fb

*waves* Greetings, felllow Emberians!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *waves* Greetings, felllow Emberians!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Hey @naiya-dyani! Welcome to the site! Tale of Two Cities is great. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve read it several times and love the carefulness of Dickens’ plotting in it!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Mrs. Skywalker
    @padawanpadme

Hey there, @naiya-dyani , nice to meet you! Your WIP sounds so cool! How long have you been writing?

"I never made a deal with Kanjiklub."

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@naiya-dyani Yes! Of course I love Winnie the Pooh! It’s sooo sweet and lovely. <3 <3 It’s the best.

Yeah, Classics are a mixed bag haha. But I guess that’s any pool of literature from any point in history. ๐Ÿ˜›

I have read a ton of classics, I don’t think I could name them all off. I’m kinda obsessed with them. Some favorites would be Tale of Two Cities. Bleak House (also Charles Dickens and one of the best books ever, though I have yet to meet someone who agrees XD) Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth Gaskill’s Wives and Daughters and North and South.ย And Les Misรฉrables.

Yes, The Lord of the Rings is certainly not modern day pulp fiction. But the description goes to world building, so I don’t mind. Plus its just such an amazing book.

You’ll read it and recognize a lot of things though. For example it was the novel that set the elf stereotype that now everyone uses.

He did it first though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My language is a very Romantic language grammar-wise – though it also has its own alphabet.ย What are your languages like?

See, I don’t view writing descriptions of setting as worldbuilding. That’s just writing. World building is when you come up with the culture and the language and the history of all the different parts in your fictional world. I love studying culture and languages and traditions and lore – I think that’s why I love world building so much. (:

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@josiah Thanks! I need to read more Dickens sometime. Any books you would especially recommend?

@padawanpadme
    Thank you! I’m not sure exactly how long I’ve been writing. . . I think I really starting dabbling in it around fifth grade. No one is ever permitted to read anything I wrote in the time period that followed ๐Ÿ˜› . It was terrible. I mean really terrible.

What do you like to read/write? Just from your username I’m guessing something along the lines of adventure/sci-fi (though I could be wrong; I like Star Wars and usually write in a different realm) ๐Ÿ˜› .

@evelyn
    I need to check some of those books out when I have time! Did you read the fullย Les Mis or an abridgement? My dad (he’s crazy; don’t tell him I said that)(never mind, he already knows) read the full version and said I had to read it because of the intense character development. Needless to say, it’s currently on the back burner because it’s absolutely immense ๐Ÿ˜€ .

Ooh, what’s your alphabet like? Mine is structured by syllables, a bit like the Japanese hiragana alphabet (yes, I can be a serious Japanese nut ๐Ÿ˜› ). What I mean is, in my language you don’t see stand-alone consonants very often. The words are (mostly) a combination of syllables made of a consonant with a vowel after it (such as wa or ko). The word for “thank you” in Cresban (my language; name not set in stone) is “kaishori”. To write it, you split it into its components–ka+i+sho+ri. There are letters for each existing syllable. I came up with fairly simple characters for the vowels, and for every syllable, you simply alter the writing of the vowel a specific way depending on the consonant. For instance, to write “tu”, you would take the letter for “u” and draw a slash through it to indicate the “t” at the beginning.

Wow, I need to quit rambling already ๐Ÿ˜€ . I get excited about languages. . .

Have you studied Spanish or French, or is there another Romance language you learned? Is the speaking style of your language fairly smooth (like Spanish) or more. . . well, more like German? ๐Ÿ˜› Languages can be so much fun! ๐Ÿ˜€

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@naiya-dyani I read the abridged. That was what my sister suggested since I was pretty young. I want to read the full-version sometime though. When I get the time. XD ๐Ÿ˜›

Wow, your language sounds really cool! Mine is only written in a phonetic alphabet and is missing only a few of the letters the English alphabet but then has a few additional sounds. Right now that writing mainly for my usage. I have yet to figure out their alphabet.

I’ve studied Spanish and Latin, which you can tell if you would study the grammar behind the verbs in my language. I assume you studied Japanese..? Have you studied any other ones?

My fictional language is very harsh and hard to speak. I need to work on my pronunciation actually. XD It kinda sounds like Russian or Croatian but minus all the “v”s and “ch”s.

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@naiya-dyani My experience with Dickens is admittedly rather paltry, but I rather enjoyed <i>Hard Times</i> and would list that as my favorite work I’ve read of his so far.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Mrs. Skywalker
    @padawanpadme

@naiya-dyani Wow, that’s a long time you’ve been writing! Kudos to you! And HAHA, I know what you mean. When I first started writing, it was bad. I mean really bad. XD

Thanks for asking! I like a lot of middle grade and childrens’ literature, and I also write it! Contemporary, action, adventure, and I want to get into fantasy and sci-fi soon. (And haha, I think Star Wars did inspire it!)

What do you like to read/write?

"I never made a deal with Kanjiklub."

CleverCraftsman
    @clevercraftsman

I, too, have been here a while doing exactly the same thing as you, so as Flynn says…

Barney Fife
    /BAR-nee fฤซf/
    noun
    an excellent representation of me

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

*pokes head in*
    I did me a locate! ๐Ÿ˜„
    Hallo Naiya! Tell me about youtself, in however much or little detail you wish. I’d love to hear about your personal writing projects, and why you love writing.

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@the-fledgling-artist Heyo! You’ve got dedication! ๐Ÿ˜€ But hey, I enjoy me some thread digging, too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Some basics: I love cats, like learning Japanese, and dabble (not well) in art from time to time. My current WIP is a speculative fiction about a group of teens in a rural mountain village who deal with danger surrounding one of their friends while fighting their own troubled pasts at the same time. Boring explanation, but it gets the basic premise across ๐Ÿ˜› .

I love writing for a few reasons. When I get an idea for a story, it won’t let me go. I enjoy twisting clichรฉs as a basis for stories. One of the things I love most about stories is that I can take an interesting look at a moral quandary and create foil characters to display the different consequences of their actions. A theme of my WIP is forgiveness versus revenge and the different ways it can be lived out. My characters handle their hurt in a lot of different ways, including taking it out on those around them, narrowing their revenge on the ones that hurt them, and stifling the hurt. It’s fascinating to watch!

Tai: I’m sure it is!

Dari: Yeah, you almost killed (character who shall go unnamed) because of that theme of yours!

Me: *sigh* He lived, though?

Yeah. . . my characters are a little bitter towards me right now. . . XD

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@naiya-dyani

It actually wasn’t too difficult, haha. I just went to your profile to find all the threads you’ve created. Your story sounds really great! ๐Ÿ˜€ How long have you been working on it?

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@the-fledgling-artist Depends on what you mean by working on IT! I started one story a while back, then decided it was terrible and just took the half of the story after the midpoint and revamped it, renamed a bunch of characters, redid the plot, and changed a bunch of personalities. It’s barely recognizable from where it was a year ago! I like it where it is now, though.
    Are you working on writing anything right now? What kinds of things do you write in general?

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@naiya-dyani
    Aye, I see! Funny how that happens, isn’t it. ๐Ÿ˜…

I am, sort of, but also not. It kinda depends on what you meanย exactly.ย I have two current writing projects, but neither of them is very typical. My personal aim is to write for graphic novels, so a lot of the pre-writing/brainstorming/outlining is the same as writing for a novel, but the rest of the process is pretty different. Instead of prose, I write scripts, which I then use as a reference and guide for myself as I go about illustrating the story.

My goal is to continue working on both projects throughout next year, however one of them is a collaborative project and is currently on hold until everyone else involved is ready to proceed to the next stage. And then with the other, I’ve literally only just begun working on it seriously, so I have a lot of brainstorming and outlining to do, haha. (Hence why I made a forum topic about outlining, lol.)

That was a very longwinded response, ahaha, whoops.
    It’s hard to explain what I do, since everyone else (that I’m aware of?) writes for novels/novellas/books, As opposed to scripts, comics/graphic novels, etc. Hopefully, I explained myself well enough to avoid confusing you, ๐Ÿ˜….

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest