fb

Words

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kaytelyn
    @princessmk

Hi,

I was not sure where to put this so I decided I would put it here.

I am wanting to start trying to write poems and short story’s but make it harder by not being able to use one word. I have already written a poem without the word the (I wrote the poem without realizing that I hadn’t used the word the until after it was written) and I have decided that I don’t want to be the one to choose what word I can’t use.

I have decided that once it is no longer a challenge I will make it so that then I can’t use two words and so on. Any words I am given I will use the first one I get and then work my way through all of them.

Lona
    @lonathecat

Oh fun! How about the word “and”?

I really like this idea, and am definitely going to have to try it. 🙂

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Go

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Kaytelyn
    @princessmk

@lonathecat

The story’s and poems I write I have a tendency to use words like “the,” “and,” “a,” and “said” plus sometimes “really,” a lot.  I realized yesterday that this will probably make it so that in my stories and poems I have to find a word to use instead or word it differently.

Definitely ‘but’.

I like writing poems every now and then, and I find that ‘but’ is a useful word to use. But (hahaha) there are other words you can use instead, like however, although, and so on.

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Kaytelyn
    @princessmk

@olivia

That’s another one I use a lot, but more so in my stories then poems. I don’t think I have ever used that word in a poem. Actually I did use it in one of my poems.

@princessmk

Ya, I tend to use it quite often in my writing as well.

You should share some of your poems on SE and then we can get to enjoy them as well! (If you don’t want to, no pressure at all! Just thought it might be cool.)

I’ve been getting more into writing short poems lately, mostly because I try to write 100 words a day, and if I don’t feel like working on my WIP, I just write a short poem or the beginning of one. They can be pretty handy for that, and I just enjoy them. I used to only like writing ones that rhymed, but recently I’ve realized that I really enjoy just writing free verse. That way it’s like a poem, but I don’t have to count syllables or make sure it all rhymes. 🙂 Anyway, maybe I’ll share one on here.

Kaytelyn
    @princessmk

@olivia

I think it is one of those words that are the most common.

I actually shared three of my poems in the group poets. They have to do with a storm, spring and a sunrise.

Cool, I usually write poems when I feel like writing, but I don’t have a story idea and I don’t have a story I am working on, or if I feel like writing but don’t know what to write I choose something in nature and write a poem. That is how I wrote most of my poems, if I couldn’t choose something in nature then I would just have one of my sisters choose something. A few of my poems I didn’t do that way for example the first poem I wrote was called red, white and blue and I wrote it for my grandpa, since they where his favorite colors. I wrote it around four years ago and it was actually only the first 2 verses of the poem since I added on to it after my grandpa passed away. After that I tried writing a poem that rhymed it didn’t sound very good at all, (I didn’t know the rules of poetry at all) but I did keep it. I called that one mountain streams and since I wrote that one I usually just write free verse poetry. (Following rules in poetry that I don’t know are to hard, I have to get books on the rules of poetry.) I was trying to write 450 words a day but since I easily pass that and go up to 500 or higher, I upped the goal to 500 and if that is to easy then I will up the amount again.

@princessmk

That’s cool that you wrote a poem for your grandpa. Definitely a good idea. 🙂

I love writing songs, so I’ve written a few for my friends and family. I’m hoping to record a bunch of my songs and then hopefully make an album. That’s one of my goals for the winter. I’m going to see if I can have my own album before the age of seventeen.

Ya, awesome writing goal! I write 100 words a day, though I tend to always go over that, but life has been busy lately, so I’m not going to change my goal until it settles down a bit.

Kaytelyn
    @princessmk

@olivia

Thanks. I think I wrote it because I wanted to try writing a poem and he had told me in a letter that those where his favorite colors.

Cool! I have a couple of sisters at least that write songs. I think that that is a really good goal. I am hoping that I can soon start trying to write longer stories, I have ideas for some but the longer the story is the worse it sounds. So for my first long story I am using a bunch of writing prompts like more then twenty of them. It’s so many and they mostly have nothing in common at all. One is “It all began with a field trip to a historic lighthouse…” and another is “You woke up to an empty house. You expected everyone to be at the breakfast table like usual. The back door was open and a note was on the table.” So like I said some are similar like two different ones having to do with someone finding an old diary. Well others will be hard to connect with into the same story. A challenge, but one that is fun! I hope the stuff as far as writing prompts make sense.

Yeah life is crazy right now since we recently moved, we are still trying to settle in and fix up the house. I wish though for once we could quit moving around. We have liked moved at least seven times, I like it except for each time we move we leave our friends behind.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Kaytelyn.

@princessmk

Ya, those prompts do sound pretty complicated to piece together, but it’ll be an adventure, for sure!

I don’t mind moving too much, but mostly because I’ve only done it three or so times, and mostly just to new houses in the same town or area, not a different place. But I can understand how hard it would be to leave your friends behind. Hopefully you settle in quickly. Are you homeschooled? That might help some, so you don’t have to go to a new school.

We are, and I love it. 🙂

Kaytelyn
    @princessmk

@olivia

It is really difficult to piece them all together. I only have four writing prompts pieced together and I still have a bunch more to piece together. I just realized exactly how hard it will be.

If we move it is usually to a new town, or into a different state. (It’s mostly into a different state.) I have lived in Minnesota, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois and Michigan. But we moved from Minnesota to Missouri, from Missouri to Arkansas, from Arkansas back to Missouri, from Missouri to Illinois, from Illinois back to Minnesota and from Minnesota to Michigan. Then we moved once in Michigan. This only counts the moves we made from the time I was seven until now. Before I turned two I know we moved from where I was born to where we lived until I was seven. There are a few times I didn’t mind moving and those where when we first started moving around. (I didn’t know what it was like and I thought it would be more of an adventure but the most it ever got to being an adventure is when we lived in woods, Then we got to go exploring.) The times I didn’t like it was when we had to leave our friends.

I am homeschooled, if I wasn’t who knows how many new schools I would of ended up going to with all the moving we did!

What is the “we are, and I love it.” to?

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Kaytelyn.

@princessmk

Wow, sounds like your life won’t ever be boring if you keep it up. 😉 Lol. Ya, that would be crazy if you had to change schools every time, so I suppose it’s extra good that you’re homeschooled. 🙂 My mom used to move a lot when she was a girl, and she at least went to three different schools during high school, which was, of course, pretty hard.

Oh, when I said ‘we are, and I love it’, I meant that we’re homeschooled as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest