fb

Writing a script ?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Writing a script ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Do any of you lovely writers have any advice on how to go about writing a script? Any tips or resources you know of? I would  greatly appreciate it. 🙂 Thanks!

(No clue who to tag on this, so if you know of someone who might have any insight please tag them for me!)

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@the-fledgling-artist

Well, the only scripts I’ve ever tried writing were very soon abandoned by the wayside. I might not be the best advice giver in the light of that knowledge 😛

I think that first of all, though, you need to specify what sort of script it is, as the way you write tv scripts are very different to movie scripts and plays are different again. Then, once you’ve got down what sort of script it is, I’d start by making a Google search, How to Write a ____ Script and go from there. I’ve looked it up before and there’s plenty of advice out there from people more knowledgeable than me 😀

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

@the-fledgling-artist I have absolutely no experience with script writing, so I won’t even try to advise…but my friend @scarletimmortalized might have something to add to this conversation. 🙂

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@the-fledgling-artist

Hello! I’m not the expert on script writing but I’ll give you a bit of advice I learned. Like SeekJustice said, it depends on what type of script writing your going for. I mainly write small plays, sometimes converting books and just recently something original. I usually use this format:

MANY MOONS

SCENE ONE

(Lights up on a bedroom where the PRINCESS LENORE lays on a bed with the KING very near and the PHYSICIAN examining PRINCESS LENORE.)

NARRATOR. Once upon a time, in a kingdom by the sea there lived a princess named Lenore. She was ten years old, going on eleven. One day, Lenore fell ill from having too many raspberry tarts at tea and took to her bed…

PHYSICIAN. (Takes PRINCESS LENORE’S temperature) Oh my.

KING. What?

I introduce the scene with what goes on around under ‘lights up’. All my action is in parentheses and italics. Each character’s line is began with their name in bold, all caps, and with a period at the end. Also, whenever a character’s name is mentioned in Action it’s all caps. This makes everything have a unique distinction. If you look it up on google you’ll get many different formats but they seem to agree on keeping it very distinct whether its action or spoken or a character. What genre script are you going for?

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@scribbles That’s okay! Thanks for tagging Scarlet for me. 🙂

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@seekjustice @scarletimmortalized
    Thanks for all your imput thusfar. I really appreciate it!
    So the thing is.. I’m writing the script for a comic/graphic novel. Which means there isn’t really any predefined way (that I am aware of) that I should format said script. I know I can technically do it however I want, but I wanted to try and format it as close to a “real” script as possible. But i’m not sure which kind of script I should model mine after. What do you guys think?

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@the-fledgling-artist

Ooh comic, niceee. I tried, but writing comic/manga style requires a certain skill in art that I lack…so I decided to stick with just writing stories. However when I was interested a friend gave me these links and I posted them in case they help! Also, totally contact me if you need someone to read your comic!

Oh some other points where to put a lot of detail into your art. Its almost all SHOW never tell. Plus its mostly dialogue, inner and outer, unless your naming a place or time.

http://www.makingcomics.com/ 2014/03/08/write-script-comic/

http://www.comicsexperience. com/2014/02/looking-for-a- comic-book-script-format- check-out-the-comics- experience-template/

https://www.raindance.org/6- tips-for-those-taking-up- comic-writing/

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@scarletimmortalized Thanks! I’m trying to learn everything I can about making comics, so I appreciate it!  It might take me a while to have anything worth sharing but I’ll remember you said that! 😀 Did you get very far with your comic project?

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

Well, I wrote a script once for a friend’s 4H project. I didn’t really know anything about it though.

I put actions in italics, names in bold, and then talking in normal type. When there was an action it within the conversation, I put it in astericks. Like so…

Adrian turns from the window

Adrian: “How did you know?”

Monette: *laughs* “I know everything.”

When writing a script, just remember to keep it simple. We need basic descriptions of actions and dialogue, that’s it.

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@anne-of-lothlorien Great! Thank you! Keep it simple.. I’ll try to remember that! 🙂

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@the-fledgling-artist I pretty much made it through the opening line. I realized I had unrealistic drawing expectations for myself and my beloved character pictures would never make it out of my mind. So I switched to novel 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.