Writing About the Creation to Point Toward the Creator

Forums Fiction Themes Writing About the Creation to Point Toward the Creator

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

I posted this in my guild the other day, but then I realized I pretty much haven’t interacted with anyone else in a while…so hi! This is what I’m up to. I think I need help. XD

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how best to write in a way that points my readers toward Jesus…especially because my stories depend so heavily on how nature is presented, and because nature and science are such an intense battleground for the faith in recent history. My stories are told from the perspective of various animals, and while I like being able to write from inside their heads, it also limits my ability to talk about faith at all without getting really weird and overly anthropomorphized. (I read a book once with raccoon characters who were Christians, went to raccoon church, and had better morals than all the humans they came into contact with. The way the whole thing unfolded was…bizarre. I want to avoid at all costs the new-agey message that animals and nature are better/more important than humans, which of course is definitely is not a biblical concept.)

Anyway, I could probably talk myself in circles about this (yay over-analyzing), but the main thing is that I’d like to keep faith visible in my stories without them sounding “religious,” and I think it’s going to mean doing a lot of rethinking…and scrapping and rewriting. Which is frustrating since I thought I basically had these stories figured out and just needed time to start actually writing. :\

I’d appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this!

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Andrew Schmidt
      @andrew

@scribbles

If this was somehow in a different world or something, perhaps you could use some creature king that rules over the animals he has created… interpreting what you want to be teaching, to avoid making it really bizarre… But don’t let that idea be really bizarre either.

Or you could just have it in this world where you could just use the animals to teach your readers lessons like in Aesop Fables.

That’s what I have to say. I hope its helpful.

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Andrew Schmidt
        @andrew

@scribbles, and by the way, when I said ‘bizarre,’ I meant it in the sense of Christian raccoons in a raccoon church, because my stories can get really crazy sometimes.

Rachel Rogers
          @scribbles

@andrew Those are great thoughts!

One thing that’s been helpful is that I used to be pretty strict about writing nature as realistically as possible, but I’m giving myself freedom now to be a bit more imaginative and break more rules of nature in my story. If everything doesn’t have to be exactly as it would be in nature, that gives me a little more storytelling and development freedom.

And point well taken about the kind of bizarreness to avoid. Raccoon church was definitely *cough* over the top in that crazy story I read. XD

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Andrew Schmidt
            @andrew

@scribbles,  thanks! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest