fb

What would a dorm full of guys look like?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions What would a dorm full of guys look like?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

I know this is such a weird question… But I’m about to reveal just how little I know about how you guys actually work.

At music camp I experienced what it is to be in a girls dorm, and it was… girly. The most intense it got was in truth-or-dare one of my friends was dared to run down the hall without being seen by a more strict camp counsellor. Or when I stumbled into the other room in my suite because at 3:00 AM the girls in my room were still giggling and we were supposed to be up by 6:00. Or when I sat in the elevator trying to help my friend who was crying and eating ice cream. It wasn’t really a wild experience.

I get the feeling that this is not how guys hang out in their dorms… Is it going to be more of nonsense and craziness or lights out, time to snore?

What I do know is that every morning the girls would get their breakfast at the dining hall, sit down and start eating, and then the guys would show up. They generally looked half dead and when we’d ask what was wrong they’d say it was a late night. So… What exactly would a dorm full of guys ages 16-24 look like? I’m trying my hand at a more modern-ish story and this is fun for me, but new.

Because I know that most the girls sat around listening to music and chatting from their beds, this is what comes to the top of my head for a dorm experience, but I feel sorta lost as to how to write about guys in their dorm habitat. Plus this is a school setting, so I’m not entirely sure what that would look like.

Maybe I’m also just not entirely sure what does a group of a lot of young guys look like? I don’t have older brothers so I’m a little ignorant on this one. I guess trying to understand what fun looks like for guys because I am not really sure… And I don’t want to write guys that sound like guys written by a teen girl. XD

If anybody has any insight, please fill me in. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Messy. XD

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

That is me own guess, but how that actually looks has me blanking out. XD

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Plaid shirts hanging off the bunk beds and several half-drunk water bottles strewn around. Also smells weird lol. xD

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

O.K. Ha ha!!! Actually that reminds me of something I could incorporate (camp memory of learning how to climb a bunk with clothes hanging on the end of it in the dark). XD

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith That works lol. xD

And to explain… the only reason I know is because of visiting and seeing my brother’s dorm. It was um… interesting. xD Yep. Talking from experience here about the plaid shirts and water bottles.

Also, the beds are never made and the floor is littered with dirty clothes and sheets. ๐Ÿ˜›

NOW

My sisters’ dorms on the other hand… ๐Ÿ˜‰

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

I have never had the experience of seeing a guys dorm, and my dad didn’t have roommates in college…

This is definitely giving me ideas. XD That is actually helping a lot to envision what the environment needs to look like.

And yes… girls dorms… mess-wise, say no more. XD I’m actually listening to the song that always makes me remember my dorm right now. I’m getting visions of blankets all over the floor, playing with each other’s hair and a sequin pillow. And pop corn.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Sounds great. (:

I’ve never been to a camp, much less yet attended a college, so I’ve never slept in a dorm. Just hung out in one with my sis. <3

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

I won’t say I’m an expert on girls dorms, but it was fun, and I had less sleep than I’ve ever had in my life for two weeks. XD

What number/rank are you in your family? ๐Ÿ™‚

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Fifth! Out of seven. Which is the best in my opinion. Not that I’m biased. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But seriously! Who wants to be the first? You don’t get to see everyone grow up!! And you’re the first to leave. The guinea pig.ย On the other hand, who wants to be the last? I would hate to be the last one to leave the nest. So… lonely. *shivers*

Besides, being fifth I get free dating and life advice. ๐Ÿ˜‰

What about you? What number are you?

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn WHAT?? Another of SEVEN??? I think that means that (if I remember rightly) that… @wordsmith @anne-of-lothlorien you and me are in litters of seven. I could have gotten that wrong…

*Nods* Yep… I’m the oldest. XD I know. It’s fun, it’s very fun, but it is indeed a guinea pig role. And free life advice… You have no idea how awesome it is for you to stand on the shoulders of older siblings who make mistakes and show the younger ducklings what not to do. XD We poor oldest children don’t get that…

Now, here’s my question I have to ask people when they say they’re in a family of nine: Which character in The Fellowship of The Ringย would you say you are? ๐Ÿ˜‰ It’s super fun to go through your whole family and figure that out.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ericawordsmithย I suspected you were an oldest. xD

I don’t envy you… though you seem like the kind of sibling that makes life an adventure for the younger ones. ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s super interesting how each time someone graduates in a family and leaves, the whole house dynamics change to match the new oldest. Just ask your siblings after whenever you leave. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ooooh. Brilliant! Now next time I meet a family of nine I know what to ask. *evil chuckle*

Corissa
    @corissa

@ericawordsmith I only have two younger brothers, but I don’t have any sisters, so I’ve grown up mostly around guys except for a half-dozen or so close girl friends at church. ๐Ÿ˜‰ In general, my brothers are messy, though one is definitely tidier than the other.

Also, I worked at the Indiana State Fair last summer, and even though the guys and girls dorms were divided, they were right across the hall from each other, so we heard a lot of what went on over there. Basically, none of the guys were able to get any sleep until after the midnight curfew (which was strictly enforced) due to a group of rowdy guys (probably about 40% of the guys, but they were a loud minority). If you took away the rowdy guys, the dorm would have been alright.

I’ve also been inside a couple of guys dorms on college tours; one was nice and orderly, the other was a mess once you left the lobby. XD

I think what each situation boils down to is the personality of the people more than their gender. I would suggest developing the personalities of a few of the guys for your personal reference, even if they aren’t main characters, and then constructing the dorm environment from that. ๐Ÿ™‚

ENFJ. Messenger of Christ. "Living a life that demands an explanation."

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@ericawordsmith Though I agree with @corissa when she says to develop personalities and use those as your bases, when you’re talking about teen guys you can chalk a lot of stuff up to teen guy hormones and go off stereotypes to some degreeย =P

This is mostly based off Word of Life cabins, Christian summer camp cabins, sharing a room with my brother for most of my teen years, and stories from some military buddies:

• Lots of body odor =P Sorry. Testosterone stinks. And not helped by:
    • Clothes lying around when it’s more than a day after laundry day.
    • Lots of wrestling.
    • Long nights of video games, mostly. Back in my day, it was Call of Duty and Smash Bros. Nowadays it’d be Fortnite for younger teens and… Probably still Smash Bros. for older teens.
    • More wrestling.
    • When it comes time for cleaning, it gets done aggressively and quickly, but not always perfectly.
    • Yes, there is in fact wrestling.
    • You’re probably not going to include it, but even in Christian cabins and dorms there are usually a lot of dirty jokes. In my experience.
    • There is nothing dirty about the wrestling, though. It is instead noble and manly.
    • Pizza everywhere.
    • If something breaks, you cover it up with something else or prop it up so it hopefully still works.
    • Rasslin’
    • Coffee for breakfast, but caffeinated soda and energy drinks at all other parts of day and night. As you’ll quickly deduce, this may in fact be the prime cause and enabler for most other entries on this list.

I hope this was somewhatย helpful =P

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@evelyn

Haha!! Actually… Sometimes… I make life interesting for my younger siblings by drafting them into short films or weirding them out. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I don’t envy me either. XD I wouldn’t trade places, but I do sometimes wish I had an older brother especially.

Which place in the fellowship do you think you’d have??

It sort of helps that we’re moving right before I leave, so it’s sort of in EVERYTHING is changing mode. XD

@corissa

Thanks for the ideas, I guess make sure some are more rowdy than others.

The message I think I keep getting is messy, messy, messy. XD

@taylorclogston

HAHAHA!!!! That was hilarious!!!

That actually affirms only two stories that I heard from the guy dorms.ย  1. They took the mattresses off the bunks to wrestle on them in the day room 2. They took turns slapping each others backs to see if they could see hand print welts (upon which the most popular, classy, youngest stinker of a camper took a rubber band and snapped it across one cellist’s red back).

Probably two things that would help me to write this effectively, is who starts these nutty charades, and once they decide to go to bed, is it climb in bed turn out the lights or is there calm down time between that? I know that’s sort of an odd question, but is it usually go, go, go, drop dead? XD

Thanks y’all!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest