fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,531 through 1,545 (of 1,832 total)
  • Author
    Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

(Whoa, I’m so so sorry, I need a minute to read this all)

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

NOOOO I TRIED TO POST A COMMENT AND SE LITERALLY JUST CRASHED AND SIGNED ME OUT AND THEN I LOST ALL THAT HARD WORKKKKK

Oh well.

Someone remind me to respond later…

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

(All right, here I go 😅)

Rúan felt the ground rumble under his feet, and he jumped nearly half an inch off the ground.

Then a voice that seemed to echo in his head and reverberate around the cavernous room declared, “I’ve been thinking about the next challenge, and it occured to me that several of you are particularly well suited to it. Our resident assassins.”

Without thinking, Rúan yanked Leaghadh from its sheath, holding it firmly in front of him with. He braced his feet, biting his tongue to ignore the throbbing in his injured calf.

“Lorcan–”

A name Rúan did not know.

“Niarok–”

Rúan’s eyes flew to Niarok, whose head was bowed. The man who had saved my life … Bitterness laced through the thought.

“And Siya Aydin.”

Aydin as well? What did Siya mean?

Then chaos broke out. Shouting and weapons flying, people lunging at one another. Rúan staggered back into a corner where the ruckus could not reach him, though he still held Leaghadh firmly in his left hand.

When the tumult subsided, Niarok was holding back a girl a little younger than himself, and Aydin was a few feet away, his entire frame shying away from the two.

Then the girl broke free from Niarok’s grasp and darted down a passageway.

Niarok and Aydin faced each other alone.

Rúan eased forward, his guard up,  his sword ahead of him and trained on both the men.

“Assassins,” he said. It was not a question, nor an accusation. A simple state of fact.

Niarok’s eyes flashed, and Rúan halted, his sword still indecisive about pointing at Niarok or Aydin.

“I have no reason to trust either of you,” he said, “but I too know assassins.”

He swallowed and tried hard to keep a collected demeanour. “Have any of you heard of the names Osløn Hvítur or Yulenna Coalshrike?”

They’re not going to recognise either of them, the prattish voice in his head sneered. You’ve already messed things up — don’t make it worse.

Shut up, the other voice boomed. I’m trying.

Rúan panted, waiting their answers. Leaghadh began to tremble in his grip.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

As Niarok approached Ayden, Ruan appeared in the space between them, his sword bared.

He winced from the pain in his calf.

Niarok winced along with him. He really really really didn’t want to give stitches to the man who clearly felt betrayed already. The needle would just seal that for all of them.

“Assassins,” he said. His voice wasn’t accusing, it wasn’t a question, it held little emotion. He commented on the two men before him as he might the changing of the weather, but his eyes belied the pain underneath.

Niarok felt anger roil in his chest once again, and it must have shown in his eyes because Ruan stopped his approach, his glowing sword dangerously tension.

Niarok focused on keeping his face impassive. He wasn’t angry at Ruan, just the castle, and he didn’t want the man to misinterpret it.

“I have no reason to trust either of you,” Ruan continued, “but I too know assassins.”

Niarok allowed his body to relax slightly. Ruan wanted to talk, not kill.

Ruan swallowed, and though he fought to keep his composure, Niarok could see the hurt and guilt underneath.

“Have any of you heard of the names Osløn Hvítur or Yulenna Coalshrike?”

Ruan’s eyes betrayed his hope, and Niarok was loath to disappoint him. But he wouldn’t lie either.

The sword in Ruan’s hand was trembling, and Niarok felt a dagger of guilt stab his heart.

“No,” he said quietly after a long pause.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Qatar

Niarok was standing in front of him, holding a bundle of dry clothes. He looked at them for a minute, wishing he didn’t have to take them. He reached out and his hands closed on the coarse cloth. His fingers felt warmer, just touching it.

He strode past Niarok into the shadows and pulled the tunic over his head. It felt strange, compared to his shirt and suspenders, and it must have looked as strange as it felt. But it was warm. He wrapped the blanket around  his shoulders. It dangled around his ankles, and he smiled a little ruefully. I look like someone from Parchade. Maybe what this is what they wear in Kjerte.

He walked back to the fire, the blanket swaying. It was a stupid thing to do, go off looking for that sound without telling anyone.

He looked over at Quin, sitting next to Leytera. But it was a worse idea for him to follow me. If he wouldn’t keep sticking his foot in it, maybe he’d still have a left one.

Quin looked up, and their eyes met for an instant. Qatar looked away.

Just then a man came staggering out of the shadows, his leg bleeding.

Quin leaped up, swaying on his one leg and clutching at the girl next to him. His eyes were wide and scared, and he stared at the man’s leg in horror.

Oh, just forget it, little brother!

The girl eased Quin back into a sitting position, and Qatar sighed. good for you little girl. I can’t always be there to knock sense into him.

Niarok, and then the taciturn man with his hand in his pocket went over to the injured man. They didn’t look like they needed any help, so Qatar wrapped the blanket closer around his shoulders.

Time ticked by slowly, and Qatar wondered what was going on at home. It was still summer there, or early fall. He looked around at the stern, dark walls that rose around him. How did I get here?

It became slowly warmer, and eventually Qatar let the blanket fall from his shoulders. this tunic really does look ridiculous.

The floor began to tremble, ever so slightly, and a hum seemed to be in the air. Qatar looked around. What now?

The voice started again. Great. We’ll all love what he has to say.

“I’ve been thinking about the next challenge, and it occurred to me that several of you are particularly well suited to it. Our resident assassins.”

Is that all?

“Lorcan–”

Check.

“Niarok–”

They walk the same, so that makes sense.

“And Siya Aydin.”

Qatar raised an eyebrow. He looks more like a scared rabbit. Maybe he was in charge of the slow poison department.

Everyone looked toward them. Niarok and Aydin were standing together almost behind Qatar, and, almost unconsciously, it seemed, Locran began to drift away from the group, toward them.

Yila sprang, cat-like away from the group, and made for Aydin. every line in her body spelled death, down to the curve of her shoulders. Her hand was on a knife. Niarok stepped in front of her, and a knife sailed from her hand, narrowly missing Aydin’s head.

Qatar’s eyebrows raised even higher.

They struggled for a moment, before she darted off into the shadows of the cave. Niarok looked up. He looked years older, and dead tired.

Their eyes met, and Niarok’s said, So. Now you know.

A stab, almost of pain, shot through Qatar’s mind. Ten short months ago, he and Quin could have stood a room apart and spoken to each other, just like this.

What, are you expecting me to be shocked? None of you plan on killing the rest of us, or you would have by now, and we can’t get away from you, even if we were desperate to. You walk like Locran, anyway.

The man with the injured leg limped toward Niarok, his sword drawn and glowing.

behind you.

Niarok turned to face the man, and Qatar’s eyes drifted to Quin, but he was looking at Niarok, instead. Ten months, little brother. 

he muttered, “Normal hasn’t been gone that long, and it already seems like an eternity since Mama died.”

Since Quin died.

Your life is not your own so keep your hands off it. ~Sherlock Holmes

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

NOOOO I TRIED TO POST A COMMENT AND SE LITERALLY JUST CRASHED AND SIGNED ME OUT AND THEN I LOST ALL THAT HARD WORKKKKK

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you should copy-and-paste every so often, so at least some of it is on your clip-board. 🙂

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@emily-waldorf

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you should copy-and-paste every so often, so at least some of it is on your clip-board.

See, I always do that when I’m writing actual character entries cuz I’ve lost too many sweet moments between characters and been unable to recapture them. But I never do that when I’m just talking. And then of course THAT’S when the computer had to crash. 🙁

It’s fineeeee

Also I’m absolutely loving Qatar and Niarok’s interactions! XD

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

“No.”

The word was not harsh, nor was it meant to be crushing, but it mercilessly extinguished the hope that had, unbeknownst to him, been flaming in Rúan’s chest.

He nearly dropped Leaghadh.

Instead, he lowered his sword slowly, keeping his elbow locked at his hip. He tried to suck in deep breaths through his nose, but instead, whirled around and stormed away, angrily scrubbing away the tears that threatened to spill over.

“Rúan–” Niarok said, but Rúan silenced him with an irritated wave of his hand.

I must find them, he thought. Rescue Yulenna and Mother … and put a spear through Osløn.

Give in, brother,” he mocked under his breath. Who was Osløn to think that they had any relationship at all?

Sure, his mother had been quite flirtatious and bold in her young age, before she married the king, but she had enough common sense to refrain from truly immoral things.

… right?

Sheathing his sword, Rúan plunked himself on the ground and tried to sort all this out, only feeding the boiling frustration by running into dead ends in his reasoning.

(Now I’m doing it again … when I have no clue what to do with my characters, I guess I just slap on an existential crisis. Huh.)

(And I’m sorry if Rúan seems like a brat — he’s gone through … quite a lot, shall we say? He’s normally relaxedly snarky … *what have I done to my baby*)

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@mamaauthoress

(Now I’m doing it again … when I have no clue what to do with my characters, I guess I just slap on an existential crisis. Huh.)

😀 😀 😀 SAMMMMEEEEEE MY FRIEND. Yila keeps having bizarre emotional crises and I have yet to figure out if that’s her character or my boredom… XD

Niarok

“No,” Niarok said quietly. He’d never met either of them.

Ruan’s face fell, and the hope that had been smoldering in his eyes completely disappeared. His sword-arm lowered, and he kept his elbow locked next to his side as he stumbled away.

Niarok lowered his head.

This was turning from a bad dream to a nightmare.

At least before they’d all been able to get along.

(Authors note: @emily-waldorf I moved Qatar and Niarok’s “conversation” to after Ruan.)

He glanced at Qatar, who had been watching him before Ruan appeared.

Now you know. 

He didn’t seem all that concerned. His eyes seemed to communicate something like why would I be shocked? You could have killed all of us by now, and so clearly you don’t want to, and we can’t get away anyway. Besides, you’re similar to Lorcan.

Niarok smirked slightly.

You make a good point.

Niarok turned back to Ayden as Qatar said something to Quin.

“I know you may not believe me,” he said quietly, so no one but Ayden could hear, “But I don’t hate you.”

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

“I’ve been thinking about the next challenge, and it occurred to me that several of you are particularly well suited to it. Our resident assassins.”

Klein raised his eyebrows. This was a new trick this place was trying. But Klein was curious. Given the situation, capable fighters were needed. Assassins were quick and accurate. For now what they might have done was irrelevant.

“Lorcan–”

Klein already knew that.

“Niarok–”

Strange but it made sense. Any medicine taken in sufficient quantities was poison and quite a few poisons were proving to be medicines in the right quantities.

“And Siya Aydin.”

One of the newcomers apparently. Klein hadn’t had time to really see any clues. He did now. Lorcan opened the distance. Tactical. Put all enemies in front of him. Yila rushed Aydin only to be stopped by Niarok. Caution. Two veteran fighters who knew better than to go toe to toe without knowing the other. Yila’s idea was good but flawed. While striking first was a solid strategy, failure could be fatal.

Battle lines had been drawn. Both sides were too scared or worried to proceed or stand down. All that happened was simply entertainment for a psychopath. Something Klein had already seen.

“Idiots, knock it off!” Yelled Klein. “Look at yourselves. You go and try to kill each other just because you learned the other is an assassin like you. After all we’ve gone through. Think about it. Y’all could have been killed a dozen times over but you weren’t. This… entity is trying to pit y’all against each other for sport.”

Klein paused. Everyone was looking at him. Klein froze for a second. His helmet was off. They would tell he wasn’t normal. His cat eyes would show in this light. But he couldn’t stop.

“Since this has proved to be an issue, lets eliminate it.”

Stepping forward, Klein looked over everyone. At six foot five, he towered over most. Sitting on the ground, Klein placed his hands on his lap. He hated this idea but he didn’t have a better one.

“My full name is Klein Mattias Gray. I’m a gunnery sergeant in United States Marine Corp, part of the Marine Raiders special forces detachment. I am a biologically enhanced soldier. I am trained as a scout sniper and shock trooper. I’ve been deployed to Iran, Afghanistan, Mars and the Asteroid belt in nearly ten years of service. I have 89 confirmed kills with nearly as many unconfirmed.”

Klein felt very vulnerable fore revealing this much. This better have been worth it.

@denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

calidris
    @calidris

I’m very late, but after this last post I knew I had to rejoin the chaos lol

Basil:

Talking castle, huh. 

Oh great.  So there’s assassins.

“Lorcan–”

Basil raised his eyebrows.  Mmm that one’s not so surprising.  Try again.

“Niarok–”

The herbs!  But he doesn’t know about me yet, so I don’t see why he’d want to kill me.  Anyways, he gave them to everyone, so if it really is poison we’re all going down together –

“And Siya Aydin.”

What, seriously?

Basil wrapped his arms around his knees.

Well, I don’t care how harmless he seemed.  I’m not drinking anything until I see him using those herbs himself.  How much water do I have left?

Somewhere off in the near distance, Niarok and the black haired girl collapsed in a tangled death grip.  Basil shut his eyes.

This is bad.  This is so, so bad. 

But I could probably take them.  They’re all human, right?  I sure hope so.  I can take them if they’re human.  They all look human enough at any rate, so that’s bad news if…if they’re something else.  There’s nothing worse than things that only look human but aren’t.  I shouldn’t risk it.

Well if anyone dies here we’ll know soon enough.  It takes more than swords to kill a machine.

“Idiots, knock it off!” A voice bellowed somewhere up above.  Basil glanced up to see the armored man standing in the middle of the group.  Basil sniffed.

Finally, someone said it.  

“Look at yourselves. You go and try to kill each other just because you learned the other is an assassin like you. After all we’ve gone through. Think about it. Y’all could have been killed a dozen times over but you weren’t. This… entity is trying to pit y’all against each other for sport.”  He paused, his feline eyes gleamed in the firelight.

Basil gasped.  Yes – there it was!

He has cat eyes just like Sasha!

Wait…does that mean…

“Since this has proved to be an issue, lets eliminate it.”  Klein sat down.

“My full name is Klein Mattias Gray. I’m a gunnery sergeant in United States Marine Corp, part of the Marine Raiders special forces detachment. I am a biologically enhanced soldier. I am trained as a scout sniper and shock trooper. I’ve been deployed to Iran, Afghanistan, Mars and the Asteroid belt in nearly ten years of service. I have 89 confirmed kills with nearly as many unconfirmed.”

“Wait, you too?”  Basil flushed as the group turned to stare.  That wasn’t supposed to be loud, but oh well. 

“You said you’re biologically enhanced, so I had to ask.  You’re not involved with Project Goldenseal, are you?”  He frowned.  But I’ve never heard of a United States before, whatever that is.  Oh well.

Basil sniffed, burying his chin in his knees.  Misu’s looking at me.  The man was staring straight at him now, looking at him with some mix of vague familiarity and a deep, untouchable sorrow.  He smiled sadly.

“You too?”

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

*screams extremely loudly and collapses to the floor in a fiery heap*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH rose-colored-fancy YOU’VE KILLED ME INSIDEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My one and only goal XD

BUT OHMYGOODNESS HOW DO YOU ALWAYS SURPASS EXPECTATIONS BY THAT MUCH????? THAT’S THE GREATEST!!!!!

Oh, this is going to be a mess… XD

Oh well.

Someone remind me to respond later…

HOW DARE IT!!!???

LOL, same!! I have several boxes of existential crisises for whenever I don’t have anything to write about. They’re alphabetized! XD Aydin has more than the others but they all have some.

(And I’m sorry if Rúan seems like a brat — he’s gone through … quite a lot, shall we say? He’s normally relaxedly snarky … *what have I done to my baby*)

This castle is meant to push them to their limits and we’re all doing that beautifully.

Goodness, I say that just as I remember how outright scary Aydin gets when he’s mad. It seldom happens but it’s going to be chaos… He’s usually sweeter than this, he’s just really mad at the castle for dredging up a painful past.

What, seriously?

Qatar raised an eyebrow. He looks more like a scared rabbit.

I love how that’s everyone’s reaction to Aydin being an assassin XD They’re not wrong though, but he’s a very different person when he’s mad. Which I kind of like, it’s cool.

So far, most of his actions were based on ‘don’t let anyone find out’ and ‘don’t get anyone angry’ and now both of those are out the window so he changes quite a lot. Hmm, this will be cool!!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

I know you’re reading these and I’m warning you now, you have too much background context and you’re going to spoil yourself if you read all of this post. You have been warned!! I’ll put in a warning when it starts.

Aydin

They knew. It was all over.

Yila was glaring at me, not with the general dislike of earlier, but with concentrated hatred, her eyes flaming. Just like Liorah’s had, so very often.

And without any warning, I wasn’t scared anymore. It was over. I knew this feeling, it was the exact calm anger that had preceded all my decisions that had gotten me where I was now. This was going to go horribly wrong and there was nothing I could do about it.

I squared my shoulders and crossed my arms, no longer trying to disappear. There was no use. I was as good as dead.

A long knife gleamed in Yila’s hand. She was going to try to throw it at me. I wouldn’t be able to stop her, and in all honesty, I didn’t want to.

Let justice finally be served.

She let go, just as Niarok grabbed her. I looked her straight in her ice blue eyes, so much like Chantara’s.

The knife should have lodged in my chest, instead it whizzed past my head, clattering against the stone wall behind me.

Niarok had saved my life and I hated him for it. I glared at him in a sudden flare of anger. Why did he have to make me suffer longer?

I reached for my knife with my left hand. I wasn’t left handed. I wouldn’t be able to hit anything, but if someone charged me I didn’t want to be unarmed.

I kept the knife low, not threatening, but ready.

Rúan stood, his sword drawn. He was wounded and I was using my non-dominant hand. He’d probably still win because I wasn’t going to attack him.

Yila finally quieted and Niarok let her go. She shot me a final glare of fury which I met with icy indignation, then she turned and ran into one of the tunnels.

Niarok took a step toward me and I stepped back, close enough to the wall that nobody could get behind me but far enough away that I could move easily.

Niarok looked furious but his eyes were more sympathetic when he looked at me. I hated it.

I wasn’t blameless. I had done terrible things. I had a choice and I’d chosen wrong. Everything I’d ever done had been deliberate. I didn’t deserve pity, sympathy or forgiveness.

Niarok didn’t look hostile and I hated that too. He needed to hate me. I deserved it.

“Assassins,” Rúan said, flatly.

“I am not,” I said, each word icy and sharp. My accent was coming through stronger, the vowels short and consonants sharp, the harshness of it accenting my words.

I had been an assassin, but I had burned it out of my blood and carved it out of my bones, I’d bled and suffered not to be one anymore. I wasn’t like them anymore.

“I have no reason to trust either of you,” he said, “but I too know assassins.”

He looked more uncertain than anything but I didn’t break eye contact, looking him straight in the face, forcing him to face me.

“Have any of you heard of the names Osløn Hvítur or Yulenna Coalshrike?”

Of course I had, I knew every assassin who had ever lived. I barely resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

“No,” Niarok said, flatly.

I shook my head but didn’t relax.

Rúan’s shoulders sagged in disappointment. He stumbled back to the wall and sat down again. At least he wasn’t threatening to kill me anymore.

“I know you may not believe me,” Niarok said quietly, “But I don’t hate you.”

I grinned. I had barely smiled since I got here. It was another habit I had picked up from Chantara. I hated how all the people who wanted me dead were a part of me.

“If you don’t see anything wrong with what I did you’re worse than I am.”

He should hate me. It was the right thing to do.

“Idiots, knock it off!” yelled Klein.

They yelling set off a round of memories and I tried to hide the way I flinched.

“Look at yourselves. You go and try to kill each other just because you learned the other is an assassin like you. After all we’ve gone through. Think about it. Y’all could have been killed a dozen times over but you weren’t. This… entity is trying to pit y’all against each other for sport.”

“What’s new?” I said, coldly. It was the cycle of my life.

I didn’t hate Niarok. I hated myself. I hated everything I’d done. The only reason Niarok had been kind to me was because he hadn’t known who I was. He only cared about the perception he had of me.

“Since this has proved to be an issue, lets eliminate it,” Klein finished. He towered over us and I stiffened. I couldn’t see him well in the dim light but something about him was noticeably off.

He sat down, apparently at ease. I was not.

I only understood a few of those words. The only clear part was 89 confirmed kills and ten years of service. He was probably one of the most dangerous people here.

There was a slow silence, only broken by Basil saying something. My mind was still stuck on Klein’s proposal. All secrets in the light.

What did I have to lose? The worst was past. It couldn’t really get worse.

(Okay, Cathy, here come the spoilers!)

I hesitated, what was I supposed to say and what was I supposed to hide.

“Aydin, son of nobody,” I said. I refused to speak my father’s name. He had abandoned me and probably hated me more than anyone else ever had. He didn’t deserve the title.

“Member of the Servane Siya for three years. Assassins,” I said, clarifying. My voice sounded sharp and distant, like I was talking about someone else.

“Head poisoner. Dishonorably expelled on an accusation of sabotage,” I paused, trying to shove down the memories.

“Dishonorably expelled” was a very strong euphemism for what had happened when they’d found out. I got chills at the memory.

“Transferred to the lower spy corps. Worked there for a year,” I said.

“Confirmed kills–” I hestitated, but decided that I honestly didn’t care. “One.”

Responsible for hundreds, but I had only personally taken one life, and it would haunt me until the day I died.

Murderer, traitor, assassin.

I didn’t care what they thought about me. They already hated me. They should. I deserved it.

Well, that was really dark.

One of the most interesting things about Aydin is that he has an extremely strong moral compass but also a really dark history, and the two clash in a way that makes him hate himself.

Also, I’m so sorry, poor Niarok. Aydin isn’t taking friendship overtures well currently XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I wanna post soooo bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But.

I have to do other things.

I shall return in approximately six or seven hours. XD

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

that was cool, though, even if it was dark.

@denali-christianson

I’m gonna have the castle air some more dirty laundry and call out Quin as a murderer. Shall I include Yila, or…?

@rusted-knight
      nice work, hauling off and shouting at them all. It really relieves tension, sometimes!

@Calidris

That was sad!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,531 through 1,545 (of 1,832 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest