Why does my writing have to glorify god

Forums Fiction Themes Why does my writing have to glorify god

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I actually don’t understand this, my writing is my writing, God didn’t write my writing, my writing doesn’t have anything to do with God and there are plenty of people out there who write for the glory of God so do I really have to as well? It seems like God has so much glory already I don’t really need to add to it, not that I could anyway, and it’s just very odd to me, but I’m open to trying to understand if anyone wants to help me understand.

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@phoenix I’ll think on this, but off the top of my head, the main reason that comes to mind is that glorifying God is our purpose in the first place. It feels like although writing for ourselves may be enjoyable for a while, in the end it doesn’t have any true meaning. So glorifying God through writing is the only way to make writing worthwhile.

Of course, there are tons of ways to glorify God in writing–there’s showing how beautiful goodness is, showing how strong it is by pitting it against deep darkness–so many ways you can do it. But I’ve found that if it doesn’t glorify God in some clear way, it feels kind of pointless.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Anonymous

@naiya-dyani But if God created us to glorify Him, isn’t that terrifying? We’re all controlled by a being that is stronger than us, we exist to make him feel good about himself. True individuality is impossible that way. True art is impossible that way. It’s just terrifying. It prevents me from wanting anything to do with God and I’d much rather become nothing when I die.

Princess Foo
          @princess-foo

Not so coincidently, there are some pretty clear Bible verses about this. Everything is our life has to do with God. As @naiya-dyani said, glorifying God is our purpose in life!

1 Corinthians 10:31, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”

Colossians 3:17, “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Whats more, God actually has everything to do with our writing. He gave you and me the ability, desires, ideas, and resources we need to write. Not everyone has these things. The ability to write is actually a gift. It’s not a given. And we know that “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” James 1:17.

Jesus told a parable of a man who separated his word from God and considered it solely his. Luke 12:16-21 says, “And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”

Now, I’m not trying to say, “This is @phoenix, that awful person!” I’m saying this is all of us. I too often forget what the point of it is. My writing is the thing I most take pride in. Nothing in our life is apart from God. Nothing in this world really belongs to us.

Does than answer your question? I hope you haven’t felt like I’m coming down on you for not knowing all this stuff already.

The cake is a lie. acaylor.com

Princess Foo
          @princess-foo

@phoenix Those are some really hard questions to grapple with. I would really encourage you to talk about it with someone that you trust. Your pastor, youth pastor, or parents.

There are two truths that come to me when I think of your question.

First, God is good.

Psalm 107:1 says, “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.”

Psalm 145:9 says, “The LORD is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.”

Exodus 33:19 says, “And the LORD said, ‘I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.'”

Second, God is good regardless of how I feel about it. He is real regardless of how I feel about it. I could think that God is supremely unfair and it wouldn’t change the fact that He is real, full of justice, and in complete control over all creation. My feelings have no basis on facts.

It is not wrong of you to be grappling with these questions, but I really think that you need to talk it over with someone you can trust.

The cake is a lie. acaylor.com

Anonymous

@princess-foo hey thanks for taking the time to cite all those verses and give this a pretty in depth response. I’m not trying to be difficult but honestly thinking about God being in control and us being made to glorify him really does terrify me a lot. It’s one of the reasons I straight up just decided to become an atheist because I couldn’t handle the idea of being created by a God and being made to worship him. I’m pretty sure you’re right though, I just don’t know how I’ll ever be able to accept it, it might take a really long time. It seeps into my writing though because I can’t really accept the idea of using it to glorify God. That’s the only reason I think this issue of mine is worth mentioning on story embers, cause you guys are all about using stories to glorify God and that’s great, I just wish I could do that and stop being terrified about my own existence all the time. As for people I trust, well that’s in very limited supply, I’ll do my best but the best shot I’ve got at a clear answer especially where writing is concerned is this forum right here. Sorry for the essay lmfao

Taylor Clogston
            @taylorclogston

@phoenix Oh I definitely feel you regarding all the existential dread. I’ve struggled with specifically the same frustration that humanity is a joke because our entire existence is intended to give ourselves up to the same thing all the rest of creation already does, and even with wishing we could just become annihilated after death.

What gives me the closest thing to comfort is the fact that the rest of creation does glorify God by its beauty. I don’t take “glorifying God” to mean “always writing a Pilgrim’s Progress knockoff.” I take it to mean seeking truth and righteousness and becoming the best that I can be, reveling in the beauty of a world majestic despite humans continuing to insist to exist within it, trying to help the people around me to live the best lives they can, listening to the wisdom of people who came before me.

As @princess-foo said, there is a continual theme in the Bible about the folly of obsessing on the riches of this world.

But there is also a continual theme about the glory of man found within good food, human companionship, and a job well done. The Teacher of Ecclesiastes tells us that all striving of mankind is useless. Even wisdom and great learning is useless, for it breeds melancholy, revealing in the end that all life is wholly without value.

Jesus and His ministry were illogical. Despite humans not being worth saving, despite the absolute meaningless of human existence, Jesus came to save the lost, and beyond that, to live among humans and partake in a perfectly human existence. Jesus ate much food and drank much wine. He gave wisdom to those who would hear Him, revealing the will of God to them. He did not revile the worst people of society, but called all people His neighbor who would invite Him to their table. He worked hard in his trade, and had strong friendships. He wept and was righteously angry, and loved all who were humble before God.

In this way, be like Jesus. Beg God every day of your life to reveal the truth to you, to give you wisdom, to fill you with a love for Him and His commandments.

And then live.

“Ask, and it will be given to you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and the door will be opened to you.” – Matthew 7:7

“Therefore I tell you, everything you pray and ask for—believe that you have received it and it will be yours.” – Mark 11:24

“If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?” – Luke 11:14

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you want and it will be done for you.” – John 15:7

Ask for wisdom. Ask for a love of what is good. Ask that you be given the power to glorify God in your writing in the same way that the mountain and the ocean and the galaxies do.

Then write as you will, and glorify God.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Cathy
            @this-is-not-an-alien

oh, hey there! I was reading about you talking about God controlling us for the purpose of making us worship, and I remember going through a phase in my life like that. I’ve been working on my novel for almost four years now while I was struggling with suicidal thoughts. But, it’s not really like that once I got to know Jesus, He’s my King Papa. He didn’t make us for worship because HE doesn’t gain anything from us at all. In the beginning there was Love and He made us to be perfectly and individually ourselves. Everything he commands is summed up in this; “You would made for love. You were made to receive My Love and love is what’s best for you so I’ll teach it to you.”
              Jesus turned His most traumatic life event into our salvation and He turned it into terrible beautiful poetry. Did you know, using astronomy software we can gauge what the constellations were doing the moment Christ died? Looking from the moon, the Ram constellation was pierced in the heart during the eclipse at the exact moment of His death at 3 o’clock. So God turns pain into something so beautiful and soulful no matter what you think of your own pain He’ll show how in the end it’s the most wonderful thing that could ever happen to you because of the love He pours into everything you do as much as you can hold. I think the only way you can really go wrong is to not trust Him to turn you into something beautiful, after all, that’s His one goal in life.
              I think one of the best things about pain is that it teaches you empathy if you learn from it, at least I think it has for me. It doesn’t matter how small or large traumatic events seem to you, it’s always a perfect fit to make you a better person if you have confidence in God’s Plan. The pain reminds us this isn’t how life was meant to be, we’re really very homesick for Heaven.
              So that’s my word-vomiting for today, not sure if that helped but I guess I wrote it so I might as well send it. Do you want to talk about your trauma? I know for me I can sometimes have a hard time talking about those things to people I know well because I’ve invested so much into them and I don’t want to lose that. If you ever want to vent I’m here for ya.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest