World Anvil

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding World Anvil

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Aislinn Mollisong 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

Hey there, folks! Currently, I’m embroiled in drafting a fantasy novel and editing a dystopian trilogy…which means a lot of worldbuilding. Like so much.

Now, a website called World Anvil came to my attention a few months ago when I noticed a conversation on a thread around here somewhere about its wonders. Then I forgot about it, until @r-m-archer mentioned it in her blog post the other week. So I poked around on the links she provided and decided it looked cool.

And I’ve been thinking about it since then. My question is, is it worth using? Do you use it? How helpful is it? What are the pros and cons? Should I use it?

I don’t know who to tag, so I’ll just leave it and hope those mysterious beings who were extolling its virtues turn up sooner or later to squeal about it.

Crazy INFP, writer, dancer, musical fanatic.
    Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@seekjustice So, I’ve had World Anvil for a month (?) now, and I still don’t have it figured out. in my opinion, I’d rather have all my stuff in a document, nice, clean, and tidy, instead of a website with a bunch of ads, but that’s my preference, and I haven’t used it that much soooo… yeah. Don’t take my word for it. 😉

Tagging those who I know have used it: @eden-anderson  @r-m-archer

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@seekjustice

Here’s the existing post on World Anvil. It doesn’t look like we actually discussed many of the things we particularly liked/didn’t like about it (except for Daeus, in his introductory post), but you could post your questions there and probably get more responses. 🙂

Since you’ve read my post, you probably have an idea of my take on it. 😉 I don’t know which of the posts in that worldbuilding series you have or haven’t read, but I think I most outlined World Anvil’s pros and cons in my post on ways to organize worldbuilding information, and also gave some alternative options if you decide World Anvil’s not for you. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

I do find it helpful. I jot all my random thoughts down in a normal doc, then once I have some solid ideas on any a topic, I’ll move them over to World Anvil. I mainly like Word Anvil for its prompts.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice

I love World Anvil…it’s been super helpful and I’d recommend it anybody whose in to world building. Not only has it helped me organize my scattered, confused notes, it’s also made me way more excited about world building. I used to dread world building, but now it’s actually fun! (I’m still kind of in shock. 😉)

Yes, I definitely think it’s worth it. Yes, I use it. It’s very helpful…I love how you can link all of your articles together; everything is interlinked and connected. It’s awesome. I also love that it has already created templates…it helps prompt my creativity. 😀 Some of the pros are that it’s super helpful and gets all your world building paraphernalia in one place and it supplies all this awesome stuff free of charge. (c’mon, who doesn’t like free stuff?) One of the cons is that you have to pay money if you want to make your world private…(but that’s actually not a con…🤔)

@evelyn ( @seekjustice, this is for you too.)

If you don’t want the adds you can get a membership on World Anvil…and as I’m writing this, memberships are actually on sale right now! (Yay, for sales!) I don’t have a membership but that’s because I’m cheap and I just ignore the adds. 😛

@r-m-archer

Because that is a New Wessex article, Seek Justice probably doesn’t have access to it. (Or am I just confused? 🙃)

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@eden-anderson

Because that is a New Wessex article, Seek Justice probably doesn’t have access to it. (Or am I just confused?)

Ohhhh, I didn’t even think about that. Oops. XP

I love World Anvil…it’s been super helpful and I’d recommend it anybody whose in to world building. Not only has it helped me organize my scattered, confused notes, it’s also made me way more excited about world building. I used to dread world building, but now it’s actually fun! (I’m still kind of in shock.) Yes, I definitely think it’s worth it. Yes, I use it. It’s very helpful…I love how you can link all of your articles together; everything is interlinked and connected. It’s awesome. I also love that it has already created templates…it helps prompt my creativity. Some of the pros are that it’s super helpful and gets all your world building paraphernalia in one place and it supplies all this awesome stuff free of charge. (c’mon, who doesn’t like free stuff?) One of the cons is that you have to pay money if you want to make your world private…(but that’s actually not a con, whatever…)

Yep! That’s basically my thoughts on it summed up, too. XD I would add that there’s a con in that you can’t make reusable custom templates, nor can you adjust those that already exist. But considering everything else that World Anvil does (for free!), and the fact that it’s customizable enough for me to usually get around this, it doesn’t bother me too much, personally.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  R.M. Archer.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@r-m-archer

No worries! 😀

Oh yeah, that’s true. But those cons do not really bother me so that’s probably why I didn’t think of them. 😉

SeekJustice
    @seekjustice

@evelyn @daeus-lamb @r-m-archer @eden-anderson

Thanks for all your opinions! I’m considering giving it a trial to see how much I like it.

Crazy INFP, writer, dancer, musical fanatic.
    Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice

Awesome!

A. J. Higgins
    @tdprince

It is a pretty good software. Don’t use it as much as I should.

"The Song of the Prince surpasses them all
      A ballad that has only begun!"

Aislinn Mollisong
      @aislinn-mollisong

I just started using World Anvil and I think its incredibly useful. Way better than Notebook AI.

Hero with an overactive imagination

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest