World Making

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding World Making

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

So, I’m planning for this new story. It’s fantasy, and in this one, I’m planning it to be very different.

Some animals I’ve come up with so far: windmocks, beamerfish, inktoads, scarlet wolves, golialephant, fanged deer, reaper rodents, crazarks, alexion rhinos, flowerflies, more… Some animals that I didn’t make up but are still cool: dragons, sea serpents, phoenixes.

Some plants I’ve come up with so far: moon roses, glint tulips, eater plant, glow lilies, emberflower, silver vines, redberries, almoken trees, more…

Then I have some special stones and stuff too. But I’m not sure if I should only have one race of beings or not. What do you think.

Of course, there’s going to be humans, but I may also have giants and dwarves. If I was going to have trolls and elves, they’d probably be smaller. Then I might make some other beings up, one of them the dark evil race.

@the-fledgling-artist
      , @evelyn, @nuetrobolt, @jenwriter17, @anybody-else-who-is-on-here

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Andrew Schmidt
      @andrew

Oh, and I forgot to mention the plant ‘starweed’ and that I may have a unicorn once to go in the market where there are many breeds of horses.

Elizabeth
        @elizabeth

Sounds solid. I’m having a bit of a hard time understanding what your question is?

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@andrew This sounds cool! (Especially inktoads – name one after me!! Maybe the pet of a local, eccentric witch 😉 )

But same as @elizabeth… were you asking a question?

Andrew Schmidt
        @andrew

Thanks,@elizabeth. Oh, sorry. I meant this to more be a topic where to talk about strange creatures and worlds and things, though I did ask you what you’d think of having more than one race in this story.

@evelyn
          , thank you too. So, if I happen to name an inktoad in this story for some reason, perhaps I should call it Evelyn.

Andrew Schmidt
          @andrew

Oh sorry, I accidently did your tag wrong, @elizabeth

Evelyn
            @evelyn

@andrew Haha, I was just joking. 🙂

The Fledgling Artist
            @the-fledgling-artist

@andrew I think it just depends on what you’re going for. 😉 If having other races wont really impact the story I would personally leave them out but- its completely up to you.

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Andrew Schmidt
            @andrew

@evelyn, I was sort of joking around with the inktoad too. 🙂

@the-fledgling-artist
              , okay.

Andrew Schmidt
              @andrew

@evelyn, @the-fledgling-artist

So what are some of the races you’ve been making up so far?

Evelyn
                @evelyn

@andrew I’ve never made up an entire race actually! Well, not anything as far from humans as elves or dwarves. I have however created different countries and developed the people’s cultures, customs, government, etc around myths and the resources they have.

I started off by making a questionnaire sheet to fill in for the different countries. That helped with the early stages of devolvement and helped me get the over all picture of the country, then once I had that, I began building on those foundations and went into detail. It was really fun!

How do you go about brainstorming and creating new species, races, etc?

Andrew Schmidt
                @andrew

@evelyn, sounds cool!

When I create new animals, plants, races, etc., I just usually… well, just use my imagination, though I don’t usually always write that stuff down if I don’t need too.

The Fledgling Artist
                  @the-fledgling-artist

@andrew Not very many actually. I have a race of people who visually a mix between elves and deer, and the culture could be described as Native Americans with castles. (though that’s obviously not completely accurate)

Then another from a different story (also fantasy.. with possible sci-fi elements) Annd.. I know very little about their culture as well. Even less then that of the first. They live underwater and are a nomadic people. Singing is really important in their culture. Like I said, not very developed.

I have a couple others but I don’t know enough about them to even try to explain them to someone els. 😉

What about you?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17

@andrew Wow…I especially like emberflower. 😉

I haven’t written fantasy before, so I haven’t really done this kind of worldbuilding. What you have going there sounds pretty cool! 😀

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
                  www.jennaterese.com

Andrew Schmidt
                  @andrew

@the-fledgling-artist, I’m still planning for this place. The culture I have yet to create, but there are more than one race in this world. Humans, dwarves, giants, maybe elves and trolls… I already said those, but then there’s the really crazy people of many varieties that come out of a well. Then there’s the evil henchmen, Skulks, and then I may make up a few other races too.

@jenwriter17
                    , thanks! If I may ask, is there any plant or creature that you have made up yet, or do right more historical stuff?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest