtily.

Now, now. 

“This again,” Ferran sighed.

“Yeah, whatever. Now could you show me to the lord of this snobbish establishment? Or are you in line for the beheading block? If you are, I’ll be taking my leave. With my current luck, accidental beheading seems just the thing to happen.”

“Take your leave all you wish. We might as well be.  As for the lord, if you find him, tell me. I promised to strangle him with his own intestines and that threat stands,” Liorah remarked cheerfully.

Charming.

“You promised several other things but we can’t go over all of them right now,” Ferran muttered.  Liorah snickered.  A heavy silence fell over the group.

“I’m Liorah.  No, I don’t know where we are, I don’t know how to get out, I don’t know who or what Lord Castle is, thanks for asking.”

Misu bit his lip.  He turned to the stranger – Hugon – and extended his hand, smiling uncomfortably.

“I’m Misu.”

Please, can everyone at least try to get along?

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ferran

Something most people discovered about Liorah fairly quickly was that she was allergic to arrogance. It made her break out in disrespect and sarcasm. It was an unfortunate trait for a princess, whose entire life consisted of trying to be polite to people she didn’t particularly like. She was awful at it.

Something rumbled in the distance. Azar growled, her feathery fur ruffling in uncertainty.

I shushed her and scratched her behind the ears. She quieted, but her ears stayed pricked, alarmed.

“Something’s wrong,” I said, quietly.

Liorah spun on the heel of her scuffed riding boots, eyebrows raised in a question.

“I don’t know,” I said. I nodded toward where the noise had come from and Liorah turned, sword still in a cautious guard.

“This is getting dull. Let’s see if you can still do it.” A voice rumbled through the walls, echoing through the chamber.

I flinched, then jumped to my feet. That was Lord Castle’s voice, and that had never meant anything well.

A door on the far side of the room slowly ground open, revealing a long, narrow tunnel. Completely dark, and growling was coming from the end of it.

Liorah cussed. A long, loud string of words entirely unfit for a princess. I couldn’t understand them, she’d chosen Lehabim, but I could guess.

I raised my eyebrows.

“Language,” I warned,

“Do you want me to do it in Common?” Liorah snapped. “It’s sending monsters at us again. This happened before.”

She raised her sword, still ready for whatever would come out of those tunnels.

Hugon was peering at her as if he thought she was daft. Not an uncommon assumption.

The first creature charged out of the tunnel. I saw only a hurtling smear of brown. It looked rather like a hyena, only much, much larger, almost the size of a horse.

I couldn’t help a gasp of horror at the thing. It was charging directly at Hugon.

Liorah grabbed his arm and yanked him out of the way, barely in time.

She slashed at its legs but her sword barely got through the thick fur, leaving a smear of emerald blood on the blade.

The creature roared in pain and spun on her again.

There was no way this would end well.

~~~~~~

Okay, y’all! Go for it! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Things happened fast. The man called Misu went from trying to find friends to talking about about being something like a prophet. What caught Klein’s attention was his reference to rifts.

The aliens used wormholes ships to move their fleets. Their biological appearance was practically identical to Earth’s population. The big difference was a genome change that allowed the aliens to go outside of the biological box with prosthetics that Earthlings had yet to adapt as easily too. And Klein had seen their soldiers at work. Shock troopers with more animalistic legs for higher jumps and faster runs. Commandos with integrated weapons and sensors making them tough to fight using normal tactics. If Misu was one of the aliens, Klein might not return unscathed.

Then there was another person who appeared. Hugon who seemed to be some hotshot crook. He didn’t seem to be a killer but the most dangerous never did. If he did prove to be so his gear was that of a rogue’s, light and short ranged. Easily avoided.

But of course, no plan survives contact with the enemy. Before anything decisive from either new castaway could happen, the Lord Castle being opened a door. What charged out was a classic RPG fenrir. Before Klein could line up a clean shot, it bowled into Liorah. Switching from rifle to knife, He took two bounds and jumped on the wolf. Suddenly weighted down by a few hundred pounds, the wolf staggered. Rolling himself around the beast’s neck, Klein yanked it onto the floor exposing the neck. Stab, twist. The wolf died fast.

“Now now, that was too fast.” said the voice again.

The tiles on the floor moved and expanded. In seconds, the once empty room became a basic replica of an urban district.

“Try again.”

Deep howling began. More wolves were on the move.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rusted-knight

Guns blazing vs aliens? I don’t know if Hugon will be able to participate in this fight. xD

calidris
    @calidris

@noah-cochran he can watch from the sidelines and make sarcastic commentary lol

Although, if he has any sort of weapon he can probably find a way to participate, if he wants 🙂

*laughs as one fey*

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@calidris

I love that idea. 🙂

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Guns blazing vs aliens? I don’t know if Hugon will be able to participate in this fight. xD

LOL, Klein and Rosy (Who is elsewhere) are the only characters with guns, so all the others are at the same disadvantage XD

LOL, this is going to be great!

Also, remember that you can change the scenery and monsters at any time! That’s the fun of it! And if you need the castle to hurl a sword at Hugon, that’s cool too!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,096 through 1,110 (of 1,123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest