fb

Writing for money alone?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Writing for money alone?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    RaeMarie
    @raemarie

I wasn’t really invited into this conversation, but it caught my eye this morning. 🙂

My mom can not understand why I will not write for money. Any lyrics, stories, fanfiction I get published for fun.

I may one day get paid for my work, but for now I am content with just writing for fun.

When you write for solely money, I believe that your writing can lose its flavor. It no longer can become for enjoyment, because it will be scheduled, required, and possibly a drudgery.

Any thoughts?

INFP-T. Christ follower, music lover, a dreamer of Middle Earth..........

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@raemarie I get where you’re coming from. On the other hand, no one is forcing you to write solely for money!

I want to move from factory work I don’t enjoy to writing. I’ll be more likely to succeed if I write things I don’t necessarily love, but it’s still a million times better than spending nine hours a day moving stuff from one box to another.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@karthmin My ‘theme’ makes for amusing conversations when I try to tell people about it. ‘yeah, I really like the theme of hope. No, it has nothing to do with my name. I just like it is all.’

Though… just writing with nothing in mind? *swallows and shuffles through stacks of outlines* even my ‘fun writing’ has a vague outline of where I’m going to go – in my head if nowhere else. I can’t operate well otherwise.

For me, fun writing is generally something to do to relax after other work is done. More often than not, it’s a snippet that I’ll be able to use in a book somewhere, or it’s part of a character’s backstory or some legend in my world. I guess it depends on the definition of fun too, because I recently wrote a 10k story that was a very loose allegorical legend of John the Baptist, basically encapsulates the whole ‘there is more than you can see’ theme, sets up some character backstories, and was painful *coughs* I mean, umm, touching as well. Not to mention grown ENFP healers are so much fun to write. So… it was written during my ‘fun’ time and was for fun but has a theme and is something I’ll publish as a bonus or some such someday.

And… I was going somewhere with that. *frowns* Not sure where.

But if one is writing with a mission as opposed to just hobby writing, then fun stuff should take second place to the main work. By the same count, writing just to get a break, or whipping up a piece of flash fiction or some such can be both useful to get into your story, characters, and the world, as well as help hone your craft in general.

@raemarie
    Writing just for fun/a hobby isn’t a bad thing. My main reason for publication is not so much the money as it is wanting others to read it. Because while writing can help the author as much as the reader, I do want it to help readers, not just be something I do for myself. And if I’m going to publish, then I’m going to try to learn and market and make a profit. Both because the ‘laborer is worthy of his hire’ and because, if I can make money, it will help me be able to produce better work or market more which will spread the writing to more people. So money can be part of the mission, not just wanting a few extra dollars for your dragon hord. (not that I’ve anything against dragon hords, you understand)

Also, like said, @taylorclogston no one is forcing anyone to write just for money. Now people do need to make a living, be it at a factory or working at Culvers or anything else. Most people don’t actually make a full living off of just writing, and if you wanted to, then you’d need to approach it differently, treating it as a business rather than a mission (there might be overlap, but either business would be your main push with mission on the side or vice versa). So I’m not sure most people could just earn money for writing and write their passion to their heart’s desire. By the same count, I don’t think most people should or would try. They would earn their money by something else, perhaps teaching or mentoring or something unrelated then would write their passion as more a part-time deal with the extra time they have. I think both pursuits can be valid, though I personally would not want to force myself to write just to make a living for fear I’d never be able to write anything else. I’d find a job I enjoyed (currently I’m a manager at Culvers and do writing mentoring) and then write in my spare time and go from there.

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

I’ve been lightly following this discussion, so if this has already been said, please say so, but I don’t think it has been said explicitly.

It’s important to remember the myth of neutrality. There’s a reason it’s called a myth. There is no neutral ground, either someone is for Christ or they are against him. Similarly in writing what we are either displaying truth or not, even if subtly.

If we are writing something that is not evil or crude or dismissive of Christ (suppression of the truth), it is going to be truth. When we write a comedy, even if it never mentions any title of God, or pushes in that direction it can be a wholesome story by portraying truths that God has given.

Remember that any truth an unbeliever uses is being borrowed from God.

So if I write a story about a man who shows certain truth in his life, but I portray him as a fallen human being, even if I never mention God, I am writing about truth. Now if I write about this man as an unbeliever if I portray him as perfectly fine person in the end with no need for anything else, am I ultimately writing truth at that point? Or am I supporting the blindness of man. If in the end the man is in a state of hopelessness though, and I don’t bring any resolution, I am speaking truth about mans state. He can do things that at least appear good, but from his POV there isn’t any faith in God, so I’m speaking truth if I show that he has no hope in the state wherein he lives.

So as a Christian writer, if I’m not writing truth, I am writing lies. I should hope that as a Christian truth will live in the story that I write, because of the grace of God.

I would say that the question is about what are we portraying? If we are portraying truth, even if not explicitly pushing the gospel message, and even if it’s  just a tiny seed meant to make someone think, then it’d be fine.

But the moment truth stops flowing into our writing, maybe we should reevaluate our values. I would hope to never see a Christian writer putting lies into his story, whether on purpose or not, and for whatever reason.

So are we writing lies for money? Or are we writing truth for money? There is no in-between. Our writing can have both (because we are fallen humans not perfect yet), but I think we would all strive to put truth into our stories… Because every presentation of truth is a witness in one way or another.

The myth of neutrality really is a myth.

I hope that didn’t sound too rambley… and I hope it made sense. 🙂

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Great discussion @hope-ann. I agree with @Daeus-lamb and @Karthmin that if I wrote only for money it would kill my soul. *dramatic Feeler swoon*

But I have a bit of a spin-off question. It’s kinda related, kinda not, but I’ve been turning it over and over for several months and I’d love to hear what you people think.

Most (probably all) of us are here because we believe God called us to be writers. As a fourteen-year-old beginner, I had grand visions of locking myself away in a tower and living on bread and water and the souls of my own discarded poems— never rich in money, but endlessly wealthy in my heart.

Growing up, I encountered endless people (and articles… and quotes) who told me it would never work. Writers never get famous. Writers die in the poorhouse. Writers are weird. People don’t like writers; if you write nobody will like you/want to marry you/just generally want to have anything to do with you because it isn’t What People Do.

Some of those are valid concerns.

Most of them are hogwash. (Besides. If you won’t marry me because I’m a writer, I wouldn’t want to marry you anyway. So there.)

So, I learned to roll my eyes at them. But now, at nineteen, wiser in the world, a little more temperate in my dreams (at least outwardly ;P), beginning to understand humanity as a complex whole made up of little cells of people called families, I’ve realized that in pushing those critics away I unconsciously pushed away something much bigger.

In rejecting the naysayers, I essentially put a wall in my brain to block out everything hum-drum associated with them. Such as the necessity of money. The duty we all have to our fellow humans to be engaged in human things. The duty we all have to ourselves to be humans. The joy God means for us to experience in small everyday things, like sitting on the floor and playing endless games of tic-tac-toe with your brother, or curling up on your bed with the little kids all piled around you and reading them a story. Or maybe saying ‘you know what, I need to give writing a break for a while. Let’s go find a job at a local café and see what it’s like to work.’

In short, the question is this. What does it mean to devote ourselves to our calling?

In pushing back against people who say writing is a waste of time, I think a lot of us overcorrect and end up so stubbornly attached to ‘GIVE ME WRITING OR GIVE ME DEATH’ that we kill our own ability to take joy in other things.

Not only is this unhappy for us, it’s unhappy for the people in our lives who love us. Writing is the kind of calling that literally consumes. It’s been said (truly, I think) that a nonwriting writer is a monster courting insanity. It’s addictive. But does devoting ourselves to our calling mean permitting the addiction to consume our lives?

I’m fairly certain this is where a lot of the stereotypical ‘suicidal’ loneliness comes from in artistic circles. We get so used to pushing against a majority world that tells us not to dream that eventually we end up pushing the whole of it out the window and shutting ourselves in our own little bubble where no one can reach us, and all pleas to come back and be sensible and reasonable fall on deaf ears. Is this devotion, or is it childish blindness?

For many writers (myself included) writing is a means of self-actualization. I create my worlds and discover myself or create myself and discover my worlds— never quite sure which. This is one of the many ways I’m convinced that writing is a blessing to the writer as well as the reader. A special way for difficult people to understand themselves and understand the world.

But because we find this gift in writing, does it mean we can’t find it just as well in living life? That perhaps writing was given to us to teach us how to live life more fully, not the other way around?

What do you people think?

@Raemarie
    @wordsmith

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

O.o @kate Can I just say, before actually replying, that your post resonated deep within me. Like, the chord that was struck is still humming. Quite loudly, too.

I must read that again and formulate a coherent reply.

myths don't die

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@kate

First of all–

Writers never get famous. Writers die in the poorhouse. Writers are weird. People don’t like writers; if you write nobody will like you/want to marry you/just generally want to have anything to do with you because it isn’t What People Do.

My new favorite quote.

And now, after that lighthearted splurge, it’s hard for me to feel quite serious enough to really express my thanks for what you said.

Honestly, that’s exactly what I’ve been going through — not that I felt like a societal outcast but I was too fanatical about my writing. It was give me writing or I die.

Thank God though I’m starting to overcome this.

The funny thing though is, I’m still writing almost as much, I haven’t given up on my dreams, and I’m probably even more equipped and excited to be a writer than before. The shift isn’t away from writing, it’s away from idolitry.

My timeline doesn’t rule me (very much) and I’m (more) open to just experiencing what comes.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Martin Detwiler
    @karthmin

@hope-ann You have no idea how close I was to asking if your theme had anything to do with your name. I think I even wrote that out and then thought better of it. 😀 Glad I did, haha!

So I take it that you are more of a plotter than a pantser? Interesting. Also, I’m glad you brought up that most of your fun writing is still connected to your other works, and will probably be incorporated in some form or another later on. I have done that myself, and it’s a quite rewarding feeling. Because you just had fun, wrote what you wanted, and it still helped further your current project.

@wordsmith
    Very good point about the myth of neutrality. Honestly, that adds another dimension to the whole discussion, because if the content of what is written is just as important (perhaps more?) as the motivation, then on some level, who cares if you’re writing for money or not. As long as you’re not trying to write neutrally…

I guess I assumed that writing for money (in the purely materialistic, greedy sense) would co-opt an author from writing the kind of stories that actually contain truth.

I think you bring up a very good point, Wordsmith.

@kate

Okay. So.

Throughout my entire writing life, also starting in my low teens, I have been wrestling with the question, “What does it mean to devote myself to my calling as a writer?” from the other end of the spectrum. Although there were times in my later teen years when writing was nearly the only activity I engaged in (other than school and work), I have usually hovered on the side of writer-who-doesn’t-actually-write-as-much-as-he-should-to-actually-be-called-a-writer. And this has been three parts laziness, two parts intention.

The three parts laziness represent the burgeoning influences of social media, movies/TV shows, and Youtube. Those three, collectively, have consistently robbed me of the time and mental acuity to devote myself to writing over the past couple years. I abjure these influences and am struggling to recover the me that I love from the wreckage they have created. It’s a process. But that’s biography and largely irrelevant to the discussion. I beg pardon.

The two parts intention is the relevant part. Early on in my writing journey, after trying to write a novel right out of the gate, I realized that I wasn’t ready for that. It just wasn’t a good idea for me to try to develop a fantasy series of four novels (or more), a consistent and unique writing style, and a mature philosophy of writing all at the same time. At that point, due to some great outside influences, my own standards for writing had risen to the point that I knew I would never be satisfied with what would result from that. Baby’s First Novel wasn’t going to cut it. I wanted better from myself.

[Note: I am not condoning my own approach; one cannot become good at writing novels without starting somewhere, so there was an element of immaturity in this decision.]

So I backed off from writing any novels and decided to give myself to short stories instead, developing myself as a writer and, most relevant to the discussion, allowing life to develop me as a human.

In particular, I remember one conversation that I had at the time about my writing dreams. I brought up the fact that most authors (historically speaking) did not produce their best and most famous works until middle age, and this was partly because of the fact that they had lived life long enough to understand themselves and humanity just that much better. [Note: I am not certain of the statistical accuracy of that claim; but I think it holds some truth.] So I decided that I was just going to write on the side as a hobby until I got older and was more developed as a person – and then later in life would have the technical skill (from years of writing) and the personal experience (from years of life) to pursue publication and authorship in a more serious manner.

This conveniently got me out of doing hard things in the present, which is not admirable, but I think there was an element of wisdom in my approach. I did not, and still do not, expect to do my best writing now. I will write the best that I can now, but I firmly believe that I will do my best writing later in life, as a result of having lived my life through the lens of a well-developed Christian philosophy of life and writing.

Why?

Because as you said, Kate (though not in the same words): I am a human before I am a writer. Humans exist best within the framework God designed for them: community. Most specifically, this community is family, but also extends to church, friends, neighborhood, etc…

Therefore, I must learn to be a well-developed human before I can be a well-developed writer. I cannot adequately explore the complexity of what it means to be human in God’s world through stories without first having lived life as a human in God’s world. I cannot masterfully present grace and redemption in a story unless I have given and received grace and redemption as a pattern of life for years.

I can do those things now; but not to the degree and with the insight and experience that I will be able to bring to the table later on in life.

Devotion to my calling as a writer, while entailing consistent work given to the craft of writing, is not fulfilled by that alone. The craft of writing is about learning how to put words together in a way that pierces the heart and mind of the reader. But the art of writing requires a holistic approach that extends well beyond the ink and page.

Devotion to my calling as a writer must be rooted in devotion to my calling as a human, or I will be a white-tower hermit, writing my life away without human contact. I may become immensely skilled in the craft of writing, but I am liable to become personally stunted. I would have then allowed my calling to literally become me. At that point, like Sauron’s ring of power, it will shrivel and twist me into an angry shadow of the human that I could have been.

And what would be the result? A technical masterpiece that lacks the heart and vitality of life itself. A travesty of success. The shadow of a flower, with neither scent nor substance.

It would seem, then, from all that I have said about using life (or being human) to inform writing, that I do not agree with your conclusion, that:

…perhaps writing was given to us to teach us how to live life more fully, not the other way around?

But, with some clarification, I could not agree more.  You see, when people read what I have written, I want that experience to teach them how to live life more fully. I think that’s partly why all of us here write. And why should that be any different for me as the author? Just as I wish my writing to urge others to live more fully, I wish to live more fully because I have taken to heart the very things I have written.

What I do not agree with, Kate, is the “not the other way around” part of your statement. On the contrary, I think there is a beautiful symmetry here. If I may modify your conclusion with an addition of my own:

Writing teaches us to live more fully; living teaches us to write more fully.

These two, in tandem, create a positive feedback cycle that I think is quite beautiful, really.

Your [Edit: and @daeus-lamb] personal arc has brought you to one side of that statement; my personal arc has brought me to the other. That’s what I meant by saying that I have wrestled with the same question (how does my calling fit into my life), just from the opposite side of the spectrum.

Honestly, I feel like either half of the modified statement is incomplete without the other, and that’s why what you wrote struck such a chord in me when I read it. It was the missing piece that made things fall into place for a more complete understanding of the place that writing ought to have in my own life. So thank you! 😛

By the way, as a humorous aside, although I’ve encountered all the other arguments against being a writer, I have never really heard the objection that people don’t want to marry writers! Perhaps I have simply never given it any credence because as a writer myself, the idea of marrying another writer is quite attractive. Although, to be honest, I suppose it’s a rather dangerous proposition, all things considered. 😛 Two half-insane parents? I weep for the offspring of such a union. XD

myths don't die

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@karthmin

That’s true. It really is a back and forth cycle. My writing helps my life and my life helps my writing. I think the balance of this changes with seasons of life. My first year of writing was fairly laid back. Recently, I’ve been very ambitious but it’s not where I want to be long term. I want to find a plateau and level out, writing most days but diversifying some too.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

@Daeus-lamb @Karthmin *initiates group hug*

I’m going to indulge my inner Tolkien nerd:

The road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began

Now far ahead the road has gone

And I must follow, if I can

Pursuing it with weary feet

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.

It just felt appropriate. *nods* Because I think it’s beautiful how two of us came from one direction and one of us came from another, and together we make a bigger picture. I’ll stop now before the INTJ kicks me off her thread for unnecessary sappiness. (@hope-ann you know you love it.)

Daeus, I hadn’t consciously seen it as idolatry, so ouch, yeah. *winces* Ouch.

Ouch.

Martin, I can definitely see what you’re saying. I probably would have had a similar story if my parents weren’t an ISTJ and an ISFJ and very much workaholics; a trait they’ve definitely passed down to me. Not always a good one, I’ll be the first to admit. 😛 Even though my natural inclination is to take life slowly as it comes, I’ve always been surrounded by go-getters and I think it made my easy-going personality a little bit anxious and a tad bit insecure. Thus my competitive nature was born and I didn’t give myself time to waste. ;P

I think it’s fascinating how extremes beget extremes. It seems like so much of growing into maturity is veering too far one way, then too far the other, until you get burned out by bumping along on the shoulder and have to make major, much more careful corrections.

I definitely agree about life making you a better writer. It’s a circle, I think, and the more that passes through it the more you’re able to grasp and use.

*nods**dusts hands* I like this conversation.

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@wordsmith That is a good point. And I think, to some extent, an author’s worldview will touch their writing even if they aren’t intentionally writing for a particular theme or cause. Though how much that worldview is in their writing will depend on a number of things (writing a commissioned story for money might not give one the same depth as one’s own story). But like Karthmin pointed out, this doesn’t have to be the case. Someone could write something with a very deep theme for money. I guess there is the assumption there that they would want to write it though, so the idea of if they were getting paid or not wouldn’t be relevant.

@kate
    Just so long as you’re not trying to include me in that group hug.

I think I pretty much just ignored what people thought of writing. Well, part of it was that I had supportive parents and simply didn’t know anyone else, so… My young decision to never publish came when I read about all the tax aspects involved and decided I didn’t want to ever mess with it. (I grew out of that eventually; not that I enjoy taxes, but still…)

Not sure I ever thought someone wouldn’t want to marry a writer. It was a more a ‘well, I guess I’ll marry someone who isn’t a writer and hopefully they’ll be able to understand half my excitement over some death or torture/rescue scene.’ I suppose they’ll have to understand at least a little bit or they’re just going to think me crazy and run the other way in the first place. XD

But writing and life and identity–it was something I would deal with on and off. As some speaker or another said at Realm Makers, ‘you are not your writing.’ Though for a time, I was so wrapped up in the world I’d created for myself, where things ended well(ish) and I could control what was happening (well, mostly) that everything else seemed to fade a bit. Writing was what was important, not everything else.

There were a number of aspects and things that helped me work through that, but one of the lasting ones was the theme of a current WIP, which had a message along the lines of a person’s worth not being found in what they do. Funny, how themes I write always seem to apply to me. But drawing from that, the basic attitude I’ve applied to life is that I’m a writer, but I’m a Christian first. So writing is a tool I use in my mission/life goal. And it may be one of the largest tools I use. But it’s not the only one, and it’s not the life goal itself. That goal is something that should be on my blog, my emails, my interactions with family and friends, etc. Not to say I still don’t have to refocus every now and then, but it helps provide a foundation from which to do so.

@karthmin
    eh, I get puns on my name all the time. Esp. at work. Every time I walk into the kitchen it’s ‘we have hope now; we’re good.’ Though I get to play along and ‘leave them all in despair’ whenever I leave.

And yes, plotter all the way. Random things do pop up in my writing, and I roll with them, but I still have to know the basics of what is happening.

Also

Writing teaches us to live more fully; living teaches us to write more fully.

I love that so much. I guess I’ve sensed it, but never seen it put in words in one place (story of my life). And it is so true; as one grows as a person they have a greater depth of emotion and reality, I guess, that they can add to their writing. I’ve found this true in my own life even in the past year or two.

Though at some point an author does need to just start writing because we’re always going to be learning more and improving, both in the craft of writing and in the emotional/human aspect. Just because something isn’t going to be perfect now, doesn’t mean it can’t still help and teach people.

It is a pain, because the more I learn, the more I can look back at past works and realize I could have made them better (one of the reasons I don’t care for looking at my past published works). Yet at the same time, I waited until I felt like they were of a high enough quality they could match what a reader expected. And even though I knew I’d learn more, they were the best I could do at that time.

And I think that might also be an aspect of just living and being a Christian first, writer second — the idea that we are doing our best, and leaving God to do the rest with our books, instead of waiting until we can write the perfect masterpiece and ‘doing it all ourselves.’ (Note: this doesn’t mean someone should necessarily go publish the first novel they ever wrote because ‘God told them to and I think it will help’. There are things like beta readers and friends who can tell you if it’s horrible and you should probably wait.)

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@hope-ann @karthmin Yes, I do see a case for just writing. It’s the whole cycle thing. Writing teaches us to live which gives us better feedback from life for our writing. Plus, this can definitely be taken to far, but writing/reading can be a legitimate alternate life. I think that’s actually the great strength of fiction — it lets us live many lives and gain wisdom from all of them. I’ve learned a lot about the real world from the real world, but I’ve also learned a lot about the real world simply from standing in front of my laptop in a quiet room and banging on keys.

Not to elevate writing above regular life, it’s just another factor to bring into the mix.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@kate

I’m not one hundred percent sure what your question is, so I’ll just kind of talk about how I’ve found writing, and how it effects me.

First, I’m highly extroverted… Like really really extroverted. And I don’t write because I love writing. I do really enjoy writing, but it’s never been something that I’ve felt was something I couldn’t give up. When I started my blog what it came down to was that I was lonely and looking for a way to meet other people.

I started using writing as a way to find people, I joined the writing community to make friends. And it’s not that I was only writing to find friends… I really wanted to excel at writing (and still do)… I was writing to connect. I learned that the best of writing will connect with people, and that’s what I’ve been striving for.

But I am also not a plotter. I start with a character that typically has an attribute, and then I try to build the story and character around that attribute. When someone asks me about the plot of my story, I will (possibly without fail at all) hesitate. Not only because I don’t know my own plot, but because I don’t want to, until it’s ready to come out. So mostly I don’t tell people what I’m plotting because it creates an expectation that I may not end up wanting to meet. I want to be able to hand them the story and say, “It’s done, enjoy.” I want to be able to connect with them through a really beautiful character.

But I also get to places where my story get’s stuck… and because I don’t try to plot ahead, sometimes I let it rest in my mind until my brain gets an idea where to go. This means I don’t spend as much time writing as I “should”. I probably don’t meet the stereotypical expectations for a writer.

Writing has never been a passion of mine. It’s something I expect myself to grow in… It’s something I get better in, and it makes me sad when I can’t write. But it’t also my goal to make a living off writing.

So yes I have learned a lot about myself through writing, and yes it benefits me… But at the same time it benefits me most when I see it benefit others and almost never do I want to write a work not to share it. And if I’m gonna share it I want it to be great!

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

RaeMarie
    @raemarie

@kate I finally have gotten a chances today to catch up on the conversation here! Sounds like it’s been getting pretty interesting. 🙂 I’m not sure if I am live up to those who have trod this trail before me……….

Okay, so just so I understand the question, what does it mean to devote ourselves to our writing without shutting out the entire world and forget the true meaning of living?

I feel like there is a fine line between…….living life and abandoning our calling as writers and ignoring our lives by becoming involved deeply in writing. And I’m not really sure how to keep in a perfect middle. So……I am going to disappear back into the world of writing a tragedy and I shall observe until a more coherent inspiration hits me. 🙂

And I really hope I wasn’t included in that group hug……………….*shudders* 🙂

INFP-T. Christ follower, music lover, a dreamer of Middle Earth..........

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@daeus-lamb What do you mean by writing being a legitimate alternate life? I’ve a feeling I probably agree… but that can mean so many different things. Especially when it’s so easy to slip into writing and let it take over everything else. I think it’s a very valid and quite large aspect of life for us writers but, like you said, is hardly the whole thing. Not saying a person should never make writing their whole life, but in most cases it’s probably not the best thing to do unless they want to live as a hermit in some unheated cave or are a billionaire with someone to tend to them. Cause you know – people exist and mean something. Also our bodies need things like food, wifi, chocolate, and clothes.

@raemarie
    hey! *waves*

I feel like there is a fine line between…….living life and abandoning our calling as writers and ignoring our lives by becoming involved deeply in writing. And I’m not really sure how to keep in a perfect middle.

It’s really a mindset/focus thing more than what one is actually doing. I was on the other side a year or two back, so I know what you’re talking about. Wrote a poem about it, actually (Between Two Worlds)

Regardless, it has to do where one’s focus is more than how much one writes. One can be so wrapped up in writing that everything else seems distant and… less real, in a sense. You can have a job and do any number of things, all with your mind and spare minutes wrapped up in writing and end up being the worse for it. Or you can be focused on people and life in general, drawing from it while treating writing like a ‘job’ where they sit down for an hour or two each day and work.

It all boils down to focus. Is one’s focus on the writing or does it stretch beyond that? Because we need to be focused on who we are as Christians first. And for most of us here, a large part of that includes writing. But we need to put writing in its proper place. Even if we have a grand mission of showing truth to others through our writing, we can’t ignore the ones we are trying to help while pounding out words to show them the truths that we are letting fall by the side in our own life.

So… it’s not really a fine line. It’s a mindset shift. And how one treats/views writing depends on where one’s focus is, and if one has made writing their whole life or has focused their life on Christ and then taken up writing to use as a weapon or tool for His cause.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest