fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 2,830 total)
  • Author
    solanelle
    @calidris

@emily-waldorf @mamaauthoress

Basil:

“I should have died. They wouldn’t miss me like they miss her.”

Her.

A friend?  A relative?

Maybe a special friend?

Basil narrowed his eyes.  There was no telling who “she” was, and as curious as he was, it would only make things worse to ask.

But I want to know.

He could see her now, warm eyes blazing in the cold glare of the overhead lights, silently eating a rationed lunch while he stared into his plate.

Or maybe a few months prior, when he accidentally caught her gawking at him through that tiny window in the gym door.  He could feel it as if it were yesterday – quickly averting her shining eyes as a warm glow blossomed in his chest.

Basil grit his teeth.

Why didn’t I tell her then?

Timid timid timid timid timid…

“Hey,” The red-haired man’s quiet voice pulled him out of his thoughts. “Hey.  What has happened has happened. You can’t change it. She probably would not have wanted you to keep dwelling on this.”  Quin silently stared at him.  “Tell me,” he asked gently, “would she have wanted this for you?”

Quin opened his mouth, shutting it just as quickly.  “I-I … guess not,” he stuttered.  The man smiled faintly.

“There. Don’t dwell on it, okay? It won’t do you any good.”  Quin nodded weakly.

Would she have wanted this for you?

Who’s she?

Basil risked a glance at the boy.

Maybe you and I are more alike than I thought.

He sighed and squeezed his knees tight against his chest.
    He could see her, sitting alone on that grimy iron bench, knuckles pressed white against the rails as the subway rattled and bumped down corroded tracks.  Her ashen gaze flickered, now glowing like a dying ember, now blazing like a torch.

Oh Saskia. 

If only you knew…

@emily-waldorf
    sometime I think Basil should ask Quin about who exactly “she” is.  It’s probably not going to go over well lol, but I think he’s going to be surprised by the answer 😉  I need to get caught up on the story first though lol

Also…

YOU DID NOT JUST KILL QATAR

…did you?

🙁

Also @everyone I have a pretty good idea of what (or should I say…who) the Castle’s threat against Basil should be, but I’m not really sure who exactly it wants to pit him against.  Any suggestions?

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Okay, put yourself in my position. It’s first thing in the morning. I’m catching up with the posts as I do every morning. There are a lot, and I somehow miss the first ten in my emails.

So, I missed @emily-waldorf ‘s first post. I only read the reactions and I can’t adequately describe the sheer chaos of trying to figure out who had died, who killed them, how they died and what happened. It was as effectual as the proverbial bucket of cold water. It was a mess and honestly hysterical in hindsight.

Where do I start XD

Emily, HOW COULD YOU?? Whyyyyy??? I liked him!!!

Aydin’s not going to be able to handle this…

Okayy… I did not expect it to be that hardcore XD I have opened Pandora’s can of worms… XD

@irishcelticredflowercrown

Hii I’m so sorryI haven’t been active lately   there’s just a lot going on with college, work and some personal stuff that’s really stressed me out to the point where I find it hard to write at all and I’m honestly praying a lot for the situation to be solved. I’ve had to ask for extensions for a couple of my assignments because I haven’t been able to work properly.

That is absolutely fine! I know the feeling, it’s very overwhelming. I’ll pray for you too! Take a break and take care of yourself!

I’ll see if I can process what happened and then post later XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@calidris Yes, Quin is 19–I think they are pretty close. Sure, Basil can ask who “she” is, but it might come out before then.

Also… YOU DID NOT JUST KILL QATAR …did you?

What does it look like, lol?

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Emily, HOW COULD YOU?? Whyyyyy??? I liked him!!! Aydin’s not going to be able to handle this…

Good. Wonderful!  I can’t wait. Yeah, I’m sorry about the deluge of posts…I kinda figured that might happen to you. Rum way to figure it out, though. (Also, for the record, this moral challenge was your idea so…it’s your fault?? Just kidding, of course.:D )

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Okayy… I did not expect it to be that hardcore XD I have opened Pandora’s can of worms… XD

This is me, plotting beforehand. Why do you think I instigated that guess-the-character’s-reaction thingy, lol? It was totally in character for them both though, and I must say I had fun writing it. Because I’m a monster–er, that is, author. Also probably because I’ve been watching Avengers: Infinity War. So…no problem killing off perfectly good characters after that.

Neasa

@emily-waldorf @rose-colored-fancy @calidris @mamaauthoress @this-is-not-an-alien @rusted-knight @denali-christianson

Hey Guys okay so I’m a little bit motivated today so I’m gonna give this thing another go…

So what’s happening so far? Is Qatar dead?! Seriously – ah jeez

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Neasa.
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Okay, the castle told them they have to wound one other person (doesn’t matter who) or face some kind of consequence. (you can pick)

Evie wounded Niarok, Niarok refused, Yila almost did but hasn’t (yet) Aydin wouldn’t but might, Quin did, Qatar wouldn’t and the castle killed him off. Klein and Rúan haven’t so far but might. Basil and Misu haven’t reacted yet.

I think that was everything? It’s a mess, I’m having trouble myself XD Sorry if I messed anything up, anyone!

Also, the castle earlier told all the others that Aydin, Niarok, and Lorcan are assassins and that Quin and Yila are murderers. I told you it’s a mess XD None of them are reacting well XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

Great thanks! Gosh this should be fun haha 🙂

@denali-christianson

Also, that dialogue you just had with Lorcan there just made my entire day. XD
    Haha lollll XD

And thanks guys, it means a lot that you’re here for me. Even though we’ve never met face to face, I have so much fun with u guys 🙂

Lorcan

Lorcan stared at the pool of blood on the ground. Qatar’s blood.

Crikey. This was becoming more deadly by the minute.

“Now. Lets have some real fun,” the Castle boomed. “Moving onto the assassin with many names and yet still nameless.”

He felt slight shift in the air around him. Looking down, he saw groups of particles and tiny stones rolling towards him as if he were a magnet. As if suddenly, the Castle had literally centered its attention on him now. He clenched his fists.

“The assassin unworthy of leading. What shall I do with you?” The Castle wondered out loud. “Seeing as most of your morals have been eradicated, this will be rather tricky. Hmm…”

Lorcan glanced up and caught Yila’s eye. She was staring at him with apprehension. He tried to smile at her in reassurance. It was going to be okay –

“I could always make you relieve the Clash,” he stated. Lorcan’s blood froze. His muscles tensed to the point of physical pain. No – he couldn’t shop weakness now, he had to be strong-

“So many lives you took that day,” the Castle chuckled. “When the judges entered the battlefield, they were expecting some unlucky few that had lost their lives. Instead – all the contestants had been killed, and you stood in the midst of all the carnage. And you – your own father barely recognised you. Because your face was soaked in the blood of all young men you had just brutally murdered.”

Lorcan couldn’t speak, couldn’t breathe, couldn’t think – that day he had tried so hard to leave behind him was resurfacing again. Those – boys he killed – they-

“At the tender age of fifteen too,” the Castle added.

Through his blurred vision, he could see everyone’s faces. He could see their eyes. Were they afraid? Shocked? Angered?

“Yeah. I was fifteen,” he answered with a growl. Don’t show any emotion. “I didn’t know any better. Treated like dirt my whole life – all I knew was that in order to survive, to live – you had to get to the very top. No matter what. I didn’t – I didn’t know nothing – you hear me?”

The last part came out as a roar. Lorcan could feel the anger boiling over in torrents.

“Or perhaps – I could make you relieve the time you betrayed the only one who truly understood you.”

This time, Lorcan’s rage turned fiery. This Castle dared intrude on his most private, heartbreaking moments in life.

“Shut – up,” he said through gritted teeth. He wasn’t going to think about her. He wasn’t gonna think about the girl with the bright eyes and dazzling smile.

The one Yila reminded him so much of…

“She’s dead because of you, Lorcan.”

“Shut up! She’s not dead! She’s out there, she’s alive-”

“When you found out what she really was – after all the days you spent together. Playing in the sand. Exploring the cliffs. Searching for shells. When she revealed what she really was – you didn’t hesitate, did you? You went straight to your father-

“Shut up!” He slammed a fist into the ground. “I order you-

“How old would she be now? No older than Yila perhaps? Of course you’ll never know, will you?”

Lorcan was speechless as unwanted memories raced through his head. The girl he had befriended – the only light in his life – and she was gone – because of him –

“How about this? I will be generous and give you a choice – I will let you leave. You will forget about all that has transpired here and life will go on as normal – if you kill one of those two. I don’t care which. You may decide, lonely assassin.”

The air around him suddenly pushed him up, forcing him to face Niarok and Yila. Lorcan’s heart plummetted. Sweat trickled down his spine. This wasn’t happening – this wasn’t –

“Would you like to show your new friends then – what you really are?”, the Castle laughed. “Are you a man – or a monster?”

Handmaiden
    @mamaauthoress

First of all … QATAR?!?!???? *cries*

Second of all — I have too many tags to look through at the moment, so I’m just going to write. If you need to tell me something, now’s the time. 😅

______

RÚAN

Everything was swimming.

Rúan saw Qatar crumple with a spear lodged in his chest. He saw Niarok stagger back.

But the sounds were all blurred together.

Gritting his teeth, Rúan brought the hand holding Leaghadh up and planted the tip into the floor, using it as traction to haul himself onto his knees, gasping.

“Hey Rúan.”

He froze. Slowly looking up, Rúan stared into the eyes of an … otherworldly-dressed bear of a man.

“Hit me in the nose,” the man commanded.

Rúan shuddered as a wave of white-hot pain rippled throughout his leg. “Wh-why?” he demanded. “I’ll do no such thing.”

“It’s just a punch,” the man said. “You saw what happened to the man when he refused.”

Rúan’s eyes drifted to the body in the corner. Quin was standing over it, looking pale and sick.

Turning back to the bear-like man, Rúan narrowed his eyes. This has to be some trick.

“Why are you asking me?” Rúan questioned.

@Rusted-Knight
    — if there is anything you would like to change, go right ahead! (:

Anxious gremlin coming through

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

I love how this went from “Bunch of misfits end up in a castle and have wacky adventures! Yay!” to “collaborative horror story full of child assassins, guilt, mind control, abuse, and lots of murder.”

It’s fun to pull out all the stops and just write angst as much as I like XD (It’s all I’ve ever wanted…)

@emily-waldorf

Good. Wonderful!  I can’t wait. Yeah, I’m sorry about the deluge of posts…I kinda figured that might happen to you. Rum way to figure it out, though.

Don’t worry about it XD

I’ve never heard anyone use “rum” as an adjective irl and I accept it as official permission to finally use Victorian slang in daily conversation. I’ve waited for this day XD

(Also, for the record, this moral challenge was your idea so…it’s your fault?? Just kidding, of course.:D )

I KNOW!!! THAT’S THE WORST PART I FEEL GUILTY XD

@everyone

It’s friday and the sun sets at like 16:20 which is ridiculous so I probably won’t be able to post today, but I’ll try to do it tomorrow evening!

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Okay…so it says I posted but not a post I see. Sorry if this is a double post, then:

@this-is-not-an-alien

How could you do that to me? *glares* Also dang girl that was intense, I am impressed!!!

*grins* thank you! (Meant this as part of the earlier response, but was called away) 🙂

@denali-christianson

I am literally still in shock. I think I’m going to faint or something. And this happened three or four hours ago. WHAT ON EARTH JUST HAPPENED????????

Mwahahaha. I’m delighted. (B/c I’m an author, i.e. monster.) I hoped to make some ripples, but being in shock for 3-4 hours was past my wildest hopes. I was scheming this for–days, I think. At least a day–so I’m having so much fun with y’all’s responses. 🙂

I mean…I could’ve killed off Quin, but his character arc isn’t to that point…yet.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Don’t worry about it XD I’ve never heard anyone use “rum” as an adjective irl and I accept it as official permission to finally use Victorian slang in daily conversation. I’ve waited for this day XD

Ha! Welcome to my world!!

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy @irishcelticredflowercrown

Just wanted to clarify for y’all that Niarok hasn’t been challenged yet. 🙂

Yila

Yila glared at the pool of blood which had once been a man.

This castle was just cruel.

The blood wasn’t the part that bothered her. Blood and guts she could handle. Evil and heartless killing she was done with.

She’d seen far too much in her lifetime.

“Now. Lets have some real fun,” the Castle chortled. “Moving onto the assassin with many names and yet still nameless.”

Yila choked. So you’re telling me that you didn’t consider that murder “real fun?” What was it then? Unmitigated cruelty for no reason?

Yep. That sounded about right.

Tiny particles of stone and dust motes swirled toward Lorcan, and Yila’s heart sped in her chest. Her heart sank.

If the castle killed that man, she would die. She would legitimately drop dead where she stood.

Lorcan caught her gaze and his lips twitched like he was trying to reassure her. He failed miserably.

“I could always make you relieve the Clash,” the Castle mused. Lorcan visibly stiffened.

“So many lives you took that day. When the judges entered the battlefield, they were expecting some unlucky few that had lost their lives. Instead – all the contestants had been killed, and you stood in the midst of all the carnage. And you – your own father barely recognized you. Because your face was soaked in the blood of all young men you had just brutally murdered.”

Yila winced. That was a bit graphic.

Lorcan’s forehead was pale and shiny. He looked sick.

Yila knew that feeling all too well.

“At the tender age of fifteen too,” the Castle finished.

Yila’s eyes widened. She’d been fifteen when she’d killed Aydin’s look-alike.

That was disturbing.

“Yeah. I was fifteen,” Lorcan growled, eyes and face flat. “I didn’t know any better. Treated like dirt my whole life – all I knew was that in order to survive, to live – you had to get to the very top. No matter what. I didn’t – I didn’t know nothing – you hear me?”

Lorcan was yelling, and Yila couldn’t blame him. She’d felt the same way pretty much every time she’d killed a person. She was doomed to fail Shadow-dom from the beginning.

“Or perhaps – I could make you relieve the time you betrayed the only one who truly understood you,” the Castle said, maniacal humor edging the words.

Lorcan’s face was turning red. Yila reminded herself never to get on his bad side. Even if she could probably defend herself against him, she didn’t want that bear attacking her.

“Shut – up,” Lorcan gritted. Yila shut her eyes. He would never know how deeply she understood every single one of these feelings.

“She’s dead because of you, Lorcan,” the Castle murmured.

She?

“Shut up! She’s not dead! She’s out there, she’s alive-” Lorcan yelled.

She’s not dead? But then what does that make me?

Yila’s heart pounded. Had it been a lie?

“When you found out what she really was – after all the days you spent together. Playing in the sand. Exploring the cliffs. Searching for shells. When she revealed what she really was – you didn’t hesitate, did you? You went straight to your father-

“Shut up!” Lorcan yelled, slamming a fist into the ground. “I order you-

“How old would she be now? No older than Yila perhaps? Of course you’ll never know, will you?”

Yila choked on tears. Betrayed.

Niarok appeared beside her, and she glanced at him. His eyes were red. Whether he was crying because of Qatar or because of Yila’s loss, she didn’t know.

She didn’t care.

“How about this? I will be generous and give you a choice – I will let you leave. You will forget about all that has transpired here and life will go on as normal – if you kill one of those two. I don’t care which. You may decide, lonely assassin,” the Castle said.

Dread struck Yila’s heart as Lorcan was shoved around to face her and Niarok.

Her brother gripped her shoulder.

Yila shut her eyes. Before now, she would have been fine with dying. But now was not the time. And certainly not at the hands of the only other man she’d ever deigned to put her trust in.

“Would you like to show your new friends then – what you really are?”, the Castle laughed. “Are you a man – or a monster?”

Lorcan’s eyes were wide and agonized, and Yila gritted her teeth.

No.

This couldn’t be happening.

"The darkness is seldom complete, and even when it is, the pinprick of light is not long in coming."

Neasa

@denali-christianson

Oh. MY. GOODNEEESSSS!!! I laughed so hard AT THIS my lip started bleeding HAHAAAA XD Poor Yila! She shouldn’t take this the wrong way. I still plan on something happening between those two don’t worry!!

If the castle killed that man, she would die. She would legitimately drop dead where she stood.

But oh my goodness, I love how dramatic she is LOLLLL this line is great!!!

I’m sorry Yila! I just can’t stop laughing now XD

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Haha Ikr I was like “I know Lorcan likes her and she’s sooo taking this the wrong way” I love how it worked out though!!! XD

But oh my goodness, I love how dramatic she is LOLLLL this line is great!!!

I love this! I’m just now realizing how overly dramatic she is about basically everything lol!

"The darkness is seldom complete, and even when it is, the pinprick of light is not long in coming."

Viewing 15 posts - 1,651 through 1,665 (of 2,830 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest