fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,546 through 1,560 (of 1,827 total)
  • Author
    Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

The chatter from the others was indistinct to Rúan’s ears as he tried to forcibly turn and twist his mind into understanding.

That, however, resulted in a migraine so harsh that his consciousness wavered for a beat.

Because he was frustrated that his reasoning kept hitting dead ends, his hair fwoom!ed again, and the unpleasant smell of smoke began to rise from his now flaming head.

He didn’t even bother putting it out.

Sparking fire in his palm, Rúan tossed it from hand to hand, trying to calm himself.

Relax … unwind …

But only just enough so that he could think properly.

His priorities now was to find Yulenna and Fernya, and if Osløn appears along the way, a nice dose of sweet revenge.

Rescue Yulenna. Find Mother. Revenge on Osløn.

Three tasks. Easy.

Once Rúan had relatively cooled off, the fire blazing on his hair snuffed out. He clenched his right fist, and the tongue of flame fizzled, smoke seeping through his fingers.

Now that he knew what his priorities were, he was in a much better mood. Now he could work out the middle parts in between.

He stood and began to pace, muttering to himself as the gears and cogs began to work out a plan in his mind.

Rescue Yulenna — how?
    Find Mother — how? Where?
    Revenge on Osløn — how? Why?

His mind turned and spun, working out and processing different ideas as they came. It was like woodworking, like getting his hands dirty in the good work of smithying — pastimes he loved.

(Maybe another character can come and interact with him? I really don’t know what else to do)

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

(Quin can come over and say Hi, but I don’t think I’ll have time today.)

Your life is not your own so keep your hands off it. ~Sherlock Holmes

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@emily-waldorf

(That’s perfectly fine! 🙂)

(Due to the fast-pacing of this roleplay, however, if there is activity while you are gone, I might have to move past this idea to keep up with the story. Please don’t have hard feelings if you come back and the story has moved on. 😬😅 Most of this is beyond my power)

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@mamaauthoress–ofc! I understand. If it’s all moved on, Quin and I can catch up later. 🙂 He has some trauma at sight of Ruan’s leg, b/c his own was maimed just ten months ago. Btw, which leg of Ruan’s is injured?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@emily-waldorf 😊 I’m glad you do

Erm … I believe it was Rúan’s right leg, since he was able to hold his sword without pain (he’s a lefty), but I’m not sure if I mentioned which leg or not.

Let’s just assume it’s his right. 😅

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

I’m gonna have the castle air some more dirty laundry and call out Quin as a murderer. Shall I include Yila, or…?

Oh, yes please! She’s going to throw a fit!!! Actually, I realize I have no clue how she’s going to react now that I think about it so… now I’m curious…

@rose-colored-fancy

Also, I’m so sorry, poor Niarok. Aydin isn’t taking friendship overtures well currently XD

Lol it’s fine. Gives Niarok some room to grow and gives me some fun to play with his character… XD I’m curious how he’s going to react…

My one and only goal XD

BUT OHMYGOODNESS HOW DO YOU ALWAYS SURPASS EXPECTATIONS BY THAT MUCH????? THAT’S THE GREATEST!!!!!

Oh, this is going to be a mess… XD

Lol sammmeee though…

Wait really? Like seriously? XD I had no idea… What did I do??? I’m legit clueless over here… 😀

I like messes… It’s probably not a good thing. *Niarok shakes head solemnly* Oh, stay out of it!

Also fair warning I’m going to post twice now because I want Niarok but Yila needs screen time too. Leytera is just quietly sitting around watching all the action and wondering if she should run or give someone a hug or cry or something else… Idk what to do with her right now! XD

Also, after we finish with the moral compass thing (cuz I need to know how Leytera’s going to react), I’m probably going to pull her out as I have another character who really needs development and the other castle isn’t really working for her.

Okayyyy now excuse me while I traumatize my poor Niarok… XD

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Oh oops. I just realized I started spelling Aydin’s name wrong at some point…

Niarok

As Niarok took a step towards Aydin, he saw a spark of anger and hatred in the man’s eyes, something he’d never seen before.

He stopped.

He needed to think this through. Aydin either had some completely unknown reason for hating Niarok and just hadn’t shown it until now, or he hated himself and therefore was angry that Niarok hadn’t let Yila kill him.

He chose to go with the latter of the two, hoping he was right.

Meaning his next statement wouldn’t help that much, but he knew civility was the only constructive thing to do right now.

“I know you may not believe me, but I don’t hate you,” he said quietly.

Aydin smiled. He smiled. It was the most derisive, hopeless thing Niarok had ever seen, and he resisted the urge to flinch. This wasn’t going to be easy, and he hated the castle so much for it.

“If you don’t see anything wrong with what I did you’re worse than I am,” he said. His eyes begged Niarok to just give in and hate him already.

Niarok opened his mouth to speak, but a bellow interrupted his sentence.

“Idiots, knock it off!” Klein yelled. Niarok spun to face him, but not before he saw the slightest miniscule flinch in Aydin’s posture.

He shut his eyes. This was a disaster of the highest proportions.

“Look at yourselves,” Klein snapped. At least someone was addressing the other half of the problem. “You go and try to kill each other just because you learned the other is an assassin like you. After all we’ve gone through. Think about it. Y’all could have been killed a dozen times over but you weren’t. This… entity is trying to pit y’all against each other for sport.”

“What’s new?” Aydin snarled, voice cold and biting.

Niarok shook his head. Klein was right, in his own way. Niarok certainly hadn’t been trying to kill Aydin, and Aydin hadn’t been trying to kill him either. He hoped. Lorcan was just standing there passively. He apparently figured that since everyone already knew who he was there was nothing to be concerned about.

Klein had to have been referring to Yila.

Niarok was honestly concerned that the castle hadn’t announced his sister’s name. That meant it didn’t know just general knowledge – it knew specifics. Which was absolutely terrifying, and Niarok really didn’t want to know how it knew.

Klein was still talking, and Niarok noticed his eyes were concerningly animalian. That couldn’t be natural.

“Since this has proved to be an issue, lets eliminate it,” Klein said. He was taller than most of the people in the cavern, and his eyes hit Niarok’s forehead. The man was huge.

He sat down, like he was preparing to tell a long story by the campfire. Niarok braced himself.

“My full name is Klein Mattias Gray. I’m a gunnery sergeant in United States Marine Corp, part of the Marine Raiders special forces detachment. I am a biologically enhanced soldier. I am trained as a scout sniper and shock trooper. I’ve been deployed to Iran, Afghanistan, Mars and the Asteroid belt in nearly ten years of service. I have 89 confirmed kills with nearly as many unconfirmed.”

Niarok winced. That was a lot of people dead. He hardly recognized the language. The names were unfamiliar, but that was to be expected from someone from a completely different world.

But the part about the 89 kills. That hurt. A lot.

Niarok’s mind involuntarily conjured a picture of his father, and he reeled, sitting down quickly so he wouldn’t look suddenly intoxicated.

The nightmares all came rushing back, and he shut his eyes against the terrible memories. The day that had killed not only his father but his sister as well.

He pulled himself back to the present. Aydin was speaking. He looked so broken by himself, and Niarok once again saw himself there.

“Aydin, son of nobody,” he said, his voice hesitant and quiet.

“Member of the Servane Siya for three years. Assassins,” he continued, his voice sharpening. His eyes focused on a distant point, and it seemed as though it was not him, but rather a memory of a former Aydin, speaking.

“Head poisoner. Dishonorably expelled on an accusation of sabotage.” Ayden paused, his eyes flickering. Niarok got the feeling that “dishonorably expelled” was putting it extremely lightly.

“Transferred to the lower spy corps. Worked there for a year,” Aydin resumed. “Confirmed kills–” He hesitated, as if he was trying to decide if he should speak or not. “One.”

Niarok lowered his head. It was the one.

The picture flashed before his eyes. The distant stare, the blood, the arrow perfectly lodged in the man’s heart.

No one would ever know who killed him. It was his own arrow that had drawn his life away.

He had been seventeen.

A year older than Niarok.

His cousin.

Tears stung the back of Niarok’s eyes, but he shoved them down. If they were having sharing time, he better share.

“My whole family was part of a secret order risen from the ancient wizards, law-keepers and justice warriors,” he said quietly. He dreaded speaking of his father.

“My sister was trained to be a Shadow, a ninja who can kill without feeling and disappear without a trace. I was trained in the art of assassination, and my title was Mist. I was to be able to kill anyone anywhere at anytime. My father was our primary trainer, and we saw nothing wrong with it as small children. But as I grew older I… I discovered that to kill another was to kill a part of myself. Things happened, and I chose to learn the art of poison as a guise to hide the fact I was really learning to save the people I was supposed to kill. But they discovered what I was doing, and they threatened to assassinate my family if I didn’t stop. I continued, but did so in complete secret. Then a year and a half ago, my father renounced his vow to the order. They killed him.”

Niarok lowered his head, swallowing hard and trying to keep the tears at bay. He hadn’t said everything, not by a long shot. But at least they knew the important things.

“Confirmed kills…” he trailed off, the boy’s face staring blankly into his memory. “Ten. Unconfirmed kills, fifteen.”

They were staring at him, but he didn’t care. He’d said it. He’d admitted his past, and he didn’t care. It was behind him now, and now all that mattered was regaining their trust.

He took a sip of water and shoved his emotions behind a stone face.

“I need to check on my sister,” he said quietly.

Okay then… I may have just broken my own heart but… that’s okay.

Yeah, there’s a WHOLE lot more to his backstory than that, but he wasn’t lying.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Okayyy I’m back and now I’m going to write an uber sentimental scene cuz besides existential crises and blood, those are me favorites! XD

Yila

The castle had just called out her brother. That was not cool.

Yila clutched Niarok’s arm, ready to tear the walls down with sheer strength. His muscles were tense, and she knew he was trying to decide whether silence or protest would be more beneficial.

“And Siya Aydin.”

Aydin? The man who looked exactly like the one who’d killed her father? Aydin was an assassin?

Everything shattered.

Blinding rage split her veins into a spider’s web of lightning.

He was the assassin. He was alive again. And she was going to make him suffer for all the awful things he’d done to her family.

Her heart splintered under the weight of her anger and her hand was on her knife before she could think.

“Don’t you ever call me that again!” Aydin yelled, striding towards the back wall in fury.

Her vision narrowed and snapped until all she could see was the face of the man who’d killed her father.

He was still holding his bow.

She sprang forward, running and throwing her knife in a smooth motion. It flew closer, closer, closer – and swerved around his head.

Confusion, anger, and frustration drove a red fog into Yila’s mind and she collapsed in a heap, fighting the restraints that held her down.

They were trying to kill her.

She could see the poison.

There was the Mist again, his face and body blurred. Anger boiled hotter and hotter and she attempted to break free of the strong leather straps around her body, holding her down, holding her back.

She would have blood.

Heat rose and her heart pounded in her ears.

Slowly, the face came into focus.

Aydin.

The restraints were arms. Her brother’s arms.

She went limp, and Niarok was the only thing holding her up.

She had never felt so drained, but the only thing she could see was the picture of her father lying face down with an arrow through his heart.

Hot tears burned her eyes.

“Can I let you go?” Niarok whispered.

She paused. Could she trust herself?

“Yes,” she whispered back, her voice breaking.

He slowly released her, and she fled down the tunnel away from all the staring eyes.

Hot, angry, broken tears streamed down her face and she ran with desperation.

She’d lost control.

Again.

Hurt and brokenness deeper than anything she’d ever experienced before slammed into her and stabbed her heart out, and she collapsed to the ground in a crumpled heap.

The voices of the others had faded, and she was utterly alone, far away from all the people who would condemn her.

She could hardly care what they thought.

Pictures of all the people she’d killed raced through her mind.

Failure, her heart whispered.

A Shadow wasn’t supposed to feel remorse, or even to remember the people they’d killed.

But she did.

And it broke her.

She wanted to flee from her past, to die and sink beneath the nothingness and darkness.

There was nothing for her here.

She had failed in her only skill, yet because of her only skill she was just a shell.

And she would have been long dead if she hadn’t thought best to stick around for her brother.

Now it didn’t even matter.

They were exposed, and she was clearly incapable of controlling herself.

She’d seen this happen. Every so often, a Shadow would go mad with sudden guilt.

She’d vowed she’d never let that happen to herself.

And yet here she was, and she was breaking. She was going mad.

Forty people dead.

At her hands.

And she remembered every. single. one of them.

How Niarok hadn’t disowned her with his love for people, she didn’t know.

She’d killed half his extended family.

And yet somehow he still tried to hold her together.

It was unfair.

More tears poured from her eyes, and she rolled onto her back, staring up into the endless darkness.

This was absolutely hopeless. Everything about it was. She would never be able to heal from it.

Back home, mad Shadows were killed on site. Yila had always found it slightly cruel that they didn’t try to rehabilitate them instead, but now she understood.

Death would have been a mercy.

“Yila?”

Yila sat up. It was too dark to see, but she sensed her brother’s presence.

“Kill me,” she whispered.

“What?”

“Kill me. I’ve gone mad. I-I can’t hold it together anymore. Please. Kill me.”

Niarok sat down next to her.

“No.”

That one word should have crushed her. It was so final, so ending. He’d just condemned her to a life of misery.

Yet somehow, somehow it didn’t.

“Why?” she whispered, breathless. The tears had stopped.

“Because I love you, and I believe you can heal,” he whispered back.

Then he hugged her.

She didn’t fight, didn’t move, just sat there.

She would have been dead long ago without her brother. It was a given.

She rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. She’d never felt so exhausted, so drained in her life.

The guilt was strong and thick in her throat, but for some reason it wasn’t too much to bear anymore.

Something between her and Niarok had shifted.

She sensed that he truly understood, and that alone made her stronger.

Wooooow that got lonnggggg…

I can’t decide whether I loved that or hated it. Thoughts, my friends?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

*heart is torn*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

I can’t decide whether I loved that or hated it. Thoughts, my friends?

Well, it audibly made me go “Aww, that’s so cute…” so that’s a yes from me XD

Okayyy I’m back and now I’m going to write an uber sentimental scene cuz besides existential crises and blood, those are me favorites! XD

Oh, absolutely! My other favorites are when you reread a scene and it feels like being punched in the gut seven consecutive times. That always makes me ‘happy’ XD

Lol it’s fine. Gives Niarok some room to grow and gives me some fun to play with his character… XD I’m curious how he’s going to react…

I actually love how he’s reacting, he’s just too sweet.

Wait really? Like seriously? XD I had no idea… What did I do??? I’m legit clueless over here…

Totally!! You write Aydin better than I do and add extra depth and blend it with Niarok’s perspective it’s just *chef’s kiss*!!! Just Niarok as a character is so facinating because he has this really dark past and instead of it making him hard like it did with Yila, he stayed so kind and is so empathetic to everyone.

I love him, he has my heart 🥰

Also fair warning I’m going to post twice now because I want Niarok but Yila needs screen time too. Leytera is just quietly sitting around watching all the action and wondering if she should run or give someone a hug or cry or something else… Idk what to do with her right now! XD

We all have that character XD

Also, after we finish with the moral compass thing (cuz I need to know how Leytera’s going to react), I’m probably going to pull her out as I have another character who really needs development and the other castle isn’t really working for her.

Ooh, is that the one in the villain’s castle? That castle is kind of hibernating, everyone is too busy. That sounds awesome!

I’m planning to drop Liorah in at the same time, just for a little while to watch the ✨chaos✨. And just for the sass that’s Aydin and Liorah together. Man, they’re the worst I love it.

So, @calidris , maybe you want to see if you can get Saskia in at about the same time so we can see the glorious disaster that is Saskia-Basil-Liorah? (Pretty pretty please I’m begging you, my imagination has run off with that dynamic and I really need to see it)

I’ll write Aydin later. I’m curious to see what Aydin is going to do now his secrets are all uncomfortably public…

This is going to get dark again, let’s goooo!!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

*pumps fist* LET’S GOOO

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

Well, it audibly made me go “Aww, that’s so cute…” so that’s a yes from me XD

😂😂😂😂 That’s good!

Oh, absolutely! My other favorites are when you reread a scene and it feels like being punched in the gut seven consecutive times. That always makes me ‘happy’ XD

YESSSSSSSS I do that to myself a lot just for sheer pleasure. XD My favs are the super sentimental scenes in the middle of a battle when people are dying and it’s great…

I actually love how he’s reacting, he’s just too sweet.

I knowwwww right?????? He’s literally just taken the reins and is like “she wanted to make me distant and unemotional. She failed. *chuckles*” XD

Totally!! You write Aydin better than I do and add extra depth and blend it with Niarok’s perspective it’s just *chef’s kiss*!!! Just Niarok as a character is so facinating because he has this really dark past and instead of it making him hard like it did with Yila, he stayed so kind and is so empathetic to everyone.

I love him, he has my heart

Wowwww I had no idea I was even doing that lol. I’m literally just writing my perception of Aydin and being like “and how would Niarok react to someone like this?” and then it just kind of works. I think it’s because their characters just naturally go well together… Lol right???? I literally dropped Niarok into the castle with nothing except a basic personality and a name, no backstory, nothing else. Then I realized he was a doctor, and then I realized he also has a super dark backstory and now I’m like… wow. He’s the best character I’ve ever written! XD

We all have that character XD

Which is precisely the reason why she’s no longer one of my MC’s! 😂😂😂

Ooh, is that the one in the villain’s castle? That castle is kind of hibernating, everyone is too busy. That sounds awesome!

No, she’s in the other other castle. It’s just she’s getting no development because Idk what’s happening. That one also has more a strict RP feel to it, and she really doesn’t need RP right now…

So she’s coming here and it will prolly be a disaster. I think I’m going to drop her in with character development from the first book, which means she’ll be traumatized, having regular flashbacks, and super duper angry with the world…

Which might be terrifying lol.

I’m planning to drop Liorah in at the same time, just for a little while to watch the  chaos . And just for the sass that’s Aydin and Liorah together. Man, they’re the worst I love it.

Lol I’m so excited!!!! I’m dying to see how she and Yila interact. And how she and Niarok get along. It’s going to hilarious especially since I’ve already her sooo much about her! XD

I’ll write Aydin later. I’m curious to see what Aydin is going to do now his secrets are all uncomfortably public…

Ohhh same! I’m also really excited to see how Niarok reacts. And how everyone else reacts to Niarok’s confession too…

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *cackles maniacally while doing a little dance*

I like dark.

I think I might get dark with Yila and Niarok too at some point because… Darkness. XD

@mamaauthoress

*heart is torn*

Lol SAME though! XD

Also a completely unrelated side note, but it’s gloomy and dark and cold around here right now, it looks like a cross between Middle Earth and an unrealized fantasy world, and I’m praying it snows already cuz it hasn’t yet and ugggghhhhh

Okay that was random goodbye now… XD

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson it made me like Yila, so, score.

Quin

Assassins were all around him. there was no escaping them in this cage of rock and death.

he felt panic rising, cold and sure. He looked around desperately. It’s a terrible idea to show fear, especially if there are people around who know the easiest way to kill you…

Basil was turning into a disaster beside Misu, and Misu was looking at him in surprise and sorrow.

“You too?” Basil nodded.

Quin felt the cold reach toward his heart.

Klein started shouting, and everyone turned to look at him.

“My full name is Klein Mattias Gray. I’m a gunnery sergeant in United States Marine Corp, part of the Marine Raiders special forces detachment. I am a biologically enhanced soldier. I am trained as a scout sniper and shock trooper. I’ve been deployed to Iran, Afghanistan, Mars and the Asteroid belt in nearly ten years of service. I have 89 confirmed kills with nearly as many unconfirmed.”

Quin felt sick. Is everyone here an assassin?

He looked toward Leytera. Her big, scared eyes met his. She was trembling.

Not her at least. he looked around, half expecting them to all draw knives and run at him. Then he caught Locran’s eye, and his hand tightened on his one crutch–the makeshift one Locran had built him.

He’s okay.

his gaze wandered to Niarok, who stood a few feet away from the new man. The man’s leg was bleeding, through the bandage Niarok had wrapped it with.  Niarok’s shoulders were slumped with anger, hurt, and exhaustion.

He seems more intent on saving life than killing it.

then he saw Aydin. For the first time the shuffling demeanor had vanished from his stance. He stood tall, ready for anything. He even stood like an assassin–more like Locran than Niarok.

Quin swallowed. I don’t even know him. he squeezed his hand into a fist.

He looked back at Klein. He looked less frightening now that he had his helmet off, and was sitting.

Still…

he caught Basil’s eye, and could almost hear his voice again, blaming them for the potential of getting sick. He doesn’t like anyone here–he’d obliterate us in a heartbeat.

He looked down and found that he was squeezing Leytera’s hand. She wasn’t even trying to let go. Her hand was cold and trembling.

His eyes drifted back to the group of assassins. Aydin was recounting his history of blood and deception. Quin shivered. Then his eye fell on the man with the bleeding leg.

he was pale, and looked ready to fall.

“Leytera,” Quin whispered. “Do me a favor. Will you get me that stick over there? the one by the fire. No not that one, the one further to the left.”

She got up and brought back the stick, and he began breaking it down to size. He pulled a rag out of his pocket and wound it around the top.

Now I have two fake crutches. That ought to be interesting.

He stood up stiffly and winced. I didn’t need to have bruised ribs on top of everything.

He swung over to the man with the injured leg, casting an uncertain glance at Aydin.

“Here.” he held out the new-made crutch. “You look like you could use this for a while.”

His eyes were looking far away, and his face was pale and sweating.

“Hey…” his voice was low, and he reached out a finger and brushed the man’s arm. As soon as he touched him, the man’s hand shot up and gripped Quin’s wrist so hard he almost cried out.

His heart started racing.

This was such a bad idea. Now he’s going to kill me. he looked back, but Leytera was looking at him with big, frightened eyes, and Qatar was ignoring him.

he cleared his throat and tried not to let his voice shake.

“I’m Quin…Miller.”

Nothing changed.

“Could you–let go of me?”

That was a bad thing to say.

The man’s sword was glowing fiercely. Quin closed his eyes and waited.

@mamaauthoress
    , go ahead and change anything. I have a haunch this isn’t how Ruan would react…

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

Does Rúan have fire powers? It genuinely startled me when you wrote about his hair catching fire again and he doesn’t have a particular issue with it XD

@everyone

I can’t write tonight, but I’ll try to do it first thing tomorrow! Aydin is probably just going to sit down in a corner somewhere and watch everyone while pretending not to watch everyone. Because he’s mad and that’s how he sulks. XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@rose-colored-fancy

Ahhghh oops — how on earth did I forget to add that in the description?? *facefist*
    Yes, he does. I’m terrible sorry. 😅

@emily-waldorf

Rúan probably wouldn’t take it to that extreme, since Quin is younger, but he definitely would startle at Quin’s touch. Right now, he’s pacing and mumbling indistinctly to himself. (:

The intricacies of Rúan’s thought canals wove in, around, and throughout each other in tangled patterns only he could understand.

But the weaving thought trails all suddenly shot away as he felt something brush his arm.

Rúan jumped a good two inches off the ground.

Whipping around, he saw a boy in his teen years (My understanding was that Quin’s a teen?) holding a stick, looking terrified.

When Rúan could confirm that this boy meant no harm, he unwound slightly.

“I’m Quin…Miller.” He looked like he was forcing control over his voice. He trembled.

Rúan quickly glanced behind him, then back at Quin, trying to make his tongue work. “I-I’m–” He cleared his throat. “I’m Rúan.”

He sat down when his leg began to ache, and the bandages were stained with new, crimson blood.

Quin sat down also — slowly and warily — across from him. “Here,” he said, holding out the stick he’d brought. “I-In case you needed it.”

Rúan’s eyebrows raised, and he opened his mouth to speak. Finding nothing on his tongue, he tentatively reached out and took the stick from the boy, smiling slightly and nodding his gratitude.

Quin visibly relaxed.

“I …” Rúan started, swallowing to wet his throat, “I’m sorry if I startled you. I was … thinking.”

This boy was unlike the others. His eyes held no hint of suspicious secrets behind them.

Unlike Aydin, whose every move was pre-calculated, at least around Rúan.

“You … you’re not an assassin, are you?” Rúan asked, just to double check.

Just to make sure. Rúan would not have asked Niarok before … he’d been too certain then.

This was merely a precaution. He was in a room full of guarded, mysterious people, after all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,546 through 1,560 (of 1,827 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest