Writing books and writing career advice

Forums Fiction Writing Level & Journey Plans Discussions Writing books and writing career advice

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  MyClipboardIsMyViolin 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Bekah
    @bekah

My favorite writing books:

Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass …MUST read. Seriously.

Goal, Motivation and Conflict by Debra Dixon. Essential for characters!

45 Master Characters by Victoria Schmidt

Writing Monsters by Philip Athans

Really, there are a lot of great books at Writer’s Digest.

I just ordered Walking on Water: Reflections of Faith ad Art by Madeline L’Engle

mom. writer. always needs coffee.

Briannajean
    @briannajean

I love all these book recommendations!

I would also like to recommend “Save the Cat” and “Writing the Breakout Novel.” Both of them are very helpful when it comes to understanding plot and story momentum. 🙂

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
    @myclipboardismyviolin

I recommend What If: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers. Yes, that is a textbook for my creative writing class in college, but money well spent and it really helps, as it takes you through the process of fiction writing in expanded detail. Also, if you’re ever into writing poetry, I consider Poetry 180 by Billy Collins to be essential reading.

And if you can stomach the grim memoir of the first half of the book, Steven King’s On Writing is basically invaluable. Kill your darlings. 😛

If evil, be honest. Queen of edits.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest