fb

What Genre do YOU Write?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions What Genre do YOU Write?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    GirlSetFree
    @girlsetfree

So.. Just for fun.

What genre(s) of stories, books and stuff, in general, do y’all write in? And why?

What influenced you to write in that particular genre?

🙂

(some brave soul–or Sparky Emberling–can start us off… )

Writer. Thinker. Christian Gal. Canadian. Singer. Blogger. Health Nut. Author. Lumerit Scholar.

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Yo!

So I started out writing in the sci-fi genre for this reason: superheroes.

I love superheroes, their origin stories, their powers, and their arcs. I grew up reading comics and watching every superhero related show that existed in the early 2000s, and since then, my love has only grown, because I learned to write about it.

But my novel is in the fantasy genre. I don’t have a reason for that, specifically. It just…sounded fun? And it is. Nothing like mermaids, archers, princesses, and dragons to make a story sparkle.

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Quinn O’Fallon
    @quinn-ofallon

Fantasy, all the way. I tried writing sci-fi, but it wasn’t me. I spent a lot of the time wishing I was writing a fantasy novel. I still like to throw dashes of sci-fi technology in there, though…

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@girlsetfree I write fantasy and dystopian. Bryan Davis’s novels inspired me to write fantasy (plus a bunch of movies I watched as a kid), and Nadine Brandes’ Out of Time series inspired me to write dystopian. I mainly write in these genres because I like to explore other worlds, especially fantastical ones and ones that are futuristic but don’t have too much strange technology 😛

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

GirlSetFree
    @girlsetfree

Okay. I finally dug up enough courage to actually go along with my own thready… 🙂

I am writing in the Military Fiction/Thriller genre. Why? Because it’s my favorite genre nowadays. Perhaps that would change with time, but for now… that’s how things stand. Why is that my fav genre? I love the armed forces, the political thrills and world-ending tensions, and the challenge of balancing world-level events with more personal, emotional interactions between characters. Plus, I think that this is a genre that are missing good Christian authors.

Right now, I’m into submarines and ICBMs. Be aware and beware. 🙂

Writer. Thinker. Christian Gal. Canadian. Singer. Blogger. Health Nut. Author. Lumerit Scholar.

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

I write high fantasy. I was inspired by Brandon Sanderson’s cosmere to create an immense, detailed universe of my own, a project I’ve been working on for the past year or so. So far I’m only a fraction of the way finished, but I like the ideas I’ve developed so far.

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Lady Iliara
    @lady-iliara

I definitely write fantasy, mainly because most of my favorite books were fantasy and I grew up imagining and acting out little “stories” when I played. The very mindset is part of me I suppose, because I just haven’t had ideas for dystopian or sci-fi or historical fiction. Once a long time ago, I had an idea for a girl who lives in a dystopian world, but in the opening scene she gets transported to a fantasy world, so it wouldn’t count. (Also I was 8.)

Which brings me to a minor question: is steampunk a different genre than fantasy? Is it a sub-genre? (Is it even a genre?) What do y’all think?

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

Sarah Baran
    @ethryndal

I write fantasy because Tolkien.

*as Sarah wins the award for most involved answer*

INTJ ➸ https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Lady Iliara
    @lady-iliara

@ethryndal How true. In fact, that may be the most correct answer… 😛

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Lady Iliara.

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

@girlsetfree I generally do coming-of-age. (aka bildungsroman)

I’m in the very beginning stages of outlining and plotting my first novel, but it looks like it will definitely be a coming-of-age, with some elements take from mystery and historical fiction.

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂 https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I write fantasy, primarily, ever since I read the Magic Kingdom of Landover and Shannara books by Terry Brooks. (Before that it was mystery, but we’re just going to forget about those…) I also write sci-fi/dystopian (my main sci-fi world is also kind of dystopian, but it mostly comes across as sci-fi so… I’m never sure how to classify it, lol.) since I began reading more YA dystopian. I may not have enjoyed the majority of the YA dystopian I read, but it did influence my writing. ;D

Primarily, though, I write fantasy. I like the freedom and flexibility I have. It’s really just a blank canvas. You can do just about anything with it. As someone who has too much desire for control it’s nice to be able to just write freely.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

aster
    @aster

I primarily write fantasy.  For NaNo a while back, I wrote a dystopian story and I loved doing it, but I realized that it wasn’t my strongest area of writing.  So I write fantasy, both portal and high fantasy and throw in some dystopian elements for fun.

GirlSetFree
    @girlsetfree

Ohh…. Lots of fantasy-writing people over here. Bet we can find a few dragons and unseen creatures somewhere here. 🙂

While I do not want to offend anyone (farthest thing from my mind, really)…is there anyone in SE who writes in other fiction genres besides fantasy/dystopian/sci-fic? Like stories with actual people in reality, something like that…historical fiction, thrillers, cli-fic, whatever.

Just curious!!

God bless you all!!

GirlSetFree

Sam Kowal
    @sam-kowal

@girlsetfree *wicked grin* Let me interrupt your question by informing you that I, too, write fantasy.

Okay. Now that’s out.

There are some people here, I believe, but I can’t remember tags off the top of my head. Over on Kingdom Pen, we were always excited to meet someone who wrote in a different, more realistic genre. So honestly, it’s wonderful to have you here

*nom, nom, nom* *eats donuts*
    Oh, are you hungry? *begins weeping*
    I would have saved you one!

GirlSetFree
    @girlsetfree

@sam-kowal. So you’re saying that I’m the lone ranger for realistic fiction here. *raises eyebrows* Good to know. 🙂

I’m fairly new to KP, having just been accepted there. 🙂 I’ll look around there.. whenever I have a few extra minutes.

Thanks!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest