fb

World Making

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding World Making

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@andrew I haven’t needed to come up with any of that kind of stuff yet, cuz yeah I’m working on a historical right now. But I want to try fantasy one day, so I’ll definitely have to! šŸ˜‰

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@jenwriter17, cool! So what type of historical stuff are you writing right now?

Random Stranger: "What do you want to do when you grow up?"
    Me: "Write every inch of your future."

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@andrew I’m researching and outlining for a Great Depression era story. I think it’s really interesting time period…

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@jenwriter17, that sounds really interesting. It would be harder fore to write historical, because of all the researching and outlining and stuff.

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@andrew, sorry I’m late. Nice new picture!

I’ve made up a lot of different races. Elverines have pointy ears, slanted eyes, three spikes on there arms and one spike on their heels and giant insect wings. Nargams are small long-limbed creatures who love climbing. Ragmen are covered in ragged fur. Allegers have no knees, and they have much shorter legs. Yorgufes have a trumpet like thing instead of a nose or mouth, so they can’t speak English, but instead speak a language of honking and hooting. Ganzes (my favorites) are small and fiery, and singing is their life, and I can’t explain them any better than that (Sorry).

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

Yours sound really neat! I’ve made up some animals, but the only plant I’ve made up is dragonweed, which I have made up a lot about.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@nuetrobolt, thanks!

Dragonweed. Interesting. šŸ™‚

Oh, and those are some nice races there!

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@andrew Just so you know, fanged deer are actually a thing. Like seriously, deer with fangs. They’re called musk deer. Look em up.

As for world building… If another race is just going to be in the background kind of floating around there and not have a purpose for the story, you might as well not go through the work of creating them. Ancient races, however, can be very cool, like for legends or stories or things, extinct beings that once lived in that country.

I once created a race of people, mostly like gnomes, I suppose you would say. I called them pogrims. I came up with them when I was ten, so I suppose I could invent a better name. They stand five to eight inches tall, and live under trees in underground cities. They’re a mining people, and they actually have invented a way to spin melted jewels into cloth, causing it to be very shimmery and smooth. They sell this to the humans, but only under the secret-est conditions, as they prefer to be anonymous. They wear jewelry cloth themselves, and they are human-like in form expect for very short arms and legs in proportion to their bodies and their features are gathered closer together on their face.

I’ve also invented a rock called rosestone. It’s pink in color, and after heated and cooled rapidly becomes brittle and can be ground into a dust that is poisonous. It’s not for anything specific, I was just bored on a car trip. šŸ˜€

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@anne-of-lothlorien, okay. Fanged deer’s actually a real thing? Hmm. *goes looks it up, then comes back* I think I may have saw them before. I think I heard they may have been called ‘vampire deer’ because of their long teeth, but there’s lots of names, so…

Anyway, those are some cool races too… oh, and I also like the rosestone and jewelry clothes. I think I may have thought of something like that before, except that they just added jewels to the cloths, but anyway, making up races is fun.

And each race is probably going to have a rule in the story, or else, what you said, there’s no need to have them in it.

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@andrew dragonweed is a very fiery plant, and dragons eat it, enabling them to breathe fire.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@nuetrobolt, cool. šŸ™‚

Oonsay
    @oonsay

@anne-of-lothlorien Your concept of spinning fabric from gems is so cool! I’d love to read about how that works.

@Andrew
    You sound like you’ve developed a good deal of entities for your world. A lot of those names are exciting (I especially like the idea of an inktoad).Ā Have you thought about how they’ll workĀ inĀ your world? For example, what regions will have which plants and which animals? What kinds of climate allow natural growth? Which races will cultivate or farm or hunt them, and for what purpose? And from thereon, how does trading work?

This could influence, or be influenced by, different races as well. A flowerfly may serve an entirely different purpose to a human than it might to a dwarf, or some hybrid fawn-elf-orc-thing. I’d love to hear what you’ve come up with šŸ˜€

Catherine Roche
    @writercatherine

@andrew I think having multiple races is great; the more you know about the world, the more immersive it can be. However, keep in mind you don’t necessarily have to mention every race you create. The things you know will naturally bleed into your writing and make your world more three-dimensional; you don’t need to state them outright. In fact, that’s telling, which you should avoid.

In addition, if you’re interested, I have a questionnaire I made to help myself fully develop my WIP’s world. Click here for it.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam - For the greater glory of God
    Catholic, student, bookdragon

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@oonsay, thanks!

AĀ lot of the animals, well, they’ll probably justĀ serve many different scenes. Whether it be a hindrance, exploration, etc.

I haven’t got that far into this story yet (I like just brainstorming for stories, then coming back in a month and writing about them. Well, I inly do that to some).

I got some of the places figured out. The world is called Aspeldon (not sure if I’m going to change the name or not). There are a bunch of worlds, which are connected together in something called the Connection. But this story is stillĀ fantasy.

I have about three bigĀ villages (forĀ the human race) called Adderville, Popperton, and Membermoor. Then I also have the Crawlborn Caves, Ancient Mountains, Jazlyn Plains, Gemstone Woods, Blazing Desert, Seefame Swamp, Clanrock Sea, Turtle Inn, Algrenock Castle, Rushing River, Forgotten Forest, and other places which I have yet toĀ make.

I also made some moreĀ things in my time: Grin monkeys and mourning owls. I’m planning for the mourning owls to be the haunted creatures of Seefame Swamp or something, but I also came up with a couple other things. Some food and a lot more plants. (I’m not boasting or anything!)

These are my new plants which I came up with: mamberjacks, cranmelons, bubble-blaze mushrooms, jensalott peppers, crazark orchids, and some more which I have yet to come up with.

It’s also fun making meals with the different foods of your world, like making redberry pie, boiled jensalott peppers, and crispy beamerfish.

What about you?

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@writercatherine, okay. Thanks!

I’ll have to probably check that thing of yours out tomorrow, because I have a time limit on Story Embers.

But anyway, what is your favorite thing to create?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest