fb

What audience would a historical fiction attract?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions What audience would a historical fiction attract?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Samantha Farrar
    @samantha-pen

Ahh!!! What you say is so true Rifles for Watie is Good because it is from a southern perspective but when he goes undercover he learns to see the southern side. A lot of it was loyalty to your home and both sides had a right and a wrong. A full-sized confederate flag… So jealous. I need more historical artifacts to decorate my room. I have never heard of Jim Hodge before but I bet he’s good. Have you ever read Bill O Reily books? I love them even though they are pretty much all about assassinations they are not weird or morbid. Oh, my new historian, I’m obsessed with is Ben Thompson the Guts &Glory series so so good and amazing perspective from both sides.

*A passionate ENFP author, in training for Christ.*

Samantha Farrar
    @samantha-pen

I would love to Beta read. Hmm…that is a hard question. Do you know what part of the war you want to make your book about? and possibly consider including the prewar stuff. Though don’t change your storyline to do so. You guys make me jealous I simply cannot get my hands on a single GA Hunty Book.

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@samantha-pen I’ve read Rifles for Watie *squints* a long, long, long time ago. I need to reread it…I’ve heard of Bill O Reily but I haven’t gotten my hands on one of his books yet. Never heard of Guts and Glory but sounds like something I would like! I’m…very interested in…gore…

You are an awesome person! We’ll probably be like 80 years old before I finish just warning you…

It starts when war is announced but I think there will be some pre-enlistment happenings. Not sure…they did a bunch of reconnaissance missions behind lines so there will be a balance in battle and story so to speak.

E-books…hundreds…free…that was my Christmas one year…a kindle and a hundred Henty books.

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

Samantha Farrar
    @samantha-pen

Cool…I will be checking that out. I am studying for the Sat right now so I am struggling to make revising and reading a part of my daily schedule but it is well worth it. Hey don’t worry ;D I thought my first book would take an eternity and well… it’s still in revising but the first draft is finished. It’s okay to have a not so perfect draft that you took a while to churn out just keep writing. I hope to still be able to read when I’m 80 anyhow so it doesn’t make much difference!!! Oh, random cool fact… did you know that Lincoln asked Lee to command the Northern army. You probably know this second one but some people say the south might have won if Albert Sidney Johnson had not been killed and furthermore he could have been saved but told the doctors to care for someone else.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@scarletimortalized

YES!!!!!!! Oh, if you haven’t ever heard In Freedom’s Cause by The Extraordinary Adventures of G. A. Henty, YOU MUST!!!!!! It is the BEST!!!!!!!!

Not sure how to respond to that in way that works well with words…. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I have Confederates in my family history, and I’m rather proud of them. 😉

And yes, I love that quote!! Oh dear Sam…. Samwise the Brave…

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@ericawordsmith

@samantha-pen

@scarletimmortalized

Yes, I have read all 100 of the G A Henty series (most of them twice and some three times, actually!) , plus multiple short stories and newspaper correspondences/articles/stories he wrote. His works are in the Robinson Curriculum which we use (it is AMAZING!), and so I got to read them all, all the time.

Have you heard of the site Gutenburg.org? They have nearly all 100 of Henty`s books, and you can read them online or print them off for free!!

I have listened to four or so of Heirloom Audios Henty Audio Dramas, and have their “In Freedom`s Cause”. Have you ever read that book, or just listened to the audio drama? The books are SO much better than the audios!!

Have any of you read any of Henty`s books, then?!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Selah CJW.

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Samantha Farrar
    @samantha-pen

@selah-chelyah

I have not but hope to soon. I have 4 other books I am supposed to be reading currently though so ya know. I’m not sure if I have heard of that particular site but my brother in law showed me one or two places GA Henty book are online. Thanks though. 😀

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@samantha-pen I love random history facts!!

@ericawordsmith
    I’ve listened to that one!! I absolutely love it!!! Though I must admit I had a hard time giving up the name Archie…and a few other details…I can’t wait to hear them all!!

Especialy *taps fingers together* if they do my favorites….

@selah-chelyah
    Yep! Read all of his books, except two that I can’t find…My absolute favorite is ‘Rujub the Juggler”

RoseMaryLouise
    @rosemarylouise

@scarletimmortalized Absolutely write it! I am a HUGE fan of Civil War era historical fiction, and YA is definitely what I would read. I also would have to agree that stereotypical “Southern Belle, Union Soldier” romances are highly overrated, however I’m the kind of gal who loves a book with romance, even if it’s a side plot or background detail. It sounds like you could really make this awesome!

E/INFP-T To truly understand, you must have experience. I neither understand, nor have experience.

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@scarletimmortalized

I agree, I like the books much better, and the names Ned and Gerald in nearly all of the audio dramas get a little too-used! And they took out so much content in “In Freedom`s Cause”. 🙁

How did you find the Henty books you read? Did you print them off like I did?! So glad you had the access to all those. What are your favorites? I must say that “Rujub, the Juggler” was my least favorite because of the whole spirits and channeling thing… otherwise it probably would have been one of my favs, as well. :_

~ Created to create ~

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@selah-chelyah

Yeah…I am rather attached to the original names.

I honestly can’t remember when I first found Henty…its been a long time. I had all his books on Kindle. I really like the Dragon and the Raven, In Freedom’s Cause, Saint Bartholomew’s Eve, and Dash for Khartoum. Yeah, I think that one was one of Henty’s weirdest books, but I love the characters!

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@scarletimmortalized

Me too, totally!

I love St Bartholomew`s Eve.. it is definitely one of my very favs, too. SO MANY favs, though!! :_

~ Created to create ~

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Writing Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest