fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

And then Rilyn and Konyar suddenly vanished with a small pop! and they were home and they had an ice cream cone and everyone danced and they lived happily ever after. 

*goes to read all I’ve missed* (also, yes, Rilyn and Konyar are gone now. Sorry, that was like the worst way to take a character out, but I figured so much has happened, that would be the easiest way.

Man, guys, I’m genuinely so sorry. I used to be so involved in the forums–I’d check them every day! But now… *small sigh* It’s strange, watching yourself grow up. Seeing your interests and the way you spend your time and your hobbies shift. I mean, I suppose it’s a good thing that you change and grow and mature, but it’s a little sobering to think about (at least for me because I’ll never be the person who I once was)

*actually goes to read ALL I’ve missed*

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

Okaaaay. Here’s my new character *fanfare plays* Zanar!!! *winks again at @joelle-stone*

Race: Skyinian. (All Skyinians have silver haired and seem to have paler skin. They’re taller and thinner, and soft-footed. They’re the ultimate warriors.)

Appearance: Shaggy (right, Joelle? that’s how I always imagined it) silver hair; dark eyes (like almost black eyes); and follows the rest of the Skyinian traits.

Personality: humorous; the kind of person who grins a lot; has a heavy sense of duty towards his Guarded, Ryli Tyll. (It’s a Skyinian thing); has a hard time confessing something. (Joelle, these are all things I picked up from what I’ve read of him and what people have told me. I know you weren’t really in the story much at the time Zanar was created, but if you see anything contradicting, please tell me! It’ll be such a help!)

Zanar: 

“This is really dumb, Zanar,” Luminar whispered, his ice-blue eyes as round as saucers.

Zanar puffed out the breath he’d been holding as he wiggled through the wet tunnel. “Relax, Lumie. Now you have a story to tell in your otherwise really boring life!” Zanar shot a grin over his shoulder at his friend, who was currently having trouble worming his pudgy bulk through the narrow passage.

“Ha, ha. Very funny. But I’m serious! If it rains, we’ll be in sooo much trouble, ” he whisper-hissed.

Zanar begrudgingly admitted to himself that Luminar had a point. In the rain drainage sewers, they would be in very deep yogurt if the unpredictable skies decided to drench Skyinia. But they would be fine. Right?

Zanar squeezed through a particularly tight part of the sewers with a grunt. He continued army-crawling forwards, telling himself that he was on a grand adventure and was not crawling through a smelly, drippy, wet, disgusting hole with a whining companion.

Yeaaaahhhh. Even he was starting to regret this decision.

Zanar was so lost in his thoughts, it took him a moment to realize that Luminar was calling his name.

“I’m stuck!” Luminar said, hyperventilating.

Zanar craned his neck to blink at his friend. “Are you serious?”

“What do you think?” Luminar attempted to pull himself through, bracing his hands against the sides of the tunnel, but he only ended up chanting under his breath, “Ow ow ow ow. Why did I ever agree to this?”

Zanar threw his hands up in exasperation–or tried to. The low ceiling banged his fingers. Rubbing his knuckles, Zanar considered their predicament. But he only was left with more frustration. “Okay,” he said slowly. “I can’t back up to help you, since it’s so narrow. And I’d be sticking my feet in your face. I can’t turn around either. As far as I can see, there’s only one option. But you’re not gonna like it.”

Luminar paused his staring and looked up. “Oh, no. What is it?”

“Well, if I continue through until I get to where it comes out, I can back-pedal to the entrance and push you through from behind.”

Luminar muttered a word that Zanar’s mother would not have approved of. “You sure that’s the only way?”

Zanar shrugged. “Got any better ideas?”

Luminar grumbled more dirty words before he said, “Fine. But please hurry!”

Feeling more confident that he was on some cool rescue endeavor, he wormed through as quickly as his lithe body would allow. He was busy humming a heroic theme under this breath, so he didn’t hear the roaring gurgle noise until it was too late. Before he knew what was happening, icy water bowled over him, dragging him along like a rag doll in its thundering current.

Zanar sucked in a sharp breath–and immediately regretted it as frigid water flooded his lungs. He tossed and flailed, screaming Luminar’s name, knowing his friend was right, knowing he was going to drown, knowing he’d gotten his friend killed–

Then he was falling.

Falling through what felt like the softest feathers.

He instinctively scrunched into a ball–even though he’d heard it was better to go limp or something that he couldn’t remember–expecting to splat against the ground any moment.

But then the featherness melted away, and he was floating and flailing in the air as several strangers did the same.

Yelling. There was also lots of sarcastic yelling.

“What the heck?” Zanar shouted, very tempted to use the not-s0-nice word Luminar had spat.

Weightless, he flipped upside down, even though he was flapping his arms like a chicken, trying to right himself. His shaggy silver hair flopped into his eyes. And he huffed until it blew upwards-only to have it fall back down again.

“Is this, like, something that normally happens here?” he asked over the arguing, still waving his arms ridiculously.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hehe. There you go! *rubs hands together as she anticipates Liorah’s sarcastic response*

~Author Unknown

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@rose-colored-fancy

Your profile picture is AMAZING! Did you draw it?

Thank you!! And yes, I drew it — but I do have to admit that I can’t draw realistically without a reference photo, XD

Ah, yes. Welcome to my world. I can’t listen to music like a normal person anymore XD But, I have gotten attached to songs I don’t even really like because they fit a character SO well.

IKR?!

Aww, thank you so much! I was just kind of playing around with it, trying to find something that sounds right. And yes, she’s actually much sweeter than she lets anyone see. She definitely has a soft side, she just hides it well XD You do see it coming through in her reactions with Riure, a bit.

I love it when we see that other side of our characters, *winsome sigh*

Okay, I hoped that made some semblance of sense. It was helpful to write it all out since it was a bit tangled in my mind.

OH MY GOODNESS! That was so great!!! You really pulled all that together, and I have a much better understanding of Liorah now 😉

Don’t worry about not knowing it! It’s a really obscure writing term that refers to a specific event or series of events that caused a character’s internal lie. It might be traumatic, or just a series of events that shaped their false worldview. A quick example: A character whose arc is about learning generosity might have a lie like this: I can only be happy if I’m wealthy, and I can only be wealthy if I hoard my wealth. This character’s ghost might be a childhood full of poverty.

Oh! I see now; that would actually be a great writing exercise, thank you!

Liorah’s ghost is her father’s death, and her mother’s lack of support directly afterward. (This was actually much more extensive than I could fit in the flashback. Her mother didn’t mean to, but the civil struggle and having to help lead the tribe with no prior experience took a lot of time and energy and she didn’t realize that Liorah needed help.)

That is a perfect ghost!! I think it really fits Liorah.

@this-is-not-an-alien

I don’t even with music anymore I’ll literally look for albums to listen to when I’m writing a particular scene and half the music I listen to it be like; this has great tone and imagery! Or ‘I’m gonna listen to this awful music because it feels so horrific it’s perfect for this scene!!!’

LOL! That’s so funny!

@EVERYBODY

Hey, y’all! Sorry its taken me so long to get back, XD I totally disappeared 😛 Anyhow, I just wanted to let y’all know that I won’t be posting for a while, because I’ve got to limit my screen time, and I have some other things I need to get to. So I totally get it, @mischievous-thwapling 😀 I just wanted to say that I really love SE, and you guys have really helped me learn a lot and grow as a writer! I’ve loved talking to y’all, because you’re always so kind and loving and don’t mind weird odd-balls like me. So, good bye for now, and happy writing!!

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@wingiby-iggiby

Thank you!! And yes, I drew it — but I do have to admit that I can’t draw realistically without a reference photo, XD

That’s fantastic! And don’t worry about using references, I use them every. single. time. I cannot draw without them XD

OH MY GOODNESS! That was so great!!! You really pulled all that together, and I have a much better understanding of Liorah now

That is a perfect ghost!! I think it really fits Liorah.

Thank you so much, Wingiby! I’m so glad that works!

Anyhow, I just wanted to let y’all know that I won’t be posting for a while, because I’ve got to limit my screen time, and I have some other things I need to get to.

I totally understand!

just wanted to say that I really love SE, and you guys have really helped me learn a lot and grow as a writer! I’ve loved talking to y’all, because you’re always so kind and loving and don’t mind weird odd-balls like me. So, good bye for now, and happy writing!!

Until we meet again, Wingiby! It was so amazing getting to talk to you, you’re an awesome, funny, and kind person! I hope to see you again soon!

@mischievous-thwapling

And then Rilyn and Konyar suddenly vanished with a small pop! and they were home and they had an ice cream cone and everyone danced and they lived happily ever after.

*goes to read all I’ve missed* (also, yes, Rilyn and Konyar are gone now. Sorry, that was like the worst way to take a character out, but I figured so much has happened, that would be the easiest way.

XD Ice cream and happily-ever-after is an excellent way to end anything XD

Man, guys, I’m genuinely so sorry. I used to be so involved in the forums–I’d check them every day! But now… *small sigh* It’s strange, watching yourself grow up. Seeing your interests and the way you spend your time and your hobbies shift. I mean, I suppose it’s a good thing that you change and grow and mature, but it’s a little sobering to think about (at least for me because I’ll never be the person who I once was)

That’s totally fine, and I completely understand. You put it into words so well XD

Hehe. There you go! *rubs hands together as she anticipates Liorah’s sarcastic response*

LOL! I love how you just know she’ll be sassy about it XD You couldn’t be more right XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Liorah

“What the heck?” I spun around to see a new person had somehow plummeted through the ceiling. It was a boy, judging by his voice, he was about twelve, though he was tall for his age.

“Is this, like, something that normally happens here?” he asked, flailing gracelessly.

“Of course it is. You mean you don’t do this every Thursday?” I said, in a tone as if I did, in fact, do this every week.

“I mean,” I continued, “Who wouldn’t want to be bitten and scratched by supernatural, green-blooded beasts–” I gestured toward the bandage on my leg, “Almost fall down a bottomless abyss, get locked in a room and forced to pick out half to die, under the threat of being dropped to our death and the half that stayed behind was– what was it again, Gav?”

“I believe the castle threatened to squash us, but it didn’t quite follow through,” Gavril said. He didn’t seem at all impressed by the situation, judging by his frown and how tightly he was gripping the railing.

“Yes, that. What’s not to love? We have fun here!” I said, sarcastically.

I pushed against the ceiling to flip upside down, so I could study the upside-down stranger better. He peered at me in the utmost astonishment, out of the palest ice-blue eyes I’d ever seen. Everything about him was pale, hair, eyes, and skin. He was even fairer than the Shykvallians and Tirbrennians, the nations in the northern countries. He was tall for his age and unusually lithe. I was still taller, though it was hard to judge since we were upside down and floating through space.

I smiled, then kicked against the ceiling so I flipped around again. It had been hard at first, but I was getting used to the way you had to move here.

“I’m Gavril and that’s my little sister and the greatest pest that has ever graced this earth, Liorah,” Gav said.

I grinned proudly. It had taken me years to earn that title.

I had the irresistible urge to try something utterly ridiculous. It wasn’t an uncommon sensation. I waited until I reached the ground, then stood, as well as I could.

I pushed off as hard as possible, arching into a backflip. Usually, this ended in me falling flat on my back, with Sahar giggling because I couldn’t do it. This time, I sprung into a somewhat graceful arc.

“Look, Gav! I did it!” I said, excitedly.

“I’m glad to see you’re not bothered by our imminent destruction,” Gavril said, dryly.

“Nah, I’m getting used to near-death experiences.”

See what I meant about Liorah having no sense of self-preservation? I still can’t get used to how well she’s handling this. I think she’s distracted by her newfound acrobatic abilities and doesn’t really understand the potential danger.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Jasmine
    @jasmine

I just wanted to say that I really love SE, and you guys have really helped me learn a lot and grow as a writer! I’ve loved talking to y’all, because you’re always so kind and loving and don’t mind weird odd-balls like me. So, good bye for now, and happy writing!!

Thank you so much! It’s been really fun writing with you and I think its cool how we stuck together when the flabbit room shut down. Goodbye for now, come back soon!

@mischievous-thwapling

Wait…is this the same Zanar from Rebeca twelve’s Collaborative story? The one who got plastered with the bowl of Ice cream?

Ha ha I just realized how weird that would sound if it was a different character but I’m 99 percent sure it’s the same character.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“N-no,” His voice cracked. “I’m not going, you can’t make me! I’m not going I’m not going!” He fought my grip harder than he ever had before but I wasn’t giving in. He deserved much better than me, and he was young enough, vibrant enough, he’d recover. He might always miss me but he’d recover. “You can’t make me! Please!” Ehud grabbed the rails, clinging so hard I had to pry his fingers off to get him to move. Only ever so often did he ever actually sob hysterically, but now he breath comes in and out in sharp gasps sharp enough no se lo how he could be breathing. “Rosy!” Oooohhh! That physically hurt me, *More sobbing*

Oh thank you! I actually did cry a little while writing that. And I love Liorah threatening to strangle Lord Castle by its intestines and her whole attitude during the entire thing, she’s such a fun character to read about!

It might just be me, but is she mixing in more Spanish now she’s upset? It works really well as an indicator that she’s upset, it makes her thoughts seem more frantic and disorganized. I like it! That entire post was brilliant! I love it!!

Yes, I’m glad it worked I was just running with a guess! Thank you!

Man, guys, I’m genuinely so sorry. I used to be so involved in the forums–I’d check them every day! But now… *small sigh* It’s strange, watching yourself grow up. Seeing your interests and the way you spend your time and your hobbies shift. I mean, I suppose it’s a good thing that you change and grow and mature, but it’s a little sobering to think about (at least for me because I’ll never be the person who I once was) *actually goes to read ALL I’ve missed*

THWAPLING!! *bowls over with a hug for no good reason other than hugs*
    Yea…growing up. It ain’t for wimps, I mean, sometimes it’s exciting and great but then you look back and either feel like you’ve wasted time or you’ve shed a whole period of time and you can’t go back and teach your younger self for all that or enjoy things the exact same way you did.

I just wanted to say that I really love SE, and you guys have really helped me learn a lot and grow as a writer! I’ve loved talking to y’all, because you’re always so kind and loving and don’t mind weird odd-balls like me. So, good bye for now, and happy writing!!

*also bowls over with a hug* I’m gonna miss you! Goodbye for now and God bless! <3

Rosario was on her feet a heartbeat after the door slapped open. This was wrong, so wrong, she was supposed to be dead. That was her job. Everyone was here, Ehud looked stunned out of speech. The blind girl was laughing, hugging her dog. Instinctively she whirled Riure around and shook her.
    “Listen to me, don’t you ever put yourself in danger like that again” She said “or I’ll handcuff you to Ehud for the rest of this” Her hands pressed tight on Riure’s shoulders, all her stress pressing into them.
    “Rosy…?” Ehud said faintly, he still hadn’t moved, the note she wrote still in his hand. Three small words scribbled on it.
    “Working on it!”
    Rosario glanced down at the paper, for the first time in her life a sliver of panic crept into her eyes. His eyes instinctively dropped to the crinkled note and he reddened and stammered something incoherently, more tears pooling in the corners of his gray-blue eyes.
    “Why’d you leave me…?” Ehud finally whispered. Rosario hesitated, before slowly walking to him and wrapping her arms around his shoulders. He flinched, and almost drew back. For a second Rosario blinked with a blank feeling of…
    “Don’t flail your arms. It only makes it worse,”
    “I…” Rosario felt herself caught between two gears, unable to click in or out of either. An explanation, why had she pushed him out? To protect him, as always. Really? To protect him? “I did what I had to…”
    Even to her own ears her words lacked conviction. To protect him? Or was she really protecting herself from ever having to commit to something she was completely unequipped for? His big round eyes cracked with betrayal. And then his head dropped to his…hovering(!?) feet, and the result is that he nearly curled into a aerial loop, yelping and flapping his arms. Instinctively Rosario grabbed the first thing she could reach, missed and instead grips Ehud’s foot.
    “Intruder! Intruder!”
    “Get down right now!” Rosario yelled yanking Ehud by his leg which just thrust her farther up, with a dizzying lack of control over the situation. Flipping backwards Ehud gave a breathless laugh. Frantically Rosario snatched until she was clutching bunches of his jacket collar.
    “You have got to be kidding!”
    “Off to Neverland!” Ehud giggled throwing his hands in the air, in the process forgetting the note and sending it floating through the air unread.
    “I just got word the spectrum of awfulness has expanded to allow for more possibilities,” That was when they noticed the…somethings flying at them.
    “…are we gonna die again?”
    “TURN IT OFF!”
    “What the heck?” A new voice shouted, Ehud turned and nearly flipped out of Rosario’s grip causing her to bit off a scream. She couldn’t control this situation, she couldn’t control her own body floating in space, any second variables could change and they could fall, she’d never felt so helpless before. Perhaps she had before, when she was a child trained as an weapon. Helplessness was a feeling she couldn’t take since then.
    “Is this, like, something that normally happens here?”
    “Normal is subjective!” Ehud hoots “what’s normal to the spider is chaos to the fly!”

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Popping in to say that life is a little busy right now, and IDK when I’ll get a chance to post anything other than quick “How’de do”s here and there. Still reading, though!! And Thwapling, all Zanar’s stuff looks accurate. 😀 I can’t wait to see how he and Riure get along… XD

@jasmine

Yep, same Zanar!! (Poor guy, he didn’t deserve the ice cream. XD)

@this-is-not-an-alien

“what’s normal to the spider is chaos to the fly!”

Words of wisdom from Ehud! Is that a paradox? XD

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@wingiby-iggiby

Blergh! As soon as I’ve come back, you must leave! (It’s like we’re playing tag team–one person disappears while the other remains at the forums, then when the 1st person comes back, the second leaves the forums)

I’ll miss you! May the Maker bless you and watch over you, wherever your paths take you. (Hmm, I in a Wingfeather-y speaking mood)

@rose-colored-fancy

IKR? Ice cream definitely makes everything better.

That’s totally fine, and I completely understand. You put it into words so well XD

Lol, thx! I’m glad all of you on here are so nice and understanding XD

Hehehe…well, yes, I’ve learned to take sassy-ness and Liorah as one and the same (in an awesome, Liorah’s-so-makes-me-laugh way).

@jasmine

As Joelle Stone said, yep, same Zanar!

@this-is-not-an-alien

CAAATTHHHYYYY!!! *as soon as you pull away, bowls you over with a hug of my own* It’s so good to see–or talk?–to you again!

Yea…growing up. It ain’t for wimps, I mean, sometimes it’s exciting and great but then you look back and either feel like you’ve wasted time or you’ve shed a whole period of time and you can’t go back and teach your younger self for all that or enjoy things the exact same way you did.

Wow…that’s so true. (also, like Joelle said, I love how you just drop those little pearls of wisdom into your writing. How do you do that?!)

@joelle-stone

I’m right with you there! And yeah, it’ll be so much fun XD And good to know! Thx. 🙂

~Author Unknown

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

Zanar: 

“Of course it is. You mean you don’t do this every Thursday?” a female voice asked sarcastically.

Zanar, after several moments of thrashing, managed–somehow–to flip himself over and meet the girl’s gaze. Or maybe “young woman” would’ve been better than “girl.” Zanar wasn’t exactly sure since she looked about sixteen, and he had no idea what that age qualified as.

“I mean,” she continued, “who wouldn’t want to be bitten and scratched by supernatural, green-blooded beasts, almost fall down a bottomless abyss, get locked in a room and forced to pick out half to die, under the threat of being dropped to our death and the half that stayed behind was– what was it again, Gav?”

“I believe the castle threatened to squash us, but it didn’t quite follow through,” a young man answered, almost dryly. He reminded Zanar of the strangely-dressed young woman, and the Skyinian wondered if they were related.

“Yes, that. What’s not to love? We have fun here!”  she said, saracism dripping from every word.

“I’m Gavril and that’s my little sister and the greatest pest that has ever graced this earth, Liorah,” Gavril said.

Gavril and Liorah said something more to each other, but Zanar was too  distracted by the oddity of the situation to register it.

“Actually,” Zanar said to Liorah, “I do this every Monday, not Thursday. So hopefully you can excuse my initial confusion.” He flashed a friendly grin in her direction before his attention was yanked away by a blonde guy, who seemed to be rivaling Liorah in the who-can-have-more-fun-before-we-all-die! contest.

“Normal is subjective!” the blondie hollered. “What’s normal to a spider is chaos to a fly!”

Zanar was just trying to work out the meaning of that when, unable to control the direction of his floating body, he bumped into the wall. Copying the others, he braced his feet against it and pushed off, flipping and spinning. He grinned as he thought how much Luminar would’ve loved this. And with that, his smile instantly melted off his lips and might as well have puddled onto the floor.

Luminar. Why, why, did Zanar ever insist on exploring the rain drainage sewers? He wished he hadn’t spun away from the wall because his fist was itching to punch something. Drawing a deep breath so the others wouldn’t see his facial turmoil, he decided to respond to Blondie, who was gleefully jumping off walls.

“Wait–I assuming that means I’m the fly….so who’s the spider in this situation?” Zanar twisted around until he faced Blondie.

~Author Unknown

Jasmine
    @jasmine

As Joelle Stone said, yep, same Zanar!

Yep, same Zanar!! (Poor guy, he didn’t deserve the ice cream. XD)

I was part of that story for a bit, I exited to write with some of the characters again! It’s like getting to see a friend you haven’t seen for a wile.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Oh thank you! I actually did cry a little while writing that. And I love Liorah threatening to strangle Lord Castle by its intestines and her whole attitude during the entire thing, she’s such a fun character to read about!

Yep, Liorah is pure chaos! I honestly adore that about her XD It’s really weird that I find Liorah so easy to write. We’re basically polar opposites XD I’m more like my other MC, Faye, who spends half her time immensely confused but too afraid to ask anyone, and the other half panicking or falling over her own feet. (I’m not kidding, she’s tripped four times in the first two chapters, once losing her shoe in the mud and having to retrieve it barefoot. That has never happened to me. Nope. Never.) Honestly, I’ve never written two more contrasting characters. I was amazed they got along XD Though Faye’s still a little scared of Liorah. XD

@mischievous-thwapling

Hehehe…well, yes, I’ve learned to take sassy-ness and Liorah as one and the same (in an awesome, Liorah’s-so-makes-me-laugh way).

LOL, she makes me laugh too XD I just love writing all that sass. My writing is just a place to use all those awesome comebacks I come up with five years after the opportunity has passed.

who seemed to be rivaling Liorah in the who-can-have-more-fun-before-we-all-die! contest.

That made me laugh so much! XD

@joelle-stone

Popping in to say that life is a little busy right now, and IDK when I’ll get a chance to post anything other than quick “How’de do”s here and there. Still reading, though!!

Bye, Joelle! Hope you can come back soon!

Liorah

“Actually,” The new boy said, “I do this every Monday, not Thursday. So hopefully you can excuse my initial confusion.”

I nodded, understandingly. This was quite a feat since I was literally upside down and having trouble flipping around. My braid slapped my face after it had floated upwards. I shoved it aside.

“I know, who even decided to split up the days of the week? It’s way too confusing,” I said. I wasn’t quite sure if I was genuinely expressing an opinion or making fun of him. Probably both. But I was definitely making fun of him too.

“Normal is subjective!” Ehud hollered. “What’s normal to a spider is chaos to a fly!”

“Wait–I assuming that means I’m the fly….so who’s the spider in this situation?”

“Lord Castle,” I said, wrathfully driving my heel into the ceiling. This had the unfortunate side-effect of propelling me downward. I barely managed to shove back up before I bumped my head against the floor.

“That’s what we’re calling whatever’s behind all these traps. I’ve decided I’m going to strangle it with its own intestines, wires, or whatever. Want to help?”

“Li’ah, I’d appreciate it if you turned right-side-up. It’s making me kind of nervous to see you floating around upside down,” Gavril said,

“You’re no fun,” I said, playfully.

“Perhaps not, but I can’t help but imagine what might happen if all this–” He waved at everything around us “Suddenly stopped and you fell and broke your neck.”

With a loud sigh, I turned until my feet were below me again.

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Klein watched the drones. He remembered how they were programed. Right now they were attempting to contact someone from the ship’s security team. Until that contact was made, the bots would simply keep guns on them. If any of this group however pulled a weapon, the drones would switch to kill mode.

Right now they wouldn’t have to worry about that. The others were not use to being without gravity and were more concerned with regaining some form of control. While they bickered, he could formulate a plan.

Reaching back, Klein pulled a grenade from his pack. There was a stack of crates sitting against a bulkhead. If he could blast them into the air, the lack of gravity would turn them into floating cover. Remembering the lessons on zero g warfare, Klein pulled the pin with his thumb and threw it.

“Frag out!”

Ducking behind the console, he drew his rifle. This would be easy. As the bomb went off, Klein jumped to one of the crates. Magnetizing to it, he looked over the edge. The drones were on the move. Taking aim, he sent a round into one of the droids. Spinning from the impact, it bounced off the deck and regained control. The other three quickly turned toward him and returned fire.

Sliding back behind the crate, Klein extended his wrist camera. Two of the drones and the damaged one were laying down suppressive fire. The fourth was moving up to try and flank his position. Rifle rounds didn’t cause enough damage to drones. Which is why he had his shotgun.

As a spotter he had to not only find the target for the sniper, he also had to help protect him should they be found. Such encounters were often too close for one to properly aim his rifle. A shotgun had no such problem. As the war had begun, the Spiders had been shown to be somewhat surprised by the existence of shotguns and they proved effective in fighting a person with four arms.

The drone popped into view just like a clay pigeon. The blast ripped the machine apart sending parts floating across the hanger. Jumping to the wreckage, he sent a second spread of buckshot at the other three. To make things more difficult, he kicked the wreck at them as well. Firing the jetpack, he steadied himself and hide behind another crate. One drone was left. It was out of range for the shotgun.

For now. Jumping to another crate, Klein hit it hard. This caused it to drift toward the remaining bot. Detecting the danger, the machine concentrated its fire on the left corner, turning the crate. Going along with the change, Klein began to run with the spinning. Suddenly stopping, he let the inertia bring the drone into his sights.

With that the battle was over. No more than thirty seconds had passed. Leaping back to the console, Klein looked at the control tabs again. He couldn’t have a repeat of that again.

“Anyone know what this says?”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“what’s normal to the spider is chaos to the fly!” Words of wisdom from Ehud! Is that a paradox? XD

Lol, I actually just like read that on a pin on Pinterest XD.

CAAATTHHHYYYY!!! *as soon as you pull away, bowls you over with a hug of my own* It’s so good to see–or talk?–to you again!

Yay I love you!

like Joelle said, I love how you just drop those little pearls of wisdom into your writing. How do you do that?!)

I really haven’t the foggiest idea. Thanks, I guess it’s just something God’s given me. I love your dragon btw! (And how for Zanar Ehud is now Blondie lol)

“We’re getting down right now.” Rosario said through gritted teeth, the whites of her eyes expanding with every aerial jostle. The collar of his jacket bunched so tightly in her hands he tried to stop floating and stared at her, concerned. Was Rosy afraid of heights? No, she’d never been uncomfortable with it befor…
    “Wait–I assuming that means I’m the fly…so who’s the spider in this situation?” Ehud didn’t register the question for a couple seconds, still hung up on Rosario’s inexplicable anxiety.
    “Lord Castle,” Liorah answered for him. “That’s what we’re calling whatever’s behind all these traps. I’ve decided I’m going to strangle it with its own intestines, wires, or whatever. Want to help?” Ehud laughed, leaning back into the thin air enough that he yanked Rosario over him. Which made him flap frantically and apologize ten times over.
    “It’s fine it’s fine!”
    “Are you ok?” He asked in a small voice and she glared at him. “Ok, not ok.”
    “Frag out!” With that there was an explosion on the distant ground floor. “Anyone know what this says?”
    “What’s he got down there?” Ehud asked
    “How should I know?” Rosario snapped, surprising Ehud who tried to duck between his shoulders; a particularly awkward movement in zero-g.
    “Are you ok?” He asked without thinking. But she looked away for a long pause, the two of them dangling in the air like a revolving flywheel, the pink ribbon in her hair fluttering out around her black-brown curls.
    “I’m sorry.” She says so quietly he almost missed it. Ehud blinked, and blinked again, fumbling to process. There was a vulnerability in her voice she’d never allowed to leak out before.
    It was gone in a second though as the control tabs blinked angry red lights. She sighed.
    “Well, come on ragazzo, someone has to fix this mess.” she said “How do we get down?”
    “Wait…wai…sor-sorry for…?” Ehud stammered but Rosario either was not listening anymore or was willfully not listening anymore, mumbling something about trajectory and distance.

“Rope.” She said finally. After a moment for it to register as a request, Ehud scrambled through his pockets to retrieve his paracord and he handed it to her. She nodded and tested it’s strength a little. “Wire and a slingshot?”
    Ehud searched his jacket pockets.
    “I have some wire…I could…probably make a slingshot?” he said “What’s the plan?”
    He didn’t actually expect an answer, she usually tried to exclude him from the process as if even talking about it was detrimental to his health. But without looking up she replied, slower than normal.
    “I’m going to try and bend the wire into a hook. In zero gravity speed and velocity remain constant so the force of a slingshot propelling the hook may possibly be enough to latch something floorlevel and pull down.”

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Lol, I actually just like read that on a pin on Pinterest XD.

LOL, that’s the best place to find stuff like that XD. I once thought up a line I was super proud of “I’d rather die on my feet than live on my knees.” Later, I was scrolling through Pinterest (Probably procrastinating) and I found that exact same quote. And here I thought I was being original XD

Gavril (About time too, Liorah’s been taking the spotlight)

I clamped onto the railing, trying to keep myself as near the floor as possible. With a sigh, Liorah turned herself right side up. The vision of her plummeting to the metal floor vanished.

“Frag out!” Klein shouted. I stiffened. What did that mean?

An instant later, an explosion rang through the room, making the floor quiver. Liorah yelped, flinching. My heart skipped several beats. Was she hurt? Had she gotten hit by the fragments of wood drifting around. She was barely out of reach. I let go of the railing, then pulled her close. She felt light as a feather.

“Stay low. Are you hurt?” I asked. My voice sounded much calmer than I’d expected. A bang shuddered through the room.

Liorah shook her head, cowering again. The room exploded in a rattle of bangs. I gripped the railing with one hand and Liorah with the other. I couldn’t let her drift away now.

Within half a minute, it was over and the room was frighteningly quiet again.

“It’s okay. That was it.” I said, quietly.

“Anyone know what this says?” Klein asked.

I didn’t answer. The chances that I knew were slim. If Acyn had been here, he would have been able to decipher the language, whether he knew it or not. But languages weren’t my strong point.

Liorah relaxed.

“I wasn’t scared,” she said, confident again.

“Sure, you never are,” I said, sarcastically.

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest