fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 969 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

Ha ha, actually, she’s not even in my story yet (soon, very soon). I love her so much I’m starting to think I need a side-book fully from her POV.   Honestly, though, she fits better here in the castle than in VaSerBo at the moment. XD

Riure totally deserves her own book!

Gavril

“I’m sorry, but I believe it’s best if I stay. I know where my assurance lies, and he won’t fail me. I don’t seek to escape death.” Riure said, her voice strong and clear. She clutched the scruff of her dog’s neck, her small hand disappearing in the thick black and white fur.

“Riure-” I began. I couldn’t let her go with the knowledge that I might have stopped her.

“No, Prince Gavril. I can’t let someone else who doesn’t know or who has rejected the Redeemer die. I… it’s happened before, and I am still haunted by that.”

She looked in my direction.

“You asked me to pray. I did, and this was my answer.”

I let out a long breath. My eyes were burning and I blinked the tears out of my eyes. I was crying and I didn’t care. It was the only thing I couldn’t argue with.

After a long silence, I finally said,

“I can’t stop you. You’re right,” My voice sounded hoarse and I cleared my throat.

Liorah had gone quiet and stiff. I pulled her into a hug and it almost hurt. I knew it was the last one. It was our last few moments together.

I knew the Lehabim blessing by heart, I’d heard it hundreds, if not thousands, of times. It felt familiar, hopeful, and strong. It made me feel a little stronger for saying it.

“May the blessing of Elohim be upon you, and upon all your descendants. May they be as numerous as the sands of the western deserts, may your reputation of righteousness reach across the northern seas, may safety and peace follow you to the east, and may He give you the strength to stand as the southern mountains. May you be a light to the nations around us, and may Elohim be with you in your darkest hour,” I whispered to Liorah, in Lehabim.

She gave a little shudder and clung to me tighter. I couldn’t bring myself to push her away.

I collected myself and raised my voice as I said,

“Gavril, Klein, Gwendolyn, Dancrow, and… Riure,” my voice broke on the last name. Out of all of us, why did she have to stay?

The castle trembled, responding to the list of names. Slowly, slowly, the door at the far side swung open, revealing another platform with a spiraling staircase on the other side. Who was going to help Liorah up it? I hoped someone would remember.

The other four trickled out. I disentangled myself from Li’ah and pushed her toward the door.

“Go on, I’ll be waiting for you,” I said, trying to sound hopeful. I only sounded scared.

She shot a look back, her golden eyes full of regret and pain. She would be alright. She was braver than she knew.

“Wait, you forgot your boots,” I said, holding them out.

I’d never thought about my last words to my sister, honestly, what sane person did? But I hadn’t expected them to be about boots, of all things. It was rather a letdown, but I could live with it. Or die with it, rather.

Liorah took them and limped outside. The door slammed shut behind her, with a detached, final sound. I winced. The light went out and we drowned in the darkness.

I reached out and took Riure’s hand. Mine was hot and clammy, but hers had gone ice cold.

A block of stone, like a loose wall, thudded down on the far side of the room. Dancrow leaped back, barely dodging it. It slowly moved toward us. A shudder ran up my spine and scorching fear burned through me. So this was how we were going to die, crushed to death by a wall. It was the worst of all my fears combined.

Riure made some small noise, reminding me of her.

“What’s going on? What was that?”

I strongly considered lying to her. What was the greater commandment here, ‘treat others as you would like to be treated’ or ‘do not bear false witness ‘? I settled for a compromise.

“A wall fell down. Everyone’s alright.” That was hardly comforting, but it was the best I could do for now.

The wall slowly closed in, pushing us closer to the far door. I pulled Riure backward with me. The quiet grating of the stone was far too quiet for the horrible death coming closer to us. Somehow, it felt insufficient.

“Can I tell you a secret?” I whispered to Riure. I needed to distract her. I’d much rather die trying to help her than die while giving in to my fear. I tried to keep my voice even, but it wasn’t much use.

“I’m scared of the dark. Silly, I know,” I whispered. She was the first person I’d ever confessed that to. Liorah and my family knew, because, well, they were my family.

I closed my eyes, trying to control the terror twisting inside me. Was this what it was like for Riure? Was this what it was like to be blind? For a second, I was afraid that I’d never be able to see again.

The far wall pressed into my back, too soon. The moving wall was so close I could reach out and touch it. There was a shallow niche in the wall in front of the door and I guided Riure there. It might buy her a few seconds, it might save her. Who knew? I wouldn’t survive long enough to find out.

Death was right in front of me, practically pinning me to the wall. My breath came in short gasps. Death was so close. All I could think of was all the things I would never do.

I’d never see my family again. Or my friends, Abidan, Ferran. I would never tell Keturah I loved her. I hadn’t been sure of it before, but I was now when it was too late. I wouldn’t see Kinneret, my mare, again. I would never go on early morning rides with Liorah again, or midnight rides when we’d sneak out, saddle our horses, and gallop under the stars. I wouldn’t be able to embarrass Liorah the first time a boy asked her out. There were so many things I would never do, they overwhelmed me.

The stone finally reached us and I felt the rough red rock. I gave the door a desperate shove, but it didn’t move.

I closed my eyes. I was scared. Would it hurt, when the wall finally crushed me? Of course, it would. I was numb with fear. I breathed a quiet prayer.

It was over. But it had been worth it. I was dying for the right thing.

The door sprang open and Riure and I, who were closest to the door, fell outside. I hit the hard rock, a sharp pain shooting through my shoulder as it absorbed the impact.

The others stumbled after us, just as the wall struck the other with a shuddering impact.

We were alive. It was a miracle. I breathed a prayer of thanksgiving, though I was still quivering with fear.

Liorah spun around. They were all here, we were all here, and we were all alright.

I scrambled to my feet and Liorah collided with me, almost knocking me over again.

“It’s alright, I’m okay, we’re all okay, it’s fine,” I wasn’t making any sense, but I was still reeling from the near-death experience.

Liorah drew in a long, shuddering breath, then spun around and glared at one of the castle walls.

“What was that all about!? You idiotic pile of bricks, what made you think that was a good idea?! I swear I’ll strangle you with your own intestines!!” She shouted,

I was laughing, almost hysterically. It was so terribly real, and it was so good to be alive.

Liorah limped toward the railing, entirely forgetting her fear of heights. I pulled her backward by her collar, afraid she’d forget herself in her anger. She was well beyond livid.

“Li’ah, it’s a castle. It doesn’t have intestines,” I said,

Liorah wasn’t interested in logic, she glared at the castle, more than ready to carry out her threat, if at all possible.

I must admit I stretched out the ‘deaths’ a bit for drama XD It was awfully fun to write though! I shouldn’t be saying that about a scene where one of my characters almost dies, but well, it was fun.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

A huff of air, then complete silence. Sadiq leaned against Riure’s leg.

“I can’t stop you,” Prince Gavril finally said. His voice was hoarse and pained. “You’re right.” He cleared his throat.

A moment later fabric folded and words were whispered in another language. Riure clenched Sadiq’s ruff.

Sadiq.

The only person the dog had remotely been unhostile towards was the prince, and he was staying behind, noble soul that he was. Sadiq clearly disliked Ehud and Master Ziess, wherever he was, and she tended to be aggressive. Perhaps…

“Rosario?” Riure asked. “Will you take Sadiq for me? She doesn’t deserve this.”

Someone stepped closer, but Riure couldn’t tell if it was Rosario or not. “Go, Sadiq,” she murmured, kneeling by her dog and stroking her fondly. “Go with Rosario.”

Sadiq’s tongue slobbered on her hand, and Riure forced sudden tears away. Would they meet again?

Please, Adanyi, say it is so!

“Go,” Riure repeated, even as Prince Gavril raised his voice and began to call out names.

“Gavril, Klein, Gwendolyn, Dancrow, and…” He paused, then his voice broke as he said, “Riure.”

The ground trembled, and as Sadiq left Riure’s sides at her mistress’ insistent bidding and shoves, even a harsh word, Riure regretted it. She felt… unstable, vulnerable, without her faithful guide.

Footsteps led towards the door, Sadiq’s hesitantly clicking toenails going with them. Suddenly they paused, and she growled loudly, erupting in a bark. She knew what was happeing.

“Sadiq!” Riure scolded, though it rent her heart as if with a sharp sword. “Go!”

“Go on, I’ll be waiting for you,” the prince was saying. His voice was taunt with fear. “Wait, you forgot your boots.”

So he was speaking to Liorah. Was she truly leaving?

Judging from the limping footsteps, yes.

KABOOM

This time when the door slammed Riure didn’t start nearly as violently, but it sounded so final she couldn’t help the fear that suddenly flooded her body. Where peace and laughter had pushed it away, it now streamed in with ten times the force. She shuddered involuntarily. Cold sweat chilled her bare arms.

A hand wrapped around hers, warm and clammy with nervousness. Riure squeezed it, clenching her other in her skirt. So this was the first taste of death. So be it.

Sadiq was whining, then barking, then throwing herself against what must be the door at the other end of the room. Riure’s heart broke. I’m sorry. I wish I could explain.

Despite her attempts at brave thoughts, Riure had to labor to keep from vomiting her terror all over the floor and whatever feet were there. Kening keep me, she prayed frantically, her thoughts turning into a panicked cycle. Give me peace. I don’t want to die. I’m so scared. What will it feel like? Help me, Adanyi. Oh no, Riure, don’t cry! Not now!

Too late. Tears streamed down her cheeks and wet the front of her dress. She barely stifled a hiccup, sure her uncontrollably shaking hand was enough of a clue to the prince that she was absolutely terror-stricken.

The words of a song Lytt had taught her floated through her memory, and somehow repeating the words to herself, sad as they were, comforted her.

To these memories I will hold

With your blessing I will go

To turn at last to paths that lead home

And though where the road then takes me

I cannot tell

We came all this way

But now comes the day

To bid you farewell

I bid you all a very fond farewell*

Something thudded on the other side of the room, followed by a yelp and lighter thud. Riure jumped and loosed a scared noise, wondering if someone had already died. Who? Was she next? Oh, Adanyi!!

Words were spewing out of her mouth, and she hardly heard herself speak. “What’s going on? What was that?”

“A wall fell down. Everyone’s alright.” Prince Gavril’s words were off-handed, but his grip on her hand revealed his true fear.

Something grated on stone, and the prince pulled Riure back. “Can I tell you a secret?” he whispered. “I’m scared of the dark. Silly, I know.”

Riure tried to speak, but her vocal chords had gone on strike. When she tried a second time, her voice sounded much too young and much too frightened for her liking. “Darkness hides many dangers. I should know.” She forced a laugh, but it fell dead to the floor.

Scrape, scrape, scrape.

What was approaching them? Riure had thought Lord Castle had said they were going to fall to their death. If this was a fall it sure didn’t feel powerful enough to kill them.

Riure closed her eyes, as if the action were enough to save her. It didn’t matter; she couldn’t see anyway, but it allowed her to turn her thoughts inward.

Step back, step back, step back.

Scrape, scrape, scraaaaape.

Would this torture never end?

Suddenly the prince halted, and Riure with him. Her breath raked her throat as her heart burned with its adrenaline-fueled pounding. Hands guided her backward, and Riure felt maybe three inches of stone on either side of her, with a solid wall behind. The prince had pushed her into a niche. The fact that he had thought of her even in this situation made her smile. Perhaps selflessness was existent even in the face of death.

Death.

Riure hadn’t understood it until now. She felt hunted. Death had been a vague term that she’d understood, even feared once upon a time. But this, with its cold jaws only minutes, nay, seconds away, Riure felt the terror afresh.

What was she, anyway? What had she done to make her memory fond? She was going to die. Her death was here. Goodbye world, goodbye Sadiq, Lytt, Maer, Daer she’d searched for and never found.

Would he ever see the light as I have?

With her fingers pressing the stone behind her as if she could simply shove it away, Riure realized something for the first time, and that thing was so delightful, so perfect, so exciting she cried and laughed at the same time.

After more then nine years of utter darkness, the first thing that she would see would be her Redeemer’s face, and his smile.

Yes, Riure thought, and her smile would not be beaten back by her fear. It is worth it.

I bit you all a very fond farewell.

The stone finally reached us and I felt the rough red rock. I gave the door a desperate shove, but it didn’t move.

Suddenly she was falling, and the thought flashed through her mind even as her back collided with solid stone that Lord Castle was going to kill them by falling after all. But then something forced her to the ground, and the sweet smell of Sadiq’s fur enveloped Riure’s face just before a wet nose covered it in slime.

“Sadiq!” Riure squealed, and threw her arms around her dog, laughing for all she was worth. She was alive!

“It’s alright, I’m okay, we’re all okay, it’s fine,” Prince Gavril was saying.

“What was that all about!?” Riure laughed harder. Liorah. “You idiotic pile of bricks, what made you think that was a good idea?! I swear I’ll strangle you with your own intestines!!”

Now Prince Gavril was laughing, hearty and true. Riure thought her sides would burst. Water poured from her eyes.

“Li’ah, it’s a castle. It doesn’t have intestines,” Prince Gavril finally managed.

Riure didn’t care if it had intestines or not. She was alive.

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@rose-colored-fancy,

I must admit I stretched out the ‘deaths’ a bit for drama XD It was awfully fun to write though! I shouldn’t be saying that about a scene where one of my characters almost dies, but well, it was fun.

IKR! I’ve never written a death-scene before, so this was a completely new experience and great practice!

BTW, that post was amazing, especially this part: “I’d never thought about my last words to my sister, honestly, what sane person did? But I hadn’t expected them to be about boots, of all things. It was rather a letdown, but I could live with it. Or die with it, rather.”

As an over-enthusiastic boot-adorer, that was AWESOME. A touch of humor in just the right spot. 🙂

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Those where so good! They had my totally engrossed and…*takes a giant ball of tissues from the quickly emptying box*. I almost felt as if we where about to kill of a bunch of characters even though I knew we wouldn’t.

Gwendolyn

“I’m sorry,” Riure said, “but I believe it’s best if I stay. I know where my assurance lies, and he won’t fail me. I don’t seek to escape death.”

“Riure.” Gavril and I spoke at the same time and where both interrupted by Riure,

“No, Prince Gavril. I can’t let someone else who doesn’t know or who has rejected the Redeemer die. I… it’s happened before, and I am still haunted by that. You asked me to pray. I did, and this was my answer ”

“I can’t stop you. You’re right,” Gavril said.

I walked to the other side of the room and put my hand to my face, unable to hold back the tears any longer. I couldn’t let anything happen to Riure. I would force her out that door if I had to.

“Gavril,” Gavril started the list of names, “Klein, Gwendolyn, Dancrow, and… ” he paused, pain in his eyes. I tried to tell him not to do it, but my voice caught in my throat, “Riure,”

The door swung open, the others went out, and the door slammed shut, leaving us in darkness. The wall gave a loud bang.

My breath came in gasps and my heart felt as if it would beat out of my chest as the full weight of death settled over my mind. I would never see my family again, I would never see a sunrise or the glowing red of a sunset. nothing. No war, no pain, no death.

I will have you, Maker. And that will be enough.

I stop shaking.

That will be enough.

“What’s going on? What was that?” gasped Riure.

My eyes snap open. Riure. The one who I most wanted to protect.

“A wall fell down. Everyone’s alright.” Gavril answered.

No, the wall was moving. Towards us. We would be crushed.

I sprang forward and slammed into the wall, boots scraping against the stone floor. I wouldn’t let this happen. I would never go down without a fight. I would see the Maker soon enough, but there was still more to do in First Place.

I shove against the unyielding  wall as hard as I can. “Help me Maker.”

The wall doesn’t stop. I won’t stop. I will never stop until they are safe. All of them.

The heel of my boot brushes the opposite wall when the door flings open. Barely registering what was happening, I follow the last person out into light and life.

I collapse against the wall, shaking in relief, exhaustion, and quickly fading fear. We’re safe. All of us.

“What was that all about!? You idiotic pile of bricks, what made you think that was a good idea?! I swear I’ll strangle you with your own intestines!!” Liorah shouted.

“Li’ah,” Gavril said, “it’s a castle. It doesn’t have intestines,”

I laughed, my mind finally registering that we where safe. I stood up on shaky legs and whispered, “Thank you Maker.”

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

“Gavril, Klein, Gwendolyn, Dancrow, and… Riure.” said an Oriental man.

Klein realized that one of the volunteers was a kid. Before he could intervene, the ground shook. Too late. The system had acknowledged them. All they could do was hope.

Klein watched as the group gave their good byes. They were a tight knit unit. Breaking up would hurt them. He understood the feeling. He had seen some of his friends die. Kelpies were tough but not immortal. Klein knew death was a very real possibility for him. But he would not back down for fear of it. God would call him when his time came. Until that moment, Klein would do all he could.

The volunteers began to walk forward. Klein followed. Behind them, a wall dropped cutting them off from the others. There was still a door on their side. Klein tensed. It might be an airlock or there might be enemies on the other side.

Behind him, a rumbling began. The wall was moving toward them. Klein was split. The wall was an obvious threat but the door was a possible. If he committed to dealing with one, he might not be able to react fast enough to the other. Klein hated to gamble and the odds were 50/50. Groaning, Klein started pushing against the wall. It was stupid but he didn’t have anything else.

Is this how he would die? He had see death so many times. Kurtz was the first. The dropship was hit and he had just vanished in the blast. He never knew what hit him. Klein had seen it in his eyes. Satine was next. A squad mate and medic. She had fought her injuries to treat the others. Klein had never even knew he had been hit until she had collapsed. Satine had died in his arms. She was scared in the moment she passed. Would Klein be scared too?

He wasn’t dead yet, he didn’t need to panic yet. The wall had pushed him to the far side. He could brace himself better. Klein pushed as hard as he could. The wall began to creak. Not enough. His arms began to burn. His suit began to hiss too. Not yet. He still had time left.

What have I got in my pocket? He remembered the lesson. Everyone had made a guess and got it wrong. It wasn’t an item for everyone had it in their pocket.

An alarm began chirping in his ear. The armor was overheating. Klein was running out of time. He could see his friends’ faces. Ghosts of people long gone. Would he see them on the other side? Well, he would find out soon.

Then the door opened. A chance! Continuing to push on the wall, Klein slid toward the opening. He let the others escape first. Then he sprang out. Clanging onto the ground, Klein looked at the ceiling. The alarm was still chirping in his ear. Yet another close call.

“It’s alright, I’m okay, we’re all okay, it’s fine.” said a woman.

It was one of the volunteers. The others were here too. Some sick person had given them quite a scare.

“You idiotic pile of bricks, what made you think that was a good idea?! I swear I’ll strangle you with your own intestines!!”

Quite a threat that Klein agreed with.

“Li’ah, it’s a castle. It doesn’t have intestines.”

“It’s got wires. Those might count as intestines of a form.” chirped Klein.

The alarm was still ringing. Klein had enough of that. Twisting the helmet, he removed it from his head. Rolling over, he got to his feet. Klein looked over the people in front of him. They were so short compared to him. They looked back at him too and he looked at the floor. He hoped they didn’t mind his eyes. He was human, but his eyes looked more like a great cat’s now. it was just another sign of how he was different.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

*Stifled sobbing* Oh. My. Goodness, that was so amazing! It felt so real I was genuinely scared for her. Her thoughts felt so real and genuine, it was magnificent! You’re so amazing at emotional scenes, I just get dragged along by Riure’s narration, and her thoughts feel so real and make me love her even more. I was smiling so much when Sadiq was the first to greet her and she was laughing! That was so adorable!

BTW, that post was amazing, especially this part: “I’d never thought about my last words to my sister, honestly, what sane person did? But I hadn’t expected them to be about boots, of all things. It was rather a letdown, but I could live with it. Or die with it, rather.”

As an over-enthusiastic boot-adorer, that was AWESOME. A touch of humor in just the right spot.

Thank you so much! I adore boots too XD And that was kind of Gavril’s sense of humor. I never notice his sense of humor before, but it’s kind of fun! He’s not as snarky as Liorah. (nobody is, she’s the queen of sass XD)

@jasmine

Those where so good! They had my totally engrossed and…*takes a giant ball of tissues from the quickly emptying box*. I almost felt as if we where about to kill of a bunch of characters even though I knew we wouldn’t.

Thank you so much, Jasmine! Your post was awesome, I loved how Gwen was trying to stop the wall.

@everyone

So, who’s taking the next trap? Does anyone have any ideas? Can’t wait to see what y’all come up with!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

@rose-colored-fancy

I got a trap. A hanger deck and zero g during a drone battle. Just to mess with Klein a bit more.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Nice “death” scenes @rusted-knight and @jasmine!! And I like the next trap idea. 😀

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Oh, whoops. The * in my post was supposed to remind me to put that those lyrics are from The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd. Heh heh. 🙂

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@rose-colored-fancy,

*Stifled sobbing* Oh. My. Goodness, that was so amazing! It felt so real I was genuinely scared for her. Her thoughts felt so real and genuine, it was magnificent! You’re so amazing at emotional scenes, I just get dragged along by Riure’s narration, and her thoughts feel so real and make me love her even more.

Aw, thx so much!! I’ve gotta say that I enjoy writing emotional scenes. 🙂 You are too, BTW… 🙂

I adore boots too XD

YAY!! I make SO MANY comments during movies about the characters’ boots that my siblings get so annoyed and tell me to be quiet (BTW, “hold your waffle” is becoming quite the saying around my house. That and “release the waffle!” XD). I’m very picky. Thranduil’s boots from the Hobbit are pretty swag, as are Legolas’ and Tauriel’s. Aragorn’s from LOTR are okay… Ahem, nvm. 😛

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

Aw, thx so much!! I’ve gotta say that I enjoy writing emotional scenes.   You are too, BTW…

You’re welcome and thank you so much!

Thranduil’s boots from the Hobbit are pretty swag, as are Legolas’ and Tauriel’s. Aragorn’s from LOTR are okay… Ahem, nvm.

*Looks them up*

Thranduil’s are really cool! Ooh, Tauriel’s are AWESOME! I want those!! They’re my favorites, definitely! The tooling on the side and the cuff are lovely!

BTW, “hold your waffle” is becoming quite the saying around my house. That and “release the waffle!” XD

That’s hilarious! I’ve been successful LOL!

@rusted-knight

Ooh! Good idea! Liorah will HATE that! Gavril too, but Liorah will be much more verbal about it XD I can’t wait!

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ni de cona, they can’t just sell their lives away. No reason or rhyme, our captor won’t take his end te guste o no. I keep hold of Ehud I know what he’ll do next, asi he’ll volunteer next if he’s not convinced I have a plan. I don’t. Perdoname, Dios mio, I don’t. I can feel heat through his shoulders, hot sweat trickling through his hair, para ya there has to be an out. I have to protect him it’s my job.
    “Rosy?” His sweet little head tilts up to me, those eyes too confident far too sure of me. “We’re gonna make it out? You can…I mean…y’know if we’re gonna make it out.” No. We’re not. Some reason my mind flips back to the dog the blind girl has, it getting injured. No logical reason to surrender your life here, it’s not going to save anyone, it’s not and we all know it.
    ‘Just because something isn’t logical it doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense, Rosy.’
    “Rosy..?”
    “Hold this.” I tell him handing the lighter, the one he adjusted for me per supuesto. Que mas da? It’s doesn’t matter anymore, si? Scribble a note on a crinkled paper in my pocket, since when did my hand shake. It’s a job, a job. A note.
    “What’s that?”
    “Insurance.” I told him, I felt nothing, steady. I felt nada. But my hands shook. Why? “If things go down you read this, carino.”
    “What is it?” He fumbled with the paper and I couldn’t look at his eyes. Olvidalo, no me importa, que mas da? What does it matter? Why do they keep sacrificing themselves? It won’t change a thing…
    “You won’t read it unless things go down, yes? Carino.” Eyes so big they made you want to laugh. Vaya. Que mas da, it’s all the same in the end, que mas da? I can’t feel, I don’t have feelings, I…feel the fabric of his jacket, torn layers, some damp and hot. He’s so thin, thinner than me, when he wears short sleeves you can almost see his bones. And pale, overcast eyes. Too small too helpless too pure to die.
    “I will do this,” That blind girl said with a kneeknocking sort of laugh “I fear no death.” And that is the last. I slap the note on his chest and turn around, this I must do alone then. Not with him at least. Since when do my hands shake. Eso es nada. Que mas da? What’s it matter? This is not rational, no comprehende.
    “Rosario?” The little blind girl, why is she talking to me? “Will you take Sadiq for me? She doesn’t deserve this.”
    I know I was shaking my head but it was distant, like echoes. Esta nada. She was pleading with her dog, as if that was supposed to be importa, like crying when the dog was injured. Makes no sense, nada.
    “Gavril, Klein, Gwendolyn, Dancrow, and…Riure.”
    “Rosy…” Ehud squeezed into my arms “I’m scared.” One wall grits an ear-ripping shudder as it wrenches down to reveal a door. I won’t take chances with him, nada.
    “Go. Right now.” I push him to the door and he stared up at me disbelievingly. I could see it in his eyes, it finally dawned on him that the note was my last words. I’m not going. As soon I get him through I can drag the blind girl out as well, Ehud can take care of her. That Gavril might respect her decision but I’m a practical person and she is far too underage to make that choice for herself.
    “N-no,” His voice cracked. “I’m not going, you can’t make me! I’m not going I’m not going!
    He fought my grip harder than he ever had before but I wasn’t giving in. He deserved much better than me, and he was young enough, vibrant enough, he’d recover. He might always miss me but he’d recover.
    “You can’t make me! Please!” Ehud grabbed the rails, clinging so hard I had to pry his fingers off to get him to move. Only ever so often did he ever actually sob hysterically, but now he breath comes in and out in sharp gasps sharp enough no se lo how he could be breathing. “Rosy!”

The door slams, but I can still hear him pounding. Just need to get Riure out, then it’ll all be over. For some reason I can’t move from the door. My head hurt, my eyes hurt. Que mas da?
    “Te adoro, Ehudita.” I could hear the rasp in my own inaudible voice, maybe even a fog in my eye no se lo. “Quiero andar contigo.” (I want to date you.)

You can’t leave me!” Ehud sobbed banging on the door until his knuckles felt raw, then he kicked it. All his energy wrenched out of him with hiccupy gasps. Finally he sank into a ball curled into the door trembling with sobs. In the end everyone left him. His mother, his father, his brother tried but he didn’t have time for Ehud. Rosy couldn’t be dead. People faded out of his life so quickly. He never told her everything he wanted to tell her, he forgot to thank her for staying with him. Years and years, the first time he’d ever had time to build trust with someone, he still hadn’t confided half as much as he wanted to her.
    And it took only a second, for it to all be gone again.
    Then somebody fell on him as the door knocked him back. Ehud tumbled over into Riure, jolting up as fast as he could.
    “What was that all about!? You idiotic pile of bricks, what made you think that was a good idea?! I swear I’ll strangle you with your own intestines!!”
    “Li’ah, it’s a castle. It doesn’t have intestines.”
    “It’s got wires. Those might count as intestines of a form.”
    Ehud stared blankly at everyone, rubbing his blurry eyes and blinking. For once he couldn’t think of a single thing to say.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Klein didn’t like the eyes looking at him. He had never been the center of attention. Seeking shelter, Klein put the helmet back on. The alarm had stopped now. The suit’s systems were back to normal. Everyone was still looking at him. He had to shift attention away from himself.

“I’ll get the door.”

Drawing his gun, Klein walked to the door. Whipping it open, he swept the immediate area. It was clear. Stepping into the room, he heard a clank rather than a thump. The floor was metal instead of stone. A railing sprouted out of the ground in front of him.

“What is this place?”

Lights flickered on. It was a hanger. Finally something from home. The front was crumpled from an impact. If this was the Castel, it must have warped into an asteroid. Merging with the rock would cause the difference that he had observed. How everyone on board had not died would be a question for another time.

There was a console. Walking to it, Klein tapped a button. the screen lit up.

“Yes.”

He would be able to find inventory and from there be able to formulate a plan. Then the text appeared. Spanish. He couldn’t read it.

“Come on.”

Klein hit the console. A red bubble appeared on the screen. Klein began to feel weightless. He disabled the artificial gravity. Quickly magnetizing to the floor, Klein started guessing what the tabs said.

“Hey, What’s going on?!”

“Working on it!” yelled Klein.

He was trained to work in zero g but no one else did. The sooner the gravity turned back on, the less panic would appear.

“Don’t flail your arms. It only makes it worse.”

Tapping a potential fix, Klein waited. Another bubble flashed on the screen. The gravity did not turn on. What had happened? Klein got the answer when four security quadjets flew out of of one of the bays.

“Intruder! Intruder!”

This was not his day.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

“N-no,” His voice cracked. “I’m not going, you can’t make me! I’m not going I’m not going!”
    He fought my grip harder than he ever had before but I wasn’t giving in. He deserved much better than me, and he was young enough, vibrant enough, he’d recover. He might always miss me but he’d recover.
    “You can’t make me! Please!” Ehud grabbed the rails, clinging so hard I had to pry his fingers off to get him to move. Only ever so often did he ever actually sob hysterically, but now he breath comes in and out in sharp gasps sharp enough no se lo how he could be breathing. “Rosy!”

Oooohhh! That physically hurt me, *More sobbing*

“Te adoro, Ehudita.” I could hear the rasp in my own inaudible voice, maybe even a fog in my eye no se lo. “Quiero andar contigo.” (I want to date you.)

When I read this the first time, I literally squealed. Out loud. I love it!!!

It might just be me, but is she mixing in more Spanish now she’s upset? It works really well as an indicator that she’s upset, it makes her thoughts seem more frantic and disorganized. I like it!

That entire post was brilliant! I love it!!

Liorah

I was still seething at the castle. My head throbbed with a combination of relief, anger, and adrenaline. It was a deep, throbbing ache, settled deep. It would take hours to go away, I knew from experience.

Gavril was laughing, of all things. I didn’t know whether to yell at him for being stupid enough to stay in the first place or to hug him because I was so deliriously happy he was alright.

My knees were shaking and I was grateful that there was a railing nearby. I grabbed it, trying to steady myself. I took a deep breath, then another. I let my fingers trail over the knots in the tassels. One, two, three, four, five. 

Gavril laid a hand on my arm.

“It’s alright now,” he said,

“Idiot,” I huffed,

Gavril smiled.

“Love you too.”

I relaxed and tried to smile, but it felt horribly fake. I wouldn’t have to live without him. He was here. I could relax.

Exhaustion dragged at me, but I didn’t give in to it. We had to keep moving. As the castle had just proved, nowhere was safe.

“It’s got wires. Those might count as intestines of a form,” Ruby five said. I still didn’t know his name. Or wait… Klein. It had been the only name I couldn’t place in Gavril’s list of people who would stay behind.

Ehud looked around, distraught. He was crying, like most of us. Riure was on the ground, her dog slobbering her with happy kisses. Gwen was dazed, but apparently alright. Everyone seemed to be accounted for.

Klein took off his helmet, quieting the flashing red light. His eyes were an odd color, even brighter gold than mine. They reminded me faintly of a desert lion’s. Seemingly embarrassed, he looked down, then put on his helmet again.

“I don’t care if it’s wires, intestines, or well-organized goats,” I said, savagely. “I’m going to rip it out and strangle either this castle or if that proves impossible, every sadistic idiot who ever had the misfortune of being in any way involved with it.”

“I’ll get the door,” Klein said. He drew his weapon and stepped inside. An ominous clank replaced the sound of his footstep. Curious, I trailed in after him. Gavril sighed, exaggeratedly, then followed, hand hovering near his sword.

Lights flickered on. It was a large room, the walls and floor smoother than the rest. One side was crumpled. Whatever had caused that, I wanted to stay as far away from it as possible.

“What is this place?” I asked, not even expecting an answer. More likely than not, nobody knew.

Judging by the loud clank of Gavril’s boots, it was metal. The others trickled in after us, their footsteps rattling on the metal. My steps were muffled, and I remembered I was still clutching my scuffed boots in one hand.

Klein was muttering to himself, working on a panel. He quickly became frustrated and banged against the panel. I grinned. That was a familiar feeling. I was glad there was someone else with a lower-than-usual tolerance for frustration.

I bent over, pulling on one boot. The floor seemed to shift beneath me, and my organs felt as though they were somehow drifting upward. It felt rather like falling upward. It was easily the oddest sensation I’d ever experienced.

“What in the eternal–?” I promptly fell over my own feet and they slid out from under me. I braced myself, expecting to sprawl on the floor gracelessly. Instead, I just… floated, not hitting the ground.

“Hey, what’s going on?” Gavril asked, his voice laced with panic. I tried to turn around, only to find myself lost in air that seemed lighter than usual. My other boot had drifted out of my grasp, and I grabbed at it, only to have it drift further away.

“Working on it!” Klein yelled.

“Well, that’s comforting. I certainly feel a lot better now,” I yelled back, frustrated. I had no idea what was going on, but I did know that I was unable to move as usual, so it would be impossible to defend myself in case of another attack. If the castle decided to send anything against us, we’d be defenseless.

“Don’t flail your arms. It only makes it worse,” Klein said.

“Worse? Worse!? All we need is something to get worse! We’re pretty much on the far end of the spectrum of awfulness, and I don’t believe worse is something we should even imagine,” I said, sarcastically.

My foot brushed against the ground and I scrabbled for a foothold. It had the opposite effect, and I drifted upward. That gave me an idea. If I could do that once, I could do it again. Perhaps that meant I could steer, somehow. I waited until I’d floated close to the ceiling, then pushed off so I drifted back towards the others. That seemed to work. I breathed out, trying to calm down.

I had far more urgent matters to attend to. My boot, for example. I grabbed hold of the railing so I could spin around. Gavril had done the same, but he was gripping the rail with white-knuckled intensity. I spotted my stray boot drifting some way off and pushed off toward it.

I soared upward, weightless. A giggle bubbled out. This probably wasn’t supposed to be this fun. I grabbed the boot and twirled around, returning to Gavril. He was glaring at me as though he thought I had about the same intelligence as the average shrub. I grinned.

“Intruder! Intruder!” A metallic voice blared.

My good mood evaporated.

“You have got to be kidding!” Gavril said, through gritted teeth.

“I just got word the spectrum of awfulness has expanded to allow for more possibilities,” I said, gloomily.

Umm…. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that. I didn’t expect Liorah to be floating around happily, chasing after a boot and joking about the awfulness of the situation. She keeps surprising me XD

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Umm…. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that. I didn’t expect Liorah to be floating around happily, chasing after a boot and joking about the awfulness of the situation. She keeps surprising me XD

Ha ha! It’s funny how your own characters can surprise you. That happens to me to.

Thank you so much, Jasmine! Your post was awesome, I loved how Gwen was trying to stop the wall.

Thanks! I really couldn’t picture Gwendolyn going down without a fight. Actually, if everyone would have been on the other side of the door she probably would have just let it happen, but since she wasn’t the only one in danger, she felt the need to protect.

I think I was explaining that to myself as much as you, LOL.

@everyone; right now I’m just laughing at how emotional that last scene was. That was great.

GWENDOLYN:

I started, as if waking from a dream, realizing that everyone had headed into the next room. I muffled the inward feeling of uneasiness and followed. As soon as I was through the door I felt myself  suddenly lighten, as if I weighed less than a feather. My feet drifted away from the floor, “Wait!” I yelled at the floor, sticking my legs out to touch the ground again. My boots hit the ground and sent me flying up and my head crashed into the ceiling. I shouted again, clutching my head.  I looked down at the ground and tried to controls my movements.

It was kind of like being under water so I tried swimming.  was not very good at swimming unfortunately, but I would try anyway. I flailed my arms and legs, trying to swim towards the rail, but all that happened was I started to spin in place uncontrollably.

“Working on it!” Klein Shouted,“Don’t flail your arms. It only makes it worse,”

“To late!” I yelled.

“Worse? Worse!?” Liorah shouted, “All we need is something to get worse! We’re pretty much on the far end of the spectrum of awfulness, and I don’t believe worse is something we should even imagine,”

I tried to control my spinning but I seemed to be going faster, so I stopped moving and just let myself slow to a stop. Upside down. I was afraid to move, lest I start it all over again so I just hung there. Liorah floated past me with a giggle and shoved of another wall.

I looked at my boots and gingerly gave a small shove against the ceiling. I floated gently towards the floor and stretched my hand out to grab it. There was nothing to hold onto though, so I started drifting randomly around the room, still upside down, trying to grab something to stop my awkward flight.

“Intruder! Intruder!” A metallic voice blared.

“You have got to be kidding!” Gavril said.

“I just got word the spectrum of awfulness has expanded to allow for more possibilities,” Liorah said.

I shouted in frustration and tried to get right side up again, sending myself flipping out of control again.

“TURN IT OFF!” I roared at Klein.

That was so fun! Oh, Gwendolyn’s never going to forgive me.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 969 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest