fb

Fantasy Writers

Calling All Who Know (or are learning) Latin (NOT a dead language)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

Salvete fellow latin disupuli (I know I miss-spelled that, but I’m too lazy to go look it up in my textbook)

@sparrowhawke

@wingiby-iggiby

@(anybody else who knows latin)

So, I’m learning Latin (note to everybody in my class: Latin is NOT a dead language and anyone who calls it thus, I shall have words with you….) and I know of at least two others who know/are-learning it (see above). If you would like to discuss this amazing and definitely NOT dead language (again, this is pointed at you, kids-in-my-class-who-don’t-appreciate-latin), please join!

~Kylie

"Bha e fhathast. Agus bha e air a ghràdh." -Am Maor agus an Rìgh Wolf

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

Salve amica!

How long have you been studying Latin? I’m in my sixth year and am translating Cicero. I’m also going to be do the National Latin Exam this week. Fingers crossed I’ll be able to maintain my perfect streak!

Also, I have a shirt that says, “Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua” so you can try that on the kids in your class, lol.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

I was learning Latin! I really enjoyed it, but my brother who was doing it with me did NOT. Then my mom kinda tapered off, so I don’t know much. But if I started learning it again, I’d prob pick up where I left off!

I’m in my sixth year and am translating Cicero.

That is amazing! I wish I was that good lol!

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

Salvete!  Linguam Latinam disco, et non mortuam est.

That probably wasn’t correct, but I’m only a Latin 4, so to be expected I guess.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@beth20

You definitely should pick it up again sometime! I think Duolingo teaches it now, but I don’t how well they do it.

@sklarynn

Just change “mortuam” to “mortua”, and I think it’ll be right 🙂

Also, I LOVE your profile pic. Owls are one of my favorite animals.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@sparrowhawke Yeah, I should! Is Duolingo only a mobile app, or can it be desktop?

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@beth20

I’ve used it on desktop.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

I’ve used it on desktop.

Okay, cool!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@kylie-wingfeather

@beth20

@sparrowhawke

@skylarynn

Hello, y’all! I studied Latin last year and it’s not a dead language. I think we can all agree on that XD I passed my exam last year, so I’m not studying it anymore, but I still find myself muttering “Baro, stultus!” at people and getting way too excited when I can translate Latin ‘in the wild’.

Do any of y’all have a favorite Latin phrase/quote?

My favorite is “Per aspera ad astra”.

A close second is when Ovidius said in the Trista “I gave it (my writing) to the fire so it would be improved.” Which is honestly just a summary of my thoughts while editing XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

Volo necare aliquid, especially when frustrated or surrounded by idiots

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

Do any of y’all have a favorite Latin phrase/quote?

Hi! Veni, vidi, vici

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

O tempora, O mores.

Post tenebras lux.

In somnis veritas.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Mel
    @melodyjoy

@kylie-wingfeather

Hi! I started learning some latin last school year, but the grade I’m in now doesn’t teach it. I haven’t reviewed it in quite a long time, and through our virtual school, I kinda lost it.  We went through mostly verb conjugation charts and vocabulary lists.

MEL

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@melodyjoy

Ah, verb conjugations. I have “fond” memories of those XD They’re one of the things you really have to memorize though! I remember chanting them to memorize them and practically convincing my entire family I was insane XD

The declinations are worse, honestly. I don’t know why they decided to have five, though. I didn’t memorize them as well as I should and I completely blanked on the third declination during my exam XD That was awkward XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest