fb

Well-done dystopian novels…where can I find 'em?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Well-done dystopian novels…where can I find 'em?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@Snapper that would be awesome ๐Ÿ˜€ I really hope your querying goes well!

Same ๐Ÿ˜› I tried Hunger Games a few years ago (reaction: meh), I’m trying Divergent right now (reaction: uuggggh), and I didn’t even make it past the first book of Maze Runner.

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Seconding The Giver. I loved that one. Also saying that you should put Fahrenheit 451 up at the top, because that one was amazing. Unfortunately… I don’t have a lot of additional recommendations. XP I’ve published dystopian/sci-fi short stories, but that’s the only other thing I can think of. The majority of the dystopian I’ve read isn’t great. :/

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Inkling-for-Christ
    @inkling-for-christ

@morreafirebird, I would STRONGLY WARN you AGAINSTย divergent. I read the series and it didn’t have a positive effect on me. I actually struggled with depression shortly after for a while.

A series you may not think of is LOTR (Lord of the Rings) its not so much dystopian as it is fantasy and an EXCELLENTย  read

@r-m-archer
    , what and how have you published stuff?

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

I agree with the motion of The Giver. Great book. I just wish the author would write a sequel… I am not the biggest fan of the ending. The movie is almost as good as the book, one of the only movies based off of a book that actually stays pretty true to the story.

I read a good dystopian book a few years ago that I liked, but I cant remember what it was called. I’ll tell you it once I remember it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Red haired Disney Nerd. Proverbs 3:5-6 ENFP-T

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@inkling-for-christ I’ve self-published a collection of four short stories through CreateSpace. It’s a pretty simple process, at least when you don’t need a whole lot of promotion. I’m working toward publishing a novel later this year the same way which I expect to be significantly more work since I actually want to promote it prior to release. But the actual CreateSpace process is pretty simple and I’d recommend it if you look into self-publishing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

GirlSetFree
    @girlsetfree

@r-m-archer, could you describe that CreataSpace publishing experience a bit more in detail? Like, how do you sell, and get the money? How are the books published? Does CreateSpace do paperbacks?

Thanks!!

Writer. Thinker. Christian Gal. Canadian. Singer. Blogger. Health Nut. Author. Lumerit Scholar.

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@inkling-for-christ I’m actually reading it right now…I’m on the third book, and so far I haven’t been too impressed. I’m really sorry that happened to you after reading it ๐Ÿ™ I experienced something similar after reading Hunger Games.

YES, I love LotR! I haven’t read the entire series yet, but it’s definitely an amazing read ๐Ÿ™‚

@kayla-joy
    alright, thanks ๐Ÿ˜€

~ Khylie

Inkling-for-Christ
    @inkling-for-christ

@morreafirebird, Just be prepared for the end. that is what got me…I ahdย never read something like Divergent before. However, God used it for good and gave me a p assion to write higher quality stuff for teens.

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@girlsetfree Absolutely! Sales are totally handled through CreateSpace and Amazon; you don’t have to do anything beyond setting the price. Royalties are directly deposited or sent in checks (your choice) once a month (or possibly once per month that you’ve accumulated >$10 prior to the scheduled payment time? I haven’t been able to sort out yet for sure if that’s a necessary minimum). CreateSpace does paperbacks and ebooks, no hardcovers. If you have more questions, let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rolena Hatfield
    @rolena-hatfield

@morreafirebird Brianna called me in ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes, The Seer Series by Rachelle Dekker is fabulous (I personally don’t agree with all her theology, but it’s still a great read.) The first book is probably the best flavor of dystopian in the series.

Also I third and fourth The Out of Time Series by Nadine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rolena Hatfield
    @rolena-hatfield

@morreafirebird How could I forget! I also would recommend Jonathon Friesen’s Aquifer. Probably my favorite dystopian. It’s a little obscure which didn’t bother me, but sometimes it can other readers ๐Ÿ™‚ (I’ll make a quick note that I don’t recommend his other books because of weird content btw ๐Ÿ™‚ This one was good though)

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@morreafirebird So, I just finished reading the Restoration Series, by Terri Blackstock, for about the sixth time. Four books, Last Night, Night Light, True Light, and Dawn’s Light.Basically, civilization as they know it ends because of a something I can’t tell you cause it would spoil part of the book that knocks out every kind of technology, engine, etc. Cars, TV, watches, machines, nothing works. So these people have to survive being suddenly plunged into poverty and destitution. Very good, Christian author and message, but because of several issues in the books, (i.e. murder, kidnapper who has ‘adult’ book stores… nothing is ever explicit) I would not recommend them unless you’re… 14 or 15. Also, there are some kisses before the couple is married.

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@rolena-hatfield alright, thank you for both of those recommendations! I’m excited to check them out ๐Ÿ˜€

@anne-of-lothlorien
    I’ll take a look at those! And thanks for the content warnings too. Sometimes I wish they were in the description of every book ๐Ÿ˜›

~ Khylie

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

Hmm… I’d try the A Time to Die series by Nadine Brant, a Christian author. They’re really good. I know Jill Williamson also does some Dystopian… you can find her over at Go Teen Writers!

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@sarah-inkdragon I have read the Out of Time series, and I love it! I’ve heard of Jill’s stories too, but I have yet to try them ๐Ÿ™‚

~ Khylie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest