fb

What do you think of this story idea?

Forums Fiction Plotting What do you think of this story idea?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Brink
    @nuetrobolt

I’m not sure if my WIP (which I am at the beginning of still) is good.

Its supposed to be a story that people would have told back when the earth was flat, thus, the earth is flat in the book. (The fact about the earth being flat is key to the plot.) But, I don’t have really any real countries or people in it; in fact, a lot of fake stuff happens that would have made it into history books if it was real (stuff like an evil nation that doesn’t exist trying to take over the earth, people sailing (rather falling) over the edge of the world, and earth collapsing onto a world beneath it.).

I also have dragons in it (Vip would be angry if I didn’t include dragons), but they all live below flat earth. I don’t know if there will be magic, and if there is, it would not be very important to the plot and only bad guys would use it.

Does this story idea sound dumb? Vip and I eagerly await your opinion.

Throne Warden of Emberia

Please tell me what you think. Vip and I

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

Why did it start repeating my second last line?

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Parker Hankins
    @parker

I think it’s a cool idea, @nuetrobolt.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@parker, Ok good. Thanks!

It seemed a bit strange and yet cool at the same time to have a story that was told by people who had a different view of the earth.

Parker Hankins
    @parker

My pleasure! It would certainly be original. By the way, @nuetrobolt, I like your dragon Vip. He seems like the coolest pet ever.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

Vip says ‘thanks’! He is the coolest pet ever!

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@nuetrobolt

I do like the idea, and I do have some thoughts. It sounds like the plot of a silly book. Or maybe a book that I would read when needing something not to take seriously. It could be done seriously, but seems to lend itsΒ  self towards parody type writing. Is that helpful?

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Silverclaw
    @silverclaw-bonnetfolly

I really like the idea, the story sounds like it has a lot of potential!

Nola? AZELINE!!! For ChristWard!

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@wordsmith, That is a good idea. I wasn’t intending to do it like that, but I might do that.

@silverclaw-bonnetfolly
    , thanks!

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@nuetrobolt

I like your idea, however, from what I read above, it doesn’t sound like you’ve got much of a plot thought up yet. You seem to have the world building started, and basic plot events, but not really anything else.

So, if that is the case(or not) here’s what I would do to start getting the points down on paper.

• Characters:

Really dig deep into your characters. Take your MC, take your side characters, and develop them. What are their names? Cultures? What is considered an insult to one of them, but not all of them? How old are they? What’s their hair color? Do they have any relatives? There are hundreds of questions you can ask. And if you want a PDF of a character questionnaire, I believe you can find some amazing resources like that at Go Teen Writers!

• World-building:

It looks like you’ve done this pretty well so far, but there are always more things you can work on to make your book even better. First off, you mentioned there was a specific reason for the world being flat. Good. But let’s take that a bit further.

How does the water flow? Does the water that falls off the edge somehow get caught and pushed back up to the surface? (Think like a fountain: the water flows off the edges, but is then caught and circulated back up to the surface, where the cycle starts again.) How does the water cycle affect crops, geography, and settlements? Do people sail often? How does the water cycle affect the fish?

You mentioned not having any cultures, peoples, or nations thought of yet. Well, what does your world look like? Geography affects livelihood. Is your land a string of islands, or a large continent? Islanders grow fruits, grains, raise small animals, and other such things, but usually rely heavily on fish and other aquatic resources for food. Mainlanders, on the other hand, grow large fields of grains, herd large animals(cows, sheep, etc) and hunt to provide food for their families.

Thirdly, what is the geography of your world? Varied, with plains, mountains, highlands, swamps, deltas, and deserts? Or more of a globalized terrain, like a large forest of huge plain? Again, I would check Go Teen Writers for their wonderful resources to help you on your way, along withΒ Helping Writers Become Authors.

Hope this helps! Feel free to send me a notification if you want any more help. πŸ˜‰

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

Well, I actually have quite extensive plots and (I think) pretty good characters, but I didn’t want to give away the whole story.

I have a culture created on the land below, just not on earth. It will hopefully be a series, and in the first book, the prologue will likely be the only part on earth. The rest is on the land below. But, in the next two books they will visit earth quite frequently. I don’t really have to create much culture on earth yet, though.

Thanks for the help!

@nuetrobolt I think it sounds cool! I would read that book. πŸ™‚

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. πŸ™‚ https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@emma-starr, I’m glad you like it! I just need to get to work writing it more often now. I feel like I’m spending a lot of my time on SE or writing my short story.

@nuetrobolt Yeah…the hard part of writing is the actual writing part. πŸ˜€

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. πŸ™‚ https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

Yep.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.