Weekly Scripture :)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Weekly Scripture :)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Chalice
    @chalice

@parker, You’re welcome. 🙂

@eden-anderson
    , Aw, thank you. Preach it, sister! 😉 I’m glad this was a blessing to you!

@selah-chelyah
    , You’re welcome. 🙂 Oh, that’s a neat idea. And yes, I love the Psalms too.

@libby
    , Yes, it still amazes me that God, who could have stopped at just saving us, continues to hold us and be with us through our struggles till the end.

@ashira
    , Thank you! I’m glad I was able to encourage you. 🙂

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
    “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Grace
    @h-jones

This was an enormous encouragement for me. Thank you, @chalice!!

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

Chalice
      @chalice

@h-jones, Oh, you’re welcome. I’m glad I was able to encourage you! ♥

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
      “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Chelsea R.H.
      @seekjustice

So guys, I’m a whole week late for my turn at the Bible passage a week thing.

Sorry.

But I’m here to do it now and hopefully I’ll still be able to encourage you anyway.

These past three months have been the hardest months of my life. I’ve said that before quite a lot of times, but I usually just mean that I was lonely or frustrated, or lacking creativity. And don’t get me wrong, those things are hard, but these past four months have been a step above that.

To start off with, my dad went into hospital in October. We were in limbo for a long time, and he got progressively worse until he died just before Christmas. I spent my New Year writing a eulogy for him (gotta put those writing skills to the test sooner or later :P)

So yeah, it’s been hard. We had constant back and forth trips of taking up a total of five to seven hours a day, there was uncertainty and tears and a host of other things.

But I wanted to share a passage with you today that’s been a great source of comfort to me. The hospital chaplain and my dad read it over and over again, and one of my dad’s dear friends read it at his funeral.

John 15: 1-17

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

I love the picture this passage paints of our complete dependence on God. We cannot do anything without him. Our very next breath is dependant on God. And “abide in His love”? How awesome does that sound. Whenever I think about it, I just imagine God’s massive, strong arms enfolding us in a great big blanket of love.

Honestly, the words here are so difficult to sum up, or to explain, or to understand. I don’t know what to say about them. But I do know that it says, very clearly, if a branch does not bear fruit, it is cut off and thrown away. However, if it does, it is pruned and trimmed–a painful process–so that it will bear even more fruit and so that it will glorify God. God is glorified in our trials, God is glorified by the fruit we bear. If we abide in Christ and cling to the Vine, Jesus will take joy in us, and our joy will be full.

This passage is really awesome, and it’s hard for me to be so open and vulnerable here, when I don’t actually know any of you, but I do know that we all go through trials and seasons of hurt and pain, sometimes they’ll be big ones like cancer or a car accident, and sometimes they’ll be things that might seem smaller, like having a friend drift away, or breaking up with a boyfriend. Whatever it is that is hurting, God is using it to bear even more fruit. I just want to encourage you to turn to God in that hurt and allow him to be glorified and allow yourself to abide in the Vine and in His love.

@chalice
      @ashira @selah-chelyah @parker @h-jones @libby @eden-anderson

(I sincerely apologise if I forgot anyone, I didn’t do it on purpose)

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Parker Hankins
      @parker

That’s very, very good!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@seekjustice Aw, my goodness.  Dear, I really cannot imagine how you must be feeling to loose your Dad.  I’m so sorry!   Thank you for what you wrote.  That is so true and good!

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@rochellaine You reading this?  Seekjustice’s post above?  I think you would like to.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@seekjustice

Wow, SeekJustice! I am praying for you all! Things like that (at least for me) shake life up and throw it around, and cause you to reexamine everything you believe. VERY hard, and yet ultimately for our good and the glory of God. You are such an inspiration! Praying.

Your post is amazing…so true, and SO encouraging when life gets rough. Thank you so much! God is SO good.

And…sorry, everyone. I am not doing a very good job of keeping this topic going. 😛

Assistant Guildmaster of the Awesome Meraki
      ~ Created to create ~

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@h-jones

I had you for the 14th, 3 days ago, so do you want to do this next Monday instead as that got messed up?! 🙂 (That would be this next Monday, January the 21st.)

@pendragon

Can you do the next week instead of this one, so January 28th? Thx for your patience with me, ya’ll!

~ Created to create ~

Pendragon
      @pendragon

@selah-chelyah Yep, can do. 🙂

"If a book is well written, I always find it too short."

Selah CJW
        @selah-chelyah

@pendragon

Awesome! BTW, is your penname from the movie Pendragon?!

~ Created to create ~

Eden Anderson
        @eden-anderson

This is heart wrenching. So, so sorry to hear of your loss. I will be praying for you and your family; that God’s grace will sustain you and his love will uphold you. ❤️

You vulnerability is beautiful, @seekjustice thank you so much for sharing.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Grace
        @h-jones

@selah-chelyah Ah, sorry for the late reply! But yes. (: Only is it alright if I do it Tuesday? Monday is kind of slammed for me. xD

Grace
          @h-jones

@seekjustice Oh man, I know how hard it can be to be vulnerable so I thank you so, so, so much for sharing. That was extremely encouraging and… oh, man, I am so sorry. I will be praying for you.

Selah CJW
            @selah-chelyah

@h-jones

Yeah, that is fine with me! This is really your topic, anyway. 😀 Thx!

~ Created to create ~

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 116 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest