fb

Well-done dystopian novels…where can I find 'em?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Well-done dystopian novels…where can I find 'em?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Narnathron
    @sarah-narnathron

I’ll second the recommendations of Brave New World (read it for Western Lit two falls ago; good book, but it’s something you read to make you think rather than something you read to enjoy) and the Out of Time series (haven’t read them myself, but have heard nothing but rave reviews from those who have).

Jill Williamson’s dystopian series is called Captives. I’ve heard that it’s good but hits on some, um, mature topics. It’s clean, just probably more for older teens.

Depending on whether or not you want pure dystopians, Bryan Davis’s Reapers series might interest you. They’re sort of a cross between sci-fi and dystopian, I guess? Maybe science fantasy and dystopian? Excellent books, a bit dark at times, but clean. I’ve read the first two and would definitely recommend the trilogy.

Welcome to the masquerade.

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@morreafirebird You’ve already probably got a ton of suggestions, but I thought I’d mention the Out of Time series by Nadine Brandes and Swipe (and the following books, but I haven’t read them yet) by Evan Angler.

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

I have one and only one! @morreafirebird I have no idea if anyone has already suggested this book, butΒ Counted WorthyΒ by Leah E. Good is really good! She’s a Christian author!

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@sarah-narnathron *nods* that’s partly the reason I read classics — to think. It’s the YA books I read to enjoy, though it’s pleasant when I find books that make me think and are enjoyable.

That’s why I’ve been avoiding Jill’s, actually πŸ˜› I read her Blood of Kings trilogy and some of the stuff made me a bit uncomfortable. Perhaps I’ll try it in a couple years or so.

I have found Reapers! I read the first book in January and I really liked it πŸ˜€

Thanks for the suggestions!

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@jenwriter17 I’ve read Nadine’s, but I haven’t heard of Swipe yet. I’ll definitely check it out πŸ˜€

@allison-grace
    YES. I have read that one and I loved it. Leah is such a good writer. I think she’s working on the sequel right now, too?

~ Khylie

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@jenwriter17 @morreafirebird Oh yes, the Swipe series is good. πŸ™‚

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong

I’m pretty sure the only dystopian book/series I’ve read is The Giver, and I really liked it. (I also mostly liked the sequels, but the first one is the best. And the least sad.)

Hero with an overactive imagination

Sarah Narnathron
    @sarah-narnathron

@morreafirebird Good. πŸ™‚

Also, a little off-topic because it’s not dystopian, but if Blood of Kings made you uncomfortable, don’t try her new trilogy, what was it, the Kinsman Chronicles. I had no problem with Blood of Kings, but I read the first Kinsman book, and it made me low-key uncomfortable. The other books might be bettter, though; I haven’t read them yet.

Also, I would second the Swipe series, at least up through book 3. I thought it was good, though not amazing.

Anonymous

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson is a sci-Fi Dystopian and it’s incredably well written with an awesome story plot and structure. πŸ˜€

Anonymous

I cannot believe I just said sci-fi. It’s not really sci-fi, it’s… hard to explain, but definitely dystopian in a fantasyish world.

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@aislinn-mollisong I’m hoping to find that one at the library soon πŸ™‚

@sarah-narnathron
    I’ve heard about that in reviews. I just find stuff like that distracting to read when I just want to enjoy the story πŸ˜›

@ashlyvye ooooh, I’ve heard of that! I actually picked it up at the bookstore the other day, but ended up going with the Reckoners series instead. Have you read those? I heard they’re dystopian-ish, though also superhero.

~ Khylie

Anonymous

@morreafirebird Yes! The Reckoners series is amazing too, but I’d argue Mistborn is still best (and others argue that the Stormlight Archive is even better, though I’m still caught up in the first Mistborn trilogy and I want to read the second trilogy to much to want to read The Stormlight Archive)

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@ashlyvye I’ve heard people say equally good things about Mistborn and Stormlight Archive XD I’ll probably read Mistborn first after Reckoners because it’s so much shorter…and the books will be less expensive. Book 3 of Stormlight Archive is like $35 at my bookstore πŸ˜›

~ Khylie

Anonymous

@morreafirebird Really? Wow. Well, Oathbringer did just come out, so I understand why it’s so expensive. I just get all my books from my library πŸ˜€

Sarah Narnathron
    @sarah-narnathron

@morreafirebird Makes sense. *nods*

Also, regarding Sandersonβ€” the first Mistborn series is definitely fantasy dystopian. (As in, another world’s dystopia, not ours.) And the Reckoners are superhero dystopian. (As in our world’s dystopia.) I highly recommend both.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest