fb

Writing Styles

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Writing Styles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

I have always heard of writing styles, but I’ve never actually went into deep research about it.

So, do writing styles have certain names for them or what? Or do they not? I had always thought writing styles might be interesting, so I’m curious about how they work. Is there this whole big vocabulary thing, or is it just simple and unique to how a person writes their story?

And if you happen to know anybody who’s really good or interested in them, please tag them for me. (Also, does anyone know my writing style? I have no idea what it is. But if you don’t, that’s okay.)

Anyway, the ‘writing style thought’ had all the sudden one very day caught my interest, and now I want to know more about that.

Thanks for your time.

– Andrew

@evelyn
    , @wordsmith @the-fledgling-artist @nuetrobolt @jenwriter17 @eden-anderson @anybody-else

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@andrew

If I were to sum up writing style, I would say it like this: Your writing style is how you portray yourself on paper. It’s nothing set…

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

Oh, fun topic! So basically, there are three terms to know if you’re wondering what people are talking about when they discuss a writer’s “style.”

Style itself is a more general concept that refers to the more technical aspects of how something is written, and has a lot more to do with the application of the writing (e.g. academic, technical, various types of fiction and nonfiction, etc.) than it has to do with the writer. There’s a more detailed explanation of style in this article I wrote for SE a few months ago.

Voice is the way that a writer’s style is unique to them…like @wordsmith said (beautifully, I might add), it’s how you portray yourself on paper.

Tone is also a term you might hear in a discussion about an author’s style, or the style of a particular piece. It refers to the emotion you pick up on between the lines when you read something. For example, you might say Edgar Allen Poe’s tone is sad or bitter, and that Louisa May Alcott wrote with a cheerful, innocent tone, and so and so forth…

I hope that helps! It should at least give you enough info to look into some more. 😀

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@scribbles

Very well said.

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

@wordsmith

Thank you. 🙂 And I really do love that phrasing of yours. It just might end up on a sticky note somewhere.

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@scribbles

Aww… that would be cool.

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@andrew

@scribbles
    covered it 🙂

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@scribbles @wordsmith @jenwriter17

Oh, okay. Thanks! I’ll look into that more.

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.