fb

Writing for money alone?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Writing for money alone?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@hope-ann Oh, yes. That was very poor wording. Whoops!

What I meantΒ is that books, read or written, can give you legitimate experiences that can teach you valuable lessons. It doesn’t replace life in any way, but it can augment it. It lets you face more mind-stretching situations than you would if you didn’t read fiction. You do not actually live fiction though. It is not any accomplishment to read fiction, only to learn from it.

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

In lieu of a real and substantive response, I’m just going to pop in and say that I approve of group hugs and I don’t understand those who shudder and refuse to partake of the Warm and Fuzzy aspects of being human, which is what this thread has (somewhat) become focused on. XD

*enlarges group hug to include all members of this thread, willing or not*

As @kate said, I like this conversation. Kudos to @hope-ann for getting us all started. πŸ˜›

myths don't die

RaeMarie
    @raemarie

@hope-ann I think I’m going to go find that poem again and read it.

INFP-T. Christ follower, music lover, a dreamer of Middle Earth..........

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@raemarie I linked it in my reply. Just click the poem name. πŸ˜›

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@karthmin There are… other aspects to being human than suffocating each other in something like group hugs. *escapes and twists dagger* Other things to life than warm fuzzies too. And just when the logic and such was getting fun. *frowns* If all you feelers start going sentimental on me again…

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Kate Lamb
    @kate

@karthmin don’t listen to @hope-ann. She’s impossible.

I have nothing to add to the conversation except my deepest approval. *stamps it with Deepest Approval*

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@hope-ann You miss the point of our affectionate outburst! We have achieved an admirable balance between logic and emotion, such that we can revel in the depths of a conversation that stimulates the intellect, and then express our appreciation of that stimulation by way of a warm and congenial expression of our feelings! It’s really the best of both worlds!

Because the conversation was “logic and such”, we took delight in it! Sue me for enjoying a stimulating conversation, and then expressing said enjoyment.

πŸ˜›

Now. That’s almost entirely in jest. I understand where you are coming from and for the majority of my life, I was also on the non-hugging side of humanity. Then a young woman came into my life who showed me the value and importance of emotions, and I’ve been a much more balanced, whole person since. Even now that she is no longer in my life, I’ve retained the lessons God taught me through her and have a healthy respect for emotion that I didn’t have a few years ago. It’s a part of me, and it’s a beautiful thing to learn how to express healthily.

Good grief. XD I didn’t intend to lecture so seriously.

And for the record, I’m notΒ sappy, I just cry in sad movies, okay? There’s a difference.

I think.

@kate
    @daeus-lamb @raemarie @wordsmith

To all now: Any conversation that ends in some kind of paradox, cycle, or balance between two extremes is one that I feel has been successful and edifying to all involved. This is one of those conversations.

We all fall on different spots on the spectrum or cycle, and yet we all have the same goal of achieving balance and effectiveness in our journey as Christian individuals and writers. We are not our stories, and our stories are not us; but we are very much in our stories, and our stories reflect us.

Put another way, you cannot divorce a sincere author from their works. There is a certain level of interaction between the two that make it nearly impossible, in that sense, to write only for money (to bring us back to the original question), or to write purely for fun (to bring us to the secondary question).

Another element that I like about this conversation is something that Hope brought out in one of her replies – that even though we will write better in the future, we have to do the best we can now. I like this because it brought a parallel in my mind to our lives as Christians. At the end of our lives, we will be more sanctified than we are now. We will obey Christ more consistently and love Him more fully.

Compared to the promise we have of a more sanctified future, our present failing can be discouraging. But it does not excuse us from living our lives for His glory to the best of our ability now! Our future growth is predicated upon our present failures. You cannot get to the peak of a mountain without beingΒ not on the peak at first.

I’m not trying to paint a dismal picture of the Christian walk. It is a joyous thing, growing brighter and brighter until noonday. But what I am trying to express appreciation for is the integration that I see between the three aspects of us growing as writers, Christians, and individuals. In each area, we are constantly growing, and if we believe the promises of God, we will be better in the future than we are now.

And yet there’s a paradoxical impulse that resolves itself with our present state and pushes us to be the best that we can be in the moment.

If we are approaching life and writing with all of these aspects (self, Christianity, writerness) wrapped up inseparably into one, then I think we will be much more authentic and sincere – in each of those areas.

Concerning what Daeus said about books/writing being a legitimate part of life – I absolutely agree. Simply because we came to a realization through our own writing (like Hope did) or through the writing of another, does not make it any less legitimate or impactful than if we had come across the same realization in ‘real’ life.

There is a sense in which we can say that if we experience something, it is real. Not to say that our experience creates truth or reality, but that our experience of truths, in whatever format we encounter them, are real and valid experiences of the truth.

myths don't die

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@karthmin

Amen brother!

Published author, student in writing, works with HazelGracePress.com

Kate Lamb
    @kate

@Karthmin EXACTLY. ALL OF THAT.

@Hope-ann
    see??? I’m not the only person who cries at sappy movies and thinks/talks/processes like this!! It’s NORMAL. It HAPPENS. It’s an INFP THING. *coughs* For those of you who don’t know, Hope and I are best friends, which means we gleefully take every opportunity to embarrass each other. So don’t worry. We’re all good.

In all seriousness, great thoughts, all of you. I’ve enjoyed this conversation immensely and I love what each one of you brought to it. I haven’t enjoyed myself this much for a while.

@Daeus-lamb
    @wordsmith

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kate

Yay! So glad to hear that.

Real quick… Do you have any relatives in East Texas?

Kate Lamb
    @kate

@wordsmith O.o um, yes, actually. I’m originally from East Texas, and I’ve still got a plethora of cousins down there. Who do you know? πŸ˜›

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kate

Do you know a Jordan Flournoy? Or maybe a Kristen Hay (formerly Flournoy)?

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kate

I live in East Texas.

Kate Lamb
    @kate

@wordsmith *delighted scream* I’m the second oldest daughter of Joshua Flournoy, their oldest brother! Sheesh, the world is small!

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kate

Oh my! I go to church with Kristen, and have met Jordan before, as well as Barb and Tom. This is so cool! When I first saw your name here I was like, “Maybe… Nah! It can’t be.” And now I decide to ask! Wow… I wonder if we’ve ever run into each other.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest