fb

Which Comes First…

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Which Comes First…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zee
    @zee

…your story, or your characters?

Do you mentally create a vivid character, down to his hair color and what he ate for dinner last night, and then set out to write a story about him?

OR

Do you come up with a great idea for a story, plug in some characters, and then just “get to know them” as the story rolls along?

Or do you go about your storytelling in some other way entirely? I’m curious.

Ella
    @writergirl101

@zee

I think I’m more of the 1st.  I like to know EVERYTHING about my characters and really make them seem real.  I have tons of character ideas, but when I want to write about them, I have to come up with a quick story, which I don’t like to do either.  I like to know the details of both, but like I said, I usually come up with characters first (it comes more naturally).

What about you?

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@zee

I get a story plot/idea in my head. Then as I write it down, the characters form. (: Then they eventually take over the outline and lead. (:

And to copy Ella, ‘What about you?’

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

For me it tends to be a mix of both, but I tend to develop the story first and then develop the characters that would be a part of it. I tend to have both fairly developed by the time I begin writing my actual story, though.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Zee
    @zee

@kimlikesart, you did a good job of describing what happens with me. Except I never completely let them take over. A little wrench-throwing is all that’s allowed.

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@zee Great question!

I usually start with a mood, build that into a setpiece (usually the climax or very beginning of a story) with arbitrary placeholder characters, and then try to reverse engineer a plot in both directions. As I write the characters into scenes, they take on a life of their own.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Zee
    @zee

Nice to know I’m not the only one who starts my stories at the end…or at least at the climax. I often have that “big scene” in my head, and then, to create the story, work back from it to what seems like a good beginning point.

However, now that I’m a couple of books into my series, the main characters are much more fleshed-out and I have a much better idea of how these particular characters would move themselves toward the scene the story’s really all about. So it’s a lot easier.

Mel
    @melodyjoy

@zee

I do both. Sometimes, I take forever developing characters and stuff like that, and sometimes I have this huge, awesome plot thing going on in my head.

Like you said, “big scene” is also something that I do.

MELODY

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest