fb

What Genre do YOU Write?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions What Genre do YOU Write?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

I write… pretty much anything. Except horror… Fantasy, Contemporary, Sci-Fi, Steampunk, Dystopian, Futuristic, Superhero AU, Historical Fiction, Adventure, Mystery, Romance…

What inspired me to write was probably the 3/4 years I went through in middle school where I didn’t read anything, because I thought all the books were terrible. Twilight and the likes was popular, and I’m not really a vampire/supernatural fan. Neither was I interested in reading YA books where the authors took romance a little to far. So when I was–oh, probably 12, I sat down with a notebook and pencil and start sketching out a story. It was terrible, and horrible reminiscent of Lotr, but I was hooked. 3 years later, that story has turned into my current WIP, and many others(to many to count!) have sprung up alongside it.

Another thing that influenced me was my love of psychology. I love to study people, to know why they do things, how their brain works, and why they make the decisions they do. I love characters who have tons of emotional baggage and issues(call me the Angst Queen if you like), and with writing I got to take all my favorite characters, my favorite parts about them, and mash them all together until I got this terribly broken, messed up character that needed to be fixed. (I know, I’m strange. #INTJthing)

Over the years, I have now fully converted into a coffee-loving, dragon-obsessed writer who always carries a pencil/pen wherever I go. Not to mention I’ve perfected wearing a cape.

*epic cape swoosh*

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@girlsetfree I used to write A TON of historical fiction, so I’m kinda tired of it right now ๐Ÿ™‚ I still like to read it though and I plan on picking up that genre again in the future. I’m writing a sci-fi right now. I’m just in love with the creative possibilities of that genre and fantasy as well.

Also, I am terrible at writing mysteries. ๐Ÿ˜‰

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

I write fantasy. I can make up my own rules and my own stuff and don’t have to worry about the facts. XD Well, I have to worry about the facts in my world…

I have to blame Jaye L. Knight for getting me started in fantasy. I had never really been a fantasy fan until I read her first book. Then I was hooked (and still am).

I write free-style poetry, because, why not? It’s fun and a good way to communicate hard topics and emotions through words. And write about baseball. *dreamy sigh*

I also write fan fiction. Why? Because I love the characters so much I have toย tortureย hang out with them. (Hey, yes, I said torture. Pain brings out the best (and worst) of people.) And it typically is cheesy or way over dramatic. XD

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

Contemporary Romance, Mystery/Thriller, and fan-fiction ( ๐Ÿ™‚ ) are my primary genres that I write in, but I have dabbled in Dystopian, Historical Fiction, and Fantasy.

Karen Kingsbury inspired my Contemporary Romance, Dee Henderson inspired me to write Mystery/Thriller, and all the fandoms I am a part of inspired my fan-fics ๐Ÿ™‚

Red haired Disney Nerd. Proverbs 3:5-6 ENFP-T

AnneTheStorynerdGirl
    @annethestorynerdgirl

@girlsetfree

That sounds like a really cool genre to write in and definitely sadly empty of Christian books. My brother wrote a MilitaryFiction/Thriller novel because (of his message of course but also..) it is a genre people like to read but one where the world mostly produces really graphic, un-edifying things. So I totally get what you mean. ๐Ÿ™‚ Recently we actually found a few well-written Christian ones if you want recs. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Btw you’re not the only ‘realistic fiction’ writer here. ๐Ÿ˜‰ *raises hand excitedly* I write Historical Fiction!! Why? Hm… I’d say because I love telling real-life stories and remembering heroes and ‘time-traveling’ readers back to live in old times. Plus my favorite books are in that genre. ๐Ÿ˜€

Collector of real-life stories. Chocolate enthusiast. Narnian.

GirlSetFree
    @girlsetfree

*suddenly appears from her hibernation*

I can’t resist replying to your post,ย @annethestorynerdgirl . I meant to stay off the forums for a while (deadlines and such) but this is just tooย  nice.

So you understand what I’m trying to say!! That’s so encouraging!! Yes: PLEASE recommend me to great Christian thriller writers. And your bro’s book. I’m getting really excited here!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t wait!!

*does happy dance* YAY!! Let’s band together, shall we? ๐Ÿ™‚ *In a deep, commanding voice: “Welcome. Here are the realistic…” Whatever.*

๐Ÿ™‚

I would really like to get to know you better, but my time is very limited throughout this month. I’ll talk to you after my major deadline is over. In the meantime…What are your favorite books? (you said hist-fic, right?) My fav right now is The Trident Deception by Rick Campbell. Fantastic submarine thriller. ๐Ÿ™‚ The author is a really nice guy as well.

Well, goodbye until June, or whenever we meet again!! *hugs and waves*

GirlSetFree

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by GirlSetFree.

Writer. Thinker. Christian Gal. Canadian. Singer. Blogger. Health Nut. Author. Lumerit Scholar.

The Golden Light
    @the-golden-light

Hi, this is the first time I’ve written on a writing forum, so hopefully I am doing it right. :p

My sister and I wrote an adventure fantasy book when I was like 11 (it is terrible [but I like it], we still have yet to fix it) and recently I have been working on a medieval adventure series. Which… it isn’t non-fiction, but the world is made-up (because I didn’t want to get the culture and all completely right *laughs and hides*). That isn’t fantasy though, is it? ๐Ÿ˜€ I have also written a few short stories and inspirational essay things.

Anywhos, you all sound cool!!!’

-The Golden Light

I am not weird, I'm limited edition. ENFP

Sarah vdH
    @sarah-vdh

Generally I stick with fiction– fantasy and historical fiction being at the top. I like the freedom of other worlds and the lesser need of getting all the facts right. I was also a highly imaginative child (HA. I still am.) and tended to play in other worlds or with magical beasts and beings in this one.

I’ve always loved reading about other worlds and making them part of mine, but I was always limited to what was available and appropriate. And there wasn’t– I should say, isn’t– that much around. I think I agree with many of the previous posts when I say I want to write things I wish I’d been able to read back then.

It's a dangerous business, going out your door... who knows where you'll end up.

Anonymous

@toklaham-veruzia

I write High/Epic Fantasy because of Brandon Sanderson too!ย  *high fives*

Anyway, it’s mostly because of the Mistborn trilogy, but also because of his whole Cosmereย thing going on… and everything.ย  His works are all just so awesome and that’s what encouraged me to write in Epic Fantasy.ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

Parker Hankins
    @parker

I write mystery, mystery, mystery, thriller, and fiction. C. R. Hedgcock and Frank E. Peretti inspired me to write these genres.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Anonymous

@girlsetfree I write historical fiction!ย  I am inspired by authors like Elizabeth George Speare and G.A. Henty and the Bible.ย  I LOVE learning about ancient famous people, and then putting them in my stories!ย  All seven or so of my most prominent, current WIP’s are set 203 A.D. and before.ย  And I write because I want to do more than just write an interesting story – I want my books to impact peoples lives!ย  History is just as relevant today as it was then!

*grins* I can still write about dragons though, if I go back far enough in history.

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

Amen, Ariel Ashira! Like really, “Go sister!!” (Literally, sister.:] ) Totally agree! History is so important, and most certainly relevant, and I`m pretty sure I would be lost without writing within its confines anyway! ๐Ÿ™‚

*Wonders if anyone out there loves India in a mission sort of way as much as I do, even though this is relatively unrelated to the current topic!*

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Selah CJW.

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

GirlSetFree
    @girlsetfree

Hey, @parker; mystery, thriller, and fiction are my fav genres as well!! And I absolutely love C. R. Hedgcock’s books. Glad to have another thriller enthusiast here!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous, I love to read G.A. Henty and The Holy Bible as well!! Historical fiction is fascinating. Keep it up!!

Writer. Thinker. Christian Gal. Canadian. Singer. Blogger. Health Nut. Author. Lumerit Scholar.

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@girlsetfree, I’ve heard that G. A. Henty was good. A lot of people tell me.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Samuel
    @samuel

@parker I hear a lot about him too but I can never bring myself to read it for some reason.

I used to write sci-fi/fantasy. Like, the real deal–Spaceships, planets, it had it all. But the catch was that there were no laser-blasters or whatever. Everyone had swords and bows. It was weird. It was cool, but weird.

Now I write primarily fantasy and I grow increasingly interested in what might be called “electropunk”? I probably made that up but it would be something that utilized advanced technology, like exo-suits and high-tech AI, stuff like that. Think Iron Man.

No one reads these anyway

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest