fb

Your Story’s Big Questions

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Your Story’s Big Questions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Zee
    @zee

I think one way of looking at a story is to see it as a series of questions you’re asking, and then answering. It’s helpful, for me at least, to see it that way, because it helps me stay on track and avoid leaving out major things. The questions could be about actual story events, about how characters feel about, and react to, those events, about the overarching themes or purposes for the story…

If you had to boil your current story down to a handful of questions (and answers), what would they be?

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@zee  You know, in a way, I do the same thing to help myself stay on track. My current story is confusing at the moment, but I’ll try…

One of the biggest questions is, What’s the difference, and when is the time for, justice or mercy? 

After you die, what legacy are you going to leave? In my story, this is illustrated by a certain room, with the armor from every king that ruled that country, hanging on the wall. Each piece tells the story of it’s bearer through cracks and dents and emblems.

Can love and trust really conquer lies and hatred?

That’s all I can think of at the moment. Also Zee, you ask some really good questions. I’ve found some of your threads to be really thoughtful and helpful. Thanks.

Not all who wander are lost.

Zee
    @zee

Great questions, @arindown! You could almost build a reverse pyramid with one or two of your biggest thematic questions at the top (or bottom) widening out into more specific questions like, How is so-and-so going to deal with his grandfather’s death? Does he feel he’ll ever be able to “fit” the armor the old man left hanging on the wall? Does he really want to? etc.

Dakota
    @dakota

@zee Cool thread. And helpful too.

Let’s see . . .

What will never fail me?
    Who can I always trust in?
    Will I always be left with this hole in my heart?

The first two have obvious answers to us as Christians, even though sometimes in the way we will we tend to forget that.

The third one – I would say the answer is this; God is in control. He is my Father and he holds me in the palm of his hand. I must find my ultimate satisfaction in Him. He can use this pain to grow me stronger, braver, closer to Him. If He chooses to heal it, praise His name. If not, praise His name. The Lord gives, the Lord takes away; Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Psalm 119:11
    Your word I have hidden in my heart,
    That I might not sin against You.

Zee
    @zee

Those questions sound like a story I would want to read, @dakota. What’s the genre, and what’s it about?

Dakota
    @dakota

@zee

I guess the genre the contemporary Christian. It’s about a girl growing through most of her younger years without her father and going through 10 years of her life looking for a father-figure.

Psalm 119:11
    Your word I have hidden in my heart,
    That I might not sin against You.

Maya Joelle
    @mayajoelle

Ooh, what a fun idea! *thinks* Okay, these are all from my MC’s POV:

Who am I? Who is my family? Do I have to be like them?
    Can I be good if my parent was a traitor? Do I *want* to be good?
    Will I ever be truly known and appreciated? Can I live with it if I am not?

And oh, aghh, answers. Well. #1 is a ton of spoilers, but basically the answer is no, you don’t have to be like your family. (Especially not if their legacy is less-than-nice.) #2 is yes and yes, but what a long time it’s going to take him to learn that. And #3… it’s gonna take a few books for any of that to play out.

fear no evil | may evil fear you

Sam M
    @sam-m

@zee Thanks for posting this thread! I really like this. Here’s mine:

How should you treat an enemy?

What does it mean to love an enemy?

What is the difference between justice and revenge?

What is forgiveness?

How can a person forgive someone else?

How can a person forgive themselves and/or accept forgiveness from someone else?

Zee
    @zee

Great questions, @mayajoelle and @sam-m. For my very much in progress WIP, I think I’d have to say the main questions are:

What’s the difference between taking a stand for what’s right and needlessly endangering yourself?

When does a loved one cease to deserve your trust?

We say God is enough, but is God really enough?

And of course, What’s going to happen next?

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

Some of my thematic questions are, How do I know what’s right? What if my most trusted companions tell me to do something, but I still feel guilty for doing it?

And then there are plot questions loaded with tension. <i>What does the talking sword really want? How far will Anya go to resurrect her husband? What will Keylori sacrifice in order to attain peace?</i>

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Maya Joelle
    @mayajoelle

@sam-m “What is the difference between justice and revenge?” is probably my favorite of those… I would love to see how you answer that!

@zee
    “What’s going to happen next?” is a very relatable question XD

@toklaham-veruzia
    What does the talking sword want?

fear no evil | may evil fear you

Ally Renee
    @ally-renee

@zee

Ooo, I like this idea! Hmm, I think the big questions my main female character in my novel keeps asking herself are these: <i>Can I trust my mother even though she has lied to me about significant parts of my life? How can I be who the people want me to be when I know I am too inadequate? What if I fail, which would inevitably destroy everyone I love and all that I know?</i>

Now to answer these without technically spoiling the entire first book of the my Elemental series… she can trust her mother by focusing on all that her mother did to protect her from the evil world. She will train and train, preparing herself for what she was born to do. And I won’t answer the last one for fear of spoiling the book.

… did I do this correctly? XD

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future." ~ Proverbs 31:25

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest