You see, I'm new here, and I don't have a clue who you are.

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself You see, I'm new here, and I don't have a clue who you are.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tinuviel 2 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Tinuviel
    @tinuviel

…but I’d love to get to know you!

Unfortunately, my real name is not Tinuviel. I’m Laura, a 20-year-old Christian writer. I live a pretty full life apart from writing, and often find it difficult to find the time to write and grow as a writer–thus, Story Embers! I’ve heard about this site for a long time, so I’m excited to be here!

I began writing when I was nine years old, and became a Christian two years later. Since then, they’ve always gone hand-in-hand for me. I could not imagine writing without my Christian worldview! J.R.R. Tolkien’s books were some of the first chapter books I ever read, and I have always been heavily influenced by his writing and fantasy. My two main genres are fantasy and historical fiction.

Besides writing novels, I enjoy to I pen pal, write flash-fiction and short stories, read, dabble in costume design/pattern drafting and sewing, garden, babysit for families at our church, and train my dog. I have long held the opinion that I have way too many hobbies.

I am happy to be here. Please tell me a bit about yourself, and ask me anything you like! I’m excited to meet you all!

Laura Waldorf. Christian, writer, dreamer, sub-creator of beauty.

August Grace
      @august-grace

Hello @tinuviel

Wow! Nice to meet you! I totally understand why you have so many hobbies!  I’m kinda proud that I love to and can do so many things. It keeps me busy. 🙂

Awesome! I write fantasy too! Do you have a WIP? If I may ask, what is it about?

I’m a newbie here too, but welcome to SE! It’s so great that you are loving it already!

Aussie contortionist, acrobat, photographer, filmmaker, runner, musician and health fanatic.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
        @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@tinuviel

Hi! Welcome!

First of all, all of your hobbies sound awsome!!

I write historical fiction as well! In fact there’s a thread on here just for historical fictioners

https://storyembers.org/forums/topic/for-all-the-historical-fictioners/page/28/ if you’re interested.

What kind of dog do you have?

We have a garden as well! And oldest sister does a lot of sewing.

How many/if any siblings do you have?

Where are you from?

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Tinuviel
          @tinuviel

Hello @tinuviel Wow! Nice to meet you! I totally understand why you have so many hobbies! I’m kinda proud that I love to and can do so many things. It keeps me busy. 🙂 Awesome! I write fantasy too! Do you have a WIP? If I may ask, what is it about? I’m a newbie here too, but welcome to SE! It’s so great that you are loving it already!

Thanks for the welcome @august-grace !

I’m editing right now! It is a dreadful mishmash–I started with historical fiction and ended up writing fantasy :D. So I’m now trying to make it into fantasy, or maybe a sort of fantasy/historical fiction crossover…we’ll see. Anyway, very briefly it’s about a normal girl, living a normal life in Anywheretown who accidentally finds a dragon which she proceeds to train, and eventually rides into battle. Most of the people around her basically think she’s crazy, so she’s kind of on her own a lot. I’m still trying to figure out the religious part of it. Since it started as historical fiction, it was obviously Christian, and now I’m trying to see how that works in a fantasy setting. Editing can get a bit old sometimes, but I really love it! What are you currently working on?

Tinuviel
            @tinuviel

@tinuviel Hi! Welcome! First of all, all of your hobbies sound awsome!! I write historical fiction as well! In fact there’s a thread on here just for historical fictioners https://storyembers.org/forums/topic/for-all-the-historical-fictioners/page/28/ if you’re interested. What kind of dog do you have? We have a garden as well! And oldest sister does a lot of sewing. How many/if any siblings do you have? Where are you from?

Thank you @emberynus-the-dragonslayer Oooh, I’ll have to look into the thread! I just love the research and everything that goes into historical fiction. Do you have a favorite time period to write in? I just recently set aside a book from the Elizabethan era. I’m definitely coming back to it, because it was a ton of fun to write in that time, but we needed a break from each other.

My dog is a border collie/springer spaniel cross…and probably crossed a few more ways, but that’s what we were told XD. He’s quite a bit like a border collie in his mannerisms and intelligence, so he definitely keeps me on my toes!

I am from Minnesota and I have nine siblings! How about you?

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
              @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@tinuviel

You’re welcome! I enjoy writing in the Victorian era, or back in Roman times.

Aww. . . he sounds so cute!! I love border collies!

I’m from Kentucky and I have five siblings.

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Chelsea R.H.
                @seekjustice

@tinuviel

Hello there! I’m SeekJustice 🙂

Your dog sounds pretty awesome! I’m actually studying dog training and behaviour and will graduate next year as a professional dog trainer. My family has a Labradot named Jack and my dog, who is a Mastiff x (maybe cross Great Dane, or American Staffy. I’m not sure).

I also love historical fiction and I’m the unofficial ringleader of the historical fictioners’ thread 🙂 Australian history is my favourite topic for his-fic books.

Other than Tolkien ( 😀 ) who are some of your favourite authors?

Māhalo kēia huiʻana

Tinuviel
                @tinuviel

Thank you @seekjustice

Oh, dog training? That sounds like a very fun and interesting line of study! Any ideas on what to do with territorial fear aggression towards strangers? :). It is the only thing I absolutely have been unable to get my dog to cooperate on.

Nice! I will probably see you at the historical fiction thread, then! My favourite authors…oh dear XD. It really depends on the day and what mood I’m in, but here’s a sampling: Jane Austen, Irene Hunt, Laura Ingalls Wilder, O. Henry, C. S. Lewis, Dorothy Sayers, James Herriot…the list really goes on and on. What are some of yours?

August Grace
                  @august-grace

@tinuviel

Hello and G’day!

Wow your WIP sounds awesome! Mine… ahem *coughs*  is about a half blind boy (he is also going blind in his only eye) who has been ‘deserted’ by his father and his mother died when he was little. He befriends a Mexican girl and together they discover a cipher that will lead them to what their hearts need most. Chase (my MC) believes it will lead to healing from his emotional and physical pain. Eventually the cipher leads the Mexican girl (Maria) and Chase into another world and a race against time begins. They need to kill the Shadow Keeper (the dragon) who controls the darkness that spreads throughout the land each day… otherwise they and the followers of good will turn into living statues of diamond. (they still breath, and are still alive, except they are trapped for eternity.)

I know this sounds really weird… but I guess it should. Fantasy is know for being ‘weird’. I’m not exactly sure what to call it though.

If you could spend one day with any author (back in time as well), who would it be? My answer would probably be C.G. Drews, Nadine Brandes or C.S. Lewis. (I can’t just pick one… :))

Aussie contortionist, acrobat, photographer, filmmaker, runner, musician and health fanatic.

Tinuviel
                    @tinuviel

@august-grace oh wow! That sounds like it could be really epic! I am newish to fantasy, so mine is a bit less fantastic than some, I guess. Like I said, it might be a bit of a fantasy/historical fiction cross…if that even works…How long have you had that story in the works?

Hard question! Tolkien is by far my favorite author, but I don’t think I’d want to hang out with him. Jane Austen is one who comes to mind, but I have a feeling we’d neither of us say much, and it would just be awkward, and then I would turn into a humorous character sketch in her books. C. S. Lewis would be really cool! If I had to choose just one though, I’d say Laura Ingalls Wilder. I actually live near where she grew up, so there’s that connection, I LOVE her skill as a writer and the lovely word pictures she painted, and she just seemed like such a beautiful, down-to-earth lady who had a lot of wisdom and laughter to share.

Banana Peacock Warrior
                      @banana-peacock-warrior

Hi, @tinuviel! Nice to meet you! Your hobbies sound so awesome… I love hearing about ‘out-of-the-ordinary’ hobbies people have. Everyone’s so unique!!!

Yaaay another fantasy writer! 😉 I get you with the cross between his-fic and fantasy… I mean, I would never write full out his-fic – I wouldn’t probably survive despite my friend’s effort to make me try it – but I have a good couple stories/WIP’s that are kinda like a cross between them. Honestly… what do you think makes it a cross? I think it’s pretty much when you bring fantasy aspects into the historical real world… maybe? XD

Your WIP sounds cool! There are SO MANY possibilities with fantastical pieces! XD

Well, again, nice to meet you! I hope to see you more on SE!

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
                        ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

Tinuviel
                        @tinuviel

@banana-peacock-warrior thanks so much!

That is pretty much exactly my idea when it comes to his-fic/fantasy…it was a story that actually was set in the real world (since I firmly believe that dragonlike creatures once existed), but it just…had a really strange flavour and I didn’t know EXACTLY where I wanted it/what time period I wanted it in, so I just changed it to fantasy and added some other cool elements and races that I had been keeping back because…historical fiction! I still don’t have magic, though. It’s funny, because I LOVE Tolkien and have no problem AT ALL reading about that kind of magic, yet I get extremely uncomfortable writing it so I did have to leave most of it out. It is what it is. Maybe someday I’ll see my way clear to write magic, but until then I think it is safer for me to just avoid it 🙂

August Grace
                          @august-grace

@tinuviel

Hey!

How’s it going?

My story has been in the works for about a year now. It started off completely different and then I had a writing break and somehow almost stopped writing (inside I was equally terrified). But the good news is I’M STILL WRITING…so ahem….yeah. I then decided to take the book and smush it together with a new idea. and BOOM out came this surprisingly addictive world that feels so real to me. This book has been such a joy to write because it actually has a purpose. I know that sounds weird because every book has a purpose. But this one has been special in the way that I find an actual escape route from life. So, yeah, it will mean a lot to me when it get’s published.

Awww! Thanks! I love it on SE that people can actually give you positive feedback about writing ideas… cos a couple of weeks I ago, I kinda felt like my WIP’s plot etc. was trash. Thanks for being so positive!

Banana Peacock Warrior
                            @banana-peacock-warrior

@tinuviel: Yup; sounds good to me! That’s the great thing about being an author… you can do so many things and just be like “eh- that’s what’s normal in my world!” XD

Odd question: but what makes writing about magic so uncomfortable for you? (You don’t have to answer but I was just curious. 😉 ) I’ve never written a story with straight up magic before, so I was just wondering.

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
                              ‭‭Psalm‬ ‭94:19‬ ‭

Tinuviel
                              @tinuviel

@august-grace I am so happy you are back on track with your writing project! I have definitely experienced the drop in productivity because of a lack of faith in your plot and/or a lack of direction. It is rather depressing :(. I had a time when I was editing that I didn’t write any new material for two whole years, and it was terrible. I am definitely not letting that happen this edit!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest