fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 2,146 through 2,160 (of 2,830 total)
  • Author
    E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

That’s my goal, Inkhorn. I’ve been having trouble with before-character-arc-Jade. Rosemary has been easier and gives me great quote snippets. 😂

@rose-colored-fancy

Ophelia and Calliope sound awesome! That was a good explanation of their characters. Ophelia and Jade interacting could get really interesting. Jade has a grudging respect toward other ballerinas as good as her (she’ll never admit any are better. She’s the most narcissistic and sarcastic protagonist I’ve ever had on my hands. Calliope will have prey.), but for inept ballerinas it’s just, “Get out of my way!” Thankfully Rosemary balances her out because Jade always stands up for her.

So that no one is confused by references to “Benevolents,” I’ll explain: they are the less than benevolent leaders in the world Jade and Rosemary come from.

We are called to be lights in the cosmos.
    May your inkwells never run dry!

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Avin

He looked away, suddenly unaware that the girls were still talking to him.

There was a man leaning against the wall ten feet away. His posture seemed relaxed, but Avin knew the tension behind that relaxation. This man was ready for anything. Unconsciously, Avin straightened, detaching himself further from the girls with every muscle of his body, but never moving an inch.

The man was hidden in the shadows, and the two women hadn’t noticed him yet. He was almost hidden, but Avin’s keen eyes could see him clearly. He looked the man up and down. He was used to this. Used to dark places and uneven terrain. Used to the uncertainty and fear that seemed to radiate from off the walls of this place.

So was Avin.

The man had weapons: even though Avin couldn’t see them, he knew they were there. He had training: who else could meld so perfectly with the shadows, come as quietly as a hare through the broken glass and rubble at their feet?

Avin wondered if his senses had grown so rusty that the man had stood there for a long time, unnoticed. He was long-limbed and well built. A woman would call him handsome. His hands were at his side, apparently at ease. But they were ready to catch hold of something–a knife, or a dagger maybe.

In a quick flash Avin wondered if there were other weapons in this country, that Vegada knew nothing about.

The girls still hadn’t noticed him.

He was well built, but not a hulk of a man. Someone used to going quickly and quietly.

Suddenly he moved. Avin tensed. Rosemary’s voice died, and Jade stared at him with a look across between fear and a frown.

“Not from around here, are ye?” The man’s mouth tilted upward slightly. “Welcome aboard. I’m afraid you will not be having a pleasant stay here.”

He stood straight, and in that little movement his face came into view. Certainly, he was handsome. Elsa [his wife] would have said so. she would have said his hair was black as midnight, his face well-set, his mouth expressive, his eyes the like starlight.

But Avin only noticed the eyes. They held something else than a light like stars; behind them was the curtain Avin had used since he was a boy, a veil to spread over the pain, to keep people from hurting him again. The iron wall, impenetrable. Avin’s fists clenched involuntarily.

The man’s face was laced with scars. His own seemed to burn as memories flashed through his mind. Memories he had thought to have buried forever.

Before he could look away, the man met his gaze and held them.

~~

@irishcelticredflowercrown
    okay you’re right. THIS. WILL. BE. AWESOME!

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

“Jade Nightingale,” she replied, glaring at his bold, proud gaze.

Suddenly another form emerged from the shadows, and with the tail of her eye Jade caught it leaning against the wall. She turned toward the fellow, who cocked his head just like Rosemary sometimes would, but there was no absentminded contemplation in his look, only coolness and despair.

”Not from around here, are ye?” he asked, sneering. “Welcome aboard. I’m afraid you will not be having a pleasant stay here.”

Jade sneered back. “Like I expected one. Nowhere pleasant even exists, unless it’s the place you left.”

Rosemary abandoned her preoccupation with unobtainable experiments to look at Jade in horror. She said, “Um, no, we’re not from here. But anywhere’s got to be better than Benevola Haven, right?” She glanced between Avin and the other guy. “What’s your name, anyway?”

He snorted. “The name’s Lorcan, or it was when it mattered.”

“What, does this place issue numbers? I’d swear we’ve been Culled except for that chandelier,” said Jade.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@e-n-leonard you catch on fast. That was a great post! Jade Nightengale is a beautiful name–also, she is going to be fabulous in here. 🙂

Isn’t it funny how any time Lorcan comes close the whole room suddenly focuses it’s attention on him?

@anyone

Don’t remember if I mentioned that Avin has a few trigger subjects: he was in prison once (falsely accused), he is an orphan and the orphanage was about the worst you can imagine +10, he is half Colondite and there is racist sentiment in his country about Colondites. (Nobody knows except his wife), and he was born a peasant and led a really hard life.

I’m also gonna introduce my bonnie lad, Alaric. He’s from a WIP I hope to start writing soon

Name: Alaric, Prince of Reantare (Ray-an-TAR)

Appearance: Medium-tall, perhaps 6’1/2″ (1.8 meters and 1.27 cm–I have no idea how you all measure people across the pond. If this is a hilarious format…well, laugh hard. XD)

Raven black hair, cut Quiff style. Black eyes to match. A smooth, pale complexion and a semi-chiseled face. Altogether rather handsome, and not extremely descriptive.

Personality: Um, I’m still figuring it out. His Briggs-Meyer came up as and ESTJ-A, but I’m not sure I answered the quiz true to his character. He’s extroverted, but has been a recluse lately, which causes some problems, naturally. His one goal in life is to rule Reantare well, and he pours all his energy into the mental/physical preparation, but forgets that being a king requires personal traits such as compassion, etc. He has 3 friends whom he has been sadly neglecting lately (they’ll probably trickle in as I start to write).

Side Quirks: The Kingdom of Reantare is under a sort of curse/prophecy thingy, that if anyone kills someone else, that person will immediately die and Reantare will collapse. So Alaric is against bloodshed possibly to the point of paranoia. (you can read all about Alaric’s story in the General Writing Discussions forum, in the topic Brainstorming, Anyone? if you want to learn more.)

And in he goes!

Neasa

@e-n-leonard

Eeee loved how you made Lorcan introduce himself! So sarcastic and emotionally detached – so accurate!

@emily-waldorf

Oh you are so right this will be FUNNN! I’m so hyper just thinking about this heehee

AAAGH what the heck how is your chapter so goood! You described Lorcan perfectly! EEK! I could barely contain myself while reading it XD. Its just so him!! Thank you for that Emily😆

But Avin only noticed the eyes. They held something else than a light like stars; behind them was the curtain Avin had used since he was a boy, a veil to spread over the pain, to keep people from hurting him again. The iron wall, impenetrable. Avin’s fists clenched involuntarily.

THIS DESCRIPTION🤩😱 *chefs kiss*

Isn’t it funny how any time Lorcan comes close the whole room suddenly focuses it’s attention on him?

YES! He just has that THING you know! That thing! That thing guys, you know what I mean!

Yeah? You know!

*awkward silence. crickets chirp*

Lorcan: *clears his throat* I think what Neasa here is trying to say is that I am irresistible because I am handsome and mysterious. And totally unstoppable.

Me: *glares at him* You’re getting far too big for your boots you big bozo, you know that?

Lorcan: *smiles* And what are you going to do about it? I ‘command attention’ remember? People love me on first sight. What are you going to do get rid of me?

Me: I might just do that if you don’t lose some of that attitude!

Lorcan: *smirks at me knowingly* you do realise I will be the fan favourite? I am going to be the sole reason people will care about your stories.

Me: …… thats not true!

Lorcan: Oh really? Then get rid of me. Chuck me in the bin.

Me: ……. *clears throat in an attempt to his my embarrassment* Whatever! Just – shut up. Go back to – commanding attention.

Lorcan: Oh believe me. I will.

Me: *mutters under breath* This isn’t over you little punk.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Neasa.
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Yes! and you’re absolutely welcome for that, Neasa. I have a haunch Avin and Lorcan might be more similar then they seem.

YES! He just has that THING you know! That thing! That thing guys, you know what I mean! Yeah? You know! *awkward silence. crickets chirp*

Girlio, I laughed. Literally laughed aloud. DO YOU KNOW HOW SELDOM I DO THAT AT MEDIA?

Also…Lorcan must be an ingratiating person to keep around…not to mention dangerous. 😀

Neasa

@emily-waldorf

Yes! and you’re absolutely welcome for that, Neasa. I have a haunch Avin and Lorcan might be more similar then they seem.

Well. They’re both mysterious manly men who like fighting with blades. They got a lot in common already!! XD

HEEHEE I’m glad I wrote a bit of something to giggle at😅

Oh believe me THIS GUY has the audacity to distract me – while I AM AT WORK! Yes you heard me. When I am trying to concentrate on making coffees he’s just in the corner demanding this and that! As if he wasn’t spoilt enough already. Unbelievable!

Lorcan: She is being panifully dramatic. Please don’t listen to her.

Me: *practically screams* WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?

Lorcan: I want you to lose your job so you can dedicate more time to me.

Me: *flops to the floor in despair* I give up…

Lorcan: *glares down at me* Get a hold of yourself woman. You do realise you made me up? Its your own fault I’m distracting you.

Me: *hisses threateningly* You continue treating me like this, and I will make sure you will NEVER get a wife. EVER!

Silence.

Lorcan: *smirks* A wife?

Me: Uh oh.

Lorcan: How interesting. Drop what you’re doing right now. It seems we need to have much to talk about.

Me: *Smacks my head repeatedly against the floor*

Lorcan: Now now, there’s no need to act like that, we are responsible adults after all.

Me: *screams* RESPONSIBLE ADULTS?! Don’t make me kill you off, you ungrateful son of a-

Lorcan: *smirks* Ah—ah-ah, what did we discuss? Bad language is verry bad Neasa. Very bad. Yes?

See what I mean? Exhausting😪 *sob* I barely have time for myself these days😭

Neasa

@emily-waldorf

and oh yes he is dangerous all right. That man is going to have me killed one of these days. The things he gets up to *shaking my head in despair and disapproval*

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@irishcelticredflowercrown your coworkers must look at you pretty funny when you’re smacking your head on the floor, apparently at nobody. XD That man has a self complex that will not quit. That’s why he and Liorah get along so famously.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@calidris, I forgot to tag you! IDK if you still come to this castle, but here’s the tag, with my compliments!

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

@emily-waldorf  Thanks! She was so kind as to tell me her first name. It took me a while to figure out her last name, but it turned out perfect, satisfying picky me. 😂

Good to know that about Avin. Thankfully Jade is not the sort to poke at those things since she’s pretty much “the bottom of the barrel” in her world, excepting her dance skills.

Alaric sounds interesting. Can’t wait to meet him! *Jade huffs. “You mean watch him meet his doom in here.” * It’s awesome that you did Myers-Briggs for him! I do that for all my characters (Jade is INTJ, and Rosemary is INTP like me).

Jade sensed the mutual sarcasm XD. He seems like the sort of person Jade will argue with a lot and kind of despise, but never really hate and actually almost respect. 😂

solanelle
    @calidris

@everyone I think I’m finally ready for a return!

@merieshenanigans
    @mamaauthoress I think it’s lees chaotic in here by now, so I’m going to be focusing on my characters in here!  Feel free to drop in some of yours too!

Unfortunately, I’m giving Basil and Saskia a break and a long nap (in other words, I’m taking Basil out of the Castle before he has a meltdown).  I’m going to be dropping two new characters in!

Valencia Page:

Age – around 19

Appearance – tall (about 5’10”), slim, dark brown eyes, pale skin, and wild black curls (around shoulder length).  She wears wire rimmed glasses, and wears dark academia in the most practical sense of the word.

Personality – Valencia is an extremely wary, guarded person.  I’m pretty sure she’s autistic, and I know that she has some family trauma.  She’s very practically minded, intelligent, and extremely observant, but often lacks the social graces necessary to act upon these observations without ruffling feathers (in some ways like Basil minus the incessant whining).  Valencia comes from an extremely wealthy family, but was raised frugally and developed a strong work ethic.  As a result, she has little patience for waste, frivolous spending, and vapid people.

Valencia is introverted, but has a number of social connections (many shallow and socially necessary, a seldom few close).  One of her closest friends is Rosemary, the eldest daughter of another one of Spire’s elite families.  Rosemary was a mentor figure to Valencia, and provided her with the emotional safety she could never find in her family.

Valencia also has an unfortunate connection to a rival family’s younger son, Kit Carlisle.

And before I start on this next description, please accept my sincere apology for the chaos I’m going to wreak on this poor unsuspecting cast.  Namely, the chaos that is named Kit Carlisle.

Kit Carlisle:

Age – around 19-20

Appearance – tall (6’0″), slim, dark eyes, tan skin (Kit is of East Asian decent, but has dark skin).  Kit has an undercut, and the bulk of his hair is dyed pastel pink.  He has pierced ears and likes wearing shiny gold rings, patent leather boots that click obnoxiously on marble floors, and a long fur coat that swishes dramatically when he walks (which may or may not have been a gift from his stylish older brother Jasper, who is both equally chaotic and also eccentric to the point of borderline insanity.)

Personality – Kit is extremely extroverted and thrives off of attention and large crowds.  Contrary to what Valencia may choose to believe, Kit is also very intelligent, but often times acts on impulse instead of thinking things through (I’m very certain by now that he has undiagnosed ADHD.)  He’s chronically bored and understimulated, and has a bad habit of provoking and needling people for “interesting” reactions.  Besides this, Kit is carefree and often concerningly unbothered with life’s up and downs (as opposed to Valencia, who is high strung and often overly stressed).  He can be frequently seen with a sly, off kilter grin.  His favorite catchphrase is “That’s nice” (take that as you will – it’s meaning changes with the breeze) and his favorite color is of course, pastel pink.

Kit was adopted into his family as an infant, against the wishes of the family patriarch (who vehemently opposed including “outsiders” in the family inheritance.)  As such, Kit always felt displaced in this clan (he’s commonly referred to with his middle name, Carlisle, rather than the family name).  Although Kit’s immediate family is healthy and loving, he and Jasper are especially close because of this shared sentiment and experience.  Like Valencia, he has connections to Rosemary as well, and he’s also recently become an older brother to another (informal) adoptee – a strange boy named Basil who accidentally broke into he and his brothers’ shared apartment.

Kit’s extended family has been locked in a power struggle with Valencia’s extended family group for decades now, and the fight has only become more bitter as an international cold war threatens the peace of the very city they’re striving to control.  However, Rosemary’s sudden disappearance has forced Kit and Valencia to start collaborating in secret, a partnership that has slowly started to change their perceptions of each other for better (or worse XD)

*laughs as one fey*

solanelle
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf *waves*

What’s the current situation in the castle?

Also @this-is-not-an-alien I can’t help but think that Ehud and Kit would get along spectacularly, and by that I mean they’d burn the world down XD

*laughs as one fey*

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

Ooh, another Rosemary! Good thing she’s not in here or it might get confusing! 😂

@calidris
     Those characters sound interesting and well developed. This castle is going to be a marvelous chaos. *writer grins and the characters despair*

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

The current situation seems to be a glare-down sarcasm match between Jade and Lorcan.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,146 through 2,160 (of 2,830 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest