fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

• This topic has 1,021 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by Cathy.
Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,018 total)
  • Author
    Allie_LittleWolf
    @littlewolf

Hello 🙂 sorry for the interruption. I was just wandering if it would be a good idea to start another character castle. I’m interested in joining but it looks like a lot to read to catch up… or is it? What do y’all think?

You have to be brave to be an artist -Jennifer Trafton

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

@littlewolf

Yeah. A third Castle is needed. Both are currently booked.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Liorah

The gate slammed shut, blocking the monsters. I sighed, relieved. At least that was done and my leg didn’t hurt for nothing.

“I’m sorry. That was my fault … I’m sorry.” Bow-girl whispered,

My fingers halted on the bandage and I frowned. It wasn’t! Well, not exactly anyway.

“Yes,” The authoritative girl said, “Yes, it is.”

I glared at her. That wasn’t fair! Bow-girl had nearly died while keeping the gate open.

“It was fortunate you broke it before Ehud did and for that I am grateful. Now I need you to attend to the wounded.” She smiled, and I relaxed. That was a valid point. If she hadn’t broken it, Ehud would have, and if he hadn’t, I would have. I would have broken it before Ehud, actually. I shouldn’t have suggested it in the first place.

I focused on untying the bandage. I unwrapped it slowly, every movement hurting worse than the last. Pulling the bandage from the wounds was too painful and I had to pause, blinking the tears of pain from my eyes.

Bow-girl came up to me, the cuts on the side of her face still bleeding and her arm in a sling. I nodded. I respected her bravery in guarding the gate. She had been there first and left last, and had even gone out to rescue the others.

She knelt, producing a few strips of her black cloak.

“I know how to do a basic wrap, and I can help you. But it’s going to hurt. Do you want me to redo your leg?” She asked,

I smiled wanly.

“Go ahead, I’d appreciate it. I can’t steel myself to go on,” I said, with a half-hearted chuckle. “Thank you for shooting that beast on top of me. I couldn’t have managed it on my own.”

I held out a hand.

“I’m Liorah. I can’t keep calling you Bow-girl. What’s your name?”

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Liorah smiled, “Go ahead, I’d appreciate it. I can’t steel myself to go on,” I said, with a half-hearted chuckle. “Thank you for shooting that beast on top of me. I couldn’t have managed it on my own.”

She held out her hand, “I’m Liorah. I can’t keep calling you Bow-girl. What’s your name?”

Gwendolyn almost laughed but settled for a painful smile.

“bow-girl”? That’s awsome.

“My name is Gwendolyn, but you can call me Gwen if you want.” She shook her hand.

Then gingerly pulled her own arm out of the sling and paused a moment to remember the lesson on healing she had attended in training.

She tied two strips together and set to work,  using a separate strip to wipe the blood of Liorah’s leg as gently as she could.

“Are you from around here, Liorah?” She asked trying to distract her from the pain, ” I’m from Fillimere. ” she winced inwardly. What if Liorah was from Themyscira? They would technically be enemies, but right now Gwendolyn couldn’t care less.

She finished cleaning the wound best she could and started to do the wrap, carefully finding the balance between tight enough so it wouldn’t fold or come of, and loose enough so that it wasn’t painfully tight.

“How did you get here?” Gwendolyn asked, hoping she wasn’t being to pushy.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by Jasmine.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Allen leaned against the wall. They were free. The monsters were gone, locked out by the wall. Tilting his head forward, he sighed. Now came the tough part.

“How many casualties do we have?”

He feared the answer. From what he had seen, they were hit bad.

“Six. I think.”

About half of them. Not good. If the castle wished, a second attack could finish them all off. Hopefully luck would hold and they could rest up before the next surprise. Standing, Allen took a shaky step forward. His whole body ached. He needed to train more, force his body to except the fact that he was a soldier.

Flitting from one ledge to another, Allen jumped up to Rilyn’s shoulder. The wound in her neck looked bad at first. Probing carefully, Allen let out a sigh of relief. While the size of the wound was great, its depth was not. Arteries and other vitals seemed to have been missed. The punchers were clean cuts with little tearing. This was something he could heal.

Reaching out with magic, Allen focused. Pull the skin out of the tear and level it. Imagen the skin on both sides reaching out and closing the gap. Relink the cells and let it rest. Opening his eyes, Allen looked over his work. Not the best job, a few pinholes here and there but much better than before. It would work for now. This was the limit of his skill. If anyone else had worse injuries, they would have to turn toward more usual means.

Looking around, Allen saw Riure kneeling next to her dog, Sadiq. It was alive, barely. Everyone looked rough. Ehud had a pink something glowing in a dull but calming light.

“Ehud, use your light and check everyone for injuries. We need to know exactly who is injured. After we patch ourselves up, lets rest before the castle throws another surprise at us.”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

“Is he here?” Riure asked.

“Well,” Rosario said, and Riure wasn’t sure she liked her tone. “He’s either right here, or he’s about to be.”

Oh no, Riure thought. What did I do? She laughed a little, the sound feeling natural even though it hurt her throat.

“You there,” Rosario shouted. “The girl wants to talk to you.”

There was a pause, but Riure couldn’t tell if the man was walking over or not. There were too many footsteps.

After some silence, Rosario spoke again. “Thank you – for helping the girl. It was very effective and well-thought, senor.”

There was a shuffling, then Riure felt Rosario’s hair as she slid in by them. It had a very odd feeling, almost as if it were springy. Interesting.

“I’m sorry. That was my fault … I’m sorry,” someone – the girl who had protected Riure – said, her voice shaky.

“Yes,” Rosario said coldly. “Yes it is.” Ehud made a small noise and reached across Riure to Rosairo. Riure giggled, ducking under his arm to feel Sadiq’s head. “It was fortunate you broke before Ehud did and for that I am grateful,” Rosario continued in exactly the same tone. Ehud’s arm withdrew. “Now I need you to attend to the wounded.”

Riure smiled and drew Sadiq’s head onto her lap. The dog whined softly, and her heart shuddered. I really hope this works, she thought.

Opening Sadiq’s mouth was the easy part, but pouring a bit of the medicine in without spilling it was more difficult. For one, Riure had to use her hands to figure out where Sadiq’s mouth was, and what angle it was at, and whether she should put her fingers in to open the feature wider. In the end, she managed to get what she considered a good amount into Sadiq, then sat back and waited.

“Ehud,” someone said. Riure’s heart leapt. Master Ziess! He’d made it out alive! “Use your light and check everyone for injuries. We need to know exactly who is injured. After we patch ourselves up, lets rest before the castle throws another surprise at us.”’

Ehud had a light? That was cool, although it didn’t help Riure much.

And then Sadiq moved. Her breathing was more regular, and with excitement Riure felt for the wound. It was still there, a bad gash, but no longer bleeding. Hooray for the Mysterious Benefactor! (Wingiby: I’m not sure what Wylo’s medicine does for dogs, so I just guessed. :))

A warm tongue found its way to Riure’s hand, gently licking her once or twice. Sadiq! Riure couldn’t do anything but laugh, and laugh, and laugh with relief. She tried to be quiet, but sometimes it got a little loud and was hard to stop. Sadiq’s alive! she wanted to shout. I don’t have to be alone!

Oh. Her laughter ceased. Master Ziess had mentioned other wounded.

Riure stroked the side of the glass bottle with her thumb. Perhaps… would Mysterious Benefactor mind?

“Master Ziess!” Riure called. “I have medicine! I think we can use it?” It came out as a question, and she desperately hoped that if Mysterious Benefactor wanted to save it he’d say something. Otherwise, she’d just given away something that wasn’t hers. Whoops.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by Joelle Stone.

"For love is strong as death." -God

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Btw, I love how different Ehud’s and Rosario’s reactions are to an injured Sadiq!

Haha, yeah! It’s just another thing that makes Ehud and Rosario just so fun together!

But Rosario did love Ehud, she did love him romantically, she just didn’t get those…feelings.

Oooh!! I just remembered about this! They’re adorable together! I love it!

Of all obstinate humans, Rosario thought it as if it were an oath. With a monstrous, whinnying laugh she scared off several of the beasts so Rosario decided to leave her to her stubbornness for the moment filing it away as something to be aware of when giving orders.

Honestly, I love the way all the characters are reacting to Liorah XD. I love how Ehud is just like: “Princess Dramatic!!” and Rosario is exactly the opposite. “She’s obstinate and stubborn and I’m not going to forget about this.” I love it! Liorah and Rosario may end up having conflict, but I’d say Liorah respects Rosario at this point, even if she doesn’t know her that well.

Aw thanks! I love reading about Liorah she’d just so snarky 😀 !

Is Webtoon like Wattpad? (I don’t read anything on Wattpad, since there’s a lot of non-christian stuff, but I use it to share my story with a friend who’s giving comments. )

Well pretty much except it’s for comic stripes, I’m working on character sketches tho 🙂

I must admit, I had an immediate vision of how Ehud would write a plot. It involves random notes scrawled on everything from a paper napkin to pink wrapping paper and everything in-between. XD

How dare you describe my plotting method so accurately! (except I used like five notebooks and random scraps of paper and wrote in pen over my pencil notes and all that’s crammed in the drawer beside my computer which has like six or seven different files for one story not even counting the sketches…aaaand my closet . Ok ok and the cubby beside my bed (do I seriously have that much paper spluttered across the room??))
    And yes you will be the first person to know when start publishing!

I love that! And I love that Ehud called her Rosy, that’s so cute!

Truth be told, it’s because he can’t remember how to pronounce her name :P. *Ehud; That’s not true!!! Me; … Ehud; … me; … Ehud; bangs head on desk in protest*

Like Darth Vader — don’t let me get started, but he is one of my most favorite characters in Star Wars and — Back to topic:

Waitwait wait. Allow me to “let you get started” and why is Darth Vader your favorite character in Star Wars?

Ok this doesn’t have anything to do with anything but anybody know how to escape a dungeon with a monster at the door of the cell with a strong man and a somewhat autistic girl and there’s also a window? I’m asking for a character XD

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

(Ooh, just a side note, I remember someone once saying that Sadiq’s fur was brown with a question mark like this (?) at the end. I’m pretty sure that meant “Ahem, Joelle, is that right?” so I’m going to say no. Her fur is whitish grey with patches/speckles of black. 🙂 But no biggy.)

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@this-is-not-an-alien,

A dungeon. With a monster at the door. A window. An autistic girl. A strong man. Interesting predicament. 🙂

Are both the girl and the man in prison? Are they the ones that need escaping? Does the window have bars? Is the monster brains, brawn, or both (ooh, accidental alliteration, I love those!)?

A few random may or may-not work ideas (in list form, of course):

1. Someone creates a distraction for the monster, then they escape out of the door and run/fight the monster.
    2. Communicate to the rest of the prison and get all the prisoners to work together (something that happened in my book).
    3. Assuming the window is barred, and assuming said “strong man” is needing to get out, have the strong man break/bend/cut the bars, then they can escape that way.
    4. Have them find a loose stone/floor board/brick and find something useful inside (i.e. a secret passage, a sword and/or gun, poison, etc.).
    5. If the monster is smart, have them make friends with it or trick it or something.
    6. Probably the most cliché idea, but have someone else be in the cell with them/in the next cell who can help.

🙂 Hope that helps!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Joelle Stone.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Joelle Stone.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Yes, yes it is. It was fortunate you broke it before Ehud did and for that I am grateful. Now I need you to attend to the wounded.” Ehud opened his mouth to say something, thought better of it and instead would have banged his head on whatever was available if he wasn’t still holding Riure. Gently he released her and bobbed behind Rosario noiselessly squeezing her hand. She glanced back at him.
    “What?”
    “You actually…I think you were trying to say you weren’t mad at her…?”
    “It wouldn’t be productive to be angry, would it? It was very likely someone would make an error by now.” Rosario clarified examining Ehud quizzically. “I gave her a job, doesn’t that indicate I still assume she’s competent?”
    “Uh yes, but actually no…I think what you’re trying to say is more along the lines of…” he faded off trying to formulate the words in a way she’d understand.
    “Well I’m not going to flatter her if that’s what you mean, carino. I compliment people I hate.” she said “She’s her own independent person and she doesn’t need my approval.”
    Rosario had a persona where she charmed her enemies and acted more expressive than she was. And she had a part of her that locked all her emotions inside and kept to the job. There was no in between. So Rosario let out a breath weighing his case and trying to come up with a solution.
    “You know I can’t do those…I don’t have that thing that makes people like you, Ehud.” She smiled dryly and dropped her hand on his shoulder. “I can almost promise you there’s not a single person here that likes me…well except maybe you, idiota.”
    “That’s because people can’t see what you’re feeling or thinking,” he said earnestly “if they just saw you the way I–”
    “Ehud, use your light and check everyone for injuries.” Interjected a voice startling Ehud almost out of his skin. “We need to know exactly who is injured. After we patch ourselves up, lets rest before the castle throws another surprise at us.”
    “Oh,” He glanced quickly at Rosario for confirmation. “Ok.”
    He nearly darted off but Rosario suddenly grabbed his hand and he froze. She smiled quietly for a second before letting go of his hand and he stared at her. But she brushed off the mood.
    “You better get to it, ragazzo.” she said “Vamenos.”
    With a quick nod Ehud turned pink and started counting outloud as he bumped into injured people. This really wasn’t enough light, he’d have to jimmy something up soon (without burning them alive which was a definite possibility if he got started). Finally he caught Bow Girl helping Princess Liorah Dramatic out.
    “–you get here?”
    “That was really brave,” Ehud blurted to them “getting the last of us here I mean, you saved a bunch of us back there”

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Aw thanks! I love reading about Liorah she’s just so snarky!

Thank you! IKR!

How dare you describe my plotting method so accurately! (except I used like five notebooks and random scraps of paper and wrote in pen over my pencil notes and all that’s crammed in the drawer beside my computer which has like six or seven different files for one story not even counting the sketches…aaaand my closet . Ok ok and the cubby beside my bed (do I seriously have that much paper spluttered across the room??))
    And yes you will be the first person to know when start publishing!

XD!! Well, as long as it works, anything goes! Yes, totally tell me! I need to know more about Ehud and Rosario!

*Ehud; That’s not true!!! Me; … Ehud; … me; … Ehud; bangs head on desk in protest*

Haha, I’m glad I’m not the only one who argues with their characters. That’s hilarious!

@joelle-stone

Ooh, just a side note, I remember someone once saying that Sadiq’s fur was brown with a question mark like this (?) at the end. I’m pretty sure that meant “Ahem, Joelle, is that right?” so I’m going to say no. Her fur is whitish grey with patches/speckles of black.   But no biggy.

Yep, that was me, and that is what I meant! Thanks for telling me, now I can describe accurately! I’m guessing everything, so tell me if I make a mistake!

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Princess Liorah

The girl smiled.

“My name is Gwendolyn, but you can call me Gwen if you want.”

She took my hand, then pulled her arm out of the sling and started cleaning the wounds.

I dug my fingernails into my palms, trying to distract myself from the burning as she wiped off the blood. This was fine, this wasn’t so bad. This wasn’t nearly as bad as the time when I was ten and I’d broken my ankle while riding my horse. I couldn’t keep from smiling. Gavril and I had been practicing switching horses without dismounting. It was beyond my skill, but I had insisted he teach me. He wasn’t an expert himself, and an accident had been inevitable. Gavril had felt terribly guilty about that. It had been partially his fault. More mine, but still. I smiled wryly at the terrible scolding we’d gotten. We’d probably deserved it for being reckless.

An especially sharp pain jerked me out of my daydream. I couldn’t help wincing.

“Are you from around here, Liorah?” Gwen asked, “I’m from Fillimere.”

I frowned. The name was entirely unfamiliar.

“I have no idea where I am now, so I can’t tell you how close we are, but I’m from Yerasht. I’m a Lehabim,” I said. It was important to clear that up. The Lehabim were one of the seven tribes of Yerasht, and though there had been peace for ten years, I still didn’t want to be confused with some of the other tribes. The Kezbes came to mind. They’d started the last war, but my father had won it.

“I can’t say I’ve ever heard of Fillimere,” I admitted.

“Ehud,” someone said.  “Use your light and check everyone for injuries. We need to know exactly who is injured. After we patch ourselves up, let’s rest before the castle throws another surprise at us.”

I saw Ehud’s pale light darting back and forth, occasionally eliciting cries of pain. I gave a tight smile. That was apparently his method of seeing if someone was wounded. If you bumped into them, did they say ouch?

Gwen finished cleaning the wound and I took a quick glance at it. Long gashes clawed down half my calf, where the creature’s claws had scratched me. A deeper, larger wound was where the first had bitten me. I was glad to see that the bleeding had slowed and the wounds probably didn’t need stitches. That would have hurt even worse.

Gwen began wrapping it in the bandage, trying to be gentle.

“How did you get here?” Gwendolyn asked,

I gave a short chuckle.

“A poor decision, as usual. I was out riding with my mare and saw a cave. Perhaps just stumbling into it wasn’t the wisest thing I’ve ever done. And you?”

I was interrupted by a happy laugh. Peal after peal of it echoed through the cave. The blind girl, she was the only one who could laugh like that. I was glad to hear she was alright.

She stopped abruptly, then called,

“Master Ziess! I have medicine! I think we can use it?”

As Gwen finished off, I slumped against the wall of the cave. I hadn’t realized that I’d been straining against the pain. It was better now. It still hurt, but it was manageable.

“Thank you, that helped a lot,” I said,

Ehud bumbled toward us, almost tripping over me. I tried to pull back, but my leg protested and I abandoned the action.

“That was really brave,” Ehud blurted, “getting the last of us here I mean, you saved a bunch of us back there.”

I frowned. I hadn’t done anything to speak of! It had all been Gwendolyn, I’d just covered her back. Anyway, my collapsing hadn’t exactly helped, I’d just made things harder for everyone.

“I agree, it was quite courageous of you, Gwendolyn.” I tried not to let my tone get stiff and formal like it usually did when I felt uncomfortable.

I took a quick glance around the new room. It looked quite similar to the first, with the exception that more than half of us were more or less wounded. That was an important distinction.

I bit my lip. If the castle were to attack us again, I would be of no use. I tried to take in who was wounded worst. Gwen’s shoulder was bad, too bad for her to fight. The girl-dragon had been wounded, Silver-suit was limping badly, and Kiark still hadn’t woken. What I could see of him in the dim light didn’t look good. Blood trickled over his pale face and he was hardly moving.

“Ehud,” I asked, concern tight in my voice. “Could you try to see if Kiark is alright? But please,” I shot him an earnest glance, “be careful, he looks pretty badly hurt.”

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@joelle-stone
    Ah right! They are both in prison and I forgot to add with the shy smart guy too who’s supposed to come up with their escape plan. Lol the monster is brawn but it’s…a long story (twenty-two chapters currently). The window is barred but I figure the like you suggested in number 3 :). 1. Distraction; I can work with that once I find a plausible distraction that either won’t alert the guard or will be too chaotic to matter (is leaning toward the latter). Number 2 can’t work cos there’s a plague going through but tell me more about your book there *insert puppy eyes here*! Ah I know exactly how to use number 4 now, thanks!
    Those ideas are great thanks a bunch!

“I agree,” Princess Liorah said in response with the stiff look he’d seen on Rosario when he accidentally pushed her out of her comfort zone and/or complimented her on something she took as routine. “it was quite courageous of you, Gwendolyn.”
    Glancing between them, Ehud jutted his chin obstinately. That compliment was meant for both of them and she knew it. And Liorah disregarding that was not going about fly with him. All the same she looked worried and he was just about to ask about it when she spoke.
    “Ehud, could you try to see if Kiark is alright? But please, be careful, he looks pretty badly hurt.” She gave him such an earnest look Ehud fought an instinct to stare at his sneakers as if she were his fifth grade teacher after he had blown up the science room (apparently there were a couple chemicals that really didn’t mix well).
    “Ok,” he said, then paused to give her the most forbiddingly stubborn stare before shouting in a tone that dared her to object “I thought you were brave, Liorah!”
    With that he scampered after wherever Kiark was, just then thinking he might should’ve called her Princess Liorah or something or other. But maybe she wouldn’t really mind. At the same time he unwillingly rehearsed he’d said to Rosario in his head. He decided it wasn’t fair to her. Of course he knew she cared he just wanted everyone else to know she really did care. And this was beginning to sound like another guilt trip in the making and it was stupid because he knew Rosario wasn’t even mad at him.
    Even with Princess Dramatic’s somewhat reproachful ‘be careful’, Ehud narrowly avoided tripping over Kiark.
    “Woak!” With another yelp he barely righted himself inches away from bumping into Kiark. Shining his pink light in front of him, Ehud bent down and nudged him as gently as he nudged baby birds that fell hard to see if they were still alive or conscious.
    “Mr…Prince Kiark?” he said softly, fidgeting nervously over him. His mind went back to the last time he saw Kiark up and moving and that was when he’d gotten grilled fantastically by Liorah after…whatever had gone between him and Rosario. “Sorry I laughed at you…I didn’t mean to, honest!”
    Even with the pink hue of his light Ehud could tell Kiark’s face was pallid, he wasn’t sure if Kiark could hear him so he blinked a lot hovering over him

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

oh also MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@littlewolf

I just joined the forum and I’d love to join a new Character Castle!

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,018 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest