fb

Willing to Beta-Read

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Willing to Beta-Read

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

Hello!

I’ve been on the lookout for some books to read and thought ‘why not yours’?

I’m not the best line-edit type person (I’m too ADHD to focus on little details like that!), but I can give a lot of big-picture ideas. I’m more than happy to give a manuscript a read through and give you feedback on:

1. Worldbuilding

2. Character and my impression

3. Pacing, beginnings, and endings

4. Parts that stuck out to me as good/bad

As an point of interest, I find when I give feedback it tends to be less ‘this was bad and this was good’ and more of giving feedback on what I was feeling through certain parts. I don’t know if that kind of work is helpful, but I know I sometimes appreciate knowing if people have the same impression of characters and plot points as I’m trying to give them.

I read in a ton of different genres, so I don’t know how to narrow it. I tend to read fantasy the most and romance the least, if that helps.

Let me know if anyone is looking for someone like that. I’m looking forward to some good (or rough) literature.

4. Parts that stuck out to me as re

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

The Inkspiller
    @the-inkspiller

AHA!

A rare beta-reader!

Be prepared to be swamped with supplicants.

By the way, I don’t think we’ve met. I tend to lie dormant for weeks / months at a time only to suddenly answer a flurry of weird medical questions on this one particular thread in Fantasy Fiction Writers….
    Anyways, I guess I’m primarily a fantasy fiction writer with a strong historical bent. My current labor of maddening obsession (when I’m not studying for my licensing exam, may I pass on the first try!) is a series of novels, Rest for the Wicked, set around the Hussite Wars of early 15th century Bohemia (modern Czech Republic). The story follows a power-hungry border countess, her motley crew of minions and companions, and their emotional, mental, and spiritual baggage on a collective quest for power, purpose, and maybe a pint to wash it down.

I guess the story probably deserves a more serious blurb than that, but at this stage I try not to take myself too seriously. It’s only drama if the reader likes it; if it’s overdone, it mellows into melodrama.

I’m ADHD too… it’s hard to concentrate on anything I actually need to do, but then when I do focus on something, I can’t tear myself away – even if it’s the most useless, stupid, futile activity. Then suddenly it will click, and I can write 8000 words in a day or sit still for 10 hours just hammering away at a story until I physically cannot see the screen anymore because my eyes are that blurry. It’s honestly a burden, its apparent size largely dependent on the beholder. I’ll heed my own words and shy away from undue melodrama, but it sucks.

If you really are serious about beta-reading, I’d like to make some additions first to the latest draft of my first book. There’s a missing horse-training scene and it’s been bugging me to death for months, and I refuse to subject another faithful beta-reader to the draft until it’s done. (I didn’t know enough about horses at the time and I was just trying to finish the bloody book before my brain quit.) I have had two (maybe three? I think it was actually three) other people to beta read it, but I’d also like an outsider perspective, as those two (three) readers were also pretty involved in the writing process and privy to a lot of insider details that a regular reader wouldn’t be.

SO.

How are you? I’d rather like to hear more about you and your writing journey than myself at this point, so I’ll let it go.

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

Ohhhhhh, a beta reader!

I’M INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!

I’m only just completing the first draft of my story at this point, but I would love to have someone go over it and tell me what they think. The story is very emotionally pushed (or supposed to be), so it would be awesome if you could read it and tell me what you think, mainly about if you get emotionally connected to the characters or anything.

I’m not too worried about other things because, although I know it needs a lot of work, it’s only the first draft and I’m going to work out more of the plot holes and such in my next drafts. So my main concern is if my story is emotionally engaging. The storyline itself is, but I’m not sure if I’m capturing that or not.

If you’re interested at all, I can give you more details about the story itself. 🙂

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Hey guys, really sorry to interrupt. (especially since this is slightly off-topic)

@the-inkspiller

There’s a missing horse-training scene and it’s been bugging me to death for months, and I refuse to subject another faithful beta-reader to the draft until it’s done. (I didn’t know enough about horses at the time and I was just trying to finish the bloody book before my brain quit.)

Just wanted to say your WIP sounds fascinating and I love the premise! I don’t currently have time to beta-read an entire novel, but I’d be happy to critique the horse-training scene if you need help with it, since this is one of the few things I actually have first-hand experience with.

If you’re having trouble researching medieval horsemanship, (I know I could barely find anything) I found a channel on YouTube, (Modern History TV) that has a lot of information on that. He really knows what he’s talking about and it’s very helpful to actually see everything in action.

Anyway, best of success y’all!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@the-inkspiller

Haha! I don’t think we have met. I also disappear for large swatches of time, usually when I’m not writing, and then find myself trapped in some new part of my writing endeavor that will send me back here. Currently I’m doing my first edits on my novel, so I’m here to edit anything BUT my novel! Very productive, I know.

What a cool story! I’d love to give you an outsider perspective, if you feel ready for one. I love historical fiction, and that one sounds cool. Unfortunately, I don’t know much about horses, so I can’t help you there.

I have written a lot of poetry, which is what originally drew me to the site, but I’ve also written novels on and off. Either fun off-the-wall fantasy ideas or really poorly-plotted mysteries that make no sense and leave loose ends everywhere (oh, the pains of being a pantser. Does not mix well with mystery).

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@olivia

That sounds great! I’d love to read it, and giving you thoughts on characters is exactly up my alley. Character development’s probably my favorite part of writing. Go ahead and hit me with some details.

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@rose-colored-fancy

It’s crazy the kind of niche knowledge you find in a writing group!

@kb-writer

Awesome! Character development is definitely one of my weak points, though I suppose just about everything is since I haven’t been writing seriously for long. A bit over a year, basically. I did write some before that, but not every day like I do now.

Title: Heaven’s Twin

Genre: Speculative Fiction

Word Count: 34 thousand (currently) (still two more scenes to write)

Blurb: Justin Luke and Jennifer Lynn. One twin in Heaven, one twin on Earth. Both dream of the other. When they meet on Earth under miraculous odds, a strong friendship unfolds. But Justin is forced to make a life changing decision: save Jennifer or himself. Will he make the sacrifice and let love prevail?

I know it’s a very unusual storyline, but I thought of it because I have a brother who was miscarried before I was born. So this story is dedicated to my brother, Justin Kendrick. I still wanted to keep Justin as the main character’s name, but didn’t want to make it identical to my brother, so I changed his middle name. 🙂

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@olivia

That sounds really good! I’d love to give it a look. Let me know how best to do that. I could always give you my ‘junk email’ account so you can share it with me without too big a privacy concern.

@kb-writer

That could work. Or I can just give you the link to the Google Doc on here and you can access it by that. You don’t need to be added or anything, since I have it set so anyone with the link can read it.

Haha, I saw your quote there again and it made me smile. I’ve heard that before, and I love it. 😉 True but funny.

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

@kb-writer

Hi Katherine,

I would love your thoughts on my WIP.

How do we connect? My first two novel drafts are online at my WP site.

I am willing to do the same for your WIP.

Please let me know how best to contact you.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

Sorry for the delay! Life has tossed me many curveballs in the last two weeks, but I believe I’m over the hump.

@olivia

I’d love to read it! Just send me the google doc link anytime.

If you could email me at katherinelovesgod@gmail.com, that would be great!

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

Ignore the last email, actually. That wasn’t the one I use. Instead, use katherinebaker02@gmail.com

@kb-writer

Awesome! I was busy with my sister’s wedding for the past few weeks, but I’m back now. 🙂 😛 So, here it is…

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zbf-fsP-IVK0eUnVHhJ9WExo-1wJLjcXaK3GWnr7utQ/edit#

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest