fb

Well-done dystopian novels…where can I find 'em?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Well-done dystopian novels…where can I find 'em?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

Greetings fellow…Embers (or whatever we’re calling ourselves). I’m searching for some dystopian novels with good themes, strong plotlines, and that aren’t Divergent, Hunger Games, or Maze Runnerย  (which are kind of all the same…). I already have 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and Animal Farm on my list, but I’m looking for more. Please smother me with good dystopian book recommendations ๐Ÿ˜›

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@morreafirebird I believe the Seer trilogy by Rachelle Dekker would be considered dystopian. The books are sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, but Iโ€™ve heard good things about them from @rolena-hatfield. ๐Ÿ™‚ The Out of Time trilogy by Nadine Brandes is another popular one.

Lady Iliara
    @lady-iliara

@briannastorm I just recently read the first book in that Out of Time series! I liked it better than I thought I would, though I felt like it dragged a bit in the middle.

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

Lady Iliara
    @lady-iliara

@morreafirebird ย Oh, I just thought of one I read not too long ago. It wasย The Vagrant by Peter Newman (first book in theย Vagrant series). I saw the cover, which is a guy in a cloak carrying a sword and a baby, and I was hooked, hehe!

It surprised me with its ability to show the main characterโ€™s emotions because (SURPRISE!) he does not speak. At all. :O Itโ€™s a very deep book.

I will also, however, give a word of caution, because the author was not afraid to sprinkle some language in; also some of the descriptions were violent/disturbing, plus not-too-vague allusions to mature topics. Itโ€™s really not a must-read, but I liked its themes.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Lady Iliara.

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is probably my favorite classic dystopian novel. For contemporary works, I’ve really enjoyed the Red Rising trilogy, which crosses dystopia with sci-fi, but there’s a fair bit of language in it, so be prepared for that if you decide to pick it up.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

@morreafirebird I second the Time to Die Trilogy. It’s amazing.

And this is a bit random, but is your tag a reference to a phoenix perchance? I remember you liked ’em. ๐Ÿ™‚

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@briannastorm ooh, no, I haven’t heard of the Seer trilogy. I’ll definitely take a look at it ๐Ÿ˜€

@josiah-degraaf darn. I just saw Brave New World in a used bookstore the other day and totally skipped it over ๐Ÿ˜› Thanks for the recommendations!

@gabriellepollack
    I have read the Out of Time trilogy–they’re probably my favorite books ever!

And yes, it is ๐Ÿ˜‰

~ Khylie

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@lady-iliara I just looked it up on Goodreads and the cover hooked me too XD Thanks for the recommendation/word of caution ๐Ÿ™‚

~ Khylie

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@morreafirebird Ahh… well, I guess you’ll know to pick it up next time then at any rate. xD

BTW, my tag name is just @josiah now, so if you’re trying to tag me on something, you don’t need to include my last name. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Gabrielle
    @gabrielle

@morreafirebird

Definitely agree with the Out of Time trilogy recommendation. They were amazing! The Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie was also great, and fairly clean. Also, one of my besties wrote a Christian dystopian novel called Reintegration (author is Ashley Bogner). It started out slow, but the ending was amazing! She also did a great job with strong character developement and a good theme. TheStorySanctuary.com also has a bunch of reviews of various dystopian books with content ratings. (Disclaimer: I contribute to The Story Sanctuary. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Hope this helps!

Avenser and word addict. Full of sugar, spice, and snarkasm.
    gabriellenblog.wordpress.com

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@josiah ah, okay. Thanks for letting me know, because I probably would have kept tagging you as @josiah-degraaf and wondering why it didn’t work XD

~ Khylie

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@gabrielle thanks for the recommendations! And I’ll definitely check out Story Sanctuary ๐Ÿ˜€

~ Khylie

Inkling-for-Christ
    @inkling-for-christ

@morreafirebird, I would recommend the Giver by Louis Lowry. It is a fairly short read but it is fantastic! sadly, I don’t really know of any high quality ones

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@inkling-for-christ I’ve heard of that and watched the movie but have yet to read the book. Thanks for the recommendation ๐Ÿ˜€

~ Khylie

Snapper
    @snapper

@morreafirebird Hopefully my book will be on this Good Dystopian list. ๐Ÿ˜›

Um…. I’ve tried reading dystopians lately, but half of them drive me insane, so… I basically don’t have that many recommendations. But I wish to read more, so I follow this topic.

*melts dystopian novels*

*melts chair*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest