fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0 – Room B

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@mamaauthoress

Literally throwing my characters into the room. 😁

Isn’t it fun?! One of the joys of being an author…*smiles contentedly*

Then his face contorted into a pained, pinched scream.

I looked down, and there was a snake with its jaws clamped around his ankle.

Wow, Ruan hasn’t been in the castle for a minute, and he’s already been bitten by a venomous snake. This is clearly not his day. Poor guy. xD

@merieshenanigans

Multitudes of black diamond eyes glimmered out at him from the shadows. Erik pulled out another knife.

Thank goodness he’s got a weapon. Conroy doesn’t have any weapons, and I doubt Ophelia’s hairspray was going to last long against a roomful of snakes. And just for the record, I don’t ever want to see a beheaded snake.

@emily-waldorf

His gift is that of an Empath, which means that he can feel others’ emotions. He’s still in training, so he hasn’t quite mastered it yet. (He’s still confused about what emotions he feels, and it’s hard for him to keep from being overwhelmed, b/c people are feeling things all the time).

So, no hiding things from Tullian. I’m sure that’ll annoy a lot of people. XD Does feeling other people’s feelings make him more emotional? (that was a weird sentence)

CONROY

I tugged on the curtains. They were strong enough. Balancing precariously on the arm of a chair, I grasped the curtains. Before I could begin my climb, four people appeared in the room.

Two crashed onto the table. One just sort of materialized while another entered through a door that promptly shut then disappeared.

I turned away and placed on foot on the stone wall. I pulled myself up and put my other foot on the wall. I took a deep breath and directed every thought to what I was attempting to do.

A hair-raising scream broke my concentration. I instinctively looked towards the area where the scream had come from. It was one of the men who had fallen on the table. He fell back against a couch, his face twisted in pain and fear. I winced in sympathy. Unless he was immune to snake bites, he wouldn’t last long.

Ignoring the tug at my conscience, falling back into my rhythm of pull and step, I tried not to think of everyone else on the ground that were still in danger of the snakes.

There’s not much I can do anyway, I told myself.

Not much? My conscience obviously had decided that now was the time to take me on a guilt trip.

Well, last I checked I couldn’t control snakes, I argued.

You can assist them in climbing up.

Yeah, and get bitten in the process? I don’t think so.

Your smart. You’ll find a way to do it without getting bitten. 

Oh yeah, I’m real convinced now.

Would you rescue Adriel if she was down there?

What do you take me for? A selfish, heartless, cruel creep? She’s my sister, of course I would rescue her. But, those people aren’t my siblings. They’re complete strangers.

Think about it, most of them look pretty powerful. Wouldn’t it be better to not give them a reason to turn on you?

I groaned. “Fine. T-time to embarrass myself. Oh joy,” I muttered. “Hello everyone!” I yelled. “There are poisonous s-snakes on the floor. If you want to escape them, you’ll have t-to climb up these curtains to those ledges. For those who can’t climb, I’ll come up with a way to get you up easily.”

I resumed my climbing, brainstorming ways on how I would make good on my promise.

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@inkhorn

So, no hiding things from Tullian. I’m sure that’ll annoy a lot of people. XD Does feeling other people’s feelings make him more emotional? (that was a weird sentence)

Lol, I understood the sentence. Um, I’m not real sure. When I say he “feels” others’ emotions I guess I mean more that he senses their emotions. He could look at you and instantly know that you’re afraid. He isn’t necessarily afraid himself, at least not in the same way. That’s how a perfect Empath works. Tullian is still in training, and so he will become overwhelmed sometimes, and sometimes he has trouble identifying what emotions he’s sensing. Does that make sense? Cause I can try to rephrase it. I don’t think it’s perfectly cemented in my mind yet, lol.

He is a very sympathetic person, too, though.

Don't cry for me, for I go where music is born ~J.S. Bach

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Tullian

His eyes were adjusting to the light. There were long black slithering things on the floor. Snakes!

So that’s source of the fear.

Just to his left one of the people that had come in with Tullian shrieked. Tullian winced. It wasn’t fear. It was terror. And pain–a snake had latched onto his leg. Tullian tried to slow his breathing.  In. Out. In. Out. It’s okay.

It seemed cruel to be frantically calming himself when someone was in agony–possibly dying–not six feet away from him. The fear in the room heightened so that he was having trouble breathing, even without the injured man.

I wonder if I can feel snakes’ emotions? He started closing his eyes, then snapped them open again. What would that do?

He started toward the injured man, whose flaming red hair seemed to almost glow in the dimness of the room. Another man stood nearby, arms folded, just looking at the contorted face of the injured man. They were faintly similar, though they looked like fire and ice, flaring autumn and frozen winter, side by side.

Tullian frowned.

Hatred. He could feel negative emotions more emphatically than positive ones. The man like ice was seemed to be radiating it.

Tullian glanced nervously at the snakes. I wish Voltemand were here! He could do something about them. Or at least calculate how long this man has to live…

He reached the injured man, and gave him his hand. He pulled him from the couch into a standing position; he seemed weaker already, and resented Tullian’s help.

Tullian glanced at the icy man. Especially in the presence of…that.

@mamaauthoress
    there you go! Whatever you want to change, and take it from here if you like.

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@inkhorn

Isn’t it fun?! One of the joys of being an author…*smiles contentedly*

Ah yess … the joys of being an overlor– er, uh … author 😁

Wow, Ruan hasn’t been in the castle for a minute, and he’s already been bitten by a venomous snake. This is clearly not his day. Poor guy. xD

Yeahhh, he’s not exactly the luckiest guy. I mean, look who he got as a half-brother. 😆

RÚAN:

The pain was nearly as great as the time Osløn hit me with a burst of ice.

The venom was pumping through my veins in a very similar fashion to how the ice had coursed through my body.

I fell, but onto what I couldn’t tell.

I couldn’t feel.

I couldn’t see.

Osløn’s name burst from my lips in an agonised cry for help, even though my pride — somehow unscathed in the torment ensuing — battered against my mind in rebellion.

Don’t ask him for help, of all people! 

But then the knife-like pain in my ankle abated.

My mind was still cloudy with the eerie numbness and ache, but it was slightly better.

Then I was being lifted, placed on something else (rather roughly, but at this point I didn’t care). that seemed higher up.

Oh, wait — I’m standing …

There was some talking … I was with someone other than Osløn …

“Listen to me, rat,” I heard Osløn’s low, drawling voice. He was speaking into my right ear like he’d leant over to hiss this particular message. “Don’t get bitten again. If you do, you’ll die.”

My lips moved slightly, a rattly whisper leaking out. “Wh-why do you … suddenly … care … ?”

“Because it’ll make me look bad if you do.”

@emily-waldorf
    sorry! I had this written out and forgot to post it! 😅

I’ll do Osløn’s POV right after I send this. 👍

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

OSLØN:

Someone approached. Someone unknown.

This young man had brown hair — a rather common colour, in my opinion — and wore a mysterious expression on his face.

He reached for Rúan’s hand, pulling him up into a standing position. My half-brother’s eyes fluttered.

“Who are you?” I demanded of the new person.

Then Rúan winced, his knees buckling slightly. I caught his shoulder, then leaned in to hiss “Don’t get bitten again. If you do, you’ll die.”

“Wh-why …” Rúan rasped, “do you … suddenly … care … ?”

I DON’T care.

I huffed. “Because it’ll make me look bad if you do.”

Turning to the man, I snapped, “I asked your name.”

@emily-waldorf
    made it simple! 😊 If you’d like anything changed, go ahead!

Also

They were faintly similar, though they looked like fire and ice, flaring autumn and frozen winter, side by side.

THIS IS SUCH A COOL DESCRIPTION

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@emily-waldorf

I see. So he senses instead of feels. That makes sense (no pun intended xD).

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him. -Tolkien

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

I see. So he senses instead of feels. That makes sense (no pun intended xD).

Yes, senses. I keep saying “feels”…bah. It should be great fun to write, though. 🙂

Not intended, maybe, but excepted with pleasure!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Emily Waldorf.

Merie
    @merieshenanigans

@inkhorn

Thank goodness he’s got a weapon. Conroy doesn’t have any weapons, and I doubt Ophelia’s hairspray was going to last long against a roomful of snakes. And just for the record, I don’t ever want to see a beheaded snake.

Hahaha, he carries knives around with him for a reason. Dealing with venomous snakes actually happens to be his forte xD (Never mind all the times he’s been bitten in order to learn…)

@emily-waldorf

Yes, senses. I keep saying “feels”…bah. It should be great fun to write, though. 🙂

That sounds like a really interesting take on the “empathy” ability!

<b>ERIK</b>

The decapitated snake twitched, making him jump back, and then it exploded into a puff of glittery pink smoke.

How odd. He looked into the room. Three men stood there rather uncertainly. One of them still had a snake attached to his ankle.

Harsh words traveled between them, but there wasn’t time to politely ask what was going on. Without thinking, he hurled the knife in his left hand across the room.

His aim was a bit off, but the snake’s long body fell cleanly from its head, pinned to the floor by the blade. Both the head and the body exploded into that glittery pink smoke–and to his utter dismay, so did his knife.

“Mel!” he cried.

When the people looked over at him, he shoved the thought of his beloved knife out of his mind and said by way of explanation, “My apologies for interrupting you, friends. The snake exploded into pink glitter.”

@mamaauthoress
    the snake was still on Rúan’s leg, but I have no idea how to remove a biting snake, and Erik’s hobby is rescuing people from venomous snakes, so… that happened xD

~ always be a happy camper ~

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Whew, I’ve fallen behind some! Let me see if I can catch up…

Ophelia

Two people fell from the roof and two people came in through the door. I smiled. More friends, this kept getting better. The snakes were rather a downside, but I’d survive that too.

Conroy’s idea to climb the curtains sounded like a fantastic solution. I jumped from the armchair. I decidedly felt something slippery beneath my heels, but my shoes were high enough that I wasn’t in a direct threat. I grinned.

“I never knew these shoes were so practical,” I said, admiringly.

“They’re not, move!” Athena said. She climbed from one armchair to the next, like we were playing “the floor is lava.” That had been fun.

I ran to the curtains, apologizing as I dodged around the snakes. I didn’t want to step on them.

The curtain-rods were high and far from the wall. I gave the curtains a good yank to make sure they wouldn’t come down. They seemed sturdy enough.

I climbed on to the windowsill and reached up. I could just grip the curtain rods. I frowned, this was going to be harder than I’d thought. I gritted my teeth and pulled myself up. My arms instantly started to hurt, but I managed to get my knee on the rod. Careful not to look down, I turned around so I was sitting on the curtain rod, right on the support.

“That wasn’t too hard,” I said, cheerily. My breath was still trembling but I wasn’t going to let on.

Four men were still standing in the middle of the room, talking.

“I think you should get up on something,” I called out, cheerfully.

Honestly, I’m impressed by how little Ophelia cares XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@merieshenanigans actually, Osløn forcibly removed the snake, I just didn’t make it clear; I apologise. 😅

But then the knife-like pain in my ankle abated.

My mind was still cloudy with the eerie numbness and ache, but it was slightly better.

It was here ^^

Merie
    @merieshenanigans

@mamaauthoress

actually, Osløn forcibly removed the snake, I just didn’t make it clear; I apologise. 😅

Ooh, I see! I’ll just edit it so he killed the snake then. Or it just puffed into smoke.

~ always be a happy camper ~

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Tullian

“Who are you?” growled the man with white hair. They looked so similar…

Must be related.

The fire-haired man reeled; his knees began to buckle. The one with white hair stepped briskly over to him and caught him—none too gently—by the shoulder.

He could feel the injured man tense as his relative touched him. That wince would make the pain worse. I gritted my teeth.

“Listen to me, rat!” the white-haired man hissed. “Don’t get bitten again. If you do, you’ll die.”

That hurt. Almost worse than the snake bite. That tone, words like that—

Bet he’s used to it. That makes it worse. That would make the pain go almost unrecognized, by now. Harder to cure something you’re used to.

The red-haired man stammered, “Wh-why …do you … suddenly … care … ?”

“Because it’ll make me look bad if you do.” Snapped the relative.

Tullian was surprised: he didn’t usually feel like hitting people. He glanced at him out of the corner of his eye. Too big; used to fighting. It wouldn’t help anyway. The hurt man buckled again. His head must be spinning.

Tullian put his hand under the man’s arm, trying not to let the other’s attitude nettle him. That will only hurt him worse.

He glanced up. He didn’t even have to concentrate to feel the panic in the room. At least this man’s accident was keeping his mind busy.

The white-haired man was growling something to him. “I asked your name?”

What’s it to you?

“Tullian,” he grunted. The relative still had his hand on the redhead’s shoulder, but he wasn’t helping lift him. If anything he was making him more heavy. The redhead was getting heavier by the second. He’ll pass out soon.

“Yours?”

Tullian’s chest heaved, and he resisted the urge to back away. Master Irrelis says hatred is contagious. It certainly felt like a disease when it was standing so close to Tullian.

Just then the man sagged. Tullian caught him, but he was a giant of a man and his brother–

It must be a brother. There’s something that feels like it.

His brother could lift him more easily than Tullian could, and both of them together easier still.

“You gonna help move your brother, or will that make you look bad, too?”

That wasn’t going to make him any happier, but it was better than punching the man.

@mamaauthoress
    as always, change whatever.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Emily Waldorf.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Oh gosh, I’ve sorely neglected this castle 😭😭 I’ll see if I can convince my brats to do something soon!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@rose-colored-fancy you aren’t the only one who totally forgot this place existed. *facepalm* I’ll try to get into Conroy’s head. I should have more time since I finished a particularly hard chapter in math. XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@inkhorn

@mamaauthoress

@merieshenanigans

@emily-waldorf

@calidris

I’m going to try to revive the castle! I missed it!

Athena

Those idiots were just standing around and not doing anything. Did they want to die? If they did, I wished they’d do it where it wouldn’t be such a mess.

The white-haired man was supporting the red-haired man, though neither of them looked happy about it. The snake bite was the biggest issue here, but standing around sure wasn’t helping it.

I stood on the chair and glowered at all of them. They were incredibly inefficient and foolish, and those were two things I detested.

“Get him onto one of the chairs first, then yourselves.”

I surveyed the snake bite, the basic first aid running through my mind. Keep the bite lower than the heart, clean it, and apply a pressure bandage. I could do it. I didn’t particularly want to, but I would if it came down to it.

They just stared back at me. I squared my shoulders and glared down at them. They were all tall men, but I was standing on a chair and besides that, I was frustrated at the entire situation. I had the moral and literal high ground.

“Some time today is preferable,” I suggested dryly.

Ophelia was still sitting on the curtain rod, swinging her legs and peering down at us curiously. She would be safe, and more than that, out of the way.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest