fb

What would a dorm full of guys look like?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions What would a dorm full of guys look like?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    NCStokes
    @ncstokes

@ericawordsmith Oh sweet butter crumpets, that’s funny! I get shipped at inopportune times too, but never with random strangers! XD I’ve been meaning to chime into this thread for a while, but if you’ve got all the information you need, that’s fine. I was just going to say that the dorm would probably be pretty messy… and with stuff that makes no sense. Like, stuff that should have gotten thrown away a long time ago, or something just *inches* from the drawer it goes in, but inexplicably not in the drawer. There’s my two cents, if you want ’em.

I’m the Gandalf of my family, by the way. *wiggles eyebrows*

*shameless self promotion* https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

Ooh, this is such a cooool topic.  *stalks* (not celery stalks btw)

@wordsmith
    Any thoughts, wise one?

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

@ericawordsmith Hey, there!

So I’m certainly not a guy… but I have had some experience with guys dorms/cabins. My family used to be in charge of Senior High camp every year at a summer camp near where we live… and my cousins and I got to be the deans. We would check on the cabins while they were in the sessions or eating meals to judge them for cleanliness and so forth.

It was honestly kind of interesting. No phones/electronics were allowed at camp, so we would never find any of that stuff. But each cabin we entered was different in its own way. Every year, there would be one cabin that we would deem “the cabin to rule them all” because for some strange reason… it was immaculate. Like, way more than the girls’ cabins. There’s always one that is spotless. It depends on the personality of the people staying there.

But then other cabins… yeah. They were your “typical” guys’ cabin. Beds unmade, clothes everywhere… sometimes the smell would be bad, other times it wouldn’t. But either way, it was a mess. Again, though- sometimes, even with all of the mess, it was better than the girls’ cabins.

But there were a few things that really stood out in certain cabins. One time, my brother and I found a watermelon under the bed. Like, a literal full-size watermelon. And then there was another time when they had bedding hanging from the rafters. Not sure what that was all about. Or the time when we found a completely empty sixteen pack of Mtn. Dew on the first day. These cabins only had like eight/ten people in each.

But we never saw any books. They spent most of their time with each other, I think. Who needs books at camp, right? Every once in a while we might find a board game. But for the most part, the guys just didn’t really come prepared, exactly. They just came to go with the flow. To do the next thing that was planned.

I know this is camp I’m talking about, and not dorms exactly, but I hope this helps. A good thing to keep in mind is that most guys you meet are going to be more focused on the here and now- “what are we doing next?” This is why many of them are so into video games. Of course, there are always guys that despise that stuff because they prefer looking ahead and actually accomplishing something that will help them later in life. But yeah. The biggest tip I have would be to focus on the present when writing about guys’ weird habits of messiness and junk food and video games. XD

(Also, I’m another one of those crazy people that has seven kids in the family.)

Artist. Actress. Fantasy Fiction. MBTI Nerd. Star Wars. Marvel Films. Piano. Jesus Freak.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn @parker @ncstokes Yes I did, and it has been extremely useful. XD It helped that there was already a funny story surrounding it (my little sister sees a guy in his twenties walk past us in Buc-ees and tells me in the most dreamy voice she can conjure “An ugly man just walked past! You could marry him!”). All I had to do was decide to agree with her that I was engaged when she continued to tell me we were perfect for each other a month later. XD

@lianajdouglas
    You’re ANOTHER ONE???? O.K. Which one in the fellowship are you?? And where do you fall in the rank? Good night… that makes… Five SE folks from these sorts of families!! I think.

O.K. Down to the actual theme of the thread. XD

@parker

Oops… Welp, ye aren’t off the hook yet evidently! XD If you ever go do take the test please let me know what your results are!!

O.K. That’s all helpful to know… especially one character is sort of like that and though he’s not a MC, he has a room with one of the MCs, so he’s actually one of the harder characters to write. All the guys in that room have odd personalities. XD

@ncstokes

No, everybody contributes something!! I like the drawer detail… XD Even small details are helping paint a picture in my mind of what this should look like. 🙂

Hello Gandalf!! 😉

@lianajdouglas

That was hilarious. XD XD XD Man… That sounds wild and it was super helpful!!! Good night, how do you smuggle a watermelon into camp??? Well, one guy (that I am heavily basing a character off of) from Music Camp did manage to bring a pool noodle… Why he thought to bring that, I’ll never understand. Actually I take that back… XD

That really gives me a ton of good ideas. 🙂 That was super helpful, thanks!!!

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@ericawordsmith

Lol, this topic has got to take first prize for sheer hilarity! 😀

I get the whole shipped thing…I’m the oldest of four girls, and it happens. And definitely the uglier, the more dreamy the sister’s voice. Haha!

I would input, but I don’t have anything relative to say, so…. *waves* …bye for now!

@parker

Take the MBTI test! 🙂 Here: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@selah-chelyah

*Flashes wide innocent smile and curtsies* Thank you my dear! 😉

Yes… *sighs* it is true… It’s as if all your siblings have this idea that you really do need their help in the area of matchmaking. It is quite the burden to bear… XD

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

@ericawordsmith

Sorry, not sure what you mean by “fellowship”…? But I’m the oldest child in the family. My siblings are under my command. XD And I’ve never had any problems with siblings shipping… not a thing around here. Perhaps I scare them too much…? Laughs  We’re not a very “romantic” family.

Yeah, we were really puzzled about the watermelon… especially because it belonged to a guy from our group-one of the teens from our church had brought it without us knowing. XD

And ya, I’ve seen pool noodles before, too. XD

Artist. Actress. Fantasy Fiction. MBTI Nerd. Star Wars. Marvel Films. Piano. Jesus Freak.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@lianajdouglas

The Fellowship of the Ring. 😉  Which seeing as you listed Marvel and SW in your signature and not Lord of the Rings, I take it that is not your flare? Ahhh… another oldest child! 😉 *Bows* I commend you for keeping the younger ducklings in a row! I try to do the same… But some of them are just as stubborn as me, so that can be a bit of a challenge. 😉 It doesn’t help that I can do things that an oldest child should not do to have fun with younger kiddos… which has included everything from sliding down a tube slide that was just about too small for me to get through with two three-year-olds (my cousin and sister) while wearing boots to dancing around/fainting in front of security cameras at our house so that my sisters can watch me be silly on the monitor. I don’t know if that is just an ENFP thing, but I have to ask… you’re an ENTJ female, what does that look like in an oldest girl? 🙂

Well… At music camp the guy with the pool noodle also adopted an orange and named it Kevin. He dragged that thing all over camp and got quite the reputation for it. XD I guess when I guy likes his fruit, he likes his fruit!!

I may have to incorporate that as a detail if you don’t mind me using it, I have a certain character who I could see doing that. XD

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

@ericawordsmith

AH. I see what you are saying. My apologies. XD

Oh, I’m definitely a LOTR fan. But pretty much every writer is. And there’s only so much room on the signature. 😉 So, yeah.

Nods  Eek… Yep, definitely seeing ENFP right there. XD I… would probably never do most of that stuff.

Ah, the wondrous ENTJ. The stereotype describes my personality as an intimidating commander. I often do feel this way. It’s hard sometimes to remember that people have feelings and that their feelings are important to them. Shrug  I’ve been called “bossy” many, many times.

But it’s fun. I’m not really one to share how I really think/feel with most people, so my siblings and I aren’t as close as some people seem to be with their siblings. But we still have a blast. Our idea of fun is different, though. We spend a ton of time playing games together… board games, video games, sports, etc. We can all be sorta “dramatic” without being actually dramatic. Not sure if that makes sense. XD Acting is a part of life sometimes. And we’re a very musical family, so that happens. And then being a PK adds a lot to what our family life looks like. But… yeah, we’re not as… crazy as some families can be. Pretty down to earth and sensible. Shrugs  Unless, of course, Mom decides to have fun. XD

Raises eyebrow  Alright, that… is interesting. Why do people always name their objects “Kevin”?

Oh, go right ahead and use the watermelon. XD If I didn’t want you to use something, I wouldn’t have said it.

Parker Hankins
    @parker

ENFJ-T

That’s what I got!! 😀

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@parker Thats funny.  Im ENFJ-A.  Although theres times I act a lot more like ENTJ.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Parker Hankins
    @parker

I’m also wondering why this thing thought I relied on feelings more. I mean, I think ALL THE TIME!! Never is there a moment when I’m not thinking. But, from the descriptions and things on there, it describes me in a creepy way. HAHA!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@lianajdouglas

*Wipes sweat of forehead* Whew, was a little worried there!!

So.. Which of the fellowship (if you assigned everyone in your family to the character they matched best) would you be??

*Curtsies* Yes, you see an ENFP before you. Only, don’t pin rainbows and unicorns on me or believe everything you read about the type because some of it is very true and some of is not descriptive of me at least. I think some of it was written by some ESFPs who thought they were ENFPs.

O.K… I’m about to say something really odd, and I will probably repeat this statement many times in my life. Here it goes. XD

I love you NTJs, you are amazing, fascinating, wonderful people (most of you) and I love those two types, they are probably my favorite MBTI personalities!!! You are very interesting to read about and I do a ton of research on you guys. I love talking to you NTJs and hanging out with y’all, you are simply awesome!! You almost make me wish that I were an INTJ or ENTJ… but life as an ENFP is so much fun that I wouldn’t want to be anything else!!

Well… ENFP can be quite bossy too… and take charge people to boot, only we desperately apologize for clapping in people’s faces afterwards to get their attention after the two-minute deadline is over. XD ENTJ I think is just more of an all around leader and does a better job consistently making sure things are done and done in an orderly, timely way.

Y’all sound fun!! 😉 I love musical families!! What instruments do y’all play and what style of music is the general favorite? And since you mentioned dramatic… Do y’all ever give family films a shot? We’ve made a collection of ridiculous home movies that have been super fun. Family movies are the best…

I have no idea. XD Unless it’s because of Up.

Thanks!! That is such a weirdly fun detail. 🙂

@parker

Oh cool!!! I will do some research on that type, that will be helpful to know!! A quick note on the feeling thing… I’m the same way with my type. I would consider myself a very deep thinker and I’m definitely not the brainless goof ball that ENFPs are often made out to be, yet I am still very much an ENFP. Probably with you… My brother is an INFJ, and he’s not at all brainless or illogical. Yet he is much more sensitive than my dad who is an ISTJ. My dad is more of the one who tells you to stop crying and get over it, my brother is the mentor sort of person who just lets you cry before giving gentler counseling. Things will probably get to my brother a lot faster than they get to my dad, but my brother is much more of the kind of person you want to tell everything to when you’re crying. Does that sound sort of like you at all?

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

@ericawordsmith

Hm, I’ve never thought about that before! XD That’s a cool idea. But also… that is a really tough question. I… would probably end up being Gimli, I think. *Laughs*  I’d probably have to talk that over with my brother, though. He might have better input than I.

Oh, don’t worry. My best friend is an ENFP, and I know the personality type better than most of the others. Those stereotypes are so messed up sometimes. XD

*Smirk*  Yeah, I get that a lot. *Flips hair*  XD But to be honest, I believe _NTJs just enjoy fascinating the other types. We like going against the cultural norm.

I play the piano… I’ve been playing for almost ten years now, I think. It’s fun. I’ve got some siblings that play the violin and my dad plays guitar. Oh, and my mom owns a cello. But she doesn’t have much time for it. A friend gave it to us last year and Mom’s always wanted to learn. XD It was really random.

Family movies… Hm. That… would be a dream. My parents are sadly not into that sort of thing. We do a lot of skits and stuff at church… but my family thinks homemade films are weird for some reason. *Sigh*  Oh, well.

@parker

So the thing is… T/F types aren’t based on which type thinks more and which type feels more. Everyone thinks, and everyone (unless you’re a psychopath) has emotion. XD It’s based on why you do the things you do. A Feeling type prefers to make decisions based on how they feel or how those around them feel, while a Thinking type prefers logic and what makes sense to accomplish the most and to be the most successful. A Thinking type isn’t going to be concerned that they may hurt another person’s feelings as much as a Feeling type will be.  (Not to say that Feeling types can’t be harsh or that Thinking types can’t be in tune to emotion… but they often prefer to think this way.)

But I think where you’re possibly getting mixed up is actually the iNtuitive factor. The test said you are an ENFJ. (I’m not a huge fan of the tests though because it is incredibly easy to type yourself wrong and they’re normally based on stereotypes and actions instead of thought processes… but that’s beside the point) The iNtuitive types tend to be very analytical. They enjoy entertaining themselves with more abstract thoughts and prefer to be focused on what could be (as opposed to the Sensing types which focus on what is).  I’m not saying Sensing types aren’t great thinkers or analytical, but they prefer to focus on the world around them in the present rather than the world that could be. Which often shows itself as being less of a thinker, if that makes sense.

But really, this is a very shallow definition of the types. If you’re suddenly interested in MBTI, I’d recommend reading more into the cognitive functions. *Shrug* But you don’t need to be, don’t worry. XD

Wow… sorry for the long rambling post that doesn’t have anything to do with the actual topic here. XD Oh, well.

Also, if you guys really don’t care about this stuff, please don’t get annoyed. Not that I really care, but it makes things a lot simpler and easier for me if you aren’t. XD So just go ahead and ignore all that up there^^^. XD

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@ericawordsmith

XD! IDK how old your siblings all are, but it’s a whole lot better now than when my siblings were younger. 😀

@parker

That is really fascinating…and I think it makes sense. 😛

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest