What Inspires You to Write?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions What Inspires You to Write?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Zee
    @zee

Hello All! I’m starting a short series on my blog about writing inspiration, and I’d love to know what some of the young writers/authors here have to say.

Here’s how it works–you answer the question “What Inspires You to Write?” and email it to: btznvntATgmailDOTcom. The answers don’t have to be long or elaborate, I just want to know what inspires you! I will post them to my blog over the next few weeks. If you prefer to use initials or a pen name instead of your real name, please let me know.

Best of all, I’ll give an ebook copy of “Wrong Place, Right Time,” the first book in my Shards of Sevia series, to the first five people who send me their answers.

Please post your answers on this thread as well, so everybody here can see them!

Arindown
      @arindown

What inspires me to write?

Writing, for me, I think boils down to two things. 1. Sharing the desperate beauty of this fallen world. And 2. the recognition of my place as a character in God’s master-piece story.

Inspiration is something that’s hard to pin down, but I think it usually goes back to something beautiful I see. The last ray of sunshine breaking through storm-clouds. ย That heart-tearing scene of sacrifice in a movie. A horse trotting, tossing her mane in the wind.ย A soldier, standing tall, with blood, and dirt and camouflage smeared across his face. My kitten, running to me, climbing on my lap, and purring against my chin. A vulture soaring on the wind above autumn trees.

The light is never so beautiful as when it’s contrasted with the dark.

My writing is also a way of praise, and even worship sometimes, to the God of the universe who created me, a unique character, and gave me a place in His epic story. As one of His characters, I get the privilege to be like Him as an artist and smith of words. I also get to re-imagine His tale of forgiveness, love, grace, and beauty, and tell that tale again to others.

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Zee
        @zee

And I totally forgot…please, if you have a blog/website/etc. of your own, please send me the link so I can share that too when I post your inspiration.

Zee
          @zee

@olivia, @kimlikesart, @mischievous-thwapling, @hobbitchild, what inspires you to write? I’ve tagged you all because I’d love to hear your answers and share them on my blog, but don’t feel pressure. I also still have some books to give away…

If you’re interested, please share your thoughts with me at: btznvntATgmailDOTcom.

@zee

Thanks for tagging me. ๐Ÿ™‚ Cool idea.

Can I answer it on here? Or do you want me to email you?

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
            -JRR Tolkien

@zee

Here’s the answer if you don’t mind me putting it on here. If you want me to email it to you, I can later.

Part of what inspires me to write is my love of making the people around me laugh, and writing short, funny stories is a great way to do so. But I also write because I’m learning that I love doing it more than I ever used to, and it’s so much fun sitting down with my writing notebook and scribbling away. ๐Ÿ™‚ And last but not least, I’m inspired to write because reading is one of my favourite things to do, and it has become a dream of mine to publish my own book.

Oh, and I do have a blog, along with a friend, but it’s just for the two of us, so you can just not add it. Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

-JRR Tolkien

Zee
            @zee

Thanks, @olivia! It’s great to hear your thoughts. I’m glad you posted your answer here, but please do email it to me as well, so I can get you your book.

Gracie
              @kimlikesart

What inspires me to write? So many things. I will list them below…

– Dreams I have at night, that are so involved, and vivid, and believable. I write them down, and have turned two into books. One a novel (Dystopian), another a novella (Contemporary/Survival). It just seemed wrong to let them slip into eternity.

– Other times, random things inspire me. Take, Biology last year. Did you know some viruses look just like giant robot spiders? https://i.pinimg.com/564x/6d/b4/7f/6db47f3580fda34e83cece786fb3b8ca.jpg There were so many other amazing things, that I took them all, and turned them into a Science Fiction. (:

– Yet further, when reading the Bible, a particular story or person, will move me. I’ll feel the urge to tell the story again, from one of the people present’s eyes. It is amazing, and I learn so much about God, and the Bible, because I ask questions I never would have before.

– Some movies and radio programs have also sparked my imagination. I take some circumstances, and use them as writing prompts. Upon finishing, the prompt has been changed, whittled, and sometimes obliterated completely, to fit the story that stemmed from it.

– My history book has also been a wealth of ideas. So many people inspired and made me think. People I won’t mention, because I fully intend to write Historical Fictions about each of them. They all had strong character despite hardship, or, a lack of character and regretted it.

– And then there are games I play with my sister and friends! Barbies, stuffed-animals, ourselves being the players… I got a novella/novel out of a game we played. I remembered the plot, and wrote it down over a few days. (Doing research for historical accuracy as I went, but, that is where it stopped.)

– Music too! There is a song that has inspired me to write a story. I have it outlined.

– And several comic strips! I have pulled several true stories from each. Chopping out, and pulling in, making them fiction. Adding and cutting, to have another outline, for a story about forgiveness and sacrifice… (I’m kind of excited about it.)

I suppose I’m a sponge, sucking up inspiration wherever it’s possible. So, I hope this was what you were looking for, or helpful, Mrs. Zee! Thank you for the tag. (:

Jominkreesa

Passion means to be willing to suffer.

@zee

Okie dokie, I’ll send you an email. (Sorry, my family just moved to another house this past week and it’s been pretty busy.)

-JRR Tolkien

@kimlikesart

That’s awesome how much inspires you!

I get inspiration from multiple different places, but definitely not as many as you listed! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜› I’ve had really strange dreams as well, and one of them I outlined for a story, but I’m not sure if I’ll actually write it. It’s sorta strange and I’m not sure if it will make much of a story. Though I guess I can always add stuff to make it better and get the kinks out.

Oh, and one time I had a dream about someone proposing to me, and the funny thing is, it was a guy from my town who would NEVER ask me to marry him!!!!! But it was SOOOOOOO funny, and I wrote it down in my journal. I might try to make it into a story and just change the names (lol), but it wouldn’t really be that funny unless you knew who it was about. But anyway. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It’s super cool that you get inspiration from so many different sources. ๐Ÿ™‚ I should keep my eyes open from now on and keep a paper in my pocket so I can jot anything down that catches my eye. I’ll at least try it for today.

-JRR Tolkien

Mischievous Thwapling
                @mischievous-thwapling

@zee

Cool! But before I do email my answer and post on here, quick question: (and this is if they are still books you can give away) How do you give us the book?ย  Is it just a link in the email? I’m just wondering bc this is my parents computer, so they don’t really want me downloading anything on it ๐Ÿ™‚

No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader ~RF

Zee
                  @zee

Good question, @mischievous-thwapling! I do still have one or two books to give away. I’ve been sending them as downloadable files, either PDF, epub or mobi (for Kindle or Kindle App.) So yes, unfortunately, you would have to download something in order to read the book. But the files are not huge, and they are clean.

Zee
                    @zee

And that reminds me… @olivia, I still need your email so I can send you your book!

Mischievous Thwapling
                      @mischievous-thwapling

@zee

Ok, thank you! I’ll talk to my parents about it ๐Ÿ™‚

No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader ~RF

@zee

Oh, I totally forgot! We’ve been really busy lately because we moved to another house, so this week is gonna be mostly transitioning and getting into a routine. I’ll do it right now.

-JRR Tolkien

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest