fb

What drives me crazy about worlds (A lesson-ish in Worldbuilding)

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding What drives me crazy about worlds (A lesson-ish in Worldbuilding)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Like a lot of you, I love and enjoy entering new worlds via TV or book. I find it exciting to be thrown into a situation in another world that is different from the one I live in.

You may not realize it, but when you enter a situation like that, you subconsciously expect the world to be different from our world in many different ways. What those ways are varies from person to person.

Take me, for example: A world will feel the most different by the way a member of that world talks. And when a character using wording that I hear in my world, I get annoyed, because I wanted something different.

Now, when you write a book based in a different world, you won’t be able to make everyone happy, but that doesn’t mean you can’t try, right?

Here are the things that make a world unique:

Terrain: Throw in some strange plants and animals or weather to spice things up.

Speech: If you can make a different language up, GO FOR IT!!! Try not to use words like dude, duh, anything slang, etc…

Beliefs: Make up superstations or religions that different from our world.

Cultures: Foods, expectations, government, make it all different if you can.

And of course, the People: The residents of this world can be whatever you make them.

With this knowledge in mind and a bit of imagination, you should be able to create a world that’ll be as awesome as… I don’t know, give me an example of an awesome world.

Best of luck! – Blade

*Forum Signature here*

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

Awesome as Aerwiar, Middle-Earth, Narnia, Alagaësia… I should stop here. *Sheepish grin* I know too many books.

~Kylie

"Bha e fhathast. Agus bha e air a ghràdh." -Am Maor agus an Rìgh Wolf

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest