fb

Well, I’m Back.

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Well, I’m Back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Quinn O’Fallon
    @quinn-ofallon

Hey everyone! I don’t know if anyone remembers me, but I was active on the forum a while back before I dropped off the face of the cyberplanet. I’ve been an on-again, off-again sort of writer for years now, but this year I finally decided to get serious about writing, and I figured part of that was involved in a writing community again, so here I am 🙂

So, a little about me: I’m an INFP horse-crazy girl who’s been obsessed with stories and writing since about 5th grade. I’m currently going to college for web design and development and also minoring in video game design because Legend of Zelda BOTW is AMAZING and I’d love to have a hand in creating an interactive storyworld like it someday. Right now I’m about 3/4 of the way through writing a sci-fantasy reimagining of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, hoping to finish it within the month. After that, I think I’ll try to relaunch my blog (coded from scratch, of course. Gotta get some coding practice in!). Favorite books/series include The Wingfeather Saga, The Search for Wondla, Out of Time, and most anything Jane Austen.

Enough of my life story, then. I have a question for y’all: what’s your favorite way to write your stories? I used to handwrite everything, but I got a typewriter earlier this year and now I can’t imagine writing without it 🙂

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@quinn-ofallon

Hello! Nice to meet another INFP who loves horses!😁 And you love the Wingfeather Saga! *claps*

I’m Grace. I write about wizards, horses, and very flawed characters. My favorite way of writing is in my bed in the early morning, on a computer that isn’t hooked up to the internet.

Not all who wander are lost.

Quinn O’Fallon
    @quinn-ofallon

@arindown Lovely to make your acquaintance! The Wingfeather Saga is definitely my favorite series of all time. Only thing that would make it better would be some more horses 🙂

Erynne
    @erynne

@quinn-ofallon

Hi!! I’ve already talked with you a bit, so you already know that I’m Erynne, but I’m an INFJ who also loves horses. I enjoy writing fantasy, music, and all different types of art. I prefer to write in a quiet place with no distractions or outside when the weather is amazing. Although, since out computer is most likely to snap in half if it gets picked up, I can’t do either. Here’s some questions for you:

Do you do any kind of art or play an instrument?

What’s your favorite movies? 

And

What’s your best tip you could give for writing? 

(I promise this isn’t a sneaky way of getting advice, it’s just curiosity :P)

"There are no mistakes, only happy accidents."
    -Bob Ross

Quinn O’Fallon
    @quinn-ofallon

@erynne

Oh, I love writing outside! I’ts finally warming up a bit where I live, so I can start doing it more often soon. I’ve been swamped with school and work this week, so I’ll come back and answer your questions later 😉

Lona
    @lonathecat

@quinn-ofallon

Hey there, welcome back! 🙂

Ooh Sci-fi Shakespeare! That sounds fun! It reminds me a little of the StarWars Shakespeare by Ian Doescher. Have you heard of them?

Hmm.. what do I like to write with. I’d say if I know the general idea of what I’m writing, then typing. However, if it’s just brainstorming or organizing different ideas then I’d handwrite it.

Quinn O’Fallon
    @quinn-ofallon

@erynne

I like to bookbind sometimes (I made the book I wrote part of my WIP in) and I play ocarina. It’s a really relaxing instrument to play and it doesn’t take much practice to sound good, so it’s perfect for me. Favorite movies… Well, my all-time favorite is The Scarlet Pimpernel from 1982. I actually read the book first and loved the movie even more. I also like most Jane Austen movies. I guess I don’t really have a lot of favorite movies, just a lot of favorite tv shows. (Mandalorian, SW Clone Wars & Rebels, WandaVision, Doctor Who… you get the idea.)

My best writing tip (or at least the one that’s been the most impactful for my own writing) would be to not wait for the perfect time to write. For a while, I thought that I should have everything else in my life under control before I could sit down and write. And I had always read to set a specific time every day to write, so I tried to do that too, but that kind of system just didn’t work for me. The first year and a half I was working on my WIP, I only got around 25,000 words written.

(cringes inwardly)

So this year, I’ve decided to just write 2-3 pages every day, even if school and chores aren’t done. I’ve found certain times of day that work best for me, but I’m not trying to put a hard start and end time on my writing sessions anymore. And it’s worked out pretty well; I’ve written 50,000+ words just since January 1st (which is still mindboggling for me to thiunk about) and I’ve written more consistently than I ever have before.

So that’s my little writing tip. 🙂

@lonathecat

Thanks! It’s good to be back 🙂 I’ve heard of those books, but haven’t gotten around to reading them yet. They sound like something I’d like though, so I’ll have to give them a try soon.

Erynne
    @erynne

@quinn-ofallon

Ok, that’s really good tip. I’ve tried to make a planner and a day to day basis of how many words to write, and it NEVER works. I get too busy, and I don’t feel as motivated when I do that (which is weird because that’s basically the entire point of it)

I’ve been working on my WIP for a year and I’m only at a little over 21k words so you’re definitely doing better than I am. It takes me like a month to write two or three pages XD

I like a ton of tv shows too, but I’m not a SW fan. I am a baby yoda fan, but I’ve only seen clips of Mandolorian (don’t get mad for not calling him Grogu, I never know which one people prefer XD)

-Bob Ross

Quinn O’Fallon
    @quinn-ofallon

@erynne

Yeah, I’ve started so many planners and I inevitably forget about them a month or two later. The closest I get is a spreadsheet where I log my writing. And he will always be baby yoda 🙂

Erynne
    @erynne

@quinn-ofallon

Yeah, same.

It’s definitely a much cuter name XD

-Bob Ross

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest