fb

Writing Buddy?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Writing Buddy?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@ladyjoy

Here’s the blurb of the project I’m writing for NaNoWriMo:

Dragon ink allows writers to set history in stone–or to change it. Only the most skilled and trustworthy are allowed into the ranks of the calligraphers, and no one is ever to change the past or the future. But when the Hairen calligraphy guild is set upon by ancient dragons demanding a time-changer be destroyed, Duyên Lai is left to wonder which of her guildmates has broken their oath and altered time.

It’s one of my all-time favorite projects. It centers around a close-knit community and really healthy relationships and (hopefully) realistic characters, which I’m really excited about because it’s (sadly) not something I see especially often. Things aren’t coming out exactly the way I want in this draft (when do they ever? :P), but I’m looking forward to polishing things up later and bringing out various relationships and character quirks and that kind of thing in later drafts. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Joy
    @ladyjoy

@r-m-archer

That sounds so cool! It’s always fun to write about things you like! Time travel and dragons, these are some of my favourite things 😊…I would love to read it whenever you’re done 🙂

Do you have any tips for when you have a plot but no characters (which is kind of where I’m at right now)?

Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@ladyjoy

Thank you! ^-^

Hmm… I tend to have the opposite problem, so I’m probably not the best person to ask, lol. But I can recommend, as a general principle, digging into your worldbuilding or into your plot. Sometimes a naturally suitable character will come out of those aspects of the story. For instance, who does your plot most strongly impact? What kind of character would be most motivated to do something about the plot? Or if you dig into your worldbuilding, maybe there’s a character who doesn’t fit in with everyone else around them for some reason and is motivated by that somehow.

Or, if all else fails, just scrolling through character inspiration pins on Pinterest can be great for sparking ideas; even if you don’t find an exact fit, it might help spark other ideas that do work.

I don’t know who else on here tends to be more plot-driven… but maybe one of the more experienced writers has better advice? (@hope-ann @jane-maree @daeus-lamb?)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by R.M. Archer.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by R.M. Archer.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@r-m-archer @ladyjoy

I too normally have characters begging for attention before I have a plot for them. 😛

That said, I echo most of what Ariel said above. Take a look at your plot: who is it it going to impact the most? Who would be likely to do something out of the ordinary? Is it a ‘nobody’ who wants to become a somebody? Is it a leader figure who steps up to try take charge, only to meet with unexpected opposition? Do you want your MC to be a girl or a boy? Rich or poor?

Sometimes, you could even make a villain for your story before the protagonist, then craft your main characters based off who has something the villain would do anything to get.

My main advice would be to look at your story and try all the different options mentally. Craft a really loose character concept (e.g. a farmer’s son, a princess, a scribe, etc) and mentally see how they would fit as the lead character. If they don’t work, move on to the next idea. And keep going until you find a match!

Hope that helps. 😀

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Joy
    @ladyjoy

@jane-maree

@r-m-archer

Thanks so much, both of you! Honestly, I don’t know why this is stressing me out so much :/

Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest