fb

What would a dorm full of guys look like?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions What would a dorm full of guys look like?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    His Bard
    @his-bard

I’ve never been in a dorm/bunkroom type sleeping arrangement, so I can’t speak from experience. But I can tell you that such a setting would, among other personality types, probably have ‘that one guy’, who would likely be similar to me if I ever had been in that situation.

Bed at least half-made, with only a few articles of clothing draped on the foot, the rest contained semi-neatly in luggage. Guy would be sitting on bed quietly, listening to music, writing stories (or doing whatever else), and rolling eyes at madness ensuing around him. He would likely have some aspect that gains him at least some small amount of respect from the others (perhaps he crushes them all in a video game or ends up pulling off some epic prank against the dorm’s usual prankster).

I will say this in relation to the group as a whole: if there is anything around remotely along the lines of airsoft bbs, rubber bands, bottle caps, and so forth, a large number of someones WILL be flicking them at each other at every opportunity.

Spoken words are forgotten. Written word lasts forever. Writers are the most powerful mortals to exist.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@his-bard

Love it!! XD That is helpful to have in mind for the guys who don’t want to wrestle. πŸ™‚

Rubber bands… Good night. Will have to include that, my brother is so proud of knowing the “scientific way of shooting a rubber” right now. XD

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@ericawordsmith As far I can tell there isn’t usually one ringleader, but it does tend to be the younger guys who start stuff. And it usually goes, goes, goes, and then people drop dead.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith You’re moving? Are you moving out of state? *holds breath with excitement*

Haha, honestly I don’t know who I would be. Hmmmmmmm. I’d say I’m probably be Pippin because I tag along with everyone else on their adventures, but as I grow older I get some of my own. xD

What about you?

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@taylorclogston

O.K. Thanks! πŸ™‚

@evelyn

No *shudders* absolutely not. Yes, I am going out of state this fall for college, but my family is staying more of less right where we’ve been my whole life. We just needed to move closer to my dad’s work so that he can get more sleep. πŸ™‚

I’d have to agree… Yes, I’m probably Pippin too. XD I’m always into trouble of one sort or another… And without meaning to of course!! Yet it still happens all the same.

I think when I’m with siblings I’m Pippin, but if I’m alone I’m much more of a Frodo. In the family setting, though, I’m absolutely Pippin. XD

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith That’s great. xD

*sighs*

I love all the Middle Earth characters. The Fellowship is simply lovely. Sometimes its just too beautiful and I have to cry.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

I know it… I have a wretched inability to cry in books or movies (I can actually gasp and sob, but tears never get past my eyelids during the reading and watching), so I would cry too, but I can’t. XD

Middle Earth… it’s such a rich and vivid world, sometimes it’s hard to realize that it’s not actually something that was made up. It makes a fantasy writer shake in their boots knowing that their manuscript will never reach the heights of Middle Earth.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Ha. xD I’m sorry you can’t cry during a movie. It makes me feel better when overcome with the sadness of the story. All my favorite movies made me cry. And cry really hard. So take that as you will. o.O

I’ve only cried once over a book though and that was a long, long time ago…

Middle Earth… it’s such a rich and vivid world, sometimes it’s hard to realize that it’s not actually something that was made up. It makes a fantasy writer shake in their boots knowing that their manuscript will never reach the heights of Middle Earth.

Amen.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn *Nods miserably* Thanks for the condolences, I wish I could cry too… XD I can cry after the movie if it really upset me, which I have done before, but during the movie, nope. πŸ™

πŸ˜€ I constantly think that to make the LOTR films, they pretty much had to do historical fiction because of the histories of that world and the massive amount of research they must have had to do to bring it to life on screen. XD

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@ericawordsmith – So, firstly Lord of the Rings, because what is more important, one of the greatest fantasy books ever or a guys’ dormitory? πŸ™‚ I would love to say I would be Sam, but I’m probably Pippin. Maaaaybe Merry, but probably Pippin. Notice, however, how not one person has mentioned anyone other than hobbits. I think it’s because those characters are sort of… unobtainable heights. I mean, immortal elves, warriors, ancient wise wizards… they’re sort of pinnacles of character heights that no one would actually be like. You could exhibit qualities similar to them, but in the end, the hobbits are the most relatable characters.

Now, to your real question. I have never been in specifically a ‘guys’ dormitory’ but speaking in a combination of experience from my brothers and friends bedroom and the overheard noise on camping trips, etc., I have a few things to say.

Yes, it will smell and most likely be messier than a girls room. Guys just seem to have a better tolerance of a mess than we do, and they smell. Face it, the room can smell awful if they’ve been in there a while. How a bunch of guys act when they’re together… there will be a bunch of things being tossed, like water bottles and pillows and practically anything. If you’ve got a decent sized group, likely there will be a couple extreme goofers that other people laugh at, but don’t really join in to an extreme. There will be taunts and jokes and challenges and likely some physical activity or competition.

A lot of my life I’ve spent with only boys, because my closest sister is six and half years below me, so a lot of stuff is ‘the big kids’, meaning me and the two brothers I’m sandwiched to. Then a lot of the things we do when our friends join is just their friends, and not mine, because I don’t know too many girls who would want to go to the theater and see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, but I digress. Point being, I have spent just as much time with groups of guys and girls, so that’s what I’m drawing on for that information.

Oh, and another thing, I highly doubt that boys are like girls where we turn off the lights and proceed to whisper to each other across the beds for another hour. If a guy would like to confirm this, he can, but that’s my take. They just don’t do that thing.

Also, it really does just depend on what kind of guys there are. It could be quiet conversation and a couple in earphones and laptops and maybe one or two battling it out on a video game system, or it could be absolute bedlam with things being thrown everywhere and super loud and stuff. If you could define the people in the dorm better, it would help see what kind of stuff would be going on.

Funny story about a dorm… πŸ™‚ It wasn’t actually a dorm, but a cabin, but some friends and I went up to a camp in Michigan for a girl’s weekend, and they gave us the medical cabin. We joked that they were prepared for our high number of injuries, because there were just casts and crutches lying around. That dorm stay was mostly laughing, laughing, hair messing around, a bit of teasing about boys, and more laughing, and trying to see who could jump off the top bunk with the least noise and realizing we were stupid to try and carry open cups of hot cocoa across the camp grounds at twelve o’clock at night when we were just laughing and spilling it and laughing more because we spilled it. So yeah, that was great fun. πŸ™‚

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Parker Hankins
    @parker

I, unfortunately, have never had the chance to have guy friends my age. It’s kinda sad, but oh well. I learn to ignore being shipped with every girl. XD! But anyways, I would be a guy who couldn’t stand a mess! I would hate it!!
    (I’m super concerned with how I appear to people. I can’t stand not smelling right, looking right, and appearing right.) I would NOT play video games. (Those things are just time-consuming. Can’t I talk to a friend instead?!) (Okay, I have been told since I was thirteen I acted eighteen, so maybe some of this seems too mature.) I would be very refined, never say a dirty thing, and stay out of conversations that aren’t serious in some way–never dirty jokes or topics in negative ways.

Okay, maybe I just contradicted everything I guy normally is, but I don’t care. Well, I kinda do, since I want to live up what is expected of masculinity, but … yeah.

Hopefully, this is informative.

(Part of the reason I don’t have guys friends is most are super immature and don’t relate to me. I hate sports, y’all!)

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

Yes, we do things in order of importance. XD

Well… @wordsmith said he was Gimli (if I remember correctly) and my Tolkien Friend is hands down Gandalf. In our family our Gandalf is actually the most accurate… My INTP sister, whew! She is the Gandalf of the family, and she is quite the personality. XD Actually… the other really accurate match is my five-year-old brother. He is Boromir to the bone.

When I say matching your family to the fellowship, you sort of have to go by who fits what best, and only a few will actually be perfect fits. Like, who will ever actually fit Legolas?? We had to go with the youngest just because she’s the three-year-old queen of the litter and one of the most uppity, prissy and popular of us all. XD My brother who has Merry would probably be Aragorn, but he’s only Merry as long as I’m Pippin because when we’re together, we’re often goofy together, and that’s when I’m most often acting like Pippin.

O.K. I had a couple of thoughts about Pippin as we three ENFPs all said him… So, if I were to be completely trying to match who I really am in the fellowship, I would actually be Frodo. I was shocked recently with how much I’m like Frodo while watching the movie. Pippin is an ESFP. If somebody were to tell me I had the S quality… (not that the S quality isn’t awesome) I would probably be pretty fired up. XD My N quality is the one I’m most proud of actually, so don’t ever tell me I’m an ESFP (no offense to the ESFPs out there!) Yet I’m not quite an INFP either… I think being an ENFP is like being a really quirky INFP. I’m sort of borderline INFP, but I don’t have stage fright and I have a mischievous streak, so there ya’ go. So, in reality, we’re probably much more of the moodier, less frivolous characters, but something about being an ENFP makes us appear like Pippin sometimes. πŸ˜‰ What do you think?

Oh boy, this is bringing back so many camp memories. XD

I’ll go ahead and deal with that since this is a long post. Whispering after dark… One of my favorite camp memories comes from that. It was about three in the morning, and I believe it was the morning I had stumbled into the other room to try to get some sleep (the other room had two giggling ESFPs who were not even trying to sleep yet). That night at chapel a guy had gone on and on while holding a guitar about this gushy sentimental, feel-good story about an eagle and being an overcomer in struggles. He literally went through five minutes of his testimony and said he was going to sing a song about what he thought that eagle would have said to him. Everybody was bored, waiting for this sweet little song, we all knew what was coming, when he sits down in a chair by the mic, prepares to sing- and screeches like an eagle three times before getting up and walking off-stage. Well… That story became horribly funny at three in the morning when we were trying to sleep. I burst into a fit of laughter for no apparent reason and my Tolkien Friend was surprised, but she ended up howling along with me.

Sorry, totally random camp memory… Yours is hilarious too!! Aren’t those just the best??? I bet you could go on for a while about those sorts of stories. πŸ˜‰ XD

O.K. That was very helpful!! I haven’t had a ton of time with guys in real life, so I am pretty ignorant as to how they act. My closest sister is six years younger than me to (the INTP) but I’ve managed to find the gals to hang out with pretty much no matter where we go. It is a rare occasion for me to get stuck with the guys (and when it happens, I feel like a fish out of water, but it is hilarious listening to my brother and his friends bantering [and sticking their jeans into their socks for good luck in a game]). I like the idea of pillow tossing, and the thing about the smell… This is actually pretty hilarious as to how many times this has been mentioned!! XD Thanks a lot, this thread has really given me a kick, and it is very helpful!!

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@parker

That was super helpful!! Knowing that there’s different personalities makes this a little daunting… What MBTI type are you? That would be helpful for further research. πŸ™‚

BTW, I’m an oldest child, so I bear the brunt of family matchmaking and that literally means that I get shipped to everybody including a random stranger that walks past us in Buc-ees. I finally learned the secret on how to deal with that woeful problem… Pick somebody you will never meet or see again [which for me was the guy a Buc-ees] and claim you’re engaged. I have successfully convinced my siblings that I am engaged to a guy we’ve named Buck Eese, and it was one of the smartest things I ever did. Sorry that was very random… XD

Here’s another question… What would you do if you were in a dorm without phones or computer access? What could you see yourself doing most the time and had the ability to have almost any hobby, literally almost any hobby that doesn’t require electronics?

@wordsmith
    what do you think you would look like stuck in a dorm (assuming you’ve never been stuck in one before)? Would you be in on the wrestling or reading a book?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Oh my goodness

YOU DID WHAT? 😳😳

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@ericawordsmith, I’m not sure…Someone was doing a personal interview with me, but then I left the YWW workshop and she couldn’t continue. I guess I have to use the test thing online now. XD!

Haha, I’m the oldest child too! That’s an EPIC idea!! I’ll just decide I’m engaged. xD! I totally need to do this!

Well, being a writer, I would write. XD! Well, being a normal person, I would read a book, talk to someone, sing–if others were doing it–, or make up a game of some sort.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest